• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gamepad did not confuse the blue ocean market at all. It was the Wii brand (Wii "U")that confused them.

RE4 Wii Edition was amazing with IR controls for a third person shooter and it really got critical acclaim for it. It was so damn simple too.

I still hope they don't bring it back. Rather they make the NX with new and improved motion controls

I'd be so hyped if Luigis Mansion 3 did happen but hopefully it actually stays to its dark and creepy atmosphere this time and doesn't try to pander to little kids.

I just read the latest rumor.
Well, it seems too good to be true. I'll remain cautious and wait for the reveal which COME ON NINTENDO SPILL THE BEANS ALREADY!!!!

Luigi's Mansion 2 was pretty good but I wish the game had been structured to allow you to explore the full mansion. The mission style lent itself better to short bursts but I was hoping for something a little meatier.

If Luigi's Mansion 3 is a thing then count me in. Launch NX with that, Pikmin 4 and Smash just for shits and giggles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing about the rumor that I want to clarify is the use of GMNX. As far as I know, that's a Sony proprietary API and there's no way Nintendo would be able to use it. If it isn't, could someone please send me a link with more info?

So...how much cheaper can the Wii U Gamepad be if it doesn't have its' current innars?

The screen's the most expensive part, so not much? In fact, what the rumor is describing is almost literally exactly what the GamePad is, internals and all. Hell, according to Digital Foundry's breakdown, they found that the GamePad was essentially capable of this too:

The confirmation of an h.264 encoder built-in to the Wii U (it's believed to be a part of the graphics chip) is similar to elements of the hardware found in both the next-gen Xbox and the PlayStation 4, so there is the slight possibility that cloud functions could be grafted on to the Wii U, especially since Bourdon confirmed that functionality for supporting two Wii U GamePads simultaneously is built into the firmware.

"The GamePad's flash is upgradeable, meaning Nintendo can add to the functionality of the controller over time."
"I don't see any reason why it could not send GamePad video/audio to the internet (both internet and GamePad might be difficult/impossible)," offers Bourdon. "The firmware of the chip handling communication with the GamePad (called DRH) can be upgraded, so this might be in Nintendo's future plans. Only speculation though, we didn't see anything in the firmware that would indicate they are planning to do this."

Kind of agree. It's ok, but underwhelming for me. I didn't care for the structuring at all.
It was in a really weird spit. I didn't like the mission structure either, but then it almost took too long per mission. I vaguely remember "missing" something and having to go back and replay the whole mission. It felt like such a drag, but maybe I'll give it another shot this summer.

Anyway, rereading what 10k posted, it's interesting that he can't confirm whether the screen controller is optional or not. I kinda feel like the screen controller won't be standard. It will be sold separately if you want to bring your console games on the go, and it won't be the focus of the NX. Kinda like the Gameboy Player for the GameCube. I'm not sure how that would affect those rumored ports, though, and I'm pretty bad at reading the market, so I don't know how feasible it would be to even sell a thing like that seperately.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Despite all these rumors about the power of the console, I think I'm going to tell myself to just expect a console that can run games like Mario Kart 8 and XCX at 1080/60 with minimal improvements. I think I'd be pretty happy with that, so anything more will just be icing on top.

It was in a really weird spit. I didn't like the mission structure either, but then it almost took too long per mission. I vaguely remember "missing" something and having to go back and replay the whole mission. It felt like such a drag, but maybe I'll give it another shot this summer.

Anyway, rereading what 10k posted, it's interesting that he can't confirm whether the screen controller is optional or not. I kinda feel like the screen controller won't be standard. It will be sold separately if you want to bring your console games on the go, and it won't be the focus of the NX. Kinda like the Gameboy Player for the GameCube. I'm not sure how that would affect those rumored ports, though, and I'm pretty bad at reading the market, so I don't know how feasible it would be to even sell a thing like that seperately.

In my head, this concept only works if Nintendo markets their handheld as a companion to the home console with that exact functionality, plus the ability to play shared library games without needing WiFI, and then says, "If you have zero interest in playing a few exclusive games and are okay with always playing on WiFi, then you can buy this much cheaper version!" To me, that lines up with what Nintendo was saying about more form factors. It kind of lines up with tablets that only have WiFi vs. having WiFi and 3G. They would have very similar functionalities, but one device would be usable in more places.

