• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafaelr

i was hoping for a surprise e3 announcement regarding crossplay between all platforms.
guess neo tokyo and the new patch next week will have to do for now.

bjaelke

PremiumShowroom_GIF.gif

Starting June 20, our massive Neo Tokyo Update will introduce an all-new way to view premium DLC with the “Showroom” — an easy-to-navigate portal that will allow you to shop for paid content without having to leave the game to do so.
For example, the four Battle-Cars that initially come with the Collector’s Edition (Aftershock, Esper, Marauder, Masmune) will be available digitally through the Showroom on July 18.

Grinchy

Banned
Most developers would just add this kind of stuff to a sequel. It's crazy how much post-purchase support this game is getting.

I really want that Masamune now though. Damn timed exclusivity strikes again.

Funny story by the way, I always thought I sucked at wall play and just couldn't get the hang of it. Occasionally when I'm near I'd pull it off but coming from a distance seemed really hard. Anyway I found out the other day I have very minor astigmatism in my left eye and picked up my first pair of glasses today. I've played 5 matches, hit every single wall shot and even pulled off a freestyle wall drag to floor pinch since then. Guess I just couldn't see if the ball was actually touching the wall or not......

I feel like I wasted so much time trying to learn it before now.

I think this update will carry us to OT2 when we start showing off our new unique drops and especially when trading goes live. Who's gonna handle it since OP hasn't been around for awhile?

Both Neo Tokyo cars are amazing. I initially thought the Masamune was my clear favorite, but the Esper in red + one of the long plasma/digital boost trails = TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO KANEDAAAAAAAAA

Just when the game was starting to piss me off got lucky and played about an hour in unranked w/Zanejackey (!) He was partied up w/someone named Big Boss and they of course won almost every game (we took one 2-1). So much fun playing with & against a pro and of course saved every replay for study later :)

Lazulic

Just when the game was starting to piss me off got lucky and played about an hour in unranked w/Zanejackey (!) He was partied up w/someone named Big Boss and they of course won almost every game (we took one 2-1). So much fun playing with & against a pro and of course saved every replay for study later :)

big boss is pretty good. all i remember is he was grand in standard which is rare

Grinchy

Banned
still stuck on challeger 1 and the season is almost over..i suppose that's where my growth stop in this game

Next season might have some surprises. This will be the first time that no one will start with any kind of ranking whatsoever and no one will be allowed to just jump in with their high-ranked friends to climb the rankings quickly anymore.

Majukun

Next season might have some surprises. This will be the first time that no one will start with any kind of ranking whatsoever and no one will be allowed to just jump in with their high-ranked friends to climb the rankings quickly anymore.

yeah,i'm suspecting that the only real way to go forward in the rankings is having a team and play only with them..i don't know in other situations..but in challenger 1 the skills of your teammates fluctuate way too much,and not everyone seem to want to work as a team..and in those cases it's almost certainly a defeat

GoaThief

I really don't like the new idea to restrict whom you party up with. I already have multiple accounts not to profit from playing lower tiers (because it doesn't work like that) but to play with my friends whom are all spread at different levels. It basically boils down to one account I only play with higher placed friends and the other with lower/people from my stream/etc. Even with one account lower than the other the new rules will definitely effect me and my friends at times, some of whom I started playing with on launch day a year ago. I may not even have met some of the lovely people I have and enjoyed RL a lot less.

Unranked is not a good environment to enjoy Rocket League in (aside from private matches), and from experience I staunchly believe having the current mix up aides player development especially when you can communicate and effectively coach newcomers or share tips and tricks. This will stunt this massively and may even lead to people throwing games with randoms on different accounts just so they can play with friends (the thought even crossed my mind but I doubt I'll see it through). That's far worse than any perceived injustice suffered from matchmaking based on averaged out ranks between parties.

Time will tell, I guess.

I wish I had friends or a group to play with. I'm sick of being stuck in a rut, league wise and personally as I just can't seem to get better. I sometimes will be the MVP, but most other times I just feel off as I can't get a feel for my team in the short amount of time of a match. I tend to set up passes or set ups since I'm not the best at shots or tricky aerials. I'd hoped after 300 hours something would've clicked for me to be good individually, but I just cant. Granted, I've taken weeks off at a time. I'm so close to Rising Star. Challenger Elite V, but I just lost 3 games in a row and I'm scared of just tanking it. I just want to get to Rising Star, but I just don't see it happening because I just can't make it happen.

Which format do you play RL on? I'm always down for some games and meeting new people.

TheKeyPit

Banned

Can't wait to get my ass kicked by future Champions.

meshwork

I really don't like the new idea to restrict whom you party up with. I already have multiple accounts not to profit from playing lower tiers (because it doesn't work like that) but to play with my friends whom are all spread at different levels. It basically boils down to one account I only play with higher placed friends and the other with lower/people from my stream/etc. Even with one account lower than the other the new rules will definitely effect me and my friends at times, some of whom I started playing with on launch day a year ago. I may not even have met some of the lovely people I have and enjoyed RL a lot less.

