• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VC1XQjd1SXpIR0FzNFdDSjRyckU0dzNQOWVvY0x3

As you can see, I don't have much to share.

How are people getting items without buying keys? Are they simply saving up a boat load of crates and then trading them for the items they want?

Precisely. I have the benefit of having two friends that toss me all of their crates for free here and there, though, which is huge. One of them only uses Batmobile, so he has no use for items at all.

BPK

Precisely. I have the benefit of having two friends that toss me all of their crates for free here and there, though, which is huge. One of them only uses Batmobile, so he has no use for items at all.

But you still need keys to open crates, so are you simply accumulating crates and then trading them in bulk for the items you want?

Any idea how much the loopers from CC1 are worth?

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
carriage, pink chakras, looper, photon and troika

Hey man, I'm an Octane guy too and have a bunch of skins for it, including Distortion. I also have a certified goalkeeper Pixel Fire, but I'm attached to that one so I'd need the right deal for it. I'm definitely interested in those pink chakrams. Add me on PSN and we can see what makes sense. PSN ID is Ev_Rock.

angelic

Banned
Hey man, I'm an Octane guy too and have a bunch of skins for it, including Distortion. I also have a certified goalkeeper Pixel Fire, but I'm attached to that one so I'd need the right deal for it. I'm definitely interested in those pink chakrams. Add me on PSN and we can see what makes sense. PSN ID is Ev_Rock.

heya, I have distortion, got it last night as well as the swirly line one and dragon breath. Really need trinity but might be able to part with my chakrams (they are nice).

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
heya, I have distortion, got it last night as well as the swirly line one and dragon breath. Really need trinity but might be able to part with my chakrams (they are nice).

Ah, gotcha. You might have everything I have then (no trinity, unfortunately). I'll take a closer look at my inventory tonight when I'm on and get back to you. Anything besides Trinity and Pixel Fire you're really looking for?

angelic

Banned
Ah, gotcha. You might have everything I have then (no trinity, unfortunately). I'll take a closer look at my inventory tonight when I'm on and get back to you. Anything besides Trinity and Pixel Fire you're really looking for?

They are the mains if I'm honest, hypernova is my ultimate but obviously that's a rare. I really though pixel fire and trinity were quite common but i just cannot get them (already spent 20 quid on keys over the last month so i'm not doing that again).

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't been playing a lot, but since the Crate 3's dropped, I've only gotten one of them. I've gotten like 6 or 7 C2s in the meantime. At least myone C3 gave me the Breakout.

bjaelke

Lé Blade Runner;221666375 said:
Welp, broke the 1000 hours /played last night. It's my most-played title of this generation, by far. And I see no end in sight... Help me.

I'll help you get to 2000. No problem.

Lé Blade Runner;221666375 said:
Welp, broke the 1000 hours /played last night. It's my most-played title of this generation, by far. And I see no end in sight... Help me.

Rocket League
66.8 hrs last two weeks / 998 hrs on record

On my way. Also no end in sight. It went from game of generation to possibly my favorite game of all time.

Crazy. You must be playing all the time since the crates drop rate is so low. Is there a reliable place to find out what an item (the loopers, for example) are worth? People seem to talk in terms of keys on http://rltracker.pro/prices.
This is not mine, and as with anything with key values, please take this with a healthy grain of salt: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...04hjAymFDF2CVueCub9ywPm624/htmlview?sle=true#

Keep in mind it's based on PC trades (some items on PS4 are much lower like the Beta Nugget and Heatwave). It's at least good for checking relative value (wheels compared to other wheels, colors to one another, etc.). And it's much more accurate compared to that old google sheet that was floating around a month ago.

This is not mine, and as with anything with key values, please take this with a healthy grain of salt: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...04hjAymFDF2CVueCub9ywPm624/htmlview?sle=true#

Keep in mind it's based on PC trades (some items on PS4 are much lower like the Beta Nugget and Heatwave). It's at least good for checking relative value (wheels compared to other wheels, colors to one another, etc.). And it's much more accurate compared to that old google sheet that was floating around a month ago.

I'd say most PS4 stuff on average is lower than PC for whatever reason and with any price list like the spreadsheet or http://rltracker.pro/prices I've found that after they get posted prices always go down as everyone has a point of reference + value drops over time anyways due to less demand.

Well, the one good thing about that sheet is that it's actually being updated pretty regularly, as far as I know. But yeah, some of the prices are off, especially for PS4 (and I would imagine for Xbox after converting key values to crates).

---

On a more celebratory note, I finally reached Rising Star a few nights ago. Wooooo! After 600+ hours in the game, I finally feel like a decent player. Still have a long ways to go. Especially in my consistency and ball control. I'm actually practicing now, especially my shots since I hardly saw the ball on offense in 3s with all of the ball chasers I've played with. It's made a big difference. If I was to help a newbie get better, I'd advise them to play 1s and 2s and practice a lot (and watch the helpful videos out there) before jumping straight to 3s and wasting their development like I did.

For rising star, I made the jump in Doubles. What really helped was waiting until the ranks settled before grinding my way up. I did my placement matches early in the season and then played almost exclusively 3s after that--which made it much harder to move up and down on those playlists. When I went back to Doubles about a month ago, I was able to fly through much of Challenger on my own. Made it to Challenger 3 Div 4 but hit a wall. Got ranked up to Challenger Elite Div 4 after the rank recalibration, but still had difficulty. Paired up with someone better than me, and we played well enough together to finally get me over the hump. Now I'm learning from him how to play the game better (he's got good ball control and uses it well).

Solo Standard is a $@#%show, so I only use it for practice. In Standard, I'm knocking on the door of Challenger Elite playing mostly by myself. My goal is to get to Rising Star on Standard as well. But now I need to practice some 1s. I've played I think like 12 matches this season and am Challenger 1. Even though I really don't like 1s, I need to play more to work on my ground game.

panty

Game is going down the shitter.

More and more problems with player disconnects during match search and random server prroblems while playing with all 4 (2v2) players.

But sure bring on more useless dlc cars, crates and shit. Hopefully another dev releases a similar game like this.

Game is going down the shitter.

More and more problems with player disconnects during match search and random server prroblems while playing with all 4 (2v2) players.

But sure bring on more useless dlc cars, crates and shit. Hopefully another dev releases a similar game like this.

I have played this game about 40 hours these last two weeks and have had no issues. It's far from going down the shitter. Perhaps it's your connection?

panty

I have played this game about 40 hours these last two weeks and have had no issues. It's far from going down the shitter. Perhaps it's your connection?
I've talked with others during game and they've been from all around Europe and the same thing, lagging and server problems. So it's not my connection.

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
On a more celebratory note, I finally reached Rising Star a few nights ago. Wooooo! After 600+ hours in the game, I finally feel like a decent player. Still have a long ways to go. Especially in my consistency and ball control. I'm actually practicing now, especially my shots since I hardly saw the ball on offense in 3s with all of the ball chasers I've played with. It's made a big difference. If I was to help a newbie get better, I'd advise them to play 1s and 2s and practice a lot (and watch the helpful videos out there) before jumping straight to 3s and wasting their development like I did.

Congrats on moving up! As someone who has been wallowing in the low to mid Challenger scene for a while, I'd like to hear more about your specific practice techniques. I feel like I always just default to the trainers in the game, but I'd be curious to hear about any freeplay stuff you've worked on or if there were any videos that really stood out in helping you level up (there's so many out there anymore).

Unicorn

Had a handful of great matches last night in unranked. Both sides giving props, everyone playing their part and some stellar set ups and passes. Felt like a whole different game.

Had a handful of great matches last night in unranked. Both sides giving props, everyone playing their part and some stellar set ups and passes. Felt like a whole different game.

Now that I reached rising star and secured whatever season rewards we'll get I have been playing mostly casual again. It's fun and challenging with much less salt.

Bread

Banned
What's up with the crashing on XB1? It's one thing to crash and get kicked back to the dashboard make it back to the menu and not be given the option to rejoin, but god damn if the 15 minute matchmaking suspension doesn't piss me off every time. There's no reason for this to happen Psyonix.

TheKeyPit

Banned
What's up with the crashing on XB1? It's one thing to crash and get kicked back to the dashboard make it back to the menu and not be given the option to rejoin, but god damn if the 15 minute matchmaking suspension doesn't piss me off every time. There's no reason for this to happen Psyonix.

No crashing on my Xbox One.

Now that I reached rising star and secured whatever season rewards we'll get I have been playing mostly casual again. It's fun and challenging with much less salt.

I think people play better / looser in casual as well, not worrying about ranking down / screwing up + bots for short time beats being permanently shorthanded after quitters. When you get a good group re-upping that are all actually around the same skill level the games are amazing, with great plays deciding wins instead of poor positioning, going for the same ball, and whiffs.

TheKeyPit

Banned
All-Star Division 2. It was nice being there for 3 matches and then losing my way back down to Shooting Star Division 4. It's all about the teammates. Now I'm Div 5 and it's time for sleep. I wish I could play Standard with a decent team. Those Champion ranks aren't that far from achievable.

Edit: It would be funny to play together with two clones of yourself. Haha.

Congrats on moving up! As someone who has been wallowing in the low to mid Challenger scene for a while, I'd like to hear more about your specific practice techniques. I feel like I always just default to the trainers in the game, but I'd be curious to hear about any freeplay stuff you've worked on or if there were any videos that really stood out in helping you level up (there's so many out there anymore).

Hey, man! We need to play more some time. Could play doubles as well. Lately, I've just been practicing in free play. Practicing my dribbling--which is still terrible. Mostly, I've been hitting the ball from the kickoff at different angles off the back and side walls. Then I practice different shots, including going underneath them when they're off the side wall. It's helped a lot with my scoring, though I'm still way away from consistently hitting powerful, accurate shots.

You can also use some of the setups in the Pro Striker training for working on which corner of the goal you're shooting for. I also sometimes use All-Star Aerial training to practice hard clears off the bounce, catching the ball, or going up to redirect it back to my own goal to simulate a pass. Wish we had the trainer mod on PS4. Man, so much stuff we could do without wasting time!

As for videos, I've watched different ones for different techniques. Working on the backwards half-flip one. Probably the single most important video I've seen is johnnyboi's one on kickoffs using scrubkilla as an example. I didn't realize how important it was to try and square up on the ball. Always thought if I got my corner on it, that would be enough. Has especially helped with my basic kickoffs. I always knew kickoffs weren't luck, but that video really cemented it.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yeah, I'll stick to EU servers. I searched for a match in Ranked Standard and the game couldn't find anything for me, so I included USE in the search. Good match, but the winning goal for the opponents was bs, because I clearly hit the ball. The replay didn't show anything of that sort. "Local" servers only for competitive play... How could I forget that.

Nice.

Nice shot but horrible D. The last man back *kind* of held up only then for some reason to charge out of net while ball is up in air on his side of field with opposing car clearly flying for it. If he just waited it's a relatively easy save.

So many people have no clue how to position / play D. You need to cover your net while the ball is on your side of the pitch and have your eyes on opposing team (not just the ball) looking out for any shot opportunities. Too many people just mindlessly leave the net open on any clear attempt.

On the bright side shitty D does lend itself to highlight shots :D

Nice shot but horrible D. The last man back *kind* of held up only then for some reason to charge out of net while ball is up in air on his side of field with opposing car clearly flying for it. If he just waited it's a relatively easy save.

So many people have no clue how to position / play D. You need to cover your net while the ball is on your side of the pitch and have your eyes on opposing team (not just the ball) looking out for any shot opportunities. Too many people just mindlessly leave the net open on any clear attempt.

On the bright side shitty D does lend itself to highlight shots :D

They also put the ball up there for me in the first place. Two of them tried to clear it and both ran into the ball setting it up for me.

^^^ turning off all chat is probably your best bet. You lose a little fun that way and also some communication advantages (take the shot! i got it!) but you will eliminate all negative comments from opposing team / dickhead teammates.

Top Bottom