• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
clayray the giant slayer. his legend continues to grow.

Some say he never blinks, and that he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves.

Some say that his breath smells of magnesium, and that he’s scared of bells.

Some say that he once had a vicious knife fight with Anthea Turner, and that he is in no way implicated in the Cash for Honours scandal.

All we know us that he's called the Clayray.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Troicki has collapsed completely at this point, pretty disappointing. Not a shade on the form he had against Gillou.

szaromir

Banned
Watching Murray get pissed is one of the funniest things in all of sports.

Used to be funnier whenever he was grabbing his body parts after every point he lost.

Lesson for Isner - don't go back straight at your opponent on set points. If the opponent was Djokovic and not Clayray I'd be raging so hard :p

oti

Banned
IL PLEUT

again

which I'm totally cool with since I'm going to play tennis right now lol
don't start until I'm back

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I guess that delay really helped out Gasquet

Nishikori has always struggled with Gasquet, their head to head is pretty discouraging. Nishikori doesn't really generate his own pace and relies on taking the ball early on the rise, but Gasquet gives him nothing to work with and great big loopy balls that stop Nishikori moving in.

Murray might have to do the gauntlet of one handed backhand mastery to reach the final..., against players he's has issues with before...

szaromir

Banned
Nishikori has always struggled with Gasquet, their head to head is pretty discouraging. Nishikori doesn't really generate his own pace and relies on taking the ball early on the rise, but Gasquet gives him nothing to work with and great big loopy balls that stop Nishikori moving in.

Gasquet lost both matches against Kei this year, both on clay (Madrid and Rome). I'd not expected such turnaround.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Gasquet lost both matches against Kei this year, both on clay (Madrid and Rome). I'd not expected such turnaround.

They'd never played on clay before, so Gasquet's 6-0 H2H before Madrid and Rome was solely hard and grass courts. I think there's a strong argument to be made that clay is now Nishikori's best surface, so it's proved an evener, but facts of the matter is that Kei remains a Gasquet pigeon - I think Gasquet's only pigeon?

eDIT: Huh, I'm actually wrong, Gasquet has a tonne of weird pigeons. Tomic, Henri Matthieu, Davydenko, Nishikori (not surprising he does well against both Davydenko and Nishikori given how similarly they play), Niemenen, Istomen, Seppi, Simon, Karlovic (!!), Lopez, Starace, Llodra, Dimitrov (0-5 against Gasquet lol), and Sela.

Ricker

Would love to see Gasquet move to the semi's... last time a French won Garros was Yannick Noah in 1983,sacrebleu... ;)

szaromir

Banned
They'd never played on clay before, so Gasquet's 6-0 H2H before Madrid and Rome was solely hard and grass courts. I think there's a strong argument to be made that clay is now Nishikori's best surface, so it's proved an evener, but facts of the matter is that Kei remains a Gasquet pigeon - I think Gasquet's only pigeon?

5-0 against Dimitrov. Probably many other lopsided H2Hs, he has stretches in his career when he only loses to the very best players.

Murray predictably took out Isner. Isner should have won the first set with the set point on his racket, but Murray would have won the next 3 sets anyway.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray predictably took out Isner. Isner should have won the first set with the set point on his racket, but Murray would have won the next 3 sets anyway.

Are you posting from the future? The match isn't over in my timeline!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The commentators said Isner breaks Murray 1 out of every 100 games on average. Murray is up a break in the 3rd so....

I was pulling your leg. :p We all know that our Lord and Saviour Clayray will not lose a match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dear David Mercer, high backhand volleys are NOT easy. The stuff commentators say.

"I can't believe he missed that jumping one-hand sliced backhand down the line, easy shot."

Nice drama free wins from Murray the last 2 rounds - kept his levels pretty high all the way and managed to stop any meltdowns from occurring.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of hope Gasquet wins - Murray-Gasquet matches are always good value. There's something quite nostalgic about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom