• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
im just practicing stuff till the season has an enddate, then taking what ive learned to hit champ on ps4/pc without much issue again. I'd rather use ranked to practice till then :p

Salsa

community still irrevocably filled with absolute assholes

I know I sound like a broken record probably but it's a fucking bummer when you dont have anything else to complain about in the game really

granted SAM (where I get the best ping being from south america) is still like.. ridiculously worse than any other server. just filled with people from brazil going KKKKKKK EZZ EZZZ at every stop

I just played with 2 brazilians who were pretty good. I scored 2 goals and they both went "Calculated." at all of em

then started laughing when they scored

I went "nice one" at legitimate good plays from em. at the end of the game when they went EZ EZZ BRRR HUEHUHEUHE KKK I just went "yeah im gonna give props to proper plays rather than being smug with "Calculated"s at the first goal of the match"

of course that only gave more fuel for them to go KKKKKKK LOOOOOOOL GAAAY or whatever

this is at a high rank and it gets worse the higher I get

it really fucking sucks. reported them both but I doubt anything will happen

not so much a dig at Psyonix since I know managing this stuff must be super hard, but it's really baffling why people wanna ruin a game's community this badly.

some other dude who won also went on about wanting me to give him crates in order for him to "bump up" my rank

shit is whack

I have had some miserable matches in terms of social interaction lately. I'm a middling player, only just into challenger elite, but when a guy starts trash talking before the game even starts it makes me want to quit. Don't know if I'll hit ranked mode again this season with how toxic people get.

Salsa

That sucks and I don't know if north America east or west would be much better.

I play in SAM and USE

SAM is much worse

the second time in that twice in a row comment was some guy that seemed actually nice and then went on the usual KKKK LOL YOU SUCK DONT PLAY ANYMORE LMAO after losing with a score higher than his

I do have the "lol people getting angry over a game" mentality but after the 10th time it just makes me wanna stop playing, I just dont get how griefing your teammate is supposed to help you

US E has some assholes but that's more of a "happens in all games" thing. SAM is a complete fucking turd sandwich in terms of community. there's not ONE nice guy in any game i've played. no one says GG or well played after a game, etc. everyone goes "ez" or "kkkkk"

the worse is when they start playing against you, or straight up stop playing

i'd play in other servers, but SAM gives me 40 ping. USE is 180+, so im fucked

it directly affects my rank. so im just bound to be screwed. people are dicks, stop playing mid-game after griefing over a single miss and laughing about it, rank goes down, repeat

dsk1210

I play in SAM and USE

SAM is much worse

the second time in that twice in a row comment was some guy that seemed actually nice and then went on the usual KKKK LOL YOU SUCK DONT PLAY ANYMORE LMAO after losing with a score higher than his

I do have the "lol people getting angry over a game" mentality but after the 10th time it just makes me wanna stop playing, I just dont get how griefing your teammate is supposed to help you

US E has some assholes but that's more of a "happens in all games" thing. SAM is a complete fucking turd sandwich in terms of community. there's not ONE nice guy in any game i've played. no one says GG or well played after a game, etc. everyone goes "ez" or "kkkkk"

it directly affects my rank. so im just bound to be screwed. people are dicks, stop playing mid-game after griefing over a single miss and laughing about it, rank goes down, repeat

The only way is to find some people to partner up with. I still play randoms but when I find people who seem nice and can play I sometimes send a friend request and team up for a couple of games. Ended up with quite a few who are on quite a bit.

The European servers seem quite good actually, I very seldom get paired with assholes.

Well I got to pick up my shiny new controller seeing as my current one has been worn down to the plastic. Come the 25th I'll be swapping to the Xbone Elite along with air roll left and right mapped to the bumpers which is going to some getting used to, but it should add some new ways to look fancy when the chance arises.

To my surprise my MSI Gaming 5 Mobo has no bluetooth, so I had to buy a dongle for that to go with it. Unfortunately there's a sea of chinese rip offs on Amazon so I decided on an Asus one with 4 stars and a number of reviews that say it doesn't work :/ fingers crossed. That was literally the best of the bunch and I'd rather not go PCI-E.

I play in SAM and USE

SAM is much worse

FWIW I get pushed away from ranked easily for the same crap in EU. It seems to be around particular ranks (challenger to low blues) and going by a few streams I watched recently the same divisions suffer similar issues on other continents. It's really annoying to be honest, I'd like to just stick to ranked to try improve but the constant fighting is a huge turn off. I know I can mute, but it drains the enthusiasm bit by bit.

not so much a dig at Psyonix since I know managing this stuff must be super hard, but it's really baffling why people wanna ruin a game's community this

I turned off text chat and haven't looked back. I only use it when playing with people I know. If I see quick chat spamming, I immediately mute them, including my teammates.

It sucks that I can't fully engage with the community anymore. And it's much harder to meet people to potentially team up with. But it's saved my sanity.

I turned off text chat and haven't looked back. I only use it when playing with people I know. If I see quick chat spamming, I immediately mute them, including my teammates.

It sucks that I can't fully engage with the community anymore. And it's much harder to meet people to potentially team up with. But it's saved my sanity.

I think my favorite just happened tonight. Stole an aerial from a much better team for my own aerial and had a save, but the teammate with no stats claims I just camped in goal when we lost. lol

J. Bravo

I play in SAM and USE

SAM is much worse

We can try playing together on SAM servers. Also, mute them. You really don't need any sort of communication with other players in the game.

Yes. Overall advice is stick to realistic game situation packs vs crazy kill yourself challenges. To which my favorites are from a guy (Nox) I found through subreddit. He has 2 video / packs which are great as he shows you a variety of ways to approach each shot (aerial, power shot, and chip / follow). This one covers a bunch of common ground / low aerial shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgF-bTwQT5M

In addition to variants mentioned above I added in catches and small chips as the ball bounces to transition to a dribble and take the ball all the way to the goal, finishing with a flick or hop. I also use small chips to set up ground to air dribbles or dribble to nearby wall for wall air dribbles (see below for great pack on these!)

The second one is all about aerials -- flying upside down / sideways started to feel natural after hitting this one hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXZ_xMLIANQ

If you want to master air dribbling from ground & walls this video / pack by Mason is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B4HW6blWk4

Codes are for PC but I made PS4 copies for all 3 if you need them -- making copies of the packs / making your own packs is actually pretty informative in itself as it give you an interesting POV on ball trajectory, speed, and starting car positioning.

Can you post your PS4 codes here? Thanks!

Soulflarz

Banned
I think my favorite just happened tonight. Stole an aerial from a much better team for my own aerial and had a save, but the teammate with no stats claims I just camped in goal when we lost. lol

I promise you for any "you did X or Y!"
A) you don't know rotation yet so it largely doesn't matter what he's saying since you haven't learned it yet
B) he doesn't know rotation and therefore doesn't understand you and nothing you say will matter

hence talks on rotation or "challenge it faster!" will never do anything

and is why largely chatting to people is useless RIP

Can you post your PS4 codes here? Thanks!

6E86-7D78-D8F9-E044 <-- nox's shot consistency
3763-C2E2-d871-C6CB <-- nox's aerial training
3FD3-4201-23B6-24B1 <-- mason's ground + air dribbling

some other favorites if you are looking for effective packs:

6167-8245-DC7B-DE61 <-- rookie dribble training
36C0-B1AB-296F-6E5A <-- pro dribble training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGj7-KOCCtU
AE11-91CC-EBC3-1FDB <-- all-star dribble training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8d9Hj3S1UY

0B61-E93D-06A2-0CFE <-- nick's warmup drills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UgQJQ-QhY&feature=youtu.be
8C18-E997-F8D4-4544 <-- kickoffs: http://imgur.com/a/5tFi8
FADD-89F6-8A86-441F <-- wall shots
06CC-FBF6-E2BA-3624 <-- goalie * try to make the saves with & without boost (!)

no associated videos with last 2 but i can record me doing them if you need help!

XD

^^^ Salsa, brother, please stop torturing yourself and follow this advice!

To partially negate downsides OP mentions try mixing things up: if all chat gets bad switch to quick chat only and if that gets bad turn off chat completely for a few days. The less you are exposed to toxic chat overall the easier it will become to ignore.

Another thing you can try is hang a sock over the top left corner of the screen to block your view of chat at start of game. When you have the lead take the sock off so you can read chat. Winning makes toxic chat more bearable and you won't miss out any positive chat. Game tied or losing the sock stays / goes back on.

You can also use the sock tip to cover up time & scoreboard if you find that focusing on score / time left negatively affects your play.

rafaelr

ps4 training codes

thanks for those!
i also tried to recreate nox´s shot consistency pack, interesting to have the same shots in principle, but with a bit of variation now. here´s mine if you wanna give it a try:
686F-85F5-C69E-B3E7

it´d be a really cool feature if psyonix could let us add little random elements like speed or angle to each shot

2 other basic ones i like to do:
power shots (20 shots): 9A02-8D65-4923-0A11
wall shots(14 shots): E864-0E1A-01B2-8C2B

thanks for those!
i also tried to recreate nox´s shot consistency pack, interesting to have the same shots in principle, but with a bit of variation now. here´s mine if you wanna give it a try:
686F-85F5-C69E-B3E7

it´d be a really cool feature if psyonix could let us add little random elements like speed or angle to each shot

2 other basic ones i like to do:
power shots (20 shots): 9A02-8D65-4923-0A11
wall shots(14 shots): E864-0E1A-01B2-8C2B

I agree about random elements and think we'll get something like that in future updates. I'm hoping for mirror shots and stationary / moving obstacles for dribbling.

Thanks for the codes! I'll check out your packs tonight.

Soulflarz

Banned
random elements and such are why i dont do redirect practice- they're largely too randomized to be a specific type of training

as Prawn and I demonstrated by scoring 2 pinch powershots across the map accurately in under 1.5 minutes, you can do stuff like this at any given time if both people know exactly what to do.
(I might actually post those cause it was kinda ridiculous we can consistently pull it off)

random elements and such are why i dont do redirect practice- they're largely too randomized to be a specific type of training

as Prawn and I demonstrated by scoring 2 pinch powershots across the map accurately in under 1.5 minutes, you can do stuff like this at any given time if both people know exactly what to do.
(I might actually post those cause it was kinda ridiculous we can consistently pull it off)

Nooooot quite certain that twice would be considered consistently ;P

Soulflarz

Banned
Nooooot quite certain that twice would be considered consistently ;P

of the 4 times we tried we got 3 last night!
and if they don't drive into me badly i can consistently get it on goal/very close :3

You just need to know how to tilt your car into the other guy and pray he knows how to angle the powershot~

NOW SERIOUSLY LETS LEARN IT FOR PROSTRAT PUNISHES

ErichWK

It's so frustrated consistently getting 500+ points with 6 shots in doubles and your team mate is holding you back forcing you to lose.

Fiction and rafaelr, thanks so much for the codes! I've started working on the Psyonix ones, so these will be great to use as well. I've been living in free play for the past month or so, practicing more than I play matches. My mechanical skill was so poor. I was essentially in mid-high challenger in standard and into rising star in doubles just on my anticipation and positioning. I've been working hard on my ground game and accuracy of my shots, but these training packs should really help accelerate my development.

I just want to be a good solid player. I have no delusions of being a very good or great player in the champion ranks. I'll be happy enough to be able to get my car to do what I want it to do and be able to make actual plays with my teammates instead of relying on people making mistakes. I've played a little in rising star and know there's definitely some good team play in the blue star ranks. Hoping to get there in standard as well!

Soulflarz

Banned
tbh purple is very achievable nowadays. Maybe not long enough to stay in there for long, but it's definitely doable with enough practice and targeted attempts at getting better!

fuck it bored of wd2
5-1
superstar 3
lets see where I go

edit: 6-3 lol, naah, watch dogs 2 time, superstar 3 is a good stopping point :V

Grinchy

Banned
If you got to like Rising Star, stopped playing ranked, and the season ended without you ever doing the 2 qualifying matches to get ranked again, do you still get the blue-tier season rewards?

Shantom

If you got to like Rising Star, stopped playing ranked, and the season ended without you ever doing the 2 qualifying matches to get ranked again, do you still get the blue-tier season rewards?

The tier rewards are for highest tier reached, so I think you should still get them.

dsk1210

It's so frustrated consistently getting 500+ points with 6 shots in doubles and your team mate is holding you back forcing you to lose.

You really can't just go with points total, I have had lots of players who hit every fucking ball and have no spacial awareness and have actively stopped me from shooting and creating opportunities, therefore my score looks shit but these assholes have totally stopped me from playing because of their stupidity.

Sweet, that's what I'm assuming, too. I should really get back into ranked at some point, but unranked is just so much more fun.

This is me. I got my MMR high enough in unranked to run into GC's / pros fairly regularly and can hang with them. Most aren't playing as hard as competitive but it's still nice to play with / against against upper tier players without grind / toxicity of ranked play. I put off ranked until next season and we all know how long that has taken :D but I'm really going to commit when it does. I simply don't play ranked enough due to tilt from low skill / idiot teammates BUT this is on me for not adjusting playstyle. If I just play fast, make good touches and immediately cycle back on D (unless clear breakaway) I usually win regardless of teammates.

Psyonix, please! start the new season already :p

Hasney

Even with a new season, the old season is taken into account in terms of MMR and where you end up after placement anyway. Its just means we get cosmetic shit.

Grinchy

Banned
This is me. I got my MMR high enough in unranked to run into GC's / pros fairly regularly and can hang with them. Most aren't playing as hard as competitive but it's still nice to play with / against against upper tier players without grind / toxicity of ranked play. I put off ranked until next season and we all know how long that has taken :D but I'm really going to commit when it does. I simply don't play ranked enough due to tilt from low skill / idiot teammates BUT this is on me for not adjusting playstyle. If I just play fast, make good touches and immediately cycle back on D (unless clear breakaway) I usually win regardless of teammates.

Psyonix, please! start the new season already :p

Yep, I used to avoid unranked because I was getting matched up against people who barely knew how to play. Now I get games against people better than me. Being able to play better players with nothing on the line great.

I get in lots of games with people who like doing the comedic trash talking, too. No one's taking it seriously and we develop like little inside jokes over the course of multiple games. It's so much better than playing Ranked where everyone acts like they're losing the RLCS every time you get scored on.

I like the bit where they say they've considered a batmobile-like car. I love that hitbox but I hate playing with licensed vehicles.

Do it Psyonix.
cadillac-eldorado-5.jpg

I would love a car like Batmobile without license so you can alter appearance. Getting around copyright shouldn't be too difficult -- some ideas:

Hatmobile * big hat w/wheels
Catmobile * furry + shedding hair trail
Ratmobile * furry + plague trail
Tatmobile * tricked out w/ink
Gatmobile * it's got guns son
Mattmobile * looks like guy you know named Matt
Itspatmobile * looks like someone you know and aren't sure if they are a girl or a guy
Shatmobile * big steaming turd w/wheels -- wait already have this with Gizmo :p

88random

Bought a key for the first time and got the import Octane. Dat RNG luck.

Got into the blues in 1v1. And I'm on the brink of shooting star in 3v3. And it actually feels easier now that I'm in the blues, for the first time teammates know what they're doing. I know it isn't very popular to say that, but I really feel like they held me back in gold, no one knew rotation, defense didn't exist and sometimes it's hard to carry the whole team alone.

Top Bottom