Unranked is not a good environment to enjoy Rocket League in (aside from private matches), and from experience I staunchly believe having the current mix up aides player development especially when you can communicate and effectively coach newcomers or share tips and tricks. This will stunt this massively and may even lead to people throwing games with randoms on different accounts just so they can play with friends (the thought even crossed my mind but I doubt I'll see it through). That's far worse than any perceived injustice suffered from matchmaking based on averaged out ranks between parties.

I don't know where you are in the rankings, but I'm ranked at Challenger Elite and I've completely lost any interest in playing ranked because of the mixed party stuff. I mainly play 2v2 games which seems to make this worse. Either I'm playing against Prospect smurfs boosting a Shooting Star/Superstar player or I'm playing with Challenger ranked people who seem to have been carried there by better players. Either way, I feel like half the games I play I'm playing with people who either are not CE or should not be CE.

All I want is to play against people who are similarly skilled, but I feel like I've reached the sweet spot of being paired against smurfs and boosters in 2v2 (blue rank + prospect smurf). Even if the Prospects are not smurfing, I'm still playing against a Superstar who can do things I only dream of doing. Maybe this is not a problem if you're the one carrying players who are worse than you, but I really do not enjoy playing against people who just stomp on me. There's always Solo 3v3, but that seems to be inhabited solely by people no one wants to play with (e.g. ragers and flamers).

I'm really looking forward to coming back and seeing how the ranked mode works with the new limitations. Maybe I can finally get consistently good games without feeling like the match was unfair.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm looking forward to the day that psyonix decides to make a ranked hoops playlist. Please. I like it better than the main game. Give me progression to aim for in the best game mode.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm looking forward to the day that psyonix decides to make a ranked hoops playlist. Please. I like it better than the main game. Give me progression to aim for in the best game mode.

I stopped playing hoops after a couple of days after release, but I support a ranked hoops playlist.

-------

And again some Shooting Stars with Challenger 2 guys and I drop a division when loosing against them. I can't wait for June 20th.

J. Bravo

I don't know where you are in the rankings, but I'm ranked at Challenger Elite and I've completely lost any interest in playing ranked because of the mixed party stuff. I mainly play 2v2 games which seems to make this worse. Either I'm playing against Prospect smurfs boosting a Shooting Star/Superstar player or I'm playing with Challenger ranked people who seem to have been carried there by better players. Either way, I feel like half the games I play I'm playing with people who either are not CE or should not be CE.

All I want is to play against people who are similarly skilled, but I feel like I've reached the sweet spot of being paired against smurfs and boosters in 2v2 (blue rank + prospect smurf). Even if the Prospects are not smurfing, I'm still playing against a Superstar who can do things I only dream of doing. Maybe this is not a problem if you're the one carrying players who are worse than you, but I really do not enjoy playing against people who just stomp on me. There's always Solo 3v3, but that seems to be inhabited solely by people no one wants to play with (e.g. ragers and flamers).

I'm really looking forward to coming back and seeing how the ranked mode works with the new limitations. Maybe I can finally get consistently good games without feeling like the match was unfair.
I can win all my games easily up until division 5 of shooting star. Then I face champion/challenger 3 smurf teams. It's garbage because most of the time I can hang with them but my teammate is not ready for the speed. I would love to face blue star people all the time lol

J. Bravo

i only smurf when i'm hungover and slow and tired. and that will soon come to end because i have just been using my other steam account and family sharing lol

Unicorn

i only smurf when i'm hungover and slow and tired. and that will soon come to end because i have just been using my other steam account and family sharing lol

Why not just play unranked? Why take it to ranked, that's what I don't get. Why smurf in ranked?

Then, why not smurf and play unranked. Why actively ruin other people's attempt at playing/improving?

Unranked has a skill based orientation to matchmaking too. When I first played this game I won 60 matches in a row, now even unranked games tend to be as sweaty as ranked.

People just want to chill and play with a regular distribution of players, unranked shouldn't have a skill based orientation. Not that this justifies smurfing.

Personally I just turn off PC crossplay. I feel that higher and more consistent frame rates offer a competitive advantage, and smurfing and boosting make matchmaking with PC players a problem, and the leaderboards invalid.

Had to shut the game off tonight. Hasn't happened in a longgg time and I was by no means perfect but the string of teammates I had.....what a shit show.

Personally I just turn off PC crossplay. I feel that higher and more consistent frame rates offer a competitive advantage, and smurfing and boosting make matchmaking with PC players a problem, and the leaderboards invalid.

Might have to give this a try some time but not sure it will help with smurfs / boosting as it's easy enough to create additional accounts on PS4. It's actually going to be harder for players on PC once the new season drops.

Had to shut the game off tonight. Hasn't happened in a longgg time and I was by no means perfect but the string of teammates I had.....what a shit show.

Might have to give this a try some time but not sure it will help with smurfs / boosting as it's easy enough to create additional accounts on PS4. It's actually going to be harder for players on PC once the new season drops.

You have to subscribe to plus again for every online account make, so yeah it's a huge pain on console, I don't think many people would go through that. You can use a one-day trial, but that isn't helpful for anything more than that, I honestly doubt most people would bother.

^^^ This is not true. You don't need an additional PS+ account. You just need to create an an extra PSN account (takes 2 minutes and is free).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom