• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Wish I had a montage of all the times I've flown majestically through the air and missed the ball by a good margin.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Had some fun matches, thanks guys! I sucked pretty bad in some of them, did OK in some others, so I guess that's acceptable for my first few online matches in this game.

I gotta say that, at least at my current (not very high) skill level, I think 4v4 just gets too chaotic. I barely feel in control of my own actions yet, and I just don't know what to do in that mess of cars and balls and crap. But it's still fun!

The performance on PS4 gets downright atrocious at times though. I mean, for a game that aims for 60fps it's just way, WAY off that target much of the time. Hope they can improve this.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars! So that's the name of the game I played a couple of years ago.
Downloading rocket league, but I'm pretty sick of psn right now. Offline so often and these ridiculously slow download speeds.

Wish I had a montage of all the times I've flown majestically through the air and missed the ball by a good margin.

Hahaha. I have a really hard time getting used to ball cam so this happens to me constantly. I think I'm about to get an amazing shot on goal but I was twenty feet to the left of the ball.

Also...I do wish they would've kept the same name for this game. The original intro music for super sonic acrobatic rocket powered battle cars was amazing

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So when you all were playing the AI, did you find it really really easy to charge the ball on the kickoff and score?

On Rookie it can be basically guaranteed on certain starting spots since they don't seem to boost at all, but on the other difficulties it won't really work.

owlbeak

The performance on PS4 gets downright atrocious at times though. I mean, for a game that aims for 60fps it's just way, WAY off that target much of the time. Hope they can improve this.
Really? My friends and I played 4 Player splitscreen 4v4 matches last night for hours and didn't have a single framerate or performance issue.

Hasney

Had some fun matches, thanks guys! I sucked pretty bad in some of them, did OK in some others, so I guess that's acceptable for my first few online matches in this game.

I gotta say that, at least at my current (not very high) skill level, I think 4v4 just gets too chaotic. I barely feel in control of my own actions yet, and I just don't know what to do in that mess of cars and balls and crap. But it's still fun!

You didn't play in the rain arena, did you? It's locked for me when its not raining.

Maybe a bigger standard map like wasteland from SARPBC would be a good idea.

I wonder how they are going to deal with map dlc though.

First, they need to be offered as a patch, because some people will not download maps, and that will screw the playerbase.

Second, not everyone wants to play variety maps. Maybe leave the variety maps for private/exhibition, or have a special playlist for 4v4? Adding all four modes for 1 map would really fracture the userbase.

I'd like to see the playlists ideally be:

Social (Unranked):

1v1
2v2
3v3
4v4

Season (Ranked):

1v1
2v2
3v3

Variety (Non-Standard Maps)

3v3
4v4

Ferr986

Just tried this for the first time....

... the fuck did I play? lol that was crazy.

I guess I'm gonna hop onto the advanced training because even at novice AI i ended up losing. I just can't seem to do much other than kick the ball randomly without any kind of control.

Just tried this for the first time....

... the fuck did I play? lol that was crazy.

I guess I'm gonna hop onto the advanced training because even at novice AI i ended up losing. I just can't seem to do much other than kick the ball randomly without any kind of control.

Please do the training. Advanced Tutorial and the first two levels of Goalie/Striker training are great at understanding angle, positioning, and control.

Aerial training is harder, but it's good to know how to just get in the air.

The advanced tutorial gives you great info on flip boosting and hitting the ball from the side.

Ferr986

Please do the training. Advanced Tutorial and the first two levels of Goalie/Striker training are great at understanding angle, positioning, and control.

Aerial training is harder, but it's good to know how to just get in the air.

The advanced tutorial gives you great info on flip boosting and hitting the ball from the side.

Thanks! Will do right now. I just did the basic training so I'm probably missing a lot.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really? My friends and I played 4 Player splitscreen 4v4 matches last night for hours and didn't have a single framerate or performance issue.

You didn't play in the rain arena, did you? It's locked for me when its not raining.

I don't know what to tell you guys. Either you are extremely insensitive to framerate drops, or this game has some issue that can make the performance degrade significantly (and no, not just in the rain). In the 4v4 matches we just played (online, no split-screen) my framerate was seriously down in the 40s most of the time, with tons of screen tearing (although the latter I think might be due to a bug - I turned v-sync off to try without it, and then it never seemed to come back on when I enabled it again). Not smooth at all.

LesPaul

I just played some 1v1 rounds against an NPC and damm this is fun. The controls feel very very precise. I hope the servers work soon (PS4) so that I can enjoy this online.

I don't know what to tell you guys. Either you are extremely insensitive to framerate drops, or this game has some issue that can make the performance degrade significantly (and no, not just in the rain). In the 4v4 matches we just played (online, no split-screen) my framerate was seriously down in the 40s most of the time, with tons of screen tearing (although the latter I think might be due to a bug - I turned v-sync off to try without it, and then it never seemed to come back on when I enabled it again). Not smooth at all.

I really haven't noticed any performance issues either. I haven't seen screen tearing or noticeable frame rate problems. I'm playing 4v4 right now and it's' smooth, even with me swinging the camera around looking for it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really haven't noticed any performance issues either. I haven't seen screen tearing or noticeable frame rate problems. I'm playing 4v4 right now and it's' smooth, even with me swinging the camera around looking for it.

The only time I get a solid 60 is on that one map with no/little grass. Never on any other map. Even in training, when it's just you and the ball, it's not locked at 60. I haven't seen it get this bad before though.

So my marriage is open for some private party right now. We're impatient!
PSN: Alej and Nininou

giphy.gif

Have the stats for cosmetic items worked for anyone playing online matches? They track, for me, if I do offline matches but not online ones. The overall stats work with both but distance driven, time played, etc. don't unless it's against bots.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I might get in an hour in about 5 hours. I played maybe 12 ranked matches and won all and mvp'd all.was up to #16 I the 3v3 global rankings. I'm probably lower now.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Im pretty sure my AI teammates have scored more goals for the other team than they've scored for my team.

iosefe

Alright, just went through a dozen of private games with friends and...

This is how this game should be played. Online is tons of fucking fun.

i can verify this claim. it was me,him, murray, AcridMeat, Fantomena, and another name that escapes me.

3v3's so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom