• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
Been over this in the past when I tried organizing one last winter-- if you do a 2v2 tournament, you basically have to Ban Pep+Laz on the same team, or else I can seed this without any real effort. It'd just be top seed and top win, there'd be no competition. Like, then you'd just have a fight between ruruja/bravo/self/flunkie for second, depending on seeding.

Or rather, that wouldn't be fun.

(Actually I have no idea how good TheKeyPit is and he could very easily be the best of our 'mid-high level' group)

I think you run into the issue that preblue, you're missing actual essential tech, and pre mid champ, you're missing essential challenge and/or rotation knowledge (ie- go up to shoot something slower) and it's going to be a slaughterhouse in that case if you keep even people across the board.

TL;DR skill gaps in RL are so heavily punishable by top level players that they'll run us all in to the ground for not being able to do the same things as them.

Maybe variance between a team of 2 and a team of 1, depending on skill? Cause a 2v1 of challengers and high blues/purples isn't going to be that silly- the blue/purple has some punishes the lower ranks will have no idea how to block, and it's borderline impossible to divide this group up w/ two top level players in a way that won't be automatic wins until the end.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I got to vent a bit. But my recent string of games as been beyond frustrating. I don't think I have a high requirement.

1. Shoot in the direction of their goal
2. Don't fucking block our own shots on their goal

As a goalie, there is nothing more frustrating than a dumbass who can not hit the ball straight. The ball is coming at you on the left side, after you touch it... it is now coming from the right towards me at a higher speed, right in front of the other team.

Nete

I was curious how long I would last with the chat ON now that we can turn it off while keeping the quick chat.

Seems it's two days. I was expecting at least a week :(

Stop worrying about seeding so much. Just let whoever wants to enter a two man team enter. Do matchups completely randomly in a knockout system. Whichever team loses in the knockout stage goes into a losing pool. Eventually winner of main pool will play winner of losing pool in the grand finals.

System should work so if you lose in the main pool semi final you will only have to play 1 match against someone in the losing pool to get your place in the final. It also means that you could lose your first game and win the entire tournament.

Do the games all in one or two time slots and have someone stream the games.

I'll happily face teams of any level.

Don't know if anyone noticed but they seem to have added colored variants for some of the Very Rare boosts, or at least one. I just got Lightning Yellow! Now I need Pink, Sky Blue and Lime and I'll be all set with my dream loadout.

Damn. Guess I'll be hopeful they add more in time! It would be nice to see more variants of some of the Very Rare's to encourage melting items for people who already have the whole set many times over.

Yep. I'm guessing eventually painted boosts will become a thing. Boost tend to lose value very quickly.

mr.beers

I have so many damn crates, I had them hidden for a while then decided to check to see how many I have and there are probably 40-50 of em. Open 15 and only got decals and not the good ones then the last 5 I get three animated decals and two cars.

I... hate... Snakeskin decals.
I've got so much of this shit.

Need some crates?

TheKeyPit

Banned
average of mid-high level ye
ez to improve tho, cmon with me soon :3

We could try playing together for a bit :D

Stop worrying about seeding so much. Just let whoever wants to enter a two man team enter. Do matchups completely randomly in a knockout system. Whichever team loses in the knockout stage goes into a losing pool. Eventually winner of main pool will play winner of losing pool in the grand finals.

System should work so if you lose in the main pool semi final you will only have to play 1 match against someone in the losing pool to get your place in the final. It also means that you could lose your first game and win the entire tournament.

Do the games all in one or two time slots and have someone stream the games.

I'll happily face teams of any level.

I'm ready for a tournament like this.

----------------

Edit: I never wanted to use the "get-up-high-fast-double-jump", because I was stupid. It's needed for high-level-play, so I decided to use it from now on.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I could've traded the c4 crate I just got, but then I'd had to put up again with reddit bullshit trading. I opened it. Crap. Who cares? The best thing that I got out of a crate so far was the Takumi RXT.

I'm slowly starting to believe the story that a friend told me:
The algorithm for crate drops involves the playtime of the player.
Players who play less get better items, because this will lead them to invest more time into the game.
Players who play more get worse items, because they already invest more time than others. They don't need encouragement for more playtime.

J. Bravo

I could've traded the c4 crate I just got, but then I'd had to put up again with reddit bullshit trading. I opened it. Crap. Who cares? The best thing that I got out of a crate so far was the Takumi RXT.

Players who play less get better items, because this will lead them to invest more time into the game.
Players who play more get worse items, because they already invest more time than others. They don't need encouragement for more playtime.

added u btw. L$D.
also, i got photon boost from my 1st cc4.

I do !
Last time I played I traded some of my decals to get a rarer items (I got a Drink Helmet...), but I've still got two Snakeskin, and two Distortion decals that I want to get rid off..
I'm collecting decals from crates that no one wants, so when you're done trading with the other dude let me know and I'll offer some crates or something for them.

Zanosuke

I don't know.. I got a cobalt cert. fsl from my first cc4, heatwave from my first cc1 plus all other stuff and I play a lot. But maybe i'm the exception for the rule :p

TheKeyPit

Banned
Hello Rising Star in 3v3. I'm playing like a god damn amateur right now. My stress ball is getting thrown across my whole room multiple times.

Edit: I feel physically weak. I feel drained. Something's not right today.

Hello Rising Star in 3v3. I'm playing like a god damn amateur right now. My stress ball is getting thrown across my whole room multiple times.

Edit: I feel physically weak. I feel drained. Something's not right today.

I don't know what the hell happened to me but I've lost all ability the last two days. I'm whiffing everything, late to every ball. Just nothing is going right and when I decide to focus, I get even worse! I'm actually thinking of deleting the game for a week or two since I'm getting REAL angry with myself right now. I last about a game before I QTD for a break. On the night they released the update I was doing the best I've ever done but now I can't do anything. It's making me completely second guess If I've made any progress since I started playing :/

BPK

Does anybody have a regular (non-colored) pair of discotheques? I can trade 1CC1, 4CC2, and 1CC3 for them. PSN ID is BPK.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I don't know what the hell happened to me but I've lost all ability the last two days. I'm whiffing everything, late to every ball. Just nothing is going right and when I decide to focus, I get even worse! I'm actually thinking of deleting the game for a week or two since I'm getting REAL angry with myself right now. I last about a game before I QTD for a break. On the night they released the update I was doing the best I've ever done but now I can't do anything. It's making me completely second guess If I've made any progress since I started playing :/

I wanted to do a save, but I jumped right into the ball instead = own goal
lol

Unicorn

Same. I do best after a few days off. I get maybe 3 good games then regress to launch day trash.

I do !
Last time I played I traded some of my decals to get a rarer items (I got a Drink Helmet...), but I've still got two Snakeskin, and two Distortion decals that I want to get rid off..

How many crates u want for distortion? I only got one of each right now, except cc4

TheKeyPit

Banned
My plan for today(December 11th): To play the PC version for a little bit; to gather a good 3s team for Ranked, that is willing to dominate the playlist for ~1 hour; to have fun in the process.

AcridMeat

Banned
My plan for today(December 11th): To play the PC version for a little bit; to gather a good 3s team for Ranked, that is willing to dominate the playlist for ~1 hour; to have fun in the process.
Up for that. I've had some real bum luck in ranked alone. Every game I play my ass off and we give up our lead within the last 30 seconds and/or lose, mostly lose.

Fucking blows. Reminds me why I never play ranked.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Fun? In Rocket League!?

Hehe, more like:
stressball01.jpg

Up for that. I've had some real bum luck in ranked alone. Every game I play my ass off and we give up our lead within the last 30 seconds and/or lose, mostly lose.

Fucking blows. Reminds me why I never play ranked.

I'd like to play in ~6-7 hours from now.

------------------------------

Edit: I can't take this seriously anymore. It must be some kind of joke. This is spread over two months:

screenshot215lyug0.png

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've adopted a more agressive playstyle over the last couple of weeks and I think that this is the problem I've been searching for. I'm going back to my defensive playstyle of laying back and not risking anything. Damn, I was so blind.

^^^ same. It's an easy trap to fall into as your mechanical skill rises but the key to winning consistently is making smart decisions, which usually means playing more passive.

Someone in here recently mentioned Loomin and that guy has very little mechanical skill but is GC in all 4 playlists. He plays extremely passive, tries to maintain ball control, and if he can't, makes smart touches: hard clears, deke / chip ball past closest defender, pass it, etc. Watching him you will note 2 things: 1) you won't believe he is GC and 2) you won't believe how often high level players will eventually hit the the ball right to you if you play passive. Then it's your job to simply not make the same mistake. Maintain possession. Make smart touches. If you lose possession play it safe and cycle back. All the way back. Stay put in goal until the ball is cleared. Never give them an open net.

Every time I go on a losing streak it's from being too aggressive, which happens pretty much always after a lucky streak of getting good teammates that allowed me to play that way :) But luck runs out and refusal to change playstyle -- unless you get lucky with teammates again -- leads to losing streaks and blaming others when the problem is you.

^^^ same. It's an easy trap to fall into as your mechanical skill rises but the key to winning consistently is making smart decisions, which usually means playing more passive.

Someone in here recently mentioned Loomin and that guy has very little mechanical skill but is GC in all 4 playlists. He plays extremely passive, tries to maintain ball control, and if he can't, makes smart touches: hard clears, deke / chip ball past closest defender, pass it, etc. Watching him you will note 2 things: 1) you won't believe he is GC and 2) you won't believe how often high level players will eventually hit the the ball right to you if you play passive. Then it's your job to simply not make the same mistake. Maintain possession. Make smart touches. If you lose possession play it safe and cycle back. All the way back. Stay put in goal until the ball is cleared. Never give them an open net.

Every time I go on a losing streak it's from being too aggressive, which happens pretty much always after a lucky streak of getting good teammates that allowed me to play that way :) But luck runs out and refusal to change playstyle -- unless you get lucky with teammates again -- leads to losing streaks and blaming others when the problem is you.

This is actually really good advice. Play smart and be precise. Try to develop your game-sense. Learn to anticipate. Most plays are easy to read in advance. You know what made Wayne Gretzky so good? He didn't go for the puck. He went for the positions he anticipated that puck to be in.

So I figured out why I sucked really bad recently. I remembered I changed my camera angle from -3.00 to -1.00. So clearly that didn't work out. I'm playing better already now. Who'd have thought such a minor adjustment would make such a big difference.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Five c4 crates later...

Worthless decals everywhere.

I'm so happy that I only have one more key left. This nightmare will finally end.

Top Bottom