• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
The press x to skip option at the replay screen following a goal doesn't work. What's up with that? Does nothing.

It only works if everyone presses X otherwise you have to sit through it. Not once in my 8hrs of playing has a replay been skipped, there's always one who refuses to hit X, for whatever reason.

Agent X

It's good to see that so many people are enjoying this game.

I had an interesting experience with ranked matches last night. This was my first attempt at ranked play (or any kind of online play, for that matter), so I selected 3 vs. 3 from the menu.

The first match was a good 3 vs. 3 game, with most players seemingly about at the same skill level as myself. There was one guy on the opposing team who seemed a little more experienced, but almost everyone else was evenly matched. Unfortunately, I lost that game. In fact, I came in dead last on the scoreboard...but I still had fun.

The second game was odd. When the game was setting up the match, it started off by placing me with two other players on the same team, but it never found any players for the opposing team. After that, the game then proceeded to turn the match into a 1 vs. 2 event, where I was on a team by myself facing off against the other two players.

I felt that was rather unfair for the game to automatically make such an unbalanced arrangement on a ranked match. Normally, I would complain...but I decided to play the match anyway. Amazingly enough, I actually won that game 3-2 in overtime! The last goal was a very cool shot where I drove alongside the ball and then executed a sideways flip to knock it into the goal. Naturally, I put that match into my replay file!

Some strategy, after a goal you have nearly five seconds after a goal to continue driving around and collecting yellow boost power ups. Use that time to fill up. Gives you an early turbo boost advantage right at the start of the next round.

Some strategy, after a goal you have nearly five seconds after a goal to continue driving around and collecting yellow boost power ups. Use that time to fill up. Gives you an early turbo boost advantage right at the start of the next round.

Your boost resets after every goal though

Broke 2000 points in one match for the first time! Feels good.

Doesn't feel so good beating up on Rookies though, I wish the matchmaking was better. This was a ranked doubles match, and I (a Semi-Pro) and another Semi-Pro were on one team against two Rookies. Why not split the two Semi-Pros in that situation?

Also I played against a bot in another ranked doubles match. Is that a rule change or was that a glitch? The bot was ridiculous btw, saving every shot and scoring aerials from across the map. I played a season on All-Star and never saw a bot that good, it was weird.

Everyone press x to bypass the replay faster. If you so desire. I happen to enjoy playing that watching a replay after every match. I like that the devs have a system like this in place.

Everyone press x to bypass the replay faster. If you so desire. I happen to enjoy playing that watching a replay after every match. I like that the devs have a system like this in place.

The best thing about the replay feature is that you can rotate the camera during it making it easier to see whose fault it is.

I like the concept, but I hate hate hate how fucking awful I am at the game. I can barely even hit the ball and I have tons of trouble figuring out where I should be vertically. I just feel bad when every multiplayer match we get spanked hardcore.

Also I played against a bot in another ranked doubles match. Is that a rule change or was that a glitch? The bot was ridiculous btw, saving every shot and scoring aerials from across the map. I played a season on All-Star and never saw a bot that good, it was weird.
The bots in MP replace players who drop out mid match (or fill in slots in non-ranked games if you're waiting for more than a few seconds).

They are universally horseshit to the point of game ruining if you're just pubbing it with friends. Someone will score in the first 30 seconds of a match, the other team will have a quitter, and then some sort of ridiculous demigod AI will fuck around for a while. It's very frustrating on an otherwise amazing pick up game. The difficulty level of the fill in bots *needs* to be adjusted.

This is my game of the generation so far. Amazing. And I just started playing today. Any handy tips or tricks? Perhaps a good YouTuber to check out?

Pikelet

I feel like a lot of players underestimate how important collecting the boosts are. If I have a choice between a very low percentage shot on goal or getting a full bar of boost, I will go for the boost every time.

It's especially silly when if you need to run back to defend your own goal, poor players will take a straight path home, when most of the time it will actually be faster to take the long route and go for the boost.

I feel like a lot of players underestimate how important collecting the boosts are. If I have a choice between a very low percentage shot on goal or getting a full bar of boost, I will go for the boost every time.

It's especially silly when if you need to run back to defend your own goal, poor players will take a straight path home, when most of the time it will actually be faster to take the long route and go for the boost.
I've learned to almost only use boost when I need to be in the air. On ground, if you have at least a bit of momentum, just double jump forward instead of using your boost. I end up having almost full boost pretty much every time I need it without having to worry too much about trying to collect it. Only downside to this is you'll be slightly in the air meaning you lose a bit of accuracy for when you want to stop moving forward.

Hilarious! Nice work, man.
Thanks!

I've learned to almost only use boost when I need to be in the air. On ground, if you have at least a bit of momentum, just double jump forward instead of using your boost. I end up having almost full boost pretty much every time I need it without having to worry too much about trying to collect it. Only downside to this is you'll be slightly in the air meaning you lose a bit of accuracy for when you want to stop moving forward.

Thanks!

You also gotta just take the full boosts. Map control is so key

After playing multiple games, this game is pretty radical. I love playing the Goalie and making clutch saves. If any of you guys are on PS4 I'll be on tonight, I'd like to get a 4 player team going. PSN: xVaalbarAx

Past

Anyone else feel that this game would benefit from having commentary or music in-game? Game is a bit too quiet while playing imo.

I've only played five matches so far, but I don't like the game that much. The ball is in the air too much and of all the goals I scored I feel like I wasn't aiming at anything, it's just too random.

Recall

I've only played five matches so far, but I don't like the game that much. The ball is in the air too much and of all the goals I scored I feel like I wasn't aiming at anything, it's just too random.

Well yes you can't expect to be good at something with just 5 matches under your belt. The more you play the more control and understanding of the game's mechanics become apparent. Soon the ball being in the air so much will mean you know how to turn that into a worthy goal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom