• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Man I'm having to "game" this game a lot. Full disclosure, I've played guitar for 10~ish years on and off. I'm not as good as that makes it sound, but I have been the bassist of a metal band that covered Iron Maiden and Lamb of God.

Obviously this game isn't geared toward me. Nevertheless I have some complaints.

While the game is great fun, years of reading tabs makes me feel like I'm relearning the guitar again. And playing through songs I actually KNOW, seems impossible. Say it ain't so is one of the first Weezer songs I learned I failed this one pretty much instantly. Yes my fingerings are exactly the same. I just haven't gamed it properly. Maybe I'm paying too much attention to the notes. I can play my guitars without looking at the neck.

The game scaling is iffy at best. I first booted up Iron Maiden The Trooper on bass since I've actually covered it live in concert. It took me like 5 playthroughs to get to something that sounds vaguely familiar to what I know to be the song. I ended up playing the actual song without following what's on screen and I passed with 80ish percent accuracy. Good on the game.
On the other hand, I've tried sight reading songs that I don't know and the difficulty scales mid-song. That's great that it scales, but I've never heard these songs before and the game knows it! A 0% learned song shouldn't scale to the hard level first try. Most songs aren't too demanding but a sight read is hard.

I know this game wasn't developed for me so I shouldn't really complain. I was hoping it could teach me some things but in the few hours I've played, it's not looking better. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy this game. It's a ton of fun and will surely scratch my rock band itch. I'm just gonna have to treat it as a game rather than a training tool.

One final thing: don't be afraid to change fingerings. I played through the Minus the Bear song and near the solo there's some funny B string work. I don't know the song as I was sight reading this, but it seemed like a REALLY strange way to play the phrases. It was something on the B string like 7-10-7-12-7-15-7-17.

Dumb. Nobody would realistically play the song at that tempo with those fingerings. It's possible for sure but just really unnecessary. I highly doubt they consulted the songwriters on their preferred fingerings and they likely just transposed notes to the fingerboard.

These are just my first impressions though after maybe 3 hours of gametime. I'm looking forward to diving in deep this weekend

Even though it does suck to loose the progress in a song, you are making it seem like it's the worst thing ever. Just level up the whole song to a level that you feel comfortable and it will level you up or down pretty fast after that depending on how it goes for those individual parts that might be harder/easier.

This is just my opinion, but I think it's better to bump the whole song up to 100% and then practice stuff at a slower speed instead of skipping notes. The finger placement you practice with when you have half of the notes will in many cases not work good at all when you get all notes. So I feel like it's a waste of time to spend hours practicing something I will have no use for when I get better at the song.
Well, I hope you lose all your progress. You might see how much it really sucks then. It really is the worst that can happen with the game.

And come on, I don't suck, I know all that stuff. But sorry, I can't be bothered to learn Maiden's (and similiar band's) solos and fill ins at 100% just now. The finger placement works just fine when you're not at full difficulty, the game shows you when and how to switch position, at least when you're not sucking ass.

One final thing: don't be afraid to change fingerings. I played through the Minus the Bear song and near the solo there's some funny B string work. I don't know the song as I was sight reading this, but it seemed like a REALLY strange way to play the phrases. It was something on the B string like 7-10-7-12-7-15-7-17.

Dumb. Nobody would realistically play the song at that tempo with those fingerings. It's possible for sure but just really unnecessary. I highly doubt they consulted the songwriters on their preferred fingerings and they likely just transposed notes to the fingerboard.

I have only played that song twice I think, pretty sure that was a tapping part and felt totally fine to me, though.

What progress? Everything? Song progress, missions, lessons, like, you know, everything.

They are working on fixing the mastery reset, hopefully by February. As for the crashing, yeah it's terrible and some nights are worse than others (3x in a row). I recommend (if you have XBL Gold) you back up your profile to THE CLOUD or an USB stick so it doesn't get corrupted from a crash.

They are working on fixing the mastery reset, hopefully by February. As for the crashing, yeah it's terrible and some nights are worse than others (3x in a row). I recommend (if you have XBL Gold) you back up your profile to THE CLOUD or an USB stick so it doesn't get corrupted from a crash.

Yeah, copying to an USB stick was the first thing I did after playing like half of the disc songs again last night.

Xyber

Well, I hope you lose all your progress. You might see how much it really sucks then. It really is the worst that can happen with the game.

How nice of you to think that.

But frankly I wouldn't care at all. I level up all my song to 100% the first thing I do when I play them and I have automatic leveling turned off. Would this happen it would just require me to spend 5 seconds before each song to level it up again and everything will be like it was before.

I have only played that song twice I think, pretty sure that was a tapping part and felt totally fine to me, though.
Doh! That makes sense.

Another thing, I haven't gone through any of the tutorials by choice... Does the game register palm mutes and taps separately? I ran into a few slides and those were clearly marked.

Xyber

Doh! That makes sense.

Another thing, I haven't gone through any of the tutorials by choice... Does the game register palm mutes and taps separately? I ran into a few slides and those were clearly marked.

Palm muted notes are marked with "X" on the note. A note you are supposed to tap have a little down arrow on it (but looks different from a regular one showing hammer-ons). I don't know if not playing muted notes counts towards your accuracy or not though. But the first game did have messages saying that you didn't mute the note if you were supposed to, so it can recognize it.

You can see how the higher notes in this part look a little different, showing that you are supposed to tap them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsoZr23FNyg#t=112

Doh! That makes sense.

The game doesn't really register palm mutes as is. It'll show the icon, obviously, but I don't think its sophisticated enough to differentiate between a muted and unmuted note.

Xyber

Some of you should try BandFuse, I hear it's better for people who have experience.

I would give it a go, but they decided not to release on PC. Still think that Rocksmith got a much better way of showing the tabs though.

PaulLFC

keep using your tips, the callouses are a sign the skin on your fingers is getting tougher. give it a rest for a bit if it is really bad but don't pick up a bad fretting habit.
barre chords will also hurt, just a heads up! ;)
Yep. Found some chord guides online yesterday (after 2 days of learning) and immediately tried to play the chords from a song - one of them was the F chord - oh wow, I er... I think it'll take a long time before I can play that properly. I tried for a while, until my wrist felt like it was about to fall off and my fingers weren't in much better shape - and I only managed to get I think 1 or 2 of the 6 strings to play properly.

Weilthain

Banned
Is it pretty much guitar hero but with real guitar? If so I'm in.

I'm not sure the game will teach me anything I don't know already but I loved guitar hero.

It works as advertised?

Exuro

Does anyone else have trouble with hammer ons not registering? I'm doing the second tutorial with double stop hammer ons and 99% of the time it looks like its registered correctly but then at the end it says miss. Really ticking me off as it sounds exactly like the tutorial does. This is for Legato 201.

Xyber

Does anyone else have trouble with hammer ons not registering? I'm doing the second tutorial with double stop hammer ons and 99% of the time it looks like its registered correctly but then at the end it says miss. Really ticking me off as it sounds exactly like the tutorial does. This is for Legato 201.

When actually playing songs, no. But I have had some trouble with stuff in the tutorial because they require way more precision, something that isn't as important when playing the songs.

Xyber

Watevaman

Don't even know if it's allowed to be talked about here, but does the PC version of Rocksmith have any modding scenes for people adding their own songs into the game? I've thought about picking this up but a lack of songs I enjoy would really limit the playability.

DrBo42

I really need to update the 2nd post DLC. Any talented photoshop people that can whip up a nice template to plug info into that looks decent? The text format I have is hard to read and time consuming.

fred

Don't even know if it's allowed to be talked about here, but does the PC version of Rocksmith have any modding scenes for people adding their own songs into the game? I've thought about picking this up but a lack of songs I enjoy would really limit the playability.

Yup, custom DLC has been going on for a while. Just go to the Smithy's Anvil forums, register, make 1 post and you'll get access to the private sub-forums that you can download songs from.

You'll need to buy at least 1 legit DLC song (Smashing Pumpkins' Cherub Rock is favourite), download a dll file and place it in the Rocksmith root folder and put the custom DLC in the 'dlc' folder and you should be good to go.

There's well over 500 songs already, probably over 700 by now, and more are being added every day. Everything from some real rock classics to theme tunes and tunes from video games.

This game has any songs/mode for classical/acoustic fingerstyle ?

Seems like a fun musical game/software, but all I see in youtube videos is electric guitar solos.

Exuro

Is there any way to adjust the timing visual cues? I've got the sound delay reduced all I can and I'm pretty happy with it but the video is still quite a bit ahead. I've turned the lag compensation down to 0.

I can easily play and hit all notes if I go along with the sound, just need a split second delay on the visuals for it to match up perfectly.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It would be nice if record companies and bands worked together and just said "Here is our entire back catalogue. Take what you like and just give us a percentage of sales" instead of all this licensing. I imaging the licensing is risky in that the dlc might not sell bit atleast the other way they only pay for what sells.

double stop hammer ons are pretty accurate for me, but the pull offs never register. i know it's being played right as a second strum registers

hopefully addressed in a patch

Codeblew

Is there any way to adjust the timing visual cues? I've got the sound delay reduced all I can and I'm pretty happy with it but the video is still quite a bit ahead. I've turned the lag compensation down to 0.

I can easily play and hit all notes if I go along with the sound, just need a split second delay on the visuals for it to match up perfectly.

I don't have the game yet, but shouldn't you turn up the lag compensation setting until the video matches the audio?

Man, I really like this game thus far. Been playing all day and literally shat bricks when I found Session Mode. Such a great way to practice different modal scales, especially with the Progressive setting.

Bit frustrating to have a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge, though - can't play any of the slightly detuned songs. Not even You Really Got Me :p

Thrakier

I'm still a noob, only playing for a year or so with more than 30 years...but there is something I don't get at all. I know how to play scales in major and minor and I know the blues pentatonic. I know these scales in 5 different layers across the whole fret board. However not ONE of the scales I know is actually in the game, they all look and sound complety different and the patterns are all different. =( I can't get session mode to work at all....

Exuro

I don't have the game yet, but shouldn't you turn up the lag compensation setting until the video matches the audio?
No because it makes the sound delay even more. I need it to go the other way. At 0 it looks like its perfectly in sync and increasing it makes the visual cue show up before the sound.

I just got to the arpeggios lesson, good god I feel like i need to be a super human to hit the notes at the correct millisecond. The lessons really require perfect accuracy.

Also they need a better way to show them off. Having the chord without any sort of ordering on the notes makes it really hard to do unless you already know what the arpeggio is(which technically you should but I've been playing this a lot like rock band so far).

akira28

So most of the songs are discounted. Or so I saw, the one time the Rocksmith Shop actually opened and worked. Most are half off.

So I play later and the shop only sits there, never loads. Anyone else able to get in? I know most people say just use the Steam DLC shop, but only a third of the songs are present there, and none are showing the 50% discounted til Jan2 Steam prices, nor can I hear the song previews on the Steam Webpage.

This program is great, but fuck...it defintely still has bugs. And I blame UBISoft.

So most of the songs are discounted. Or so I saw, the one time the Rocksmith Shop actually opened and worked. Most are half off.

So I play later and the shop only sits there, never loads. Anyone else able to get in? I know most people say just use the Steam DLC shop, but only a third of the songs are present there, and none are showing the 50% discounted til Jan2 Steam prices, nor can I hear the song previews on the Steam Webpage.

This program is great, but fuck...it defintely still has bugs. And I blame UBISoft.