KingBroly

Banned
The screen's the most expensive part, so not much? In fact, what the rumor is describing it almost literally exactly what the GamePad is, internals and all. Hell, according to Digital Foundry's breakdown, they found that the GamePad was essentially capable of this too:

That doesn't give me much hope, tbh.

The only Wii U game that's like...necessary to use the Gamepad is Super Mario Maker. Everything else is very...eh. Splatoon's functionality could put on TV if they wanted as well.

Also, the Gamepad's buttons are cheap.as.fuck.

How is that NX GPU is a little more powerful than PS4 and afterwards says is 2xGPU like the rumored PS4K.It has no sense at all.And the GNMX thing, please...

In console generation terms, 2x is a tiny jump.
Nah.You are talking about a litle better PS4 GPU with Polaris 11 that could be 50 watts or about a 2xGPU with Polaris 10 that will be 100 watts+.With this rumor the leaker has covered all the range, he will be right for sure, except in the end Nintendo is going Qualcomm...

i wouldn't mind a screen controller so that i can remote play but i just hope we also get the option of using a standard controller. so anything displayed on the controller screen like inventory/map isn't forced to display on there. if i'm using a standard controller then i should just be able to press a button to go into the inventory/map instead of being locked out.

Kurt

I'm sure that there is something new (like scrolling wheels) nintendo did want to keep things a secret to avoid that their ideas would be stolen. Playing games on distance is something which vita already did? (I know it was bad framerate) Im sure nintendo their will be very smooth like it already is with the wii u pad.

VLQ

0AG4tWY.jpg

nikatapi

I'm really hopeful that NX has some type of off-screen play, i used it a lot with my WiiU, and having map-item management on the controller is just so intuitive and better.

Imagining a new Luigi's Mansion with PS4-like graphics...OMG.

I find these rumors hard to believe, way too much risk for nintendo, 2x the power of ps4 and screen on the controller, sound like a very expensive console, if this fails which imo has a huge chance of happening, I don't see nintendo making consoles anymore.

Rodin

Thanks for sharing 10k, but i choose not to believe it because that console would be too damn expensive and risky (14nm yields). Then hey, if it happens i'll be very pleasantly surprised, but i really doubt it will.

sfried

I find these rumors hard to believe, way too much risk for nintendo, 2x the power of ps4 and screen on the controller, sound like a very expensive console, if this fails which imo has a huge chance of happening, I don't see nintendo making consoles anymore.

Oh boy, ninjablade is back. Incoming "Nintendo is doomed/should just go 3rd party" etc.

Of note, you don't have to be here if you don't believe them. That's why they're rumors. I honestly will wait for the official annoucnement come E3 or whenever, but it'll be fun to compare how these rumors hold up from what the actual device will be.

The_Lump

Banned
Nice post 10K. Thanks for sharing.

Polaris is exciting stuff. Can't wait to see how this pans out.

I really hope the Luigi's Mansion is true too!

But you're usually so positive and reserved in your opinion?

Taker666

A smaller screen on the controller for maps & inventory would be nice (maybe something around the size of the PS4 controller touch panel)....but it should only be done if costs are fairly minimal. They don't want another noose around the consoles neck price wise. By all means have a standalone screen based gamepad as an add-on for off-tv play (or allow the next handheld to do it)...but don't standardise it.

Luigi's Mansion is an interesting rumour....as if the patent for force feedback scroll wheels is correct then I could see that being a title that would make great use of them (essentially they could be used like a
reel on a fishing rod to pull ghosts in).

Peterc

Why are some of you complaing about having a better Gamepad?

10K even said he doesn't know if it's the standard controller. For all we know it's optional. And second the Gamepad has to be close to the Wii U. This can be taken anywhere! I love this idea.

Wasn't there another rumor mentioning maybe the gimmick of the NX would be optional? I don't think Nintendo wants to drive the price up of the NX console.

Knowing this is even looks a vita device, is that so horrible? Otherwise we need to ditch the handheld sector too if nobody likes it

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
One of the things about Nintendo that's always been interesting is you've never tried to make a more powerful console with better graphics, and all the stuff that the Xbox has done. Can you explain a little why you've kind of stuck with that?

So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted. But what we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford. And in addition to that, rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use.

And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.

But really what's most important to us is, how do we create a system that is both unique and affordable so that everyone can afford it and everyone can enjoy it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters

Given this statement, there has to be something that allows NX home to be at 299.99 max (Wii U was at 299.99 already, but that was the basic pack, the largely ignored basic pack; the premium pack was 349.99); I just can't see Nintendo going for real for a 399.99 price, it doesn't fit them and it's contrary to what Miyamoto said less than one year ago.
Maybe they really sell this thing at a loss by trying to recoup with amiibo and software sales(?), or they got a special price from AMD, or no disc-drive helps...or one or both rumours related to hardware are false.

Yeah, I think we've jumped the Shark. As much as I'd like to keep an open mindset, this is all just too much "fanboy wet dreams" territory.

Would it be nice if true, yeah... but again I highly doubt it.

Roo

What a surprise...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reposting since it was at the bottom of last page.

One of the things about Nintendo that's always been interesting is you've never tried to make a more powerful console with better graphics, and all the stuff that the Xbox has done. Can you explain a little why you've kind of stuck with that?

So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted. But what we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford. And in addition to that, rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use.

And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.

But really what's most important to us is, how do we create a system that is both unique and affordable so that everyone can afford it and everyone can enjoy it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters

Given this statement, there has to be something that allows NX home to be at 299.99 max (Wii U was at 299.99 already, but that was the basic pack, the largely ignored basic pack; the premium pack was 349.99); I just can't see Nintendo going for real for a 399.99 price, it doesn't fit them and it's contrary to what Miyamoto said less than one year ago.
Maybe they really sell this thing at a loss by trying to recoup with amiibo and software sales(?), or they got a special price from AMD, or no disc-drive helps...or one or both rumours related to hardware are false.

Proelite

Yeah, I think we've jumped the Shark. As much as I'd like to keep an open mindset, this is all just too much "fanboy wet dreams" territory.

Would it be nice if true, yeah... but again I highly doubt it.

Usually I am tech-savvy enough to smell bullshit when I read it. The April Fool's reddit stuff was mostly bullshit. Not enough gems of details and the details that are there didn't make sense. (12 gigs of ram.)

I couldn't find much contradictory except for the part where some devs are going to use GMNX to help port from PS4 to NX. Considering that NX devkits are guaranteed to be PCs at this point, DX12 or OpenGl would make much more sense, as GMNX is the higher level API specifically targeted for PS4 programming. Even OpenGl makes more sense to me.

Everything checks out for me. Polaris completely makes sense, especially if NX is a 2017 console like I think it is.

Nintendo historically have always debuted new consoles a year before its release, since Gamecube.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yeah. I don't see a 2x power of PS4 console coming from Nintendo. At best it will be on par.

nikatapi

Yeah price seems to be a big issue, i mean having a (rumored) powerful console AND a controller with a screen... Big costs, and Nintendo is not so keen on taking big losses on hardware.

Zalman

I'm basically expecting PS4-ish specs at $299. Nintendo wants to go as cheap as possible. I'm not sure I buy the controller thing, but we'll see.

Peterc

10K's gimmick contradicts Nintendo's most recent statement about the NX:

You choose who to believe.

Correct, but the screen is optional and nice fo have. It's not their surprise, it will be something else. We have to wait and see. I think we will get default a traditional controller with something special we don't know yet.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If the stuff in OP is right, which I am very doubtful about, this sounds like a GameCube 2....

imokwiththis.gif

The gimmick sounds total shit though, remote play has never been a decent experience.

Proelite

Everyone is coming down from their hype high I see.
If this shit don't come out in 2016 Imma flip some tables.

For a console releasing this year, things have being really quiet, in terms of leaks and also official info from Nintendo.

In April of 2013, we've already known the exact specs, online strategies, etc for Xbox One and PS4.

This combined with talk of 14nm adoption, 2x PS4 gpu power, makes me suspect a 2017 launch for NX.

To continue my point earlier on about Nintendo's timings with console reveal and release:
Gamecube was revealed in 2000, released in 2001.
Wii was revealed in 2005, released in 2006.
Wii U was revealed in 2011, released in 2012.

It makes too much sense. Nintendo could shit out a console in 2017 and have it be the cheapest, smallest, coolest, and the most powerful on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom