• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

fred

The default track list is pretty shitty, far too many 'obscure' American (and British) bands for my liking. Sorry folks. Give me more classic Rock and big name bands, please! Or at least songs that are full on balls to the wall Rock you can play and sing along too.

Eagles
Queen
Led Zep
Motorhead
Metallica

Anything along those lines.

There's a few Queen and Led Zep and a shitload of Metallica available on Smithy's Anvil. Might be a Motorhead song or two as well, can't remember now. Couple of Blondie songs too. AC/DC, Judas Priest, Sex Pistols, The Jam...the list is huge. You'll need to bung a dll file into your Rocksmith root folder for the PC versions or a modded 360 for the 360 versions. Don't think there's a way to play them on the PS3 though.

I find it weird so many people have cable/audio problems with the PC version. I have an Creative X-Fi Titanium HD or something like that and I've never noticed any issues.

Xyber

I find it weird so many people have cable/audio problems with the PC version. I have an Creative X-Fi Titanium HD or something like that and I've never noticed any issues.

It all comes down to how sensitive you are to some audio lag. What bothers me might be totally fine for you.

There's a few Queen and Led Zep and a shitload of Metallica available on Smithy's Anvil. Might be a Motorhead song or two as well, can't remember now. Couple of Blondie songs too. AC/DC, Judas Priest, Sex Pistols, The Jam...the list is huge. You'll need to bung a dll file into your Rocksmith root folder for the PC versions or a modded 360 for the 360 versions. Don't think there's a way to play them on the PS3 though.

Yeah, think I'll give it a go tomorrow (PC). It's nice to see that people seem to get the general idea of what bands would have been good on the default playlist, but I guess copyright/money and all that.

I mean I don't mind Jarvis Cocker, or Jack White, but those songs are a bit pants really.

The default track list is pretty shitty, far too many 'obscure' American (and British) bands for my liking. Sorry folks. Give me more classic Rock and big name bands, please! Or at least songs that are full on balls to the wall Rock you can play and sing along too.

Eagles
Queen
Led Zep
Motorhead
Metallica

Anything along those lines.

yeah who the fuck is this Radiohead and Weezer band anyway?

I'm loving reading these tab arguments and seeing that people either remember BandFuse or don't recognize that it exists. :p

The problem with BandFuse is that tabs are not as easy to "visualize" as Rocksmith charts, which is one big problem for sight reading. That's a problem inherent to tabs: they only show 1:1 movement if you play the guitar holding it upside down, with the strings looking at your chest.

Example. Intro to Death Mental:

sEuhjRi.png

Index finger lowest, then middle finger, then ring finger. Picking goes downwards. Easiest thing to comprehend, even for people who've never played guitar.

In BandFuse, that would look like this:

---------2 (green)
------3 (red)
---4 (yellow)

Unless you know how to read tabs AND know what the coloring system means (it's the GH style: green means index finger, red is middle, yellow is ring and blue is pinky), you're going to be a bit confused.

Animator

All those bands are on customs, but there are Queen songs in the game not to mention a 5 song queen DLC so I am not sure why the hell you would list queen in your "needs more of these" list.

Jeff-DSA

I got the game and guitar bundle for Christmas. I'd love to try it but can't thanks to the moronic DRM. Ubisoft servers are unavailable, so it won't let me play.

I hate modern gaming.

Animator

I got the game and guitar bundle for Christmas. I'd love to try it but can't thanks to the moronic DRM. Ubisoft servers are unavailable, so it won't let me play.

I hate modern gaming.

Is this on PC?

If it is, you can just add the cdkey to steam and never have to deal with uplay again. It still tries to launch uplay in game but you can just ESC out of it and it works fine.

Jeff-DSA

Is this on PC?

If it is, you can just add the cdkey to steam and never have to deal with uplay again. It still tries to launch uplay in game but you can just ESC out of it and it works fine.

Great tip, thanks.

Edit:

Well, I'm in, but I can't buy songs from the store. There are tracks on sale that I want, but I guess I can't get them. Cool game, Ubisoft.

Animator

Great tip, thanks.

Edit:

Well, I'm in, but I can't buy songs from the store. There are tracks on sale that I want, but I guess I can't get them. Cool game, Ubisoft.

You can buy em. You just buy from steam don't use the ingame store.

There is one caveat. You can only buy RS1 DLC if you also own RS1 on steam even though all that DLC is compatible with RS2014 and you don't really need RS1. That is a Steam limitation and have nothing to do with Ubisoft. Good news is RS1 and its DLC are both on sale on Steam right now.

What is the new DLC this week?

No DLC this week.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, I looked on the first page, no answer to this question that I'm sure is asked all the time.

What's a good guitar to start with on this? Is the bundle a good purchase?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got this during the Steam sale. I have an Xbox 360 cable from the first Rocksmith... that'll work, right?

SFenton

The problem with BandFuse is that tabs are not as easy to "visualize" as Rocksmith charts, which is one big problem for sight reading. That's a problem inherent to tabs: they only show 1:1 movement if you play the guitar holding it upside down, with the strings looking at your chest.

I know, I own and play both games frequently. But if you're arguing that you want tab in a game, hey, guess what, that game exists- you, just like the rest of the world, just don't know about it!

WanderingWind

It will work, but it will be harder to play things properly because of the thicker strings.

I wish I knew what that meant. I am fairly sure that you need an amp to play the electric guitar, right? And the acoustic electrics are either or, right?

Xyber

I wish I knew what that meant. I am fairly sure that you need an amp to play the electric guitar, right? And the acoustic electrics are either or, right?

Electric requires an amp to sound like they should, yes. Electric acoustic works like a normal acoustic that you can also plug it in to an amp. What I meant was that that guitar will work fine in the game, but it will be harder to do some stuff. You need to press harder on the acoustic strings for a clean tone than you do on an electric.

WanderingWind

Electric requires an amp to sound like they should, yes. Electric acoustic works like a normal acoustic that you can also plug it in to an amp. What I meant was that that guitar will work fine in the game, but it will be harder to do some stuff. You need to press harder on the acoustic strings for a clean tone than you do on an electric.

I have the finesse of an ape. I basically know this is a death sentence for my aspirations - which is to be able to play 'our song' on my 11th anniversary this September - on an acoustic guitar.

But in your opinion, what is the best place to start for a total newb with no access to guitar lessons outside of the internet? Is that guitar a viable option for a numptie?

Animator

I have the finesse of an ape. I basically know this is a death sentence for my aspirations - which is to be able to play 'our song' on my 11th anniversary this September - on an acoustic guitar.

But in your opinion, what is the best place to start for a total newb with no access to guitar lessons outside of the internet? Is that guitar a viable option for a numptie?

Look acoustics are GREAT. And everyone should own one along with a electric.

That said the vast majority of the songs in this game is played on a electric guitar. There are a lot of songs that go into the 16th > 23th fret range which is impossible to play on a acoustic guitar. Also, you will end up actually injuring yourself if you try to solo on an acoustic.

So no do not get an electric acoustic guitar for this game. Get a decent electric and pick up a $300 acoustic guitar down the line.

What is "our song" by the way?

WanderingWind

Look acoustics are GREAT. And everyone should own one along with a electric.

That said the vast majority of the songs in this game is played on a electric guitar. There are a lot of songs that go into the 16th > 23th fret range which is impossible to play on a acoustic guitar. Also, you will end up actually injuring yourself if you try to solo on an acoustic.

So no do not get an electric acoustic guitar for this game. Get a decent electric and pick up a $300 acoustic guitar down the line.

What is "our song" by the way?

Sweet, thank you for the advice. I'll buy the electric. Our song is um...well...decidedly not rock. Very 80s.

So how shit is this game?

On top of the game "forgetting" some progress like I wrote above, it just deleted my whole fucking save. I felt like throwing that shit of a game away but not after all the money I spent on it... What the hell is wrong with Ubisoft?

I just started it today and went into that Uplay shit to get some bonus track and everything is gone. Fuck you too, Ubisoft.

Xyber

On top of the game "forgetting" some progress like I wrote above, it just deleted my whole fucking save. I felt like throwing that shit of a game away but not after all the money I spent on it... What the hell is wrong with Ubisoft?

I just started it today and went into that Uplay shit to get some bonus track and everything is gone. Fuck you too, Ubisoft.

You must have some bad luck, I haven't had any problems with lost saves or lost progress since they released a patch for that way back.

Animator

What "progress" did you lose? Everything is playable from the get go. You can adjust difficulty to whatever you want in any song from the riff repeater so it is not like you have to grind to unlock or something.

on PS3 or Xbox?

What "progress" did you lose? Everything is playable from the get go. You can adjust difficulty to whatever you want in any song from the riff repeater so it is not like you have to grind to unlock or something.
What progress? Everything? Song progress, missions, lessons, like, you know, everything.

I know I can adjust everything in the riff repeater but that fucking sucks. I didn't keep track of how far I've advanced in every single part of every song. I'd need to manually adjust how good I am in different part of solos, etc. That would take one hell lot of time. Doesn't just quite work like "ramp it up to full difficulty" in songs you haven't nailed.

on PS3 or Xbox?

On Xbox. The game also freezes like every five minutes on a bad day, runs for 5 hours straight on a good day. I thought that had something to do with my Xbox being old but I kinda doubt that now to be honest.

Xyber

I know I can adjust everything in the riff repeater but that fucking sucks. I didn't keep track of how far I've advanced in every single part of every song. I'd need to manually adjust how good I am in different part of solos, etc. That would take one hell lot of time. Doesn't just quite work like "ramp it up to full difficulty" in songs you haven't nailed.

Even though it does suck to loose the progress in a song, you are making it seem like it's the worst thing ever. Just level up the whole song to a level that you feel comfortable and it will level you up or down pretty fast after that depending on how it goes for those individual parts that might be harder/easier.

This is just my opinion, but I think it's better to bump the whole song up to 100% and then practice stuff at a slower speed instead of skipping notes. The finger placement you practice with when you have half of the notes will in many cases not work good at all when you get all notes. So I feel like it's a waste of time to spend hours practicing something I will have no use for when I get better at the song.

Varna

This happened to me a while ago as well. Seems to have been fixed in one of the newer updates though.

Exuro

Just got this for christmas. PLayed it for around 2 hours and have really been enjoying it. Was wondering, what do the paths change? I chose lead and have been going through the lessons and wondered if rhythm had a different set of lessons and it didn't appear to be so. Is it just when playing songs it changes it to a rhythm track?

Also where would I go to learn/practice scales? I've only gotten up to/working on the 101 lessons so maybe its later.

Thanks.

fred

Even though it does suck to loose the progress in a song, you are making it seem like it's the worst thing ever. Just level up the whole song to a level that you feel comfortable and it will level you up or down pretty fast after that depending on how it goes for those individual parts that might be harder/easier.

This is just my opinion, but I think it's better to bump the whole song up to 100% and then practice stuff at a slower speed instead of skipping notes. The finger placement you practice with when you have half of the notes will in many cases not work good at all when you get all notes. So I feel like it's a waste of time to spend hours practicing something I will have no use for when I get better at the song.

Yup, agreed. Much better to have difficulty set to 100% and slow the speed right down.

I've also found it very useful to start Riff Repeater at the very first section to begin with. Then when you have that figured out, add the second section to the list so you end up with 1 and 2. Then when those two are sorted add the third so you play 1, 2 and 3 etc. By the time you get to the end you'll have the majority of the song not only nailed in game but you'll also have no problems playing on your own with just a guitar and amp.

And as you play more songs you'll also find it even easier due to ear training.

WanderingWind

Waiting on my guitar and cable to come in the mail. I heard there are ways to import songs on the PC version. Anybody try it out?

Colby

So I've got 5 hours put into the game. It's weird. I feel like I've improved a ton, but I'm still very, very terrible and no closer to learning a song. I guess I don't know how to use what resources they give us. Like, how do I use the games to my advantage? I can see how the Skull Kid Ninja Side-Scrolling Action game helps with learning where the strings are, but I lose too quickly in the other games to get much out of it. Should I focus on learning one song or sample a little of everything?

Also, I'm not sure I'm pressing down on the strings the right way. Should I be pressing down with the tips of my fingers or with the top third of my fingers? I was originally using the tips, but I have a very painful callous on my first finger, so I switched to the top third, but I don't want to get into bad habits.

Sorry for the jumbled thoughts/questions. I could use some general advice, though.

Also, I'm not sure I'm pressing down on the strings the right way. Should I be pressing down with the tips of my fingers or with the top third of my fingers? I was originally using the tips, but I have a very painful callous on my first finger, so I switched to the top third, but I don't want to get into bad habits.

Sorry for the jumbled thoughts/questions. I could use some general advice, though.

keep using your tips, the callouses are a sign the skin on your fingers is getting tougher. give it a rest for a bit if it is really bad but don't pick up a bad fretting habit.
barre chords will also hurt, just a heads up! ;)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So I've got 5 hours put into the game. It's weird. I feel like I've improved a ton, but I'm still very, very terrible and no closer to learning a song. I guess I don't know how to use what resources they give us. Like, how do I use the games to my advantage? I can see how the Skull Kid Ninja Side-Scrolling Action game helps with learning where the strings are, but I lose too quickly in the other games to get much out of it.

It will come in time. I've been playing Rocksmith for a few months now and I can only just started to move my fingers to frets on the correct strings most of the time. THe biggest thing I have problems with is remember the names of the chords and also switching my fingers to some chords quickly, but as I said first, it will come in time.

I really should start focusing on techniques and chords now as I am feeling a bit burnt out on the track listing. There are only about half a dozen I play religiously. White Zombie, Soundgarden and Iron Maiden are up close to the 30 count with around a 75-80% completion. I also only started playing the guitar for the first time in August.

Thrakier

Yup, agreed. Much better to have difficulty set to 100% and slow the speed right down.

I've also found it very useful to start Riff Repeater at the very first section to begin with. Then when you have that figured out, add the second section to the list so you end up with 1 and 2. Then when those two are sorted add the third so you play 1, 2 and 3 etc. By the time you get to the end you'll have the majority of the song not only nailed in game but you'll also have no problems playing on your own with just a guitar and amp.

And as you play more songs you'll also find it even easier due to ear training.

I think so too. Easy version is a waste of time imo.

Top Bottom