• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Bollocks

Solo3, win first 2 games, go from challenger 2 to challenger elite, lost 3 in a row, still elite, should have stopped by then, lose the next game, challenger 3, keep playing to climb back up and it's all downhill from here, currently c3 div3, that was the highest before the patch, so seems like I'm stuck in challenger hell forever.

At least I'm elite in doubles and 3's which I was before the patch, should boost me to rising star.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Solo3, win first 2 games, go from challenger 2 to challenger elite, lost 3 in a row, still elite, should have stopped by then, lose the next game, challenger 3, keep playing to climb back up and it's all downhill from here, currently c3 div3, that was the highest before the patch, so seems like I'm stuck in challenger hell forever.

At least I'm elite in doubles and 3's which I was before the patch, should boost me to rising star.

That's the reason why it's stupid that they got rid of the losing-streak.

You can lose too many matches in a row and get frustrated as hell because of it.

shmoglish

Um....guys? Why did I just go from rising star div 1 in 1v1 to shooting star div 5 in ONE GAME?! I'm not joking. I must have been a single loss away from demotion to challenger elite, I won a game and now I'm shooting star div 5.

Yeah made it from Challenger 2 League... 3 (?) to Elite League 2 in 4-5 wins + 1 loss. Wont complain.

Still bumming from the rank changes.

Been trying for months to go from Challenger Elite to Rising Star. Really wanted to earn it the hard way.

Then they just...give it to me.

Oh well.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I hate how so few people play rocket labs now. Literally the only matches I get in Rocket Labs are semi pro or pro level. Takes ages to find a game so when it eventually does it's searching all skill levels and playing those people is just too easy so it isn't fun.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Back to Rising Star Div 1 after 3 wins; followed by 3 losses and getting even further down than before to Challenger Elite Div 4. Rocket League, seriously **** ***.

I hate how so few people play rocket labs now. Literally the only matches I get in Rocket Labs are semi pro or pro level. Takes ages to find a game so when it eventually does it's searching all skill levels and playing those people is just too easy so it isn't fun.

I'm still waiting for full cross-play to make these playlists more playable.

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
Why does everyone with a Master rank suck horribly? Did they all just AFK it in single player or something?

Your best bet is to just stop equating those titles with any kind of skill level. I used to start every match by looking at the scoreboard, and I'd think to myself things like, "Oh no, they have a Legend" or "Hehe, we're going to eat this Pro alive" but my instincts were only correct maybe half the time. I've dunked on Legends and been dunked on by Pros. (For reference, I'm an Expert right now, and I keep that title hidden for this exact reason.)

You gotta keep in mind that only a small percentage of total player base is actually good at the game. Maybe 10-20%? And with randomness of matchmaking you should only expect good teammates 1-2 times outta every 10 games. The higher your MMR these numbers will improve but still more often than not your teammates are gonna be worse than you if you are legitimately good.

So you either need to find a way to stay positive and have fun or only play with people you know. If you don't have people to play with I recommend sticking with casual playlists. In my experience people play better (less stress / pressure / don't get left shorthanded) and are nicer. Once your MMR gets high enough there are less quitters (if that bothers you) and you can have fun ruining Lachinio's freestyles =D

Why does everyone with a Master rank suck horribly? Did they all just AFK it in single player or something?

I'm legend and I got that by playing casual for nearly 800 hours and learning damn near nothing. It means nothing.

Finally got a solid internet connection and starting to play nothing but ranked now. When I'm focused and get my rotation down i do pretty good. My mechanical skills are improving but my confidence sucks. I hesitate to go for balls thinking I'll whiff and so I don't go for it or go for it too late and end up giving the opponents a good shot. I need to just say fuck it and go for it even if I whiff and needs to hear it from my toxic ass teammates .Having confidence in your shot is so damn important in this game and it's probably what I need the most work on.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm legend and I got that by playing casual for nearly 800 hours and learning damn near nothing. It means nothing.

Finally got a solid internet connection and starting to play nothing but ranked now. When I'm focused and get my rotation down i do pretty good. My mechanical skills are improving but my confidence sucks. I hesitate to go for balls thinking I'll whiff and so I don't go for it or go for it too late and end up giving the opponents a good shot. I need to just say fuck it and go for it even if I whiff and needs to hear it from my toxic ass teammates .Having confidence in your shot is so damn important in this game and it's probably what I need the most work on.
You'll only learn how to hit a shot by missing it 50 times.

Clydefrog

My gripe is that every shot I go for, my teammate also goes for. It leaves us exposed. Every shot I don't go for, my teammate also ignores it. Then we both end up going for the follow-up. It's a hard cycle, just like life.

You'll only learn how to hit a shot by missing it 50 times.

You butchered the Gretzky quote!

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

My gripe is that every shot I go for, my teammate also goes for. It leaves us exposed. Every shot I don't go for, my teammate also ignores it. Then we both end up going for the follow-up. It's a hard cycle, just like life.

eQGI1Cf.png

say that to my face and not online fuker

Unicorn

Octagon sucks and kicked out the best map of donutopia. I fully expect a blown out amazing rebuild of Donutopia a la Neo Tokyo.

Pretty pleased with the changes to ranked play, I think it's very well justified when you look at the numbers. I'm also thrilled to finally see a percentage breakdown of the ranks. Maybe now I'll actually reach Champ someday...

So has anyone had any luck with that crate trader site? I'm gonna give it a shot tonight, I am cheap and need a free way to get some keys.

Regginator

Just reached Rising Star for the first time, feels good man.... Except for the fact that apparently they made the jumps to higher divisions easier (?) since the last patch. It kinda devalues the experience to be honest.

Oh well. Super Star here I come!

Just reached Rising Star for the first time, feels good man.... Except for the fact that apparently they made the jumps to higher divisions easier (?) since the last patch. It kinda devalues the experience to be honest.

Oh well. Super Star here I come!
It won't be easier for long, just the first couple of wins to get you recalibrated to your new proper rank. The numbers behind the scenes didn't change as far as your MMR and who you play, just the tiers for the rank names and images. Here's a good summary:

obd6L09.png

They saw only 2.6% of the playerbase in the top six ranks and realized that's not a very good distribution so they shifted it. You should feel good about where you are, the problem was more with the old system and not your level of skill. It might take a little while to adjust to what a "new" Rising Star (for example) feels like compared to an old one but I think it's for the best.

Regginator

It won't be easier for long, just the first couple of wins to get you recalibrated to your new proper rank. The numbers behind the scenes didn't change as far as your MMR and who you play, just the tiers for the rank names and images. Here's a good summary:

obd6L09.png

They saw only 2.6% of the playerbase in the top six ranks and realized that's not a very good distribution so they shifted it. You should feel good about where you are, the problem was more with the old system and not your level of skill. It might take a little while to adjust to what a "new" Rising Star (for example) feels like compared to an old one but I think it's for the best.

Hmm, that sounds about right, thanks. I was mostly hovering between upper and lower Challenger 3 pre-patch, and I find myself now pretty stable at Rising Star. Shooting Star seems doable too, so I'll try aiming for All-Star now.

The way I understand it now is that if you were rising star s2 you should be rising star or thereabouts now instead of challenger 3.

I got bumped to Superstar in 3s which is where I was last season. I do play better this season so hopefully I can go up one more rank. I'm in Risig Star now, up from Challenger Elite. I was RS last season.

Your mileage may vary but it's put me where I feel I belong at the moment.

In other news, after getting Heatwave from my first CC3 and yellow chakrams right after, through trading I now have pink and green chakrams and Slipstream! I did oversell on the green chakrams (traded white tunicas and pink sunbursts) but I really love chakrams. They're like sexier Vortexes (tho I love those too gonna start collecting those soon)

TheKeyPit

Banned
If it's like last year they'll just drop after a bunch of games, POSSIBLY on a different cycle than normal items but the item drop system has changed so much, who knows.

You have the same dark power I have: projecting our wills onto our teammates as a form of mind control.

It's one of those bitch superpowers.

TheKeyPit

Banned
If it's like last year they'll just drop after a bunch of games, POSSIBLY on a different cycle than normal items but the item drop system has changed so much, who knows.

I hope so.

--------

I set myself a rule: If I win 2 or 3 games in Ranked and lose one afterwards I'll stop playing that playlist for the rest of the day.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
The new arena finally showed up - it's really gorgeous, and so distracting. Does anyone else see some weird effect on the ball when it's far off? Like a double ball/trail thing?

Unicorn

The new arena finally showed up - it's really gorgeous, and so distracting. Does anyone else see some weird effect on the ball when it's far off? Like a double ball/trail thing?
Yeah known issue. Wish it wasn't in ranked until that was fixed. Fucks up my shots.

Bollocks

You have the same dark power I have: projecting our wills onto our teammates as a form of mind control.

It's one of those bitch superpowers.

Or flying half way across the map for the aerial block in midfield only to have it redirect to the wall and slowly towards our goal where the goalie chokes because he didn't expect that block.

played 3h, ended with the same rank and div, gg

TheKeyPit

Banned
I got one, hence the wheels. But it's been pretty barren otherwise.

Strange how these crates drop. I'm pretty sure that I only got c3 crates since the update introduced them.

Edit:

I won three matches and got back to Rising Star Div 2 in Doubles. Lost one against a team that somehow always won or neutralized 50/50s; dropped to Div 1. Perfect time to stop playing that playlist for today.

Top Bottom