That's because you are looking at the 2014 DLC, You need to look at the Rocksmith DLC. As well you will need to own Rocksmith to download the discounted DLC. It's $15.00 on Amazon now.

Ristlager

Got this for at christmas and really liking it so far. Never touch a guitar before so I was going in cold turkey. Realised after a day or two that I'd rather start with rythm than lead, and have practised chord changes on an accustic guitar a lot. So I am no comfortable with the whole scale pluss some deviations (f bar is stil slow, but starting to feel comfortable).

So the question is: Are there more songs like Don't look back in anger which uses the most commond chords for most of the song?

ZetaEpyon

Picked this up along with a bass guitar a few days ago, since I've always been a little interested. Really having a lot of fun with it so far.

Is it normal to have my left index and middle fingertips be numb? Not painful, but actually numb. Just wondering if I overdid it a bit in the first couple days...

I ordered this Christmas Day and just got it a few days ago. I've played it twice since then and having never played a guitar before I'm pretty terrible, but I'm having fun.

I also got the guitar off a guy moving for $30 so that was a pretty good deal.

Here's a picture of it I found on ebay.
vgA9Ugz.jpg

It's 3/4 but that hasn't seemed to affect it much, of course I've never played anything else so I can't say for sure.

I really need to get a strap and a stand for it though.

Xyber

Picked this up along with a bass guitar a few days ago, since I've always been a little interested. Really having a lot of fun with it so far.

Is it normal to have my left index and middle fingertips be numb? Not painful, but actually numb. Just wondering if I overdid it a bit in the first couple days...

Yes, totally normal. Your fingers need to adjust so there will be some calluses and the fingers will barely have any sensitivity in them for a while if you keep it up. That's how it was for me at least. The tip of 3 of my fingers were pretty damn hard after my first few weeks, but that kinda went away after maybe 2 months or something. Now a year later the fingers are almost like they used to be, a bit less sensitive but I don't get any calluses anymore.

Can I learn to become really good at guitar with this?

I wanna learn to play like this guy. Bad ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HW0VDHpQD0

This game alone most likely won't get you to that level so you can play that last solo that good. But it will help you out a lot. I've been playing guitar for a bit over a year now with the first game as my main teaching tool together with just finding tabs online. No teacher or anything. I had been playing some on my sisters acoustic for a while before I bought my electric, so I knew the basic chords and had almost learned to jump between different chords fast enough. But other than that I was a complete noob when it came to guitars.

Now a year later I can play stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaOaP4RIw4 That was the second time I've ever played that song. Sure, I mess up quite a lot in the solos but that's because I hadn't practiced them at all. So if you ask me I'd say that Rocksmith can get you quite far if you put in the effort.

Now if only Rocksmith could make me better at making up my own riffs, but I only have my crappy imagination to blame for that. :p

Marc

Hey guys, not been practising lately, combination of Christmas, sickness, work, home life and PS4.

Managed to get My Generation up to 82.2% today (from 70 something) which I am quite happy with considering I got the game in mid-November and never played guitar. My next batch of songs are all between 20-64% though, so seemingly only decent with one song.

I am playing with an acoustic guitar and been using my thumb to strum, I thought the pick I had sucked so ordered a wallet of them with different sizes. Turns out, I just suck with a pick... I mean the difference is night and day. Not being able to 'feel' the string seems impossible to me, maybe I just need to start from scratch though. Is it recommended in the long term to use a pick?

Thrakier

The difficulty sorting is somewhat off isn't it? Heart shaped box seems a lot harder than the SoAD or the Red Fang song which I learned rather quickly.

Katyusha

Can't wait until the DLC comes back. Hope the 9mm Parabellum Bullet songs are included in the first batch. Been waiting on those since they were announced on that Japanese website.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Where is this store at, btw? I just want to see if there is any Counting Crows songs in there. Which I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Top Bottom