• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

milanbaros

Member?
As it stands Andy Murray has the same win percentage at RG as US Open, 80%.

He may not have won the tournament but 5 QFs show Murray to be an exceptional clay court player.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As it stands Andy Murray has the same win percentage at RG as Wibledon, 80%.

He may not have won the tournament but 5 QFs show Murray to be an exceptional clay court player.

his Wimbledon win rate is ~84%. You're thinking of his US Open win rate and Australian Open win rate, which are both ~80%.

He's currently 45-11 at AO [80.4%], 32-8 [80%] at FO, 46-9 at Wimbledon [83.6%], and 40-10 [80%] at US Open.

oti

Banned
I would LOVE to see Gasquet win the French Open. The eternal talent being freed from his curse lol.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I would LOVE to see Gasquet win the French Open. The eternal talent being freed from his curse lol.

...isn't his curse that he doesn't have enough talent? I've never thought of Gasquet as like e.g. Tsonga who has been bitterly unlucky to win a slam in his career and has had a far higher peak than say, Wawrinka or Cilic. Gasquet was always just good enough to be good but never good enough to be best.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Commentator just pointed out Isner is 1-35 in lifetime break points against Murray.

lol

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm an amateur tennis player, and even I think I could match that number.

I know, right? I'm plausibly sure if I had to return 36 Murray service points, he'd double-fault on at least one. I mean, that'd be the only point I'd ever get off him, but still. :p

oti

Banned
Lol Pironkova asking the umpire whether they'll be able to finish the match before it gets too dark. Honey, that depends on you.

szaromir

Banned
Lol Pironkova asking the umpire whether they'll be able to finish the match before it gets too dark. Honey, that depends on you.

She was in full bendover mode, now she needs to wake up tomorrow and prepare for the remaining 3 games, which might be annoying.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray just overtook Djokovic on the international betting markets for outright winner in terms of money placed. He's now 37.86% of all money bets.

Ricker

No they didn't. The tourney had them play twice in the same day.

Since when was that a thing? It shouldn't be allowed unless both teams play twice in the same day.

Damn,well that was weird lol...I checked quickly at Flash scores and saw they won and didnt think of looking down more...my bad.

No they didn't. The tourney had them play twice in the same day.

Since when was that a thing? It shouldn't be allowed unless both teams play twice in the same day.

It was a weird situation. Their match was delayed into today due to rain yesterday. They'd both played singles matches earlier in the day and therefore were scheduled very late for their doubles. So today they had to play two rounds to catch up ahead of their next set of singles matches in R4. The tournament did not want to risk a nightmare scenario where they fell even further behind (e.g. having to play multiple singles and doubles matches in one day if their R4s got knocked into Tuesday with Monday being a wash out). It's a good example of why most elite singles players don't both with doubles too much, even at Slams.

Some thoughts:

- Men's draw has a real post-Federer/Nadal feel to it with Rafa pulling out. Thiem and Goffin are likely contesting the floating SF spot if they can see off unfancied Granollers and Gulbis, while Wawrinka only has to avoid a wild upset to guarantee a semi-final. Djokovic has some old pros to deal with and nobody expects any of them to pose a threat (Agut then Ferrer or Berdych). Somehow we even have another Murray v Gasquet showdown. Their clash in 2008 at Wimbledon where Murray leapt off the court during the third set tie breaker after a desperate chase, getting a raucous ovation before coming back to win in five, is one of my favourite tennis memories. It's hard to believe it was so long ago...

- Tournament has been hurt by losing Tsonga and Monfils as well as the big two. Terrible weather forecasts and strikes haven't helped matters either. Definitely deserves at least one brilliant match before it's over.

- Usually it's the women's draw that has a surprise player getting the run of their lives (see Shelby Rogers, likely earning more than she has in her whole career this week), but the men's draw has Ramos-Vinolas. Saw his match against Raonic this morning - totally deserved his straight sets win and held his nerve after blowing two MPs at the end of the third set. Loved his celebration too. First time he'd ever even been in the second week and now he's in the QFs.

- Muguruza's been ominously good and should blow Rogers off the court in the QFs. Halep, Stosur and Radwanska (assuming no miracle comeback by Pironkova) have to knock lumps out of each other today and tomorrow for the right to play her in the SF too, which won't hurt her chances of a second Slam final. I suspect Serena will be tested before she gets there, after a pretty run of the mill performance against Mladenovic, who had (and wasted) several chances to steal a set.

- I know I'm just about the only person in the world who follows the "Races to London and Singapore", but I do. With 4 of the sitting top 8 out, and Federer skipping the event, Goffin or Thiem could get themselves well inside the top 8 spots with a run to the SFs. Bearing in mind how many ranking points Djokovic/Murray/etc. gobble up, deep runs in Slams for the next group of players can make them very hard to catch. Suarez Navarro should beat Putintseva tomorrow and give herself a comfortable cushion coming out of the clay season.

- Isner v Murray's first set was great to watch. Most enjoyable set of the tournament so far of what I've seen. Murray rescuing the set point where Isner belted down a monster 1st serve then got tight on the forehand was the crucial moment.

He's not skipping them, but he has to qualify for them. He's currently well outside the top 8 spots because he's not played much since the Australian Open. Of course, a deep run in Wimbledon or the US Open would catch him right back up.

oti

Banned
...isn't his curse that he doesn't have enough talent? I've never thought of Gasquet as like e.g. Tsonga who has been bitterly unlucky to win a slam in his career and has had a far higher peak than say, Wawrinka or Cilic. Gasquet was always just good enough to be good but never good enough to be best.

I feel like Gasquet never passed his "oh, he's got talent" phase that Zverev is at right now.

Ricker

I'll be out all day so please, rain all day Pari.

Maudite pluie en merde... ;) might start around 8 A.M.(EST) but the forecast calls for a small break and storms the rest of the day...maybe they can squeeze in the 2 womens match from yesterday.

EDIT: or maybe not lol,everything cancelled for today. :(

Diamond

The only time in years I buy tickets for Roland Garros, and this happens. I was there this morning, and quickly understood I had to leave because there would be no play. It's raining non stop since yesterday evening.

People weren't even allowed in the stadiums, everybody was walking without a goal or sitting where they could. It was a sad sight to behold. At least every ticket can be refunded.

According to weather forecasts it's the same tomorrow. What a disaster.

oti

Banned
Is it possible for the FTT to lose the Grand Slam? Is there such a rule? Not because of the rain, that's not their fault. But their incompetence in building a roof or at least buy some lights mon dieu.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The only time in years I buy tickets for Roland Garros, and this happens. I was there this morning, and quickly understood I had to leave because there would be no play. It's raining non stop since yesterday evening.

People weren't even allowed in the stadiums, everybody was walking without a goal or sitting where they could. It was a sad sight to behold. At least every ticket can be refunded.

According to weather forecasts it's the same tomorrow. What a disaster.

Sucks man :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom