• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three break points for Murray to go 5-2 up. This could be it.

EDIT - First one saved but not the second. Murray serving for the match.

EDIT 2 - ...and match, Murray! Converts the first of three match points in a generally comfortable four-set victory over the reigning champion.

Clayray was utterly incredible today, neutralising what could've been a bad match up super effectively, and fixing a bad run of matches against the top players.

Excellent. And he's guaranteed a 3rd slam, or finally complete that Runner-Up plate slam.

What a final it'll be, 1 and 2 in the world after all that.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Would be pretty funny if Murray won this, then won the AO and completed the career slam before Djokovic.

On the plus side, both of his slam final wins were against Djokovic. On the negative side, four of his losses were too. Has to keep a positive mindset.

Over-under on sets Murray will win? I say 1.

It depends on the weather, Clay is easily Djokovic's worst surface and he's suffered quite a bit in the heavy air. He's also not been challenged at all this tournament, unlike Andy.

Djokovic is clearly the favourite, but I reckon it could be a corker.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It depends on the weather, Clay is easily Djokovic's worst surface and he's suffered quite a bit in the heavy air. He's also not been challenged at all this tournament, unlike Andy.

Djokovic is clearly the favourite, but I reckon it could be a corker.

I think grass is probably actually Djokovic's worst surface, but Djokovic was rather unfortunate to have been facing Nadal at RG (and then choked the one non-Nadal opportunity he had).

Would be pretty funny if Murray won this, then won the AO and completed the career slam before Djokovic.

On the plus side, both of his slam final wins were against Djokovic. On the negative side, four of his losses were too. Has to keep a positive mindset.
A Golden Slam, no less!

szaromir

Banned
I think grass is probably actually Djokovic's worst surface, but Djokovic was rather unfortunate to have been facing Nadal at RG (and then choked the one non-Nadal opportunity he had).

Djokovic is incredibly lucky that Wimbledon borrowed the surface from WTA Charleston. Otherwise he'd only have his HC slams.

Some thoughts from an elated Murray fan today:

- I'd mark that down as probably the 4th biggest win of Murray's career (the other three are obvious). He took on the defending RG champion, who he'd never beaten on clay, who he'd lost three straight matches to, played a superb match tactically and mentally, and broke his game down. He survived a big setback at the end of the third and came out firing at the start of the 4th. As a result he becomes the 10th man in the Open Era to reach all 4 Slam finals and beats the best challenger to the "Big 4" at his best event. I don't think I've ever seen Murray hit his forehand as well on clay as he did today. Mats Wilander said he was 'shocked' at his level.

- Despite an absolute mess of a tournament, both the men's and women's draws have the favourites from both halves in the final (I don't actually know if Muguruza was the favourite over Halep, but it would've been very close). The last 5 men's slams have been Djokovic/Federer or Djokovic/Murray. Hasn't happened too often on the women's side lately.

- Thiem, for all the hype, and all the evident potential, was easily seen off by Djokovic. Couldn't help but notice there were two of the best all-out power players, on their best surfaces, taking on the #1 and #2, great defenders, on their worst (arguable in Djokovic's case, but Thiem would surely rather face him on clay than grass), and the #1 and #2 came through, forcing and baiting mistakes.

- Serena was poor again, against a spirited Bertens carrying a calf injury, but she got the job done as usual. She'll need to raise her level tomorrow if she's to win her 22nd Slam...

Going to watch the mixed final. Hingis/Paes v Mirza/Dodig.

milanbaros

Member?
No matter what happens on Sunday one of the players is going to seriously bolster their legacy.

Murray would have 3 of the slams, Olympic and Davis cup as captain. Would be amazing if Australian was the only championship Murray didn't win after so many finals.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
three more sets and the prophecy is fulfilled. true believers shall ascend to paradise, while the infidels will have their food turn into clay in their mouths for their sacrilege.

szaromir

Banned
three more sets and the prophecy is fulfilled. true believers shall ascend to paradise, while the infidels will have their food turn into clay in their mouths for their sacrilege.

This is the biggest clash of religions since Spaniards kicked out the Emirate out of Granada. You have the widely prophesied ascension of Clayray on one hand, whereas Djokovic's family and supporters claim he's sent by God.

Leander Paes and Martina Hingis win an enthralling Mixed Doubles final 10-8 on the match tiebreak. Some of the shots they came up with in the big points at the end were sublime, especially Hingis' lob and passing shot. Paes also made a Murray-esque diving forehand return off a 205kmph serve from Dodig, right to the baseline. Nearly 43 years old and tears in his eyes as he wins his 18th Slam title (I'm sure he'll let Federer know when he next sees him). Hingis and Paes now have the full set of Mixed Slams together after winning the other three last year, playing some of the most appealing tennis you'd ever watch.

Watching highlights of the 2012 USO final in preparation. What.A.Match. Physicality was off the charts. I remember watching it at the time and going to bed after the 4th set, thinking Murray had bottled it. Thankfully he had that toilet pep talk and the rest is history.

milanbaros

Member?
Watching highlights of the 2012 USO final in preparation. What.A.Match. Physicality was off the charts. I remember watching it at the time and going to bed after the 4th set, thinking Murray had bottled it. Thankfully he had that toilet pep talk and the rest is history.

Yeo. Murray is one of the most built tennis players in history.

The first set especially was just mind bogglingly good stuff. Like then, I reckon Murray has to win the first set tomorrow or else he might just fade away and the whole thing will be a bit of a damp squib.

Genuinely can't decide on the women's side today, I might actually edge towards Muguruza since Serenas usual toil her way to the final and then absolutely ace it hasn't really been working for her recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom