• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

It might help to just block all text so you don't have to read it. I rarely see shit talking, but i am also Blue Star..

Yeah I've been debating doing this but it's a shame since sometimes you can run into a pretty nice group even if it's rare. I'm surprised to see it with such frequency to be honest since I'm at Challenger 4 currently. Even prospect wasn't this bad. I'd understand at least a little if it was anything to do with performance but two of these people literally set the other team up then give me shit for not saving it and the rest were just having a go at everyone.

I've been wondering if it's an EU thing since I've heard SAM servers are awful for abuse too. Think I need a break after tonight though, I've not seen such a toxic community in a game since the original GoW until what I witnessed tonight. To add to that the N word really needs to be an auto ban.

If I get the itch to play I may try another server but if it's just as bad I guess chat off will be the only solution.

Yeah I've been debating doing this but it's a shame since sometimes you can run into a pretty nice group even if it's rare. I'm surprised to see it with such frequency to be honest since I'm at Challenger 4 currently. Even prospect wasn't this bad. I'd understand at least a little if it was anything to do with performance but two of these people literally set the other team up then give me shit for not saving it and the rest were just having a go at everyone.

I've been wondering if it's an EU thing since I've heard SAM servers are awful for abuse too. Think I need a break after tonight though, I've not seen such a toxic community in a game since the original GoW until what I witnessed tonight. To add to that the N word really needs to be an auto ban.

If I get the itch to play I may try another server but if it's just as bad I guess chat off will be the only solution.
What I do in ranked is as soon as the trashtalk starts I just go to options and mute all. takes a second and gives people a chance.

Bollocks

from elite to challenger 2, fuck this matchmaking.

they really shouldn't let you relegate more than 1 rank off of your highest rank across all modes.
now as a elite/rising star player I'm stuck in challenger 2 with other fucked elite players and legit challenger 2 players so every game there is a trainwreck, at least they could display the highest attained rank in that mode so you know what's up.

What I do in ranked is as soon as the trashtalk starts I just go to options and mute all. takes a second and gives people a chance.

That's probably the best middle ground I'm going to get to be honest. I don't really want to completely turn off the chat after all. It's amazing how much someone just spamming chat with insults can distract you though. Like, when you're going for a risky aerial and 'DIAF!!' 'KYS!!!' etc just appears in the chat log throws my focus completely. I really don't get why the community is like this at the lower ranks.

No doubt I'll be back again before long, this really is the only game that works as a pick and play sorta thing for me and I think I was actually improving drastically until the fiasco earlier. I guess that's part of what annoys me too, when you start to make some progress someone else see's you make a single mistake and craps all over you giving you that knock to your confidence to make you second guess all your plays for the rest of the game.

Soulflarz

Banned
from elite to challenger 2, fuck this matchmaking.

they really shouldn't let you relegate more than 1 rank off of your highest rank across all modes.
now as a elite/rising star player I'm stuck in challenger 2 with other fucked elite players and legit challenger 2 players so every game there is a trainwreck, at least they could display the highest attained rank in that mode so you know what's up.

This doesn't work because it's a percentage based category- what're they to do?
It also doesn't work because a lot of people get artificially high :x

Bollocks

gw9GtMG.jpg
downfall-o.gif

anyone dropped harder?

Some action shots. I typically go for blue on the blue side but Forrest Green Loopers look so damn good. I still have sky blue and cobalt but neither of them look as good.

That Octane looks really nice. I bought some keys this time but had no luck so far (8 rares) so I'm thinking of just selling crates to get the keys to buy one again. I couldn't be bothered to deal with the trading this time but it's the only route that really makes any sense.

Made my first Rocket League Montage complete with my worst miss ever. Nothing too special but I wanted to share some goals from the perspective of superstar rank!

Rocket League Montage
Haha, the miss at the end was a nice touch. :p

Awesome goals, man. Very fun to watch. Just from watching that I'd say you have the skill to be at least a Champ if not higher. I'm usually stuck in Superstar and I don't see many players quite that good. As you know though, RL is all about consistency.

Soulflarz

Banned
asdfg

I don't get it
I can play RL at purples on pc

ps4? blues...
I'm literally at anything from viewing angle to colder room idek but yeah unless my ps4 is on my monitor im shit

Ballistik

Some action shots. I typically go for blue on the blue side but Forrest Green Loopers look so damn good. I still have sky blue and cobalt but neither of them look as good.

That new Octane looks nice, subtle changes to it. I haven't delved into the trading scene in this game, but I have a good chunk of crates I'd be willing to trade for it. Anyone here know how many and of which kind it would take to get my hands on one?

That new Octane looks nice, subtle changes to it. I haven't delved into the trading scene in this game, but I have a good chunk of crates I'd be willing to trade for it. Anyone here know how many and of which kind it would take to get my hands on one?
Basically CC4s are the only crates with any value these days, and they are worth about 0.5 keys a piece. Not sure what the ZSR is going for but I'd guess 5-10 keys.

Generally speaking crates lose value very quickly. If you can trade them when they're new and shiny you can stockpile some keys but after a few weeks it's tough to get much for them.

I might be able to sell you one in 3 days when trading unlocks.

dsk1210

asdfg

I don't get it
I can play RL at purples on pc

ps4? blues...
I'm literally at anything from viewing angle to colder room idek but yeah unless my ps4 is on my monitor im shit

Nearly all my Rocket League has been at 4k on my OLED and I had been stuck at challenger 2/3 for a while.

Last night I hooked the pc up to my G-sync monitor at 144fps, I had not used the monitor in ages and after a few hours I was almost up at blues. It's crazy how much difference the input lag and higher framerate make on your timing, the car felt as though I had more traction and could handbrake flip so much more accurately.

It looks so good on OLED though :(

Bring on HFR adaptive sync OLED.

Bollocks

so now that I dropped to challenger 2 I get matched with all elites, it's like the game hates me with a passion, I just want to get back up ffs.

Soulflarz

Banned
Nearly all my Rocket League has been at 4k on my OLED and I had been stuck at challenger 2/3 for a while.

Last night I hooked the pc up to my G-sync monitor at 144fps, I had not used the monitor in ages and after a few hours I was almost up at blues. It's crazy how much difference the input lag and higher framerate make on your timing, the car felt as though I had more traction and could handbrake flip so much more accurately.

RIP fell to all star
yeep plugging into my monitor if I ever have a reason to not play PC (where I'm not as trash of a rank thankfully)

so now that I dropped to challenger 2 I get matched with all elites, it's like the game hates me with a passion, I just want to get back up ffs.

Improvement>rank

rank comes with improvement
There are so many things you can do to get out of challengers. I got stuck there forever while I spent time learning things, same for rising star in s2 (which is now...all star?)

It's great though, because once you learn those things, you skip literally the entire block.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
downfall-o.gif

anyone dropped harder?

Well, I dropped from All-Star to Rising Star in Standard. It hurt really bad...

Yeah I dropped from rising star d5 all the way to challenger 3 d.2 and been up and down between that and challenger elite. Fuck psyonix for their fucking half assed broken smurf loaded matchmaking. Seriously fuck them.

Edit also I think we should make a list of smurfs going forward, I know I will be. Can't 100% confirm obviously but seeing people play with unrankeds or silvers when they're rising stars is beyond suspect and deserve getting looked into.

Haha, the miss at the end was a nice touch. :p

Awesome goals, man. Very fun to watch. Just from watching that I'd say you have the skill to be at least a Champ if not higher. I'm usually stuck in Superstar and I don't see many players quite that good. As you know though, RL is all about consistency.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! The last miss made me lol but at the time I was definitely not thinking nice touch ;)

Played a bit unranked with prawn
lmao

superstar my ass :V

even i just solo'd to purple in 2s
I DON'T THINK PRAWN IS BLUES GUYS

Oh but I am as blue as they come lol. Fun games but I was pretty wrecked last night. Congrats on getting to champ and well deserved. Good player!

I know the feeling. I literally Can't play Rocket League on my ps4 after 144fps gsync goodness. It's just too buttery smooth :p

TheKeyPit

Banned
(2v2) Idiot wants to forfeit a 1:2 and stops playing after the forfeit didn't go through. He was a Superstar. Guy should be stripped of all his rankings, items and human rights. Punishment needs to be hard for people like this + crate farmers.

Yeah I dropped from rising star d5 all the way to challenger 3 d.2 and been up and down between that and challenger elite. Fuck psyonix for their fucking half assed broken smurf loaded matchmaking. Seriously fuck them.

Edit also I think we should make a list of smurfs going forward, I know I will be. Can't 100% confirm obviously but seeing people play with unrankeds or silvers when they're rising stars is beyond suspect and deserve getting looked into.
Huh? Smurfs are not really a thing anymore because the matchmaking is heavily weighted towards the player with the highest rank in a party. I hate to say this but the occasional smurf is not the reason why you've dropped so much rank...

Honestly this is one of the best matchmaking systems I've seen in any game. It's frustrating how good it is. I've played thousands and thousands of matches and my winning percentage is still a depressing 55%. No matter how much better you get the game finds a way to consistently match you against players of near equal skill. Of course it's not perfect but it's damn good, which is one of the main reasons so many people are addicted to it.

If you find yourself getting frustrated and dropping a lot of rank the best thing to do is take a break. There is a huge mental component to Rocket League, as with most competitive activities. Losing streaks can get out of hand quickly if you have a bad attitude, I'm sure we've all been there.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Huh? Smurfs are not really a thing anymore because the matchmaking is heavily weighted towards the player with the highest rank in a party. I hate to say this but the occasional smurf is not the reason why you've dropped so much rank...

Honestly this is one of the best matchmaking systems I've seen in any game. It's frustrating how good it is. I've played thousands and thousands of matches and my winning percentage is still a depressing 55%. No matter how much better you get the game finds a way to consistently match you against players of near equal skill. Of course it's not perfect but it's damn good, which is one of the main reasons so many people are addicted to it.

If you find yourself getting frustrated and dropping a lot of rank the best thing to do is take a break. There is a huge mental component to Rocket League, as with most competitive activities. Losing streaks can get out of hand quickly if you have a bad attitude, I'm sure we've all been there.

Aaaaaaaaaaand there is the problem: It matches you against players with equal skill, but it also matches you with teammates of poor skill right from the gutter .

Arttemis

Aaaaaaaaaaand there is the problem: It matches you against players with equal skill, but it also matches you with teammates of poor skill right from the gutter .
I disagree with this. You're just as likely to be that lesser ranked player, and just because you don't play well together doesn't mean they're "gutter"-tier players. That toxic, inflammatory, unnecessary attitude within the community is the worst element of the game.

People have different strategies and play styles. Not all styles gel together.

It's funny. I had gotten this on PC a few months ago and liked it then, but it didn't really sink its hooks. Got it on PS4, and I've been hooked on this. Playing it every day. Always do some training and then a few matches.

Now that I'm getting a bit better at not missing the ball and judging my jumps better, this is like my favorite "soccer" game since FIFA Street. You know the core gameplay is fun af when the training alone, just you, the ball, and the goal, is enjoyable.

I think the best tip I read was not to rush for the ball at the start of the match. If I'm in the center, I drop back to the goal and if not I hang back and only move once the ball gets touched.

I have never been into multiplayer besides Nidhogg and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, but Rocket League and Overwatch are definitely changing my opinion on online/competitive games.

It's funny. I had gotten this on PC a few months ago and liked it then, but it didn't really sink its hooks. Got it on PS4, and I've been hooked on this. Playing it every day. Always do some training and then a few matches.

Now that I'm getting a bit better at not missing the ball and judging my jumps better, this is like my favorite "soccer" game since FIFA Street. You know the core gameplay is fun af when the training alone, just you, the ball, and the goal, is enjoyable.

I think the best tip I read was not to rush for the ball at the start of the match. If I'm in the center, I drop back to the goal and if not I hang back and only move once the ball gets touched.

I have never been into multiplayer besides Nidhogg and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, but Rocket League and Overwatch are definitely changing my opinion on online/competitive games.

A thousand hours later I still want to play this everyday.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm thinking about hiding divisions for ranked.

------------

I disagree with this. You're just as likely to be that lesser ranked player, and just because you don't play well together doesn't mean they're "gutter"-tier players. That toxic, inflammatory, unnecessary attitude within the community is the worst element of the game.

People have different strategies and play styles. Not all styles gel together.

"Gutter" was a bit harsh, but a lot of matches exist where I just look at my teammates and think "How did you even reach that rank?".

Soulflarz

Banned
After some positive comments from you guys I logged on today and went for it solo in 2's and... Promotion!

cyyj2ID.jpg

Thanks for the push. Happy days :D

meanwhile ruruja and i played like trash and i fell 2 divs XDD

we're all so close to glory

I'm thinking about hiding divisions for ranked.

------------

"Gutter" was a bit harsh, but a lot of matches exist where I just look at my teammates and think "How did you even reach that rank?".

It's because say...okay, say you know doing a backboard shot is optimal, however, you're not exactly the best at them.

The bad player doing the sub optimal choice can beat anyone before his rank who's even worse, but because you can't hard carry your own punishes, no one really gets what you're doing. If that makes any sense. Basically- get so good that you can hard carry or you need to dumb things down at times.

This is why I say getting better pretty much is always the answer- improving at lower ranks where people can't stop x or y >>>> getting hardlocked because you haven't learned a fundamental skill those around you can now block because you can't do it perfectly.

Unicorn

Why do I keep getting an urge to buy keys. I broke and bought some a few days ago. Now I have 3 cc4 and just want to buy 10 keys to open half my crates.

Why do I keep getting an urge to buy keys. I broke and bought some a few days ago. Now I have 3 cc4 and just want to buy 10 keys to open half my crates.

Is there something in particular you want from them? You can get an octane for 6 keys now. The only thing worth gambling for is painted zombas or BM decals but the odds of getting those are terrible.

Unicorn

Is there something in particular you want from them? You can get an octane for 6 keys now. The only thing worth gambling for is painted zombas or BM decals but the odds of getting those are terrible.
I mean, I do like that slot machine animation... I do want the new Octane. Still need breakout and dominus too.

Big Nikus

Same. I've never been a fan of online multiplayer games, except AC last gen. And I've been playing Rocket League for the past few months and now Overwatch with two friends I kinda lost contact with since highschool and we're having a blast every day.

Personally I think you increase ranks too fast/easily. I'm up to Level 8, but I don't feel my skill level is there yet.
I did score three goals in a row one game yesterday, so that was cool

Finally got a backboard dunk I can be proud of!
Damn, that's amazing

Is there any tips for catching the ball when it rolls up the wall? I always overshoot.

Damn, that's amazing

Is there any tips for catching the ball when it rolls up the wall? I always overshoot.

It takes some getting used to but you can normally work it out by how the ball approaches the wall. If the ball is rolling smooth you're clear to boost straight at it since it will stick to the wall. If the ball has got a minor bit of bounce to it I find it usually slips off the wall a bit before its even lost it's momentum so with those I slow it down since you'll need to jump to meet it to get a solid hit.

I find I overshoot a lot when I go in too fast to get that jump or adjust my angle. Plus a slower hit off the wall can often work out better since you can chase it in the air a lot easier, or even carry it.

EDIT: oh and I forgot to mention Snow Day. That game mode is great for getting basic wall practice in since the puck just sticks to the walls.

Unicorn

Personally I think you increase ranks too fast/easily. I'm up to Level 8, but I don't feel my skill level is there yet.
I did score three goals in a row one game yesterday, so that was cool

Damn, that's amazing

Are you talking about your player level that shows up on bottom left of the screen of the main menu, or ranked?

The personal level will slow down once you get around level 20. I have over 500 hours and am level 53 or 54. They speed you through rookie, semi-pro, and pro. I agree that goes too quickly compared to the later ranks. I feel they need more ranks as you level slower so it's not every 10 levels, but every 2 once you break 45 or 50. That's when the real skill gaps show vs time played. Rookie through pro I just assume they don't know anything or they are a new smurf account - see real quick after kick off. But people that are master or expert - real gamble as to if they know what they're doing or if they have just played a lot. I would not label myself master as I play about what expert rank is, or lower sometimes. Based purely on my skill vs time played.

Sorry to be dropping two gifs in a single page but damn I love moments like these where your team mate and you just know exactly what each other can do and without communication manage to sync up perfectly.

Okay, Rumble matches are awesome

Yeah the game mode is a whole load of fun. Some of the stuff that goes on is pure madness and it's a great breakaway if you're having a bad day with the standard modes since it's hard to be mad at something so hilarious and unpredictable. To be honest each mode is great in it's own way. The only one I'd say is an awkward one from the bunch is hoops since you need to be pretty good in the air to get the most out of it. I really can't wait to see what other modes they add throughout 2017.

Seriously, those aerial moves are insane. How many hours did you need to put in to get that good?

Play time right now is around 1000 hours. Ironically though my rank is low, right now Challenger 3 since I just play for fun. I very rarely pop into ranked and when I do I usually just go down the ranks instead of up. I have the mechanical skill but I seem to still suck at the fundamentals I guess. You can probably get to this level in about a quarter of what it took me since I seem to be really slow at picking up the hard stuff and generally playing catch up to everyone.

Top Bottom