• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Oh god damnit!. I had a cc3 I couldn't get the 2 keys I was asking for so after a day of holding it I finally opened it. Breakout Type-S, trade ready. I really want this car but, I know I should sell it while I can. I don't know what to do even though I know what I should do.

Edit: Sold for 14 keys. Will buy it back in a few weeks I guess.

Ahh, so by "sell", people mean they can get Keys for Crates, and that CC1's are now worthless?

I figured as much, but wasnt totally sure

Not entirely worthless. I sold 3 CC1 and 5 CC2 for 4 keys just last night. The rush for CC3 is slowing down a bit now so value may stabilise again soon.

Did they nerf the crate drop rate or something? It's taking forever now.

Asking for money is against the TOS. You can trade them for content, or more keys which is as close as you will get to an in game currency. You CAN trade cash in certain communities but doing so risks a permanent account suspension IIRC.

I'd suggest taking your CC3 to reddit and selling it for 3 keys while you can. Right now the 1's are even a hard sell and nobody is going for the CC2's at all right now from my experience. I'm sitting on a few gathered before the update and they're not an easy sell. CC3 on the other hand go like wildfire.

Ahh, so by "sell", people mean they can get Keys for Crates, and that CC1's are now worthless?

I figured as much, but wasnt totally sure

meshwork

What else sucks about these crates is you cannot even delete them so they build up and pollute your inventory.

UhVrkd7.jpg

I got u fam.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I've come to the conclusion that Psyonix need to update this game to include a more in depth training mode with full customisation options.

Like, give us the ability to set up our own practice drills. So be able to set where the ball is, and set its trajectory, as well as set the starting position of the player.

Basically what brought this thought on is that I'm finally deciding to attempt to learn how to properly wall aerial and do air dribbles. It's hard, and I just wish I could have a set shot to practice from over and over again for it. Do it piece at a time you know? The limited training options the game has really isn't as effective or useful for learning or practicing specific things as it could be. This seems like it would be a relatively simple feature to implement and I think it would be a worthwhile one.

rafaelr

I've come to the conclusion that Psyonix need to update this game to include a more in depth training mode with full customisation options.

Like, give us the ability to set up our own practice drills. So be able to set where the ball is, and set its trajectory, as well as set the starting position of the player.

Basically what brought this thought on is that I'm finally deciding to attempt to learn how to properly wall aerial and do air dribbles. It's hard, and I just wish I could have a set shot to practice from over and over again for it. Do it piece at a time you know? The limited training options the game has really isn't as effective or useful for learning or practicing specific things as it could be. This seems like it would be a relatively simple feature to implement and I think it would be a worthwhile one.

since i´m playing on ps4, i agree. psyonix has neglected training mode pretty much completely and that´s a shame.
if you´re on pc, i think you can do everything you´d like with rocket league trainer

Agreed about more training options. I think Psyonix has implemented a lot of the quality of life features the community has asked for, but training is a big hole on consoles. They seriously need to address it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well I give up. I officially have no idea how I'm supposed to be able to hit the ball off the wall and make it stay close enough to me that I can keep control of the ball. At most I can catch back up to the ball and hit it once more in the air. I do not understand how people essentially get the ball to stick to them like glue when they hit it. I give up. Ive been trying for too long, it's pissing me off and I'm no longer enjoying the game trying.

Well I give up. I officially have no idea how I'm supposed to be able to hit the ball off the wall and make it stay close enough to me that I can keep control of the ball. At most I can catch back up to the ball and hit it once more in the air. I do not understand how people essentially get the ball to stick to them like glue when they hit it. I give up. Ive been trying for too long, it's pissing me off and I'm no longer enjoying the game trying.

It's mainly about speed. You want to be going the same speed as ball or a little slower. I'm pretty good at them but still only get a perfect close ball 50% of the time. But even if you fail more often than not they still one of the best things you can do in free play as they improve your wall hits, setting up wall hits, air roll / car control / boost management after first contact. It's a great exercise that to me has become a fun mini game.

Even if you can't keep the ball close just focus on popping it off the wall and following it in the air for 1-2 hits en route to getting it on goal. I've scored so many sloppy dribbles with a pinch at the end + practicing gets you used to following the ball in air after first touch which can result in all sorts of cool shots / rebound opportunities.

That being said, you certainly don't need to be able to air dribble off the wall to be a good player so definitely give up or take a long break if it's making you not enjoy the game. Number one key to being good at this game is enjoying it :)

meshwork

It's all about the speed with which you approach the wall and timing your jump correctly. Here's a tutorial that I thought explained it in a very nice way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MifUVC9Fxw4

gngf123

Man, CC3 has just been entirely worthless for me so far. Opened 3 and have nothing but the worst decals.

Just going to sell the one I have now, but nobody seems to be going for it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I still haven't been able to air dribble properly yet, but sometimes I'm able to get a few touches on the ball but not have proper control. Getting slightly better, but it's frustrating I seem to be the only one in my skill level that cant do this. Seriously the amount of people I play in 1v1 or 2v2 that I see carrying the ball in the air with ease is getting ridiculous now. It's a common thing I see now.

On the plus side, my aerial ability from the wall appears to have improved. I scored my first ever proper aerial coming off the wall today. Since moving air roll to lb instead of x I found I've been able to adjust my car a lot easier so I can fly where I want much easier when coming off a wall. Before when trying it was a real struggle for control due to not having my orientation right because I just wouldn't air roll because it being on x made it too awkward. I feel like I should have changed this a long time ago.

I have been playing this game from day one and though i get so damn frustrated by it at times i still have so much room to grow that it keeps me coming back. I can't air dribble worth a damn my aerials are improving but still not great. The fact that there is always room to grow and get better makes this game so addictive to me.

I have been playing this game from day one and though i get so damn frustrated by it at times i still have so much room to grow that it keeps me coming back. I can't air dribble worth a damn my aerials are improving but still not great. The fact that there is always room to grow and get better makes this game so addictive to me.

Just curious, what's your play time? I'm verging 900 hours with a fair bit of idling in there, maybe even almost half of it but still I feel like I should be better for the time invested. I try not to stress about that though since as you say, there's so much room to grown and every now and then I'll up my game that bit more. It's so rewarding when you do, even if you still get beat down by some freestyling maniac here and there you get closer to matching them day by day, or in my case more like month by month.

Just curious, what's your play time? I'm verging 900 hours with a fair bit of idling in there, maybe even almost half of it but still I feel like I should be better for the time invested. I try not to stress about that though since as you say, there's so much room to grown and every now and then I'll up my game that bit more. It's so rewarding when you do, even if you still get beat down by some freestyling maniac here and there you get closer to matching them day by day, or in my case more like month by month.

900 as well. I beat myself up a lot thinking of how much better I should be by now but it is what it is. maybe i'm a slow learner but I may finally make it out of challenger this season an i'm doing it without being carried. Baby steps.

900 as well. I beat myself up a lot thinking of how much better I should be by now but it is what it is. maybe i'm a slow learner but I may finally make it out of challenger this season an i'm doing it without being carried. Baby steps.

Seems we're in very similar positions in a sense. Though to be honest, I was pretty psyched for getting out of Challenger last season and I came really close. Unfortunately since the reset the drive just hasn't been there. I've not really put the time into any of them beyond the first 10 matches so most are sitting at Prospect/Challenger. I spend most of my time just playing player matches and getting all sorts of team mates which I think is slowing my learning.

It's a bit of an odd position I've left myself in since I can feel I've improved but I don't have that drive to play enough ranked to get back to where I was. Especially with my ranks being way down the lower end due to barely playing them it sometimes feels like team mates can make a match impossible to win. I really should grind it out though. I've been wanting those blues for so long now.

Seems we're in very similar positions in a sense. Though to be honest, I was pretty psyched for getting out of Challenger last season and I came really close. Unfortunately since the reset the drive just hasn't been there. I've not really put the time into any of them beyond the first 10 matches so most are sitting at Prospect/Challenger. I spend most of my time just playing player matches and getting all sorts of team mates which I think is slowing my learning.

It's a bit of an odd position I've left myself in since I can feel I've improved but I don't have that drive to play enough ranked to get back to where I was. Especially with my ranks being way down the lower end due to barely playing them it sometimes feels like team mates can make a match impossible to win. I really should grind it out though. I've been wanting those blues for so long now.

It's a tough grind. I probably played 5 hours yesterday and stayed didn't move at all because of wins and losses evening it out. I know i have to just be defensive more than anything to carry because that's what most teamates lack. Some days are rougher than others.

It's a tough grind. I probably played 5 hours yesterday and stayed didn't move at all because of wins and losses evening it out. I know i have to just be defensive more than anything to carry because that's what most teamates lack. Some days are rougher than others.

Decided to grind a bit out and got back into challenger pretty immediately in solo standard. You're totally right in that players lack defense and taking that role seems to make boosting out of the low ranks less of a hassle. The only problem is I find I'm best put to use in the air since I can aim way better. Taking those shots at these ranks while playing defense is a pain since it's rare that a team mate is cycling back far enough, or at all, to risk it.

Tomorrow I'll probably see if I can get challenger back in solo and duel then see about aiming for blues in standard, think I'm at challenger div 4 right now on that. I think half of it is still being pissed that all of my ranks came out prospect after the 10 opening matches despite having pretty decent results from them and playing ex grand champs too.

This timer cockblocker is such bullshit. I've got a guy selling Pink Lightning for 24 keys tomorrow but I'm twelve short! I could easily make up the other 2 in crates by then but I can't just buy the other 10 due to that 7 day lockout. So dumb. I don't really have other stuff I'm willing to part with along the way that would make up that value either.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I hate how hoops has artificially boosted my mmr. I almost always win at hoops. It's my game mode, you know? It's what I'm best at for whatever reason. So all my playtime and constant winning in hoops has made the game think I'm overall better than I am in unranked. That's why everyone knows how to do air dribble and stuff. It just puts me a notch above who I should be getting matched with when I play the regular game mode unranked. It's not like a huge gap where I'm constany getting killed, but the skill gap is noticeable.

Yeah, I wish unranked had separate MMR's for each playlist. My MMR is really high and used to certain level of play but every now and then still get teammates that look lost and I think maybe its because they are really good at hoops or hockey or rumble or maybe even just 1's or 2's vs 3's (my baby). And on flip side if I went into 1's I would get crushed as I never play them. I don't think it would be a lot of resources wasted tracking separate MMR's so not sure why they lump it all together like they do.

Yeah, I wish unranked had separate MMR's for each playlist. My MMR is really high and used to certain level of play but every now and then still get teammates that look lost and I think maybe its because they are really good at hoops or hockey or rumble or maybe even just 1's or 2's vs 3's (my baby). And on flip side if I went into 1's I would get crushed as I never play them. I don't think it would be a lot of resources wasted tracking separate MMR's so not sure why they lump it all together like they do.

They really need to do this. I play Rumble a lot while half watching tv etc. It's my go to zone out mode where I don't care too much about performance. Only problem is it's screwing with my matchmaking for other playlists.

No Love

Banned

It's funny that you say that, I do notice that everyone has their niche. I can get beat 2 v 2 sometimes if my teammate isn't good/on it but it's by guys that I'd crush 1v1 all day. I'm garbage at 3 v 3 because I never play it. :/

Weird that the matchmaking is a big aggregate, seems a really lazy way to do it.

So there is Halloween items...

Remove candy corn from last years boost and the bones from this years and you have the two best boosts in the game.

I love and am presently rocking the candy corn boost :p

I stopped using toppers as they mess with my aim BUT I might have to make an exception for that ghost topper as it's fricking adorable.

BPK

If I don't intend to buy keys to open my crates what can I do with the crates? Do they just sit there or can I trade them away for something?

Top Bottom