• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Enron

Banned
took about an hour of dicking around with settings (it turns out I had every single one of the PC issues -_- ) but finally got it working.

This shit is AWESOME. Only playing on 0-25 level difficulty on riff repeater, but i can hit about 85% or more of the songs i tried. Hands move a lot better than i thought they would.

rvy

Banned
Muse 5 Pack

Hysteria (2003) Tuning: E Standard
Time is Running Out (2003) Tuning: E Standard
Supermassive Black Hole (2006) Tuning: E Standard
Stockholm Syndrome (2003) Tuning: Drop D
Muscle Museum (1999) Tuning: E Standard

Good stuff.

Bleh, I wish they did more older rock DLC. The Who was great, but god damn what I would give for some Dire Straits, Thin Lizzy, or Steppenwolf.

So far my top 3 songs by amount played and mastery are "My Generation," "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," and "American Woman." Such fun songs to play.

Lady Gaia

I picked up Rocksmith 2014 a few weeks before Thanksgiving and I'm thoroughly addicted. I haven't touched a bass in twenty years, and even then I did little more than tinker. Since I got the title I've played every single day, have taken a lesson with an instructor to focus on technique, and bought a decent bass to replace my ancient and noisy Peavey Foundation S (I wound up with a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme at Black Friday sale prices and positively adore her!)

Yeah, I picked up the game and guitar the first week of November and I think I've only missed a day of playing. Definitely has kept me interested and for the most part I'd argue Ubisoft has kept up their end of the promise when they say "Learn guitar in 60 days." The difference between me now and me 30ish days ago is pretty significant, be interested to see where I'm at in another 30.

This has gotten me thinking about getting a new guitar, though. That Les Paul Jr seems perfectly suitable for an absolute beginner, but I can see myself buying something nicer in 5-6 months.

rav

BAH!
So I unlocked the play Learn a Song mode for 25 hours on UPlay, but the steam achievement didn't unlock. :(

Anyone else had this issue?

Edit: Apparently the UPlay achievement is for 24 hours. The Steam achievement is for 25 hours...

Bandito

Neo Member
Placed an order for the guitar bundle yesterday. €140 delivered off amazon uk :D

Ive always wanted to learn an instrument. I already own an acoustic and a set of drums. Eventually i just lose interest.. this is my last chance saloon. Im hoping i keep the interest and rocksmith helps me achieve what ive tried for the last 5/6 years! :D

Looks like a fantastic bit of software

Apeopleman

Hey everyone.

I have wanted to learn guitar for years, bit never pursued the idea. This game seems like something I'd jump into, going by what I hear that its easy for beginners.

I've learned that you have to have a real electric guitar, the game, and proprietary cable, correct?

If I was to jump in;

A. Is it okay to start on the 2014 version?

B. I was eyeballing this bundle http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/rocksmith-2014-edition-guitar-bundle/112049 . Is it a good value, or should I buy a seperate guitar, because that one is bad, or whats the story? I'm clueless, please, someone with experience with guitars, help me out! thank you!

Again, I have no knowledge on this subject. Looking forward to your opinions and recomendations!

DrBo42

Hey everyone.

I have wanted to learn guitar for years, bit never pursued the idea. This game seems like something I'd jump into, going by what I hear that its easy for beginners.

I've learned that you have to have a real electric guitar, the game, and proprietary cable, correct?

If I was to jump in;

A. Is it okay to start on the 2014 version?

B. I was eyeballing this bundle http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/rocksmith-2014-edition-guitar-bundle/112049 . Is it a good value, or should I buy a seperate guitar, because that one is bad, or whats the story? I'm clueless, please, someone with experience with guitars, help me out! thank you!

Again, I have no knowledge on this subject. Looking forward to your opinions and recomendations!

A: Absolutely jump in with 2014 rather than the previous. It's much improved.

B: The Les Paul Jr is a fine starter guitar but you might want to put aside some cash to get the instrument setup at a local shop to ensure intonation and general playability is up to par.

Apeopleman

A: Absolutely jump in with 2014 rather than the previous. It's much improved.

B: The Les Paul Jr is a fine starter guitar but you might want to put aside some cash to get the instrument setup at a local shop to ensure intonation and general playability is up to par.

Thanks for the reply.

Apparently, gamestop online is sold out, as well as amazon. Was this a short run, limited supply, or high demand or something? MSRP is 200, and I see ebay auctions well over that. Why is this?

Assuming I can't find the bundle, what are my options are far as buying a guitar goes?

faust666

Is this game ever going to leave "beta"? Because it's really becoming quite tiresome and only getting worse with every hour played. I assume using a version of the gamebryo engine again is what's causing all the trouble?

Nzyme32

For any seasoned guitarists (8 years experience, including working for a guitar amplification company and 2 years as a sessions musician) - the main mode is pretty horrible from my perspective, as you have to go through a few too many hurdles to reach a meaning full level of play.

That said, the practise mode and lessons are decent. I personally find that I struggle to really learn anything as I'm more focused on looking at the next finger positions, and the lesson section only has a handful that relate to my level.

The iterative speed feature for playing certain parts of a song is fantastic though, as increments and repetition cycles can all be set up. The real crux of the flaw of rocksmith is that songs you may want to learn may not be there or be behind a dlc wall, leading me to just feel fine with gp6 or tabs and a metronome. Perhaps the game just simply isn't design for someone with my experience, which is a shame.

For anyone that wants to learn though, or has been an on off player who doesn't feel they are developing much, this is a great tool.

But consider it just that, a tool. You will be well served to try the songs and techniques unaided just as much as with the help of rocksmith

Enron

Banned
Thanks for the reply.

Apparently, gamestop online is sold out, as well as amazon. Was this a short run, limited supply, or high demand or something? MSRP is 200, and I see ebay auctions well over that. Why is this?

Assuming I can't find the bundle, what are my options are far as buying a guitar goes?

Probably because of popularity. Rocksmith is flying off the shelves. It's not a limited run, there will be more stock.

If you wanted to just buy a non-RS 2014 bundled guitar, you can opt for the Les Paul Jr. by itself or the Les Paul Special II, which is around 150. Then there is the Les Paul 100, which is 250 but has a slightly arched maple top, 4 tone/volume controls, a pickguard, and far superior tuners on the headstock to what the Jr and Special II have. Beyond that, Best Buy has a Les Paul Standard selling for 288 (A standard from what i have seen is usually 400-500 dollars) which is far superior to the 100. I think I might be getting one of these. I don't need that much guitar, but its such a good deal.

Best Buy also has a Squire Bullet Stratocaster on clearance for 80-something dollars (ship to store only) on their website. That would be good I think. You can find other Squire Strats and Telecasters from the Affinity series for under 200.

As far as quality, any recomendations? Thanks.

From what i've been told, a cheap guitar is a cheap guitar and you shouldn't expect it to be as nice as a 1000 dollar one. There are going to be Quality issues with anything under 500 bucks. However, most of the Epiphones and Fender Squires are built well enough that their Quality issues are mostly cosmetic or issues of finish, and not anything that would be a dealbreaker as far as playability is concerned. One thing I have noticed is that my LP Special II that i got last week has really rough fret ends that you can feel on your fingers as you go up and down the neck. Tuners go out of tune a lot. My sister's husbands Squire Strat has a much higher level of finish than the comparable epiphone does.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I've been playing 2013 for the last few days, just got 2014 today. 2013 jumped me right into a bunch of stuff before I was ready. It seems not to detect when a player has trouble going from one string to another. That baseball arcade game is nice, but even at it's slowest, it's too fast for me when I'm not playing the low e (red) string. If 2014 has the same problem, I'mma need a supplementary exercise for getting used to changing to higher pitched strings faster

Apeopleman

Probably because of popularity. Rocksmith is flying off the shelves. It's not a limited run, there will be more stock.

If you wanted to just buy a non-RS 2014 bundled guitar, you can opt for the Les Paul Jr. by itself or the Les Paul Special II, which is around 150. Then there is the Les Paul 100, which is 250 but has a slightly arched maple top, 4 tone/volume controls, a pickguard, and far superior tuners on the headstock to what the Jr and Special II have. Beyond that, Best Buy has a Les Paul Standard selling for 288 (A standard from what i have seen is usually 400-500 dollars) which is far superior to the 100. I think I might be getting one of these. I don't need that much guitar, but its such a good deal.

Best Buy also has a Squire Bullet Stratocaster on clearance for 80-something dollars (ship to store only) on their website. That would be good I think. You can find other Squire Strats and Telecasters from the Affinity series for under 200.

From what i've been told, a cheap guitar is a cheap guitar and you shouldn't expect it to be as nice as a 1000 dollar one. There are going to be Quality issues with anything under 500 bucks. However, most of the Epiphones and Fender Squires are built well enough that their Quality issues are mostly cosmetic or issues of finish, and not anything that would be a dealbreaker as far as playability is concerned. One thing I have noticed is that my LP Special II that i got last week has really rough fret ends that you can feel on your fingers as you go up and down the neck. Tuners go out of tune a lot. My sister's husbands Squire Strat has a much higher level of finish than the comparable epiphone does.

Have played a bunch of decent Yamaha, Jay Tursor, and Epiphone guitars.

Thank you for the replies. Very informative. I shall do the research on these myself.

Forgive my ignorance. A bass guitar is called a bass. So what is an electric guitar called, in "technical terms"?

As Enron said, here is the 88 USD guitar http://www.bestbuy.com/site/squier-...lack/9298618.p?id=1218087597598&skuId=9298618

Is it terrible in quality, or is it good enough to perform and teach me the basics, and not let me regret my decision shall I not be as interested in guitar as much as I thought I would be?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Welp, the sound isn't working on this game for me (2014 version). Apparently this happens with USB audio interfaces, and I can get it to work by disabling the lower latency mode of 2014, or using the onboard audio (I cannot connect my speakers to the onboard audio because they are professional studio monitors that take XLR inputs). Great, I have to disable the only positive that made me buy the new version to get it to work correctly. Fucking kudos.

And this Uplay shit is awful. I hope they like their 1 star reviews on like 20 different sites.

Onemic

Welp, the sound isn't working on this game for me (2014 version). Apparently this happens with USB audio interfaces, and I can get it to work by disabling the lower latency mode of 2014, or using the onboard audio (I cannot connect my speakers to the onboard audio because they are professional studio monitors that take XLR inputs). Great, I have to disable the only positive that made me buy the new version to get it to work correctly. Fucking kudos.

And this Uplay shit is awful. I hope they like their 1 star reviews on like 20 different sites.

Ya, the Uplay integration is the worst. It annoys me because if I have Uplay on Steam will say I'm playing Rocksmith, when really I'm surfing the web. Sucks about your audio situation though. Do you know of any alternatives to set your audio up so it will work with 2014 correctly? Have you tried using headphones?

I'mma need a supplementary exercise for getting used to changing to higher pitched strings faster

I'd use 'riff repeater' to slow it down.

Apparently this happens with USB audio interfaces, and I can get it to work by disabling the lower latency mode of 2014, or using the onboard audio (I cannot connect my speakers to the onboard audio because they are professional studio monitors that take XLR inputs).

Really? That stinks. Can you use onboard audio for input and use USB audio for output?

Forgive my ignorance. A bass guitar is called a bass. So what is an electric guitar called, in "technical terms"?

Electric guitar. A bass guitar is a fretted, guitar-sized replacement of the double bass. It was invented by in the '30s and popularized in the '50s by Leo Fender. Acoustic bass guitars are more modern than electric bass guitars, which is why the latter don't get the 'electric' designation. Whereas the electric guitar is newer than the guitar. Make sense? This glosses over a lot.

As Enron said, here is the 88 USD guitar. Is it terrible in quality?

Probably. Don't buy guitars from electronics stores.

Onemic

Thank you for the replies. Very informative. I shall do the research on these myself.

As Enron said, here is the 88 USD guitar http://www.bestbuy.com/site/squier-...lack/9298618.p?id=1218087597598&skuId=9298618

Is it terrible in quality, or is it good enough to perform and teach me the basics, and not let me regret my decision shall I not be as interested in guitar as much as I thought I would be?

I've owned a Bullet before(humbucker version) as my first guitar and I can tell you that it is without a doubt a terrible, useless piece of shit. It's more likely to make you not want to play because the action is so damn high and the sound sucks. The action is definitely the worst part about it. Only buy it if you're so strapped for cash that you can't spend at least 100 more on a better electric.

Enron

Banned

Probably. Don't buy guitars from electronics stores.

That Squire Strat is the exact same Squire Strat you can buy at Sam Ash or Guitar Center or your local music store. It's generally considered a good starter/student guitar. Sure, some people might not like it because its cheap but the fact is that for the price, it's pretty decent. Go do some research on your own, though, and weigh the opinions of posters on guitar forums and reviewers against a couple people on GAF.

Helpful 2 part rundown on the Squire Bullet Strat
Part 1
Part 2

Best Buy also sells Epiphone Les Paul Standards, Fenders, Schecters, and Jay Tursers. Some of which are over 1500 dollars. And it's an electronics store. It's fine. Doesn't matter where you buy your guitar, as long as its from a safe reseller (no counterfeits!) which an Electronics chain like BB will be. Just make sure you take it to a guitar shop and get it set up properly. It's not going to be perfect (or even good) out of the box.

inner-G

Banned
Thanks for the reply.

Best Buy has these on sale for $129 this week which is a FUCKING STEAL! I just picked one up myself:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/squier-...urst/2921709.p?id=1218364488116&skuId=2921709

Squire Strat SE, small amp, stand, strings (pick up some real ones and stick with the same kind), strap and cable, everything you need. Can't touch the price for brand new stuff.

Enron

Banned
Best Buy has these on sale for $129 this week which is a FUCKING STEAL! I just picked one up myself:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/squier-...urst/2921709.p?id=1218364488116&skuId=2921709

Squire Strat SE, small amp, stand, strings (pick up some real ones and stick with the same kind), strap and cable, everything you need. Can't touch the price for brand new stuff.

That is a steal. That guitar is the next model up from the Bullet Strat I linked. 50 bucks more for a better guitar and you get an amp, bag, strap, etc. Go for that one.

Keegs

The Bullet Strat was my first guitar too. I outgrew it pretty quickly. Getting the next version up is a good idea. Since you're just learning the fundamentals right now, you won't know what you're missing with a better guitar, which is fine.

Yea, I'd go for that deal. Guitars keep their value pretty much too (well, name brands), so if you decide in 3 months you don't want that Fender anymore you can put on craigslist or whatever classifieds and recoup a big chunk of your money.

I would recommend whatever you get, you get it set up by a luthier at your local shop. If you actually buy one from a local shop, it will probably already be set up though, so that's probaly $20-30 you're saving off that bat, too.

Apeopleman

Just browsing, amd came across this. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/synyster-gates-custom-limited-edition-6-string-full-size-electric-guitar/1205647.p?id=1218234044495&skuId=1205647&st=categoryid$pcmcat151600050006&cp=1&lp=1

Why is it so expenisve?

Wow, lookimg at others, there are ones in the 1,000s easy, why ia that?

Maddog

Just browsing, amd came across this. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/synyster-gates-custom-limited-edition-6-string-full-size-electric-guitar/1205647.p?id=1218234044495&skuId=1205647&st=categoryid$pcmcat151600050006&cp=1&lp=1

Why is it so expenisve?

Wow, lookimg at others, there are ones in the 1,000s easy, why ia that?

It's expensive because it says Synyster Gates on it though.

There are guitars that are so expensive because a variety of factors. The brand, where they are made, type of pickups, etc. You get what you pay for.

ElCidTmax

Picked up last years version with the cable for 1/2 price on amazon. Bought 2014 on sale through PSN. Paid the 10 bucks to import last years tracks. This is really an amazing piece of software. I'm really enjoying the mix of songs - quite a few of which I wasn't that familiar with, but are fun to play. This is great motivation when you find yourself playing the same songs over and over.

llamarawk

This probably goes without saying, but this game is all about improving your guitar skills and it shouldn't really matter if the track listing doesn't interest you, right?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If you're looking for a cheapish guitar buy used. Or buy an Agile from here:

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

I'm not good at guitar but I used to engineer. I have an Agile copy of a les paul and the sound and action are really nice.

edit: to be fair, I have this: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100boundcsb.html

But I ordered a less expensive version of the exact same thing for around 225ish, then ran into some more money and bought the more expensive version before I even received the first guitar. I was able to try out both. The one I kept (the more expensive version) has better electronics and had a thicker maple top compared to the cheaper version. The cheaper one had probably 85-90% of the sound quality as the one I kept. I heard about them because of their strat copies which are supposed to be really great, but I have not actually tried those out.

Here is the cheaper one that I purchased and then resold: http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000csb.html

Iorv3th

Apeopleman

Looks similar to mine, but mine is called a Baby ML. (which ML is the guitar dimebag played).

All the customer reviews I have seen for it seem good. If you buy it (like with any guitar) make sure you have it properly set up.

I might just bite on that one. Looks nice, and is on sale half off, and reviews are positive

sladeums

Yeah, with the sharp angle it will slide straight off your leg if you sit down with it.

It could be somewhat of a personal preference, but speaking in general terms I think it is considered "easier" as well as less fatiguing to play sitting down.

I very, very rarely stand while playing ... others are the opposite.
However I think it is far more common that, unless performing, most people play seated.

Enron

Banned
It's way easier to play sitting down. Way, way easier. Especially if you are going to be playing rocksmith, spending time in front of a screen repeating drills and sections over and over and over and over....i imagine you might want to do that sitting down.

rav

You could get a stereo amp for XLR from RCA cable input. quick google

You don't have any other inputs? or other speakers around? (Sorry, just I have a ton of audio equipment too. and while i'm not using studio monitors at home, I have several XLR devices at home.)

rav

I've owned a Bullet before(humbucker version) as my first guitar and I can tell you that it is without a doubt a terrible, useless piece of shit. It's more likely to make you not want to play because the action is so damn high and the sound sucks. The action is definitely the worst part about it. Only buy it if you're so strapped for cash that you can't spend at least 100 more on a better electric.

Yeah the action on my Squier Strat (Affinity) seems pretty high and I can't imagine playing with anything higher than this. I'm thinking about taking it to get worked on.. maybe a belated christmas present for myself :)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You could get a stereo amp for XLR from RCA cable input. quick google

You don't have any other inputs? or other speakers around? (Sorry, just I have a ton of audio equipment too. and while i'm not using studio monitors at home, I have several XLR devices at home.)

Oh, I could totally buy some different connectors and then reconnect everything every time I want to play Rocksmith, and I could buy some sort of input switching device if I didn't want to mess with cables every time, or I could use onboard but have to use headphones whenever I play as well as switch audio playback settings back and forth, but that's fucking stupid. Maybe Ubisoft devs should learn how to program, and then program in some ASIO drivers for their shitty program so that it works for people that have more legitimate audio interfaces than fucking onboard.

Apeopleman

Thank you all again.

I may bite on the dean lightning bolt model. It retails for over 300 USD, but best buy has it for 150, free shipping. Any warnings (besides the sitting down one) before I bite?

One last question: whats the difference between 6 and 7 string? Is 7 rarely ever used?

catabarez

Thank you all again.

I may bite on the dean lightning bolt model. It retails for over 300 USD, but best buy has it for 150, free shipping. Any warnings (besides the sitting down one) before I bite?

One last question: whats the difference between 6 and 7 string? Is 7 rarely ever used?

Six string guitars are the most common guitars and what most bands use :p

Top Bottom