• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Rumble 2015 |OT| 30 Men enter. Roman remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrrr

NoRéN;149240132 said:
i hope Rusev beats Cena.

IPu9lxT.gif

NoRéN

:(

Let me hope, dammit!

We all know Rusev will be in the ring, cue the big flag unveil only for it to be a big Orange Cena Towel instead of the Russian flag.

Rapstah

Rusev's character was made to be fed to not even someone like Cena, but actually to Cena himself. This was the only way it was ever going to end. That's more than you can say for Wyatt.

The Rumble has sucked for a long time and has always been disinteresting to me.

Edge, Sheamus, ADR, Cena... it's always been the same old guys or people who were never really totally over.

This Rumble and last year's were big for Bryan. Even if not Bryan this year, there was hope for the enormous new talents to step up.

The roster is so damn good, and this year, the rest of the Rumble match failed to set ANYTHING up for them. Guys like Mizdow and Rose may as well have saved their shit for Smackdown and it'd be the same result. So many unceremonious eliminations ending in a whimper.

It's just incredibly amazing to me how recent this whole crowd protesting has become. There was never this kind of passion back when he had guys like Edge, Sheamus, and ADR winning. Cena hate was always its own thing.

And it all started with Daniel Bryan losing to Sheamus in 18 seconds. That not only got the train rolling, but it involved casual fans who would otherwise lack the motivation to stir shit up for Vince.

Ever since then, everything has blown up. And now with guys like Punk giving insider information, the internet has really come to represent the average WWE fan.

WWE's involvement with Facebook and Twitter, and social media in general have really made the WWE fans' voice an incredible wave of momentum that Vince just doesn't get.

That WWE staff were surprised at how yesterday turned out just shows how much they underestimate the internet being a platform for fans, and they are really just poking a giant bear that gets bigger, because this anger has really spread to casual news websites, and has involved even casual fans who all have access to Facebook and Twitter.

I imagine this is how eventually casual fans get swept up in this and end up siding with the fans over what Vince wants. I have to imagine the hard ons for Bryan and Ziggler also make it difficult for casual fans to accept Reigns as the one and only guy to get behind.

Mahonay

Banned
i dont hate rusev what so ever i just dont like his opponents
WWE is really terrible at setting up feuds as a whole. They almost never make sense and have very little build up. Rusev's storyline has suffered from this severely.

They had something good with the Swagger feud at first, but fucked it up by using the plane in Ukraine being shot down as a way to gain heat. They received a lot of bad press and abandoned that feud immediately.

Ithil

Why do people hate Rusev? I see this as a popular trend, but I'm wondering? Is it his gimmick or how he barely talks and needs to rely on a manager for his mic skills?

I love Rusev. He's awesome, and he was really boring and lame in NXT. That's an example of a rookie improving rapidly.

joeposh

Also, why in the world did WWE think it was a good idea to do this in Philly of all markets? You had to know that ending would not play well in one of their more smark cities (Chicago and NYC being two other obvious contenders).

Kaladin

Also, why in the world did WWE think it was a good idea to do this in Philly of all markets? You had to know that ending would not play well in one of their more smark cities (Chicago and NYC being two other obvious contenders).

At least they had two big Cena cities lined up right after.

It's same WWE that put on the Hornswaggle as Gator vs El Torito match in NYC a few months ago and got a loud "THIS IS STUPID" chant for it.

I used to think this sort of booking was done to spite lifelong fans, but I'm leaning more toward Vince McMahon and his crew being this out of touch.

That WWE staff were surprised at how yesterday turned out just shows how much they underestimate the internet being a platform for fans, and they are really just poking a giant bear that gets bigger, because this anger has really spread to casual news websites, and has involved even casual fans who all have access to Facebook and Twitter.
I've just started following WWE since the last Royal Rumble and I already hate everything about it.

XenoRaven

I used to think Rusev was just going to be a generic big guy. But when he started doing that jumping super kick thing I started liking him. Dude can move for his size. He's also excellent at selling.

NoRéN

I used to think Rusev was just going to be a generic big guy. But when he started doing that jumping super kick thing I started liking him. Dude can move for his size. He's also excellent at selling.

The dude showed up not wearing shoes! that should have been a clear sign that this guy means business!

I love Rusev. He's awesome, and he was really boring and lame in NXT. That's an example of a rookie improving rapidly.

Same here as well. I just don't fully understand why WWE don't properly build Reigns like they did Cena and Orton YEARS ago(they were midcarders for a few years) before giving him this huge push.

Same here as well. I just don't fully understand why WWE don't properly build Reigns like they did Cena and Orton YEARS ago(they were midcarders for a few years) before giving him this huge push.

Because at some point WWE just forgot how to build stars. The last guy they legitimately made was Edge back in 05/06.

Mahonay

Banned
Cena almost beat Kurt Angle in his first match and The Undertaker shook his hand afterwards.

joeposh

WWE's involvement with Facebook and Twitter, and social media in general have really made the WWE fans' voice an incredible wave of momentum that Vince just doesn't get.

Which is sadly hilarious. They trumpet twitter and online content all damn show, but turn around and don't take the chatter seriously.Social media is conversation, not an astroturfing platform, and they can cherry pick tweets all they like, but they're ignoring the actual value of this direct interaction -- to develop a perception of authenticity and responsiveness, improving the product and drawing in more committed fans.

They freak out over trending topics, but don't understand the value of those conversations. It's a really backwards approach to digital.

Striker

They had maintained and well established main eventers then, even on a split roster.

With so many guys retiring or leaving for some reason, they still never went and built new stars in the meantime. So having guys like Angle and Undertaker help put over Cena and Orton, you don't have those types for today's crop.

UberTag

NoRéN;149238881 said:
Why are you trying to rush him? He's just going to get the Daniel Bryan treatment. :(
I think they're waiting with D.Brine to fall apart completely and that's when they'll bump Zayn up to the main roster to fill his exact booking spot.

Ithil

Same reason they had Reigns beat up Rollins in Iowa, Rollins' home state (and of course, Reigns got booed for it), they think Reigns is super over everything for some reason, even though nothing has indicated he's over past even a midcard level.

Lrrr

They had maintained and well established main eventers then, even on a split roster.

With so many guys retiring or leaving for some reason, they still never went and built new stars in the meantime. So having guys like Angle and Undertaker help put over Cena and Orton, you don't have those types for today's crop.

Did Triple H ever truly put over a younger talent on his way out like that? I remember him doing the job to elevate someone (like Batista), but he would always get his victory, and title, back. Did he ever put someone over and let them stay over?

iMax

Same reason they had Reigns beat up Rollins in Iowa, Rollins' home state (and of course, Reigns got booed for it), they think Reigns is super over everything for some reason, even though nothing has indicated he's over past even a midcard level.

It's pretty simple. They had a perfect opportunity to build him during his injury but completely botched it by having him on a "satellite link" every fucking week, as if he was never gone.

Ithil

Yeah, like the moment he walked into the 2014 Rumble I was like "Oh, Rusev, ok" because he was boring as hell in NXT, then suddenly he's busting out that jumping super kick and all these great suplexes and stuff.
It's like a switch went off in his mind when he got called up. Plus he's legit great at selling in matches, better than almost everyone else.

Mahonay

Banned
Did Triple H ever truly put over a younger talent on his way out like that? I remember him doing the job to elevate someone (like Batista), but he would always get his victory, and title, back. Did he ever put someone over and let them stay over?
I mean he did put Bryan over at Mania. Which is ironic now.

Yeah, like the moment he walked into the 2014 Rumble I was like "Oh, Rusev, ok" because he was boring as hell in NXT, then suddenly he's busting out that jumping super kick and all these great suplexes and stuff.
It's like a switch went off in his mind when he got called up. Plus he's legit great at selling in matches, better than almost everyone else.

It's real unfortunate that he is getting fed to Cena.

I am still numb that Wyatt lost clean to Cena twice, only to have him hastily been glued back together by the same morons who broke his momentum.

I genuinely thought Wyatt would have been the turning point. And if not Wyatt, Rusev sure as hell isn't going to be the guy to do it.

Despite this, I am hoping fans legitimately get behind Rusev like they did with Wyatt.

The We Want Rusev chants may have been out of desperation, but Rusev could have totally been a worthwhile opponent for da Beast

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's real unfortunate that he is getting fed to Cena.

I am still numb that Wyatt lost clean to Cena twice, only to have him hastily been glued back together by the same morons who broke his momentum.

Don't jump to conclusions!

Rusev has the US Title. Cena wouldn't be caught dead with it. THERE IS HOPE.

Ithil

Which is sadly hilarious. They trumpet twitter and online content all damn show, but turn around and don't take the chatter seriously.Social media is conversation, not an astroturfing platform, and they can cherry pick tweets all they like, but they're ignoring the actual value of this direct interaction -- to develop a perception of authenticity and responsiveness, improving the product and drawing in more committed fans.

They freak out over trending topics, but don't understand the value of those conversations. It's a really backwards approach to digital.

They basically use the 1998 Russo definition of "internet fans" yet they want to trumpet social media, even though social media is the internet. The internet is mainstream and everyone is online now.

Omega

Banned
Because at some point WWE just forgot how to build stars. The last guy they legitimately made was Edge back in 05/06.

I don't even think they made Edge.

Seems more like luck when you factor in the Matt Hardy feud. Edge would have been a midcarder for life but benefited from real life problems carrying over to professional career.

He was able to become an incredibly dickish heel where Vince would have just kept him as a babyface.

The crowd cheering for the American hating Bulgarian over "their guy" was incredible. I'd say I couldn't believe they pulled this after what happened last year, but I feel this is what you get when you have a writing staff of 20 who know nothing about wrestling being led by senile old men.

They basically use the 1998 Russo definition of "internet fans" yet they want to trumpet social media, even though social media is the internet. The internet is mainstream and everyone is online now.

Vince will never get to have his perfect little audience to feed to anymore.

The casual fans who cheer Cena also cheer Ziggler and Bryan, and they are exposed to the internet and influenced by it.

It's really amazing to see how wrestling was just before Bryan's 18 seconds. Before then, there was a divide between fans, mostly with Cena haters and Cena fans, the internet fans, and the average fans.

But it's not like that anymore. Guys like Bryan unite all fans, and I have to think that booing guys like Reigns and Batista (who casuals loved) will dictate the storylines to Vince, and not the other way around

Sephzilla

I don't even think they made Edge.

Seems more like luck when you factor in the Matt Hardy feud. Edge would have been a midcarder for life but benefited from real life problems carrying over to professional career.

He was able to become an incredibly dickish heel where Vince would have just kept him as a babyface.
Pretty much. Heel Edge pretty much fell into their laps

UberTag

They'll just have Cena cause Rusev to lose the title to some other mid-card jabronie.
Or it'll be a non-title match at Mania and Cena will sqaush Rusev. Mid-card champs lose matches constantly so big whoop there.

Toki767

They are in San-Fran.

Maybe Vince thinks the commie is more over there.

Rusev beats Cena.

They're in San Francisco. The same city that, half a year ago, had Daniel Bryan lead an entire baseball stadium in Yes chants.

Vince has no clue what year he's living in.

I do remember Edge being held back similar to Ziggler now where they never let him break through. Him cashing in on Cena was a big moment for everyone because no one thought it would ever actually happen.

Most of WWE's successes have been given to them.

Ithil

Hah. Orton and Cody had a feud a few years ago, while Cody was IC champ. The entire feud, they just ignored the IC title and all their matches were non-title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom