• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumblefish announced for the PS2

I've been looking foward to playing a home conversion of this game ever sine it was announced for the arcades. Although, news of the game from several loke test have indicated that the game isn't that good, I Still have hope.

http://planetps2.com/mmcafe

The screens below are from the arcade version (for those who don't know what the Rumblefish is:))

rumblefish.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Riskbreaker said:
I've been looking foward to playing a home conversion of this game ever sine it was announced for the arcades. Although, news of the game from several loke test have indicated that the game isn't that good, I Still have hope.

http://planetps2.com/mmcafe

I guess JC is going to be happy. :)

I got to play The Rumblefish when I was in Japan last month, and I can definitely see why it isn't a very popular game. The game certainly LOOKS fantastic, but it plays slow and feels too floaty; it was like playing a 3D fighter circa 1995 that has the appearance of a 2D fighter, if that makes any sense. I'll still pick up the home version though.

lexy

Cool. Should we expect similar announcements regarding Dolphin Blue or any other Atomiswave games soon?

Sho Nuff

Banned
I've played this game -- it is fucking terrible.

It's like one of those shitty Flash-style 2D fighters that the "Insert Credit" fools get all moist over. DON'T BE FOOLED, THIS IS IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM A DECENT FIGHTING GAME.

Lyte Edge

Sho Nuff said:
I've played this game -- it is fucking terrible.

It's like one of those shitty Flash-style 2D fighters that the "Insert Credit" fools get all moist over. DON'T BE FOOLED, THIS IS IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM A DECENT FIGHTING GAME.

The arcade I played it at had people playing old stuff like SFEX2, but NOT this game. That says something.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Lyte Edge said:
I guess JC is going to be happy. :)

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I AM!!!! :) :) :)

They better bring this one over here. Its Dimps/Sammy. Its Atomiswave. So chances might be pretty good.

Lyte Edge

Brandon F said:
But KoF:MI is worth a look yes?

Yes; it's a good first-effort for bringing KOF into a 3D environment. Not as deep as the 2D KOF games, but definitely worth a look. My friends that aren't into KOF are actually enjoying this title a lot right now.

Argyle

Rumblefish = suck-ass

Listen to Sho Nuff, people. This is like "what would happen if you turned Sega CD Earnest Evans into a modern fighting game" and the results aren't pretty...

The sad thing is that despite how much this game sucks, it's one of the better games on the Atomiswave :(

XS+

Banned
Rumblefish is in desperate need of a turbo setting.. talk about molasses-slow animation/gameplay..

Ryu

Some fighters do have speed settings on their home ports. This one could have just that. If it did, would this be a better game?

I'm glad this opens up the possibility that Dolphin Blue will be coming stateside.

Lyte Edge

XS+ said:
Rumblefish is in desperate need of a turbo setting.. talk about molasses-slow animation/gameplay..

Definitely. Turbo might actually make it somewhat good.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I hate when people complain about the speed of fighting games. Its just a pet peeve of mine. Its so much of a pet peeve that when I am in arcades playing MvC2 or another Capcom fighter with a speed setting I will purposely put it on the slowest setting just to piss the other guy off. :D

Since some of you guys think RF might be pretty good if it was faster I will probably end up liking it because to me speed doesn't really matter (unless punches literally take seconds to execute or something ridiculous like that).

Like I said in the other thread, I'm looking forward to this just because its something different (just like Rage of the Dragons which many people bagged on). I'm getting tired of the same old fighters.

Lyte Edge

JC, this game isn't anywhere NEAR as good as you seem to be hoping it is. We seem to be on the same page when it comes to fighting games (I'm a big fan of RoTD and Matrimelee as well), but this game just needs a lot more work, like more moves, a larger cast, faster game play, good game play, etc.

ferricide

i played it in japan and it seemed unexceptional to me as well. however, i only went a few rounds. if nothing else, it doesn't reach out and wow you. =P

maybe there's more to it. if this comes here, i'll check it out again.

Lyte Edge

ferricide said:
i played it in japan and it seemed unexceptional to me as well. however, i only went a few rounds. if nothing else, it doesn't reach out and wow you. =P

maybe there's more to it. if this comes here, i'll check it out again.

Is it just me, or do all the Atomiswave games out right now seem like nothing but "tech demos" testing what the hardware can do? Neo-Geo Battle Colluseum looks like the first "real" game for the system. (Neowave being the "test game" to see how the KOF sprites looks on the AW hardware. :p )

Ferrio

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Is it just me, or do all the Atomiswave games out right now seem like nothing but "tech demos" testing what the hardware can do? Neo-Geo Battle Colluseum looks like the first "real" game for the system. (Neowave being the "test game" to see how the KOF sprites looks on the AW hardware. :p )

GGXX ---

Lyte Edge

XS+ said:
There's a GGXX game on AW? Thought they were all on NAOMI..

Me too.

BTW, I played GG Isuka PS2 4P last weekend, and it was actually pretty fun, but INSANELY chaotic to the point that in some matches, you couldn't even tell what the hell was going on if everyone was on the same side of the screen. o_O Nice effort from Arc Systems, but much work needed.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, I actually played Rumblefish on several occasions while I was in Japan so that I could give it a fair shake, and really, it's just not very good.

Maybe one of the most generic fighting games I've ever seen.

Pachinko

I too played rumble fish, had to do it in an obscure game center in hanijuku street(smile town) in tokyo. Couldnt' find it in the other 3 arcades I went to.

It was way to slow, it does literally take seconds to throw a punch, the best comparisn I can give is if someone made a fighting game that animated like the old adventure title flashback. Plus the fighting system itself is just a really generic mish mash. The sprites do looks good though.....

jarrod

Banned
AtomisWave game list (for those who were wondering)...

-Chicago 1929 (Sammy)
-Demolish Fist (Dimps)
-Dolphin Blue (Sammy)
-Force Five (Sammy)
-Guilty Gear X Ver. 1.5 (Arc System Works)
-Guilty Gear Isuka (Arc System Works)
-Knights Of Valor : The Seven Spirits (IGS)
-Maximum Speed (Sammy)
-Metal Slug 6 (SNK Playmore)
-NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (SNK Playmore)
-Premium Eleven (Dimps)
-Ranger Mission (Sammy)
-Salaried Worker Golden Taro (Sammy)
-Sammy Vs Capcom (Sammy)
-Samurai Spirits AW (SNK Playmore)
-Sports Shooting USA (Sammy)
-Sushi Bar (Sammy)
-The King Of Fighters 2004 (SNK Playmore)
-The King Of Fighters Neowave (SNK Playmore)
-The Rumble Fish (Dimps)

Lyte Edge

How about listing the games that have actually been RELEASED, jarrod? :)

jarrod

Banned
Okay...

-Chicago 1929 (Sammy)
-Demolish Fist (Dimps)
-Dolphin Blue (Sammy)
-Force Five (Sammy)
-Guilty Gear X Ver. 1.5 (Arc System Works)
-Guilty Gear Isuka (Arc System Works)
-Knights Of Valor : The Seven Spirits (IGS)
-Maximum Speed (Sammy)
-Premium Eleven (Dimps)
-Ranger Mission (Sammy)
-Salaried Worker Golden Taro (Sammy)
-Sports Shooting USA (Sammy)
-Sushi Bar (Sammy)
-The King Of Fighters Neowave (SNK Playmore)
-The Rumble Fish (Dimps)

Top Bottom