• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
bu-bu-but RG 2012 final
the TennisGAF experts lead me to believe that he would have totally won that final if they kept on playing in the rain because the conditions favor him

It's possible for conditions to be generally harmful for a player but good in a specific match up because they damage the other player's game more (see Rafa preferring warm conditions where his topspin will kick up high). A good example is Radwanska winning Singapore against big hitters on a super slow surface (usually she's poor on slow indoors courts, but against Muguruza and Kvitova it let her get everything back and frustrate them). Agut hits much flatter than Rafa, or indeed most good clay courters.

Ricker

TomᚠBerdych

''Hey @AustralianOpen can you send us one roof here to paris?! You have 3down there #fedexmakeithappen #now 🤔🌧🙏🏻✔️"

;)

TomᚠBerdych

''Hey @AustralianOpen can you send us one roof here to paris?! You have 3down there #fedexmakeithappen #now 🤔🌧🙏🏻✔️"

;)

Who knew he had a sense of humour

Brad Scott likes his "joke" (obscure reference where Brad Scott coach of the North Melbourne kangaroos prefers playing on his teams home ground which includes a roof that blocks out the extreme sunshine on sunny days and the rain on rainy days!).

Saty

Screw you Aga. One of her worst losses. I don't know how she managed to pull that off. Agonizing Agneiska squanders another chance to get far into a Slam.

Ricker

Hope Radwanska can come back :/

Nope,Pironkova upsets her...Stosur beat Halep also,I was watching that match on and off and man,both where playing so well,crushing the ball in long rallies...Stosur especially,she was incredible.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nope,Pironkova upsets her...Stosur beat Halep also,I was watching that match on and off and man,both where playing so well,crushing the ball in long rallies...Stosur especially,she was incredible.

Yeah...wanted the opposite for both lol. Somebody hates me.

clemenx

Banned
Well, she randomly seems to peak at Wimbledon! But yeah, she's always had the potential.

We need more grass tournaments ;(

Aga's press conference was funny - the frustration of losing a winnable match mixed with the anger at playing in awful conditions. I think she had a point though - sending players on to play in the rain is wrong. As she said, they were thinking about "other things". I note they took Djokovic and Agut off right after two hours passed so they don't need to pay out another set of refunds for Chatrier.

Goffin v Gulbis was even more of a farce, with the umpire chasing after Gulbis to get him to come back on at one stage. Goffin, for his part, shot off a "you don't even play tennis; what would you know?" remark to the supervisor too. None of this reflects well on RG. Consider that one roof over Chatrier would've likely solved most of the problems - no dodgy conditions, limited backlog, and no refunds for PC either.

Tip of the hat to Pironkova for coming out and fighting with everything she had. Faces Stosur for a place in the SFs, but have to say I see only Muguruza in the final from that half now.

Granollers took a set off Thiem. Would be a huge upset if he came through there.

What's going to come first: A roof over one of the courts at the French Open or the reunification of North and South Korea?

The snobby progressives who live in the FO's district who are blocking lights and a roof on the grounds of environmentalism make me feel like the latter will happen first

John Dunbar

correct about everything
shame agut didn't manage to stay on serve in the third before the delay. might have made things a bit more interesting, and annoy the serb.

IISANDERII

Wow I was watching some of Gasquet's matches and I don't think he's ever played better. He just dismantled Kyrios and Kishinori with an unlimited supply of styling winners, running them hopelessly ragged.
Djokovic is terrible on rainy clay. Rome, this.
Yea Djokovic uses natural gut which is really adversely effected by moisture. I know players who won't even use it on very humid days.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
just realised that radwanska was seeded no. 2 in the tournament. when was the last time she even won something?

edit: i guess she won the tour finals last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom