• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
hng
3 days till tests are over and i can solo rush to champ in 2s for ruruja (got up to all star 5 when i played an hour the other day)

soooooon

^^^ same. It's an easy trap to fall into as your mechanical skill rises but the key to winning consistently is making smart decisions, which usually means playing more passive.

Someone in here recently mentioned Loomin and that guy has very little mechanical skill but is GC in all 4 playlists. He plays extremely passive, tries to maintain ball control, and if he can't, makes smart touches: hard clears, deke / chip ball past closest defender, pass it, etc. Watching him you will note 2 things: 1) you won't believe he is GC and 2) you won't believe how often high level players will eventually hit the the ball right to you if you play passive. Then it's your job to simply not make the same mistake. Maintain possession. Make smart touches. If you lose possession play it safe and cycle back. All the way back. Stay put in goal until the ball is cleared. Never give them an open net.

Every time I go on a losing streak it's from being too aggressive, which happens pretty much always after a lucky streak of getting good teammates that allowed me to play that way :) But luck runs out and refusal to change playstyle -- unless you get lucky with teammates again -- leads to losing streaks and blaming others when the problem is you.

RL is all about smart decisions. Honestly, I consider the between section as footsies in a fighting game. Mechanical skill comes in handy when you get it slightly past them, and suddenly your punish game becomes so much more brutal- their minor mistake is a guaranteed goal if you can do something crazy to shoot it in without letting them get into blocking position. However, if you never lose the 'footsies', they can't really score anyways!

Unicorn

Installing SARPBC..

Damn this is way jankier than I remember. Fucking laughs though when a ball shot through the wall and respawned

TheKeyPit

Banned
^^^ same. It's an easy trap to fall into as your mechanical skill rises but the key to winning consistently is making smart decisions, which usually means playing more passive.

Someone in here recently mentioned Loomin and that guy has very little mechanical skill but is GC in all 4 playlists. He plays extremely passive, tries to maintain ball control, and if he can't, makes smart touches: hard clears, deke / chip ball past closest defender, pass it, etc. Watching him you will note 2 things: 1) you won't believe he is GC and 2) you won't believe how often high level players will eventually hit the the ball right to you if you play passive. Then it's your job to simply not make the same mistake. Maintain possession. Make smart touches. If you lose possession play it safe and cycle back. All the way back. Stay put in goal until the ball is cleared. Never give them an open net.

Every time I go on a losing streak it's from being too aggressive, which happens pretty much always after a lucky streak of getting good teammates that allowed me to play that way :) But luck runs out and refusal to change playstyle -- unless you get lucky with teammates again -- leads to losing streaks and blaming others when the problem is you.

+1

------------------------

Every opponent had a ping of 300+. I know that the game becomes unplayable with such a ping and I thought that this would've been an easy win. Hello teammates who interrupt my pass/play and can't do shit. ARGH!!!

Unicorn

Car gibs need to return. Made me miss donutopia even more.

That said. That fucking camera. Yeesh. Also online was a mess of lag.

panty

I'm tired of playing alone. Anyone want to team up 2v2, EU on PS4?

My rank fluctuates between rising star - all star.

PATCH NOTES V1.26

CASUAL PLAYLISTS AND ROCKET LAB ARENAS
We have removed Rocket Lab Arenas from the Casual Arena rotation (for now). Rocket Labs Arenas were appearing too frequently and the current 'Arena Preferences' system does not give players who dislike Rocket Labs maps enough sway to avoid them.

* NOTE: New Rocket Labs Arena designs may appear next year in Casual playlists in a way that they can be more effectively influenced by Arena Preferences

We are also discussing alternative ways to get your feedback on new Arenas in shorter doses.

STATS, SETTINGS, AND PRESET DATA
Fixed an issue with the game client picking the wrong local profile from your save data. For some accounts that played splitscreen, this caused a “loss” of recorded stats, in-game settings, and car presets when the patch was released.

PC players should see their stats, settings, and presets restored with this hotfix. Unfortunately this was not possible for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

We are investigating solutions for next year that would prevent this from happening again by storing more of your information in our database so it cannot be lost due to this kind of bug, save-data corruption, or hardware malfunction of your PC/ Console.

MAP SELECTION
Fixed an issue that allowed Wasteland and Neo Tokyo to appear more frequently than they did before the Starbase ARC Patch.

MISC
[Hotfixed] Fixed collision issue that caused vehicles to sometimes bounce when
landing / caused the Batmobile to sometimes land “inside” the field.

The previous fix for the Batmobile "wobble-on-landing" had to be removed so that we can
better address it in a future update.

[Hotfixed] (PC) Fixed rendering issue that created a flickering problem for some Arenas.

Fixed VSync for Mac.

Fixed the Vulcan DLC Showroom thumbnail so that it would no longer shows an image of Triton.

The “Current Tier” text shown after Competitive matches will no longer be colored Green or Red when changing Divisions if the “Hide Competitive Divisions” option is enabled.

Soulflarz

Banned
+1

------------------------

Every opponent had a ping of 300+. I know that the game becomes unplayable with such a ping and I thought that this would've been an easy win. Hello teammates who interrupt my pass/play and can't do shit. ARGH!!!

FWIW 300+ is "playable", it's just a very frustrating experience.

bleh
playing an hour fuck finals :^)

I really enjoy how transparent they are with the patch notes. I'm are a fair few devs wouldn't talk about removed features or indeed, even acknowledge an issue existed at all re: labs + nonstandard maps

PATCH NOTES V1.26

STATS, SETTINGS, AND PRESET DATA
Fixed an issue with the game client picking the wrong local profile from your save data. For some accounts that played splitscreen, this caused a “loss” of recorded stats, in-game settings, and car presets when the patch was released.

PC players should see their stats, settings, and presets restored with this hotfix. Unfortunately this was not possible for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

We are investigating solutions for next year that would prevent this from happening again by storing more of your information in our database so it cannot be lost due to this kind of bug, save-data corruption, or hardware malfunction of your PC/ Console.

Well that's disappointing. I'm on PS4 and wasn't planning on playing splitscreen when I first heard about this. I accidentally hit the trigger which prompted to start a party, then went to my stats and they were erased. So I decided to just play with my daughter and thought that I'd have my stats restored eventually. (At least I'm pretty sure it happened before my daughter joined my game.)

Kind of reminds me when Helldivers had a save-erasing bug that wiped out my son's local save (he couldn't play online at the time, so no online backup). He cried that day, but eventually went back to the game months later and got back to his previous level. He still hasn't unlocked all the stuff he did before though.

I guess it's not that big of a deal since they've reset stats before--I think last year before season 1. Interesting that some of my stats are still on the stat-tracking websites. Are they just pulling online stats that are still there? Or are those sites aggregating them locally as they pull them?

Soulflarz

Banned
In my inability to study for finals any more for an hour or two:

tl;dr of ranks from what I've played up the ladder from playing solo teams so far- and this should help anyone stuck at point X to learn how to get better. And yes, I want everyone to get better ^_^

prospect- lolwhat just aerial and they're done. If you're stuck here, just play more, you'll get out naturally.

challenger- everyones understanding stuff better, they just do it a bit slow and aren't sure how to react to stuff. Wallshots or breaking their rotation destroys them. You can largely just improve techskill and consistency with rotation to bypass this phase eventually. Most give up here or low blues because people aren't quite too sure why they're losing via arguing over x or y instead of just playing better. Ask friends for help on whatever you need, it can largely work!

blues- learn to challenge everything faster. You will lose a lot while you learn this, but after a day or two, you can effectively break your "im pre purple" block mentally without finding a good teammate. Challenge the ball and go up faster to break their rotation or to just score before they even are ready to block. Alternatively, hardpunish unsafe options by your opponents. If you can do these, you won't get stuck here long. Wallshots are probably your hardest thing to learn besides that. Again, faster challenging is everything. Most people don't understand this and it's why we have a whole 20% of the population stuck in blues even if they're arguably the same amount of technical skill as challenger elite. Rush that shot. A shot on goal faster isn't going to get saved as easily- they'll probably not even make it up in time, and if they do, they're going to get a slight block that drops it dead in front of their goal so your teammate trailing can hit it in lazily. People still aren't sure at this rank, just mute teamchat so you don't need to deal with people going "wow nice ____" when it was the correct decision.

purples- learn to play optimally. We can assume everyone can 50-50 fast, but at this point, it's "who can consistently get that ridiculously high up aerial or double wallbounce shot" to get up in ranks. Consistently doing hard things will make your punishes viable. This is probably where the largest timesink is at, as you need to learn the game at a much higher level that simply isn't required before this. At this point, most people probably have a great idea where they messed up to get scored on and there's very little explanation needed player to player.

That seems about right, no?

Grinchy

Banned
Well at least I finally got to play a few decent matches of Cosmic again before they caved :(

They might as well just completely give up on nonstandard maps from here on.

So this was one of the few times I was glad to not have automatic cloud saves on my second PS4. I was able to download a cloud save from a couple of weeks ago, and voila, stats restored. Now I can peacefully and perhaps regretfully return to my near impossible to change (or unfortunately, improve) game averages.

Soulflarz

Banned
superstar 2
have yet to find a teammate whos actually half decent more than a game because no one understands purples rotation
you find someone and you're like "team?" and then you find some fundamental flaw that has had them at said rank and they aren't underrated :<

Even at the highest level people charge too slow :p

ending my night on the high end of ss 3

ill purple after my finals zz
bravos good- a lot better than I remember, but I'm assuming it's because challenging higher up stuff finally clicked for both of us the other day.
favorite shot of the night is to remind people they're bad :3
https://gfycat.com/FlimsyDecimalApe

TheKeyPit

Banned
:)

rlcarsasxy2.png

-----------

http://imgur.com/F3BWHP8

TheKeyPit

Banned
Lé Blade Runner;226505381 said:
Uuh, beautiful!

Thank you. I tried using green for blue team, but it didn't work out. Sky Blue is much better :)

-------------------

I'M IN A RAGE RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!! I JUST WANTED TO PLAY ONE SINGLE 2v2 MATCH. ONE SINGLE MATCH! BEFORE I HIT MY DAILY FITNESS TRAINING! TEAMMATE IS A GOD DAMN CRATE FARMER!!! WHY THE HELL DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS SHIT IN RANKED! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THEIR ENTIRE LIFETIME! I HAD TO ABANDON THAT MATCH AND NOW I HAVE A 15 MINUTE BAN! THANKS FOR PUNISHING ME PSYONIX!

VLiberty

it's great that now you can "dislike" certain maps, except now the rocket labs maps are not separated anymore and you don't have enough dislikes for all the 3 RL maps + Neo Tokyo.
And now I'm getting rocket lab maps all the time in casual. Plus, where the heck is Utopia retro? The only one I like has been cut lol

it's like they fix one thing while breaking 3 more

it's great that now you can "dislike" certain maps, except now the rocket labs maps are not separated anymore and you don't have enough dislikes for all the 3 RL maps + Neo Tokyo.
And now I'm getting rocket lab maps all the time in casual. Plus, where the heck is Utopia retro? The only one I like has been cut lol

it's like they fix one thing while breaking 3 more

theyve been removed from normal unranked.

theyve been removed from normal unranked.

About damn time too. They say next year that they're bringing them back too. I personally beg to differ. Going by the Reddit the community do NOT want it so I don't get why they keep trying to force it on us. They just need to accept that people don't want to play them and make more content they DO want to play instead of wasting resources on maps that will be filtered out the second they're complete like Double Goal and Cosmic.

Thank you. I tried using green for blue team, but it didn't work out. Sky Blue is much better :)

-------------------

I'M IN A RAGE RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!! I JUST WANTED TO PLAY ONE SINGLE 2v2 MATCH. ONE SINGLE MATCH! BEFORE I HIT MY DAILY FITNESS TRAINING! TEAMMATE IS A GOD DAMN CRATE FARMER!!! WHY THE HELL DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS SHIT IN RANKED! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THEIR ENTIRE LIFETIME! I HAD TO ABANDON THAT MATCH AND NOW I HAVE A 15 MINUTE BAN! THANKS FOR PUNISHING ME PSYONIX!

Nice Octane setups! I was using chaks for a while (have a complete set now), but now I'm using photons more.

Surprised to see a crate farmer in ranked. Seems rather unusual. They usually do casual since they can just potentially let it go for hours since people aren't required to hit the ready button. Hope you reported that guy. Unfortunately, you can't count on the other team reporting him, too. Some people don't care unless they lose because of it. :-(

Soulflarz

Banned
yep people keytrade in ranked, it's nonsense
then again, people like to not go up for stuff in purples and then say challenging is pointless cause their opponents will probably miss (only to get scored on)

why would anyone intentionally build bad habits X_X

About damn time too. They say next year that they're bringing them back too. I personally beg to differ. Going by the Reddit the community do NOT want it so I don't get why they keep trying to force it on us. They just need to accept that people don't want to play them and make more content they DO want to play instead of wasting resources on maps that will be filtered out the second they're complete like Double Goal and Cosmic.

There have been a lot of polls done and usually end up 50/50 or slightly in favor of standard maps. Whatever actual numbers are there is clearly a divide. A lot of people hate non-standard maps. And a lot of people love them. And then of course there are people in the middle that don't feel strongly either way.

I am standard only fan. I treat Rocket League like an actual sport of which this is the video game version. No different than playing Madden or NHL or The Show. And in real sports the playing surface / dimensions does not significantly change. Changing the field make the game less enjoyable to play to me because it feels like a different sport.

That being said I get the non-standard side of things. A lot of people view Rocket League as simply a video game, and like different maps for variety and new challenges. I myself enjoy some of the non-standard maps but they feel like alternative game modes like hoops or snow day and I want to play them when I'm in the mood instead of randomly, especially not during ranked play.

Psyonix obviously feels that map variety is important to the lasting appeal of the game. They are worried things will become stale. And maybe they are right. But I haven't gotten sick of the pro sports I love or their video game counterparts. TV ratings and sales of sports video games keep chugging along. But again this is from a sport view. People that see Rocket League as just another video game might get bored and move on. I guess time will tell.

I think they are heading in the right direction with map voting / filtering system and it simply just needs to be refined so that people play on the maps they prefer (standard or non-standard or a mix of the two) 90% of the time so they can enjoy the game but still be occasionally exposed to other maps. Psyonix has been amazing with listening to its player base so I'm confident whatever divide there is in terms of maps will ultimately be addressed.

There have been a lot of polls done and usually end up 50/50 or slightly in favor of standard maps. Whatever actual numbers are there is clearly a divide. A lot of people hate non-standard maps. And a lot of people love them. And then of course there are people in the middle that don't feel strongly either way.

I am standard only fan. I treat Rocket League like an actual sport of which this is the video game version. No different than playing Madden or NHL or The Show. And in real sports the playing surface / dimensions does not significantly change. Changing the field make the game less enjoyable to play to me because it feels like a different sport.

That being said I get the non-standard side of things. A lot of people view Rocket League as simply a video game, and like different maps for variety and new challenges. I myself enjoy some of the non-standard maps but they feel like alternative game modes like hoops or snow day and I want to play them when I'm in the mood instead of randomly, especially not during ranked play.

Psyonix obviously feels that map variety is important to the lasting appeal of the game. They are worried things will become stale. And maybe they are right. But I haven't gotten sick of the pro sports I love or their video game counterparts. TV ratings and sales of sports video games keep chugging along. But again this is from a sport view. People that see Rocket League as just another video game might get bored and move on. I guess time will tell.

I think they are heading in the right direction with map voting / filtering system and it simply just needs to be refined so that people play on the maps they prefer (standard or non-standard or a mix of the two) 90% of the time so they can enjoy the game but still be occasionally exposed to other maps. Psyonix has been amazing with listening to its player base so I'm confident whatever divide there is in terms of maps will ultimately be addressed.

To be honest I probably worded that a bit strongly. I think the non standard maps have a place but I think that place is outside of standard unranked. I can understand why the devs feel a need for it and I can even enjoy them since it's a good place to work on mechanical skill, but I'd much rather it be something I opt into say when it was just under Rocket Labs.

I can also understand why that's a pain for Psyonix since the player numbers for that playlist are bad. But so are Snow Day and Hoops, which still have a dedicated playerbase enjoying them and these are getting by with very similar numbers. I think the place where they fit best was Rumble.

That said, It took way too long to get another standard map added to the game and what variants were added usually wore thin for me fast so I do wish they'd at least alternate a bit and release more standard maps.

I haven't played for a while. So, what can I do with crates? I don't want to pay for keys, can I at least give them to someone?
You can trade crates for items, including keys. It depends what platform you're on, but the general value of CC4 crates is 1 CC4 = 1 key.

For CC1/2/3, their value has decreased, and it's hard to figure out how much they're worth. It used to be 0.2 / 0.1 / 0.25 respectively, but you rarely see them traded straight for keys these days.

Soulflarz

Banned
I haven't played for a while. So, what can I do with crates? I don't want to pay for keys, can I at least give them to someone?

Oh, and the new custom training mode is godsent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LexiGjQqbk

Any advice how to do this of the wall air drag thing properly?

keep with it, you have to kind of lift it up from under and travel with it. Honestly, a good old powershot from air or off the backboard from a second touch is just as effective- most montage air drags are slow and can be blocked by just jumping into it lazily.

Croyles

First time I've been in this thread. Man, I got so rusty at the game. Been messing up in some really embarassing ways. I used to hover between rising star and all star and am now in challenger 2 after re-ranking (and am not really winning games)...

Oh, and the new custom training mode is godsent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LexiGjQqbk

Any advice how to do this of the wall air drag thing properly?

I can only do that sort of stuff in practice and not in game but, you want to get almost the same speed as the ball before you hit it. Jump straight after you touch the ball (not before), then turn to orientate. If you want multiple hits on the ball you gotta feather your boost so you are travelling at the same speed. I managed to semi-learn it after about 30 minutes of practice, but no way am I good enough to pull that off in a real match.

Here's a really good youtube tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFc6k-HX0y4

A good thing to do is make a custom training map where your cars starting postion is exactly right (accounting for using the same amount boost/speed each time) so you dont have to learn the angles at the same time. Once you're comfortable make it more difficult on yourself.

88random

And here I am, celebrating that I got into challenger elite. I think I can get to blue ranks though, I just have to stop being overly aggressive, doing those risky plays, chasing unnecessary aerials, etc... No shame in winning ugly :)

Croyles

And here I am, celebrating that I got into challenger elite. I think I can get to blue ranks though, I just have to stop being overly aggressive, doing those risky plays, chasing unnecessary aerials, etc... No shame in winning ugly :)

There are still peeps below you, dont worry!

Why are you a Superstar? Looking at that video, you could easily be a Grand Champion.

Definitely need to work on consistency but in reality I don't think I play enough to get grand champion. Always end up having a hiatus from the game when new games come out. Rocket League always draws me back afterwards though. My doubles mate only comes on a few times a week for an hour or two so I get a chance to have some really fun games but even then it takes some play time to get your eye back in if you know what I mean.

Probably because it's best of. Still very impressive though! And yeah, you should prob be higher with that skill :)

Thanks mate! In my defence when I was playing a lot at the start of the season as everyone was ranking up I played quite a few season 2 grand champs and managed to win a decent number of games against them in 1v1 and 2v2's. Fond memories :D

I'm done with this. 10 games of ranked today and constant verbal abuse in every single one, usually before the match has even started. Deleting the game for the first time ever and honestly after today I'm not even sure I'll ever bother to reinstall it. It's insane how awful the community is. Call of Duty has a more mature playerbase by a significant margin at this point.

ErichWK

I'm done with this. 10 games of ranked today and constant verbal abuse in every single one, usually before the match has even started. Deleting the game for the first time ever and honestly after today I'm not even sure I'll ever bother to reinstall it. It's insane how awful the community is. Call of Duty has a more mature playerbase by a significant margin at this point.

It might help to just block all text so you don't have to read it. I rarely see shit talking, but i am also Blue Star..

Soulflarz

Banned
Why are you a Superstar? Looking at that video, you could easily be a Grand Champion.

Punish game isn't everything, nor is consistency.

That is to say, you can get to GC solely off being really damn good at 50-50s- that's basically all I have left.

On that note prawn, we're getting to gcs when I'm done with finals, if bravo doesn't wanna go up with me. Okay? Okay. We got this :3

However, I will say- blues and low purples do not challenge that stuff- the correct answer is just fly into the ball and he suddenly can't score. Regardless, I'm stupidly jealous he can actually do that stuff, I never spent the time to learn it beyond the basics.

Top Bottom