• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

I picked up Rocksmith 2014 a few weeks before Thanksgiving and I'm thoroughly addicted. I haven't touched a bass in twenty years, and even then I did little more than tinker. Since I got the title I've played every single day, have taken a lesson with an instructor to focus on technique, and bought a decent bass to replace my ancient and noisy Peavey Foundation S (I wound up with a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme at Black Friday sale prices and positively adore her!)

Wait, so Rocksmith has a mode for bass guitar as well? This might push me over the edge, as I've been wanting to pick up the bass.

Oh, a tip for those new to guitar: I'd recommend putting flatwound strings on your guitar. I find flatwounds easier to note and they're a bit easier on the fingers. And they have a buttery smooth tone.

Apeopleman

Okay, so I'm going to bite, I need everyones final opinion. It is between this model:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/squier-...bpQ&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-s5GATknPapTRgGYaEBPYvA which appears to be a very good value, coming with a stand, bag, instructional DVD and the guitar. According to several Gaffers, this is an obvious choice over the 88$ model, which a few said is terrible.

Then theres this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-b...05507007&skuId=9445442&st=Dean bolt&cp=1&lp=1 which seems to have a much higher MSRP, but is on sale for 150$. It does not have a bag, stand or bonus stuff. However I am really into its look. I was told it is uncomfortable to sit down with, however.

So lay it on me guys. Which one? Thank you!

Wait, so Rocksmith has a mode for bass guitar as well? This might push me over the edge, as I've been wanting to pick up the bass.

AFAIK, Rocksmith 2012 has a Bass DLC, and Rocksmith 2014 includes it in the main game. So yeah, Rocksmith has had a bass mode for a while (even including a "emulated bass mode" to play with a guitar)

Jinto

Picked up the 360 version of this as a gift for someone for Christmas along with a guitar. She's never really played guitar before, but she's played other instruments. I got her an acoustic-electric guitar, because she really wanted an acoustic one, and I guess those don't work for this game. Anyways, I was searching around a little bit, and I guess some songs don't work so well without an electric guitar? Will that lesson her enjoyment of the game, or impact her learning in any way?

Esqueleto

Banned
Okay, so I'm going to bite, I need everyones final opinion. It is between this model:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/squier-...bpQ&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-s5GATknPapTRgGYaEBPYvA which appears to be a very good value, coming with a stand, bag, instructional DVD and the guitar. According to several Gaffers, this is an obvious choice over the 88$ model, which a few said is terrible.

Then theres this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-b...05507007&skuId=9445442&st=Dean bolt&cp=1&lp=1 which seems to have a much higher MSRP, but is on sale for 150$. It does not have a bag, stand or bonus stuff. However I am really into its look. I was told it is uncomfortable to sit down with, however.

Personally, I'd take the squier. I've tried that dean guitar and like you said, it's not very comfortable sitting down. You should forget about looks when it comes to buying an instrument, especially at this price range. The last guitar I bought for looks had a lot of problems with the build quality.

Then theres this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-b...05507007&skuId=9445442&st=Dean bolt&cp=1&lp=1 ...

Well, I'd definitely go for the Squier over the Dean. It's made in China -- the bottom of the Fender manufacturing totem pole. If you're really serious about learning guitar and you have the extra cash, I'd step up to something like the Fender Stratocaster, which are made in the Mexico factory. I believe the neck is made in America though, or at least the older ones were. This is a good introductory guitar, but it's not a throwaway like the ones you're looking at and you'll enjoy playing it more. I've gigged with a Mexistrat before, they're solid. If you get one of the ones you listed, sure it'll function as a guitar, but if you get hooked on playing you'll want to step up to a better guitar soon...so why not just get a better one to start?

guitarhero said:
AFAIK, Rocksmith 2012 has a Bass DLC, and Rocksmith 2014 includes it in the main game. So yeah, Rocksmith has had a bass mode for a while (even including a "emulated bass mode" to play with a guitar)

Thanks for the info. Might as well pick this up then.

Jinto said:
Picked up the 360 version of this as a gift for someone for Christmas along with a guitar. She's never really played guitar before, but she's played other instruments. I got her an acoustic-electric guitar, because she really wanted an acoustic one, and I guess those don't work for this game. Anyways, I was searching around a little bit, and I guess some songs don't work so well without an electric guitar? Will that lesson her enjoyment of the game, or impact her learning in any way?

Electric guitars are easier to learn on than acoustics because the strings are set closer to the neck than on acoustics. This means that on acoustics you're pressing down harder with your fingers to get a clear note. It also means that it's harder to change notes quickly on acoustics. Since she wants an acoustic you probably made the right call, but just be aware that her fingers will hurt a bit more at first. But I wouldn't worry about the speed issue until she starts trying to play fast guitar solos.

Apeopleman

Well, I'd definitely go for the Squier over the Dean. It's made in China -- the bottom of the Fender manufacturing totem pole. If you're really serious about learning guitar and you have the extra cash, I'd step up to something like the Fender Stratocaster, which are made in the Mexico factory. I believe the neck is made in America though, or at least the older ones were. This is a good introductory guitar, but it's not a throwaway like the ones you're looking at and you'll enjoy playing it more. I've gigged with a Mexistrat before, they're solid. If you get one of the ones you listed, sure it'll function as a guitar, but if you get hooked on playing you'll want to step up to a better guitar soon...so why not just get a better one to start?

500 USD. See the issue for me is if I'm going to enjoy it or not. If I buy that and don't enjoy the hobby, I'll be upset with myself. If I do like it, and cheap out, I'll be upset with the lower end piece.

The Fender Stratocaster looks and by the looks of reviews, functions very well.

Jinto

Electric guitars are easier to learn on than acoustics because the strings are set closer to the neck than on acoustics. This means that on acoustics you're pressing down harder with your fingers to get a clear note. It also means that it's harder to change notes quickly on acoustics. Since she wants an acoustic you probably made the right call, but just be aware that her fingers will hurt a bit more at first. But I wouldn't worry about the speed issue until she starts trying to play fast guitar solos.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I should have researched a little more before I made the purchase. I just searched for what type of guitars worked with this game, and found that acoustic-electrics do work, so I went with that. Looking back, I should have purchased the Rocksmith guitar bundle and let her practice with that until she's good enough to buy a better guitar.

acoustic electrics DO work with the game but more of the songs are geared towards electric guitar on the lead side of the spectrum.

Jinto

acoustic electrics DO work with the game but more of the songs are geared towards electric guitar on the lead side of the spectrum.

Ya, that's why I bought one instead of an acoustic. I just didn't know the other stuff you mentioned until I already bought it. As long as she can still learn and have fun with it, it's all good. :)

I'd love some more classic rock tracks on Rocksmith, but I'm happy with what we've had so far! Muse and Smashing Pumpkins are a great addition.

Maybes some Rage Against the Machine, Metallica & Queen too. Hell... ALL THE MUSICS!

fred

There are now custom DLC songs available for Rocksmith 2014, nearly 500 songs the last I checked. All you need to do is download a dll file and put it in the Rocksmith root directory and buy at least one legit piece of DLC (best choice is Smashing Pumpkins' Cherub Rock). Download the cDLC and put it in the DLC folder and you're good to go.

Someone has also developed a Dynamic Difficulty Creator too.

Just go to Smithy's Anvil forums, register, make 1 post and you'll be able to download custom songs.

sladeums

Not sure if you noticed, but the Dean is only available for store pickup not shipping.
Is it even even in stock around you ?

Might narrow it down for you some.

500 USD. See the issue for me is if I'm going to enjoy it or not. If I buy that and don't enjoy the hobby, I'll be upset with myself. If I do like it, and cheap out, I'll be upset with the lower end piece.

The Fender Stratocaster looks and by the looks of reviews, functions very well.

Yeah, it is much bigger monetary investment, though you should be able to recoup most of your money on the Strat if you decide to sell, versus the Squier whose cost you'd probably just have to eat. And yeah the Strat is a solid guitar. Other people prefer the Fender Telecaster, which has a smoother tone and different neck. In any case, get the Squier if you're worried about it and have fun.

My copy just got delivered Monday. I'm a somewhat experienced guitarist (I'm not any good, I've just been playing off and on for years). I like the game, but I really wish Rocksmith came with (or at least sold separately) a tab book. I'm used to reading tabs off the Internet and playing those, but there doesn't seem to be a way to just look at the sheet music for any of the songs in the game. Does anyone know where to find the sheet music?

Bandito

Neo Member
Quick question lads. Currently waiting for my guitar ps3 bundle to be delivered friday morning. I've read all about the latency issues and i'm just wondering if it is actually that bad through hdmi? Does it depend on tv etc?

Also what cables should I be buying to remove this latency?
Thanks lads, would appreciate any input. Total guitar novice!

Apeopleman

Not sure if you noticed, but the Dean is only available for store pickup not shipping.
Is it even even in stock around you ?

Might narrow it down for you some.

Yes, I see. Something for me to consider.

Yeah, it is much bigger monetary investment, though you should be able to recoup most of your money on the Strat if you decide to sell, versus the Squier whose cost you'd probably just have to eat. And yeah the Strat is a solid guitar. Other people prefer the Fender Telecaster, which has a smoother tone and different neck. In any case, get the Squier if you're worried about it and have fun.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I won't cheap out.

Thoughts on this b.c. Rich mockingbird pro x? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BC-RICH-Pro...k-/201003983432?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eccc56248

sladeums

Quick question lads. Currently waiting for my guitar ps3 bundle to be delivered friday morning. I've read all about the latency issues and i'm just wondering if it is actually that bad through hdmi? Does it depend on tv etc?

Also what cables should I be buying to remove this latency?
Thanks lads, would appreciate any input. Total guitar novice!

HDMI adds enough latency to make it somewhat disorienting and extremely difficult to play.

You just need to use component cables to hookup to your TV and it is all good.

I keep my PS3 hooked up to my TV with both HDMI and component simultaneously.
Then just go through system settings to switch to component when I want to Rocksmith.
Then when you boot the system if it's set on component it will detect HDMI and ask if you want to switch outputs, so it's easy to swap over for other games or Netflix or whatever.

Depending on what model PS3 you have it either came with components or you can get them pretty much anywhere that sells consoles.
These are officials :
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-component-av-cable/64186

Yeah, it is much bigger monetary investment, though you should be able to recoup most of your money on the Strat if you decide to sell, versus the Squier whose cost you'd probably just have to eat.

.... selling the cheap guitar at 50% the cost vs selling the more expensive at 80%, the Squier still comes out ahead on cost.

I'm used to reading tabs off the Internet and playing those, but there doesn't seem to be a way to just look at the sheet music for any of the songs in the game

Same boat here; I got used to it. You can invert the strings so that it looks more like moving tab, but I am already used to the default setting that I found it worse.

Bandito

Neo Member
HDMI adds enough latency to make it somewhat disorienting and extremely difficult to play.

You just need to use component cables to hookup to your TV and it is all good.

I keep my PS3 hooked up to my TV with both HDMI and component simultaneously.
Then just go through system settings to switch to component when I want to Rocksmith.
Then when you boot the system if it's set on component it will detect HDMI and ask if you want to switch outputs, so it's easy to swap over for other games or Netflix or whatever.

Depending on what model PS3 you have it either came with components or you can get them pretty much anywhere that sells consoles.
These are officials :
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-component-av-cable/64186
Thank you! Hopefully I've a component laying around somewhere.

Xyber

I assume the older Rocksmith customs don't work on 2014? Hopefully the 2014 scene will grow quickly. I want more Dream Theater.

Nope, they need to be converted which takes some time. But there's plenty of people doing both new songs and converting their old stuff right now though.

Ehem...

[BILLANDTED]
Excellent! *air guitar*
[/BILLANDTED]

wyld-stallyns.jpg

Xyber

I really wished the developers would make the guitar volume louder on most songs.

Like in this song I recorded earlier. The guitar is barely loud enough to be heard over the music and that's with headphones on, if I play through my speakers it's even harder to hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsLuXO1_AiA

And I don't want to mess with the audio settings, because some songs are just fine (and custom songs are usually quite a bit louder). I wish they would have a standard audio volume for the song and guitar for all their DLC and on-disc songs.

And unless it has been patched, the clean tone in Saviour by Rise Against is insanely loud. I don't get how stuff like that managed to make it through to the full game.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Getting an Epiphone LP 100 and Rocksmith 2014 this weekend. So stoked for this b/c I've always wanted to learn how to play on my own but it always seemed daunting.

Sadly the one thing that bothered me a little with the guitar I picked out was that the knobs are a contrasting color to the ebony body, so I've got some nice black and ivory top hats on the way too.

Also, grabbed this for my brother for Christmas and it seems that the price has just dropped at Wal-Mart and Gamestop (only 2 places I checked). 49.99 w/ cable instead of 79.99

R1CHO

There is an update for the pc version.

Uplay launcher has been integrated on the game, no longer external.

A new option for setting the gain of the cable in-game.

And more stuff.

Meia

And more stuff.

Alright, time to start playing it again. :p

Last I tried I had a hard time deciding on kind of progression being new to the whole thing. Felt kind of like being thrown in the deep end. Tried to do some of the lessons, but they don't seem to go in order as I *think* one of the early ones had a chord on it and I have no idea how those even work yet.

saunderez

Alright, time to start playing it again. :p

Last I tried I had a hard time deciding on kind of progression being new to the whole thing. Felt kind of like being thrown in the deep end. Tried to do some of the lessons, but they don't seem to go in order as I *think* one of the early ones had a chord on it and I have no idea how those even work yet.

What helped me starting out (with Rocksmith 2012 when I first picked up guitar) was just playing every single song on the set list in Learn a Song. Just do each one once, don't be all that concerned about how you're doing. I guarantee by the time you get to the second lap of the setlist you'll have improved greatly. I go back to songs I haven't played in a while and do a lot better purely because of increased familiarity all around. Don't be disheartened if you feel like you're not making progress, just keep practising and you will get better.

Xyber

And more stuff.

It also downloaded a file called "rs1compatibilitydlc" file to the DLC folder I just noticed. So they probably fixed some stuff with old songs too.

Here some stuff mentioned by a beta tester for the patch.
- The delay, or “hang”, after selecting a profile has been eliminated.
- UI overlap issues have been addressed when quickly advancing through Profile selection.
- Mouse input issues caused by using Riff Repeater phrase selection hotkeys have been addressed.
- The Uplay login dialog now supports ctrl+V paste commands for entering the activation key.
- The BACKSPACE key no longer cancels the Uplay login operation.
- Text screen limits have been readjusted for German, Italian, and Japanese languages.
- Addressed a very rare situation in which switching paths would not change the note layout.
- Fixed UI issues caused by using the Xbox 360 Controller and Mouse in conjunction.
- Fixed a random crash when entering Tone Designer after completing initial calibration.
- Removed incorrect “Capo Required” tag from the song “Paint It, Black” in the Learn a Song songs list.
- Fixed an issue where Num Lock prevented tone switching using the numeric (10-Key) keypad.
- Guitar experience selection during profile creation now influences song starting difficulty

Storm360

It also downloaded a file called "rs1compatibilitydlc" file to the DLC folder I just noticed. So they probably fixed some stuff with old songs too.

Here some stuff mentioned by a beta tester for the patch.

I'm a tester, and thats just the list that Ubisoft gave us for the changes, that also may be a future patch, since that one just went into testing a few days ago, the uPlay removal patch was before this one.

sladeums

Would i be correct in assuming its easier to learn with electric rather than acoustic?

Electric is "gentler" on your fingers ... due to strings being higher gauge (thinner) and action (distance from string to fretboard) being lower.

Rocksmith is really more suited for electrics since nearly every song was originally performed on one.
Many tracks have sections that would be very difficult if not impossible to recreate on some acoustics.

You can learn equally on either, though.

methane47

So guys... i accidentally bought Rocksmith for PC instead of PS3.

Question, If I install this Do i have to go through any nonsense Uplay install like Origin?

Xyber

So guys... i accidentally bought Rocksmith for PC instead of PS3.

Question, If I install this Do i have to go through any nonsense Uplay install like Origin?

Latest patch made it so that Uplay is in the game now, so no extra program have to be running when you launch it from Steam.

Got the game. Own only Floyd rose bridges. Loving them standard tuning songs. Fuck this game lol. I so want to tackle that avenged sevenfold song too.

Electric is "gentler" on your fingers ... due to strings being higher gauge (thinner) and action (distance from string to fretboard) being lower.

Rocksmith is really more suited for electrics since nearly every song was originally performed on one.
Many tracks have sections that would be very difficult if not impossible to recreate on some acoustics.

You can learn equally on either, though.

Thank you

I have a PS3 with an optical cable connected directly to my home theater system. Is that a good enough setup for minimal latency, or should I change it?

Enron

Banned
Even though I have this 62 dollar Les Paul Special II, it is not the geetar i wanted and so I sprung for the Les Paul Standard that best buy is SOMEHOW selling @ 288 bucks. Will be here sometime after xmas, am excite.

sladeums

I have a PS3 with an optical cable connected directly to my home theater system. Is that a good enough setup for minimal latency, or should I change it?

Component if possible.

Few tips here :
http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-us/setup/index.aspx
A NOTE ABOUT OPTICAL AUDIO: Optical audio output, while producing a high-quality signal, also increases the risks of producing audio latency.
We do not recommend using an optical output for playing Rocksmith 2014.

NolbertoS

Guys, I'm late to the party to want this. Did Ubisoft state if they'll release an Xbox One or PS4 guitar bundle down the road? Saw that only 2013 bundles are available for now

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guys, I'm late to the party to want this. Did Ubisoft state if they'll release an Xbox One or PS4 guitar bundle down the road? Saw that only 2013 bundles are available for now
I don't think there's been any word on whether or not they'll sell the game on next gen. It's probably not a priority... and even then, I think the new consoles only do HDMI? That's probably going to screw up the game as well.

I don't think there's been any word on whether or not they'll sell the game on next gen. It's probably not a priority... and even then, I think the new consoles only do HDMI? That's probably going to screw up the game as well.

Pretty much this. Also the fact DLC isn't forward compatible.

There is no next-gen version of 2014 planned

Xyber

Is there an easy to follow guide on installing customs songs for Rocksmith 2014?

If you are playing on PC, you download a DLL file that you put in the game directory. Then you put all the custom songs in the dlc folder.

Here's the file. https://db.tt/nBVDjFiA

Taken from this thread.http://forums.smithyanvil.com/viewtopic.php?id=10137

When downloading songs there is usually multiple version, one for each platform. The PC files ends with "_p.psarc", Mac version "_m.psarc".

Top Bottom