• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for that is Serena.

The sooner she retires, the sooner women's tennis will flourish.

Serena was a complete mess a few years back and went a year and a half without winning a slam. No women stepped up and won multiple slams during that streak.

If history repeats itself the WTA will be crying itself to sleep over her retirement.

bigfurb

Tennis needs new blood, it's time for people like Serena, Federer, Nadal to just disappear from the tour. It's just embarassing to see them keep playing. Hopefully Djokovic and Murray will retire soon enough too. We already got Sharapova out at least.

If young phenoms spring up and consistently start beating these legends and winning multiple slams, that's great. But if random players luck into facing a legend at the end of a Slam when they're spent and can't put forth the type of championship play they normally do, i don't see how that's great for the game. If Mug goes on to become a great, that's great, but this win is not yet a sign of that

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Tennis needs new blood, it's time for people like Serena, Federer, Nadal to just disappear from the tour. It's just embarassing to see them keep playing. Hopefully Djokovic and Murray will retire soon enough too. We already got Sharapova out at least.

lol

oti

Banned
Lol no.

Serena is way past her prime time and she is not getting any younger.

Tennis needs new stars like Mug, not for a fading star to keep winning until she is 50 yo.

Of course, I'm not saying only Serena should win. But as long as she doesn't have a consistent competitor (Azarenka was that for a short period of time) she'll dominate. But why would anyone want her to stop playing?

so what ya'll saying ia that someone needs to beat serena twice before we can be happy for them. i get it and i'm sad now, as i should be.

zero_suit

Serena was a complete mess a few years back and went a year and a half without winning a slam. No women stepped up and won multiple slams during that streak.

If history repeats itself the WTA will be crying itself to sleep over her retirement.

The WTA has:

Azarenka (injury prone)
Kvitova (too streaky)
Keys (not there yet)
Radwanska (can get overpowered)
Kerber (another one slam wonder)
Halep (most unpredictable of the bunch)

The future doesn't look bright.

The WTA has:

Azarenka (injury prone)
Kvitova (too streaky)
Keys (not there yet)

why would you list Keys and not 2 year younger top 10 Bencic or Muguruza who just won a slam?

Diamond

Cool final, Serena was not at her best, lots of approximation in her placement, but even then she's tough to beat. Great nerves from Muguruza and she managed to respond to Serena's power.

Also, please, you don't randomly get to the final of a slam. It's not your local town tournaments. You can get easier draws, you can get a little bit lucky, but a slam title is not something you get accidentally. The public view is skewed by the fact we have players with 10, 15, 20 slam titles, but even 1 can be the achievement of a lifetime.

LuuKyK

The WTA has:

Azarenka (injury prone)
Kvitova (too streaky)
Keys (not there yet)

lol @ you listing Keys. That girl should play baseball. She is not winning slams anytime soon.

Halep, Bencic and Bouchard have more chances of winning one than her. :lol

mclem

We have been down this road before. Lets not play games.

Until girls start winning MULTIPLE slams then they are worthless as far as building tennis. The last thing we need is another era of 4 new slam winners a year.

"Stepping up" is winning consistently. Different girls lucking into beating an aging Serena once each is degenerate.

I'm guessing people aren't wanting just one new player to come up and dominate the rest, because that's just what we've had before with a different person lifting the trophy at the end. From my POV, multiple slam winners strikes me as desirable, if anything.

zero_suit

lol @ you listing Keys. That girl should play baseball. She is not winning slams anytime soon.

Halep, Bencic and Bouchard have more chances of winning one than her. :lol

Let's not get crazy. That Wimbledon final was probably her best chance.

LuuKyK

Let's not get crazy. That Wimbledon final was probably her best chance.

Thats not crazy considering: Wimbledon, draws falling apart and getting her confidence back. /shrug But yeah outside of that its pretty crazy I agree. lol

Keys can literally ballbash herself out of any tournament even with confidence though. So thinking she has a slam in her is even crazier imo.

bigfurb

Cool final, Serena was not at her best, lots of approximation in her placement, but even then she's tough to beat. Great nerves from Muguruza and she managed to respond to Serena's power.

Also, please, you don't randomly get to the final of a slam. It's not your local town tournaments. You can get easier draws, you can get a little bit lucky, but a slam title is not something you get accidentally. The public view is skewed by the fact we have players with 10, 15, 20 slam titles, but even 1 can be the achievement of a lifetime.

The public view is skewed by the history of the sport. The sport was built on a legacy of champions that maintain years of excellence. I'll get excited about the future of he sport when some of these lot rise to the challenge

I'm guessing people aren't wanting just one new player to come up and dominate the rest, because that's just what we've had before with a different person lifting the trophy at the end. From my POV, multiple slam winners strikes me as desirable, if anything.

Umm. There are 4 slams a year.

You can have multiple players winning multiple slams.

milanbaros

Member?

Well said. A slam is an epic achievement showing incredible talent and endurance. You are a great if you win a slam.

Maybe Serena will hit 22 at Wimbledon *shrug*

I'll be sure to watch the Men's Final tomorrow. Can't decide if I want to see Nole complete the Career Slam or watch the French be bailed out by the British...again :p

Maybe Serena will hit 22 at Wimbledon *shrug*

I'll be sure to watch the Men's Final tomorrow. Can't decide if I want to see Nole complete the Career Slam or watch the French be bailed out by the British...again :p

I think it's her best surface, and may be her last chance to win a slam. If she doesn't win this wimbledon I don't know if I see her winning another slam in her career.

I'd wait till after the US Open before panicking, but I have my doubts if she'll ever play another FO final again. Reckon she wins Wimbledon this year and gets it over with though.

MIMIC

Banned
Just watched the replay on Tennis Channel (9am was too early for me, lol)

Can't believe she lost again. Checking out her wiki page, this marks the first time in her career where she lost back-to-back/consecutive finals.

Anyway, just like the Australian Open final, Serena was....off. WAY off. I guess she has finally entered that point in her career where she can make finals, but isn't necessarily the best person remaining.

Except for all of those DFs, Muguruza played really well. She was right there with Serena, point-for-point. She got tight as expected, but she recovered well.

szaromir

Banned
Man oh man tomorrow is going to be seminal moment in mankind's history as we'll witness Clayray's ascension. Cannot wait.

sam777

Murray can definitley do this and he has played tricky opponents and been tested on his way to the final. Djokovic on the other hand has not really had any challenges, so I think it puts him in a slightly worse position.

mclem

Murray can definitley do this and he has played tricky opponents and been tested on his way to the final. Djokovic on the other hand has not really had any challenges, so I think it puts him in a slightly worse position.

If Murray can play like he did against Stan, I think he's got it. It's Murray, though, so that's a big if.

Wonder who the crowd will take to? Neither player really had the crowd on their side much in the games I saw, but Murray was against Gasquet which would inspire a partisan crowd.

Ricker

Watching the Junior's single right now,because our Canadian kid,Auger-Aliassime is in the final,3rd set going on...

As for the Murray Djokovic match,damn its going to be so close I think....flips a coin,Murray in 5.

tdiwHzo.jpg

Come on Clayray!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom