• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roots |OT| This thread will never call itself Toby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forrest Whitaker is overused

:)

Dude is in the next Star Wars film too. He needs less work. Give it to a less known actor.

imo

Malachi Kirby would have been a much better Black Panther....but oh well.

Love Emayatzy Corinealdi. Her cheek bones are cute as fuck.

Joni

Weird that it is on history channel. I thought they only showed trash. It's in other channels too though.
They had some good stuff like Hatfields & McCoys and Vikings. They're good at semi-historical period-piece fiction.

berzeli

Banned
Blast. I forgot to bump the thread yesterday, but anyways, new episode tonight:
Night Four
George earns his freedom after spending 20 years in England and returns to the Lea farm to find his family was sold to a North Carolina owner in his absence. Later: he reunites with his family and tries to mend relationships and lead them to freedom.

FyreWulff

Slavery wasn't legal in England during the 1830s. Strange oversight.

It was still legal in certain locations, and notably the East Indian Company was still allowed the possession of slaves until 1843, even though Britain was patrolling the Atlantic ocean stopping slave ships at the same time. The Brits were talking out both sides of their mouth.

NYR

Great series, got teary eyed at the end. I can definitely understand why the 70s series was so watched, very moving and jarring.

Production value was incredible as well, can see why it cost $50 million to make.

JABEE

Great series, got teary eyed at the end. I can definitely understand why the 70s series was so watched, very moving and jarring.

Production value was incredible as well, can see why it cost $50 million to make.
Yep. Series was pretty great. The duel scene was impressive.

So many moments. Especially when Alex Haley is walking around greeting his ancestors with pictures of real slaves in the background.

LQX

I have never seen Roots but I have been really impressed with this series. It is really good. Sort of odd but it reminds me of well done 80's and 90's movies like Anne of Green Gables that were set in that time. Not many TV shows like this or movies have given me that vibe.

JABEE

The original Roots was a great production with lots of love and care put into it. Same for this Roots.

If I had one complaint, the History channel butchered the finale with ads. I wish they would have had one sponsor or something buy the final hour.

I thought the duel scene was impressive.

jett

D-Member
I remember watching the original Roots back during my childhood, however I remember little to nothing about it, but this new version was pretty great. It's not as horrific as something like 12 Years a Slave or Amistad's slaveship scene, but still shows the absolute evil that is slavery.

Just finished watching episode 1 and it was outstanding. Is it me, or did it have a Gladiator vibe to it in the way the music, quick flashback edits of his home and family, along with his desire to do anything to get back there. Despite it having a sad ending, you still felt the spirit of a warrior throughout with a glimpse of hope at the end.

Time to start episode 2.

elfinke

Giving this a bump, as my partner and I just finished watching the series as it aired here in Australia very recently. We watched one episode a night over the last few, partly due to their length and partly due to just how burdensome, heavy and emotionally draining the content is to watch - even watching from another continent - it should go without saying, but the topic truly is universal if you have a pulse.

The conflict caused by being both inspired and depressed after each episode - it felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders after each one.

That the events of events of episode 4 are barely two grandparents' lifetimes away - and here we are in 2016 still dealing with many - if not all - of the ripples is flooring. At more than one point, even trying to express how I felt about each episode felt trite, like the English language wasn't up to the task of carrying the emotion.

But overall, a stunning series, with episode three leading the charge, as I thought it was absolutely outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom