• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
sony's history in the market is them wanting to look the best. they want the biggest, most cinematic things. they helped make an environment where fmv was a marketable term, allowed for voice acting to expand beyond voice clips in major titles, and started to increase value in what video game consoles were starting with the dvd player in the ps2. sony's never had the weakest platform of their generation or versus their competition. sony's method of revealing their consoles is how they talk about the emotion engine, cell, or 8gb gddr5 as ways to get people excited about power. psp played ps2-like games on the go, and ps vita played ps3-like games on the go. these were supposed to pull handheld gaming out of a sort of 'ghetto' (not my words), as they saw it.

it's possible that microsoft was looking to rebrand everything and have something ready even this year considering what's going on with uwp. sony's ps4k might have been a reaction to that, prompting microsoft to delay the new xbox so that it's a complete refresh. combined with the nx rumored to make the ps4 seem outdated, sony might have wanted to at least stay part of the conversation rather than being relegated to the 'weakest', especially if xbox and nx started looking like a new generation while sony was stuck in the previous one.

i think their hand was forced, a little by their own hubris and a little out of competition.

While I think it goes without saying that Sony is watching the competition, the decision to release a PS4k was more than likely made before even the OG PS4 was released. I don't think it has anything to do with hubris or having your hand forced by the competition. The writing was on the wall a long time ago.

Especially when you consider how long PSVR has been in the works. The main point of PS4K looks to be to bolster the VR experience, which Sony is banking on big time. If Nintendo wasn't releasing NX, this thing would still be coming out.

Plum

Just woke up and read everything I could on the new rumors.

Personally I loved off-TV play and a second screen controller. However, I can see why people didn't and I do hope that it's an optional extra instead of necessary. If, somehow, Nintendo actually got it to work better than the Vita (which never worked that well for me) and anywhere with wi-fi then that would be amazing and I'd for sure fork out the extra cost to buy it.

As for the power, a Polaris-tier GPU with the power they're suggesting would be great. Nintendo needs to be at least on par with the other consoles in the market even if they have to sell it at a loss. They also need a true AAA graphics showcase, whether that be with Metroid, Zelda or LM3 I don't know, but we need a game that will really make us excited for what a powerful Nintendo console can do. I'm thinking Pikmin 4 might be the one to do this.

What we shouldn't do, however, is take any of this as complete gospel. 10k himself put them in a tier system because he knows this. These rumors, if they turn out to be true, would be great, but we shouldn't think they're absolutely true. For the NX, PS4K and whatever Microsoft's doing we should wait for a reveal to judge them.

Jacobs

Isn't this polaris gpu relatively new? I doubt Nintendo could implement that in a console releasing this year. But I don't know anything, maybe someone can explain it to me.

Plum

Isn't this polaris gpu relatively new? I doubt Nintendo could implement that in a console releasing this year. But I don't know anything, maybe someone can explain it to me.

Polaris & Pascal (for Nvidia) aren't specific GPUs, they're the next generation GPU architecture that they will build all of their new specific GPUs around. The consumer-grade Polaris GPUs are likely coming out sometime this year, and they're almost definitely in the final stages of development right now.

If the NX does have a Polaris GPU then it's very likely going to be a collaboration between AMD and Nintendo to make a specific GPU exclusively for the NX console (since consoles never use consumer-grade GPUs people can buy from a store, only equivalents). If this is the case then it's highly likely that Nintendo contacted AMD sometime last year since Polaris would have been in development by then.

Terrell

It appears the crazy started happening after I went off to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Seems that was the right choice, in my view.

There's no reason for them to buck that trend now b/c that hasn't been the biggest reason for their contraction in the console market, not even.

I'd say only 11 million consoles by the end of the Wii U's run is a fairly substantial reason for Nintendo to buck design trends of the past.

You didn't address the point about how many viable consoles are needed to saturate the enthusiast market. First though, I assume, when we talk of "third parties", we're talking the Western, "core" ones that are basically non existent on Wii U. I realise the some Japanese and some casual games (Just dance) etc will be there.

Considering Xbox One is a non-factor basically everywhere that isn't North America, and isn't even doing so well there, I'd say there's room for one more when one console dominates 2 out of the 3 market regions almost completely.

Now that's out of the way, do they really need another console to sell to? How many Nintendo console owners will be ONLY Nintendo console owners and want said third party games? I would hazard a guess is't very, very few. Therefore the market is tiny for additional sales over and above PS4 and XBO.

Considering how even selling on all available platforms, 3rd-parties aren't recovering their development and marketing budgets on a fair number of titles? Yeah, they need as many platforms as they can. It's up to Nintendo to keep their platform viable, and that's not going to be up for debate until the thing actually launches.

Also, multi-platform games have eroded the notion of multi-console ownership and people weren't buying 3rd-party games for very specific identifiable reasons that aren't inherent to Nintendo as a company and therefore can be shaken off.

10K's gimmick contradicts Nintendo's most recent statement about the NX:

You choose who to believe.

I think the part that we still need to know is this: is the 2nd-screen really the selling point, or something they chose to add because they could at a better cost than they could with Wii U?

10k's sources may be saying it's THE gimmick because it's the only thing they have seen to this point that differentiates NX from other devices.

So, while 10k may be able to elaborate on this and state otherwise, his sources may actually be conflating the presence of this feature as being THE feature that they market it for.

So people talking about Nintendo "doubling down" seems premature. It's a thing they added because it worked in a number of examples, allows the handheld that's coming to be 2-screen without breaking compatibility between them and not much more beyond that.

Jacobs

Polaris & Pascal (for Nvidia) aren't specific GPUs, they're the next generation GPU architecture that they will build all of their new specific GPUs around. The consumer-grade Polaris GPUs are likely coming out sometime this year, and they're almost definitely in the final stages of development right now.

If the NX does have a Polaris GPU then it's very likely going to be a collaboration between AMD and Nintendo to make a specific GPU exclusively for the NX console (since consoles never use consumer-grade GPUs people can buy from a store, only equivalents). If this is the case then it's highly likely that Nintendo contacted AMD sometime last year since Polaris would have been in development by then.

Aha that makes sense. It does however, not sound very Nintendo like to have something that new implemented. But I would love to see them do it.

AzaK

See, you're the kind of guy they will never ever reconquer. You just want a PS4 and Nintendo games are bonuses.

No, my top games are Nintendo games. If I put my favourite franchises of all time in a list, Metroid, Zelda and 3D Mario sit at the top. I want a Nintendo console so I can play those amazing games, however I don't JUST want to play those games. And it's not like I want to play every single Western game either. Gimme Rocket League, Minecraft (Non gimped version like Wii U) and a few others and I'm happy.

I'm the exact demographic Nintendo needs. Their loyal consumers are about 10-15 million now. That's fuck all. The hardcore PS and MS dudes won't ever get a "kiddy" Nintendo console but the people like me who like all manner of games will if it can give me the breadth of experience

We went from under X box one to between Xbox one and PS4, then around PS4 followed by above PS4 and now we're talking about meeting the hypotetical PS4K specs.

Sorry. I was reading the WUSTs back in the days.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
imo, just a PS4 level would be great

DrWong

I think the part that we still need to know is this: is the 2nd-screen really the selling point, or something they chose to add because they could at a better cost than they could with Wii U?

10k's sources may be saying it's THE gimmick because it's the only thing they have seen to this point that differentiates NX from other devices.

So, while 10k may be able to elaborate on this and state otherwise, his sources may actually be conflating the presence of this feature as being THE feature that they market it for.

So people talking about Nintendo "doubling down" seems premature. It's a thing they added because it worked in a number of examples, allows the handheld that's coming to be 2-screen without breaking compatibility between them and not much more beyond that.
Thinking the same.

ASIS

Question to all these insiders. Is it possible to use multiple "screen" controllers or is it like the Wii U where you can only use one?

Anyone seriously expecting a GPU architecture that releases this year to be in a console must be patently insane. Come on.

If anything expect 2014 maybe 2015 hardware, which would already be ahead of what's in the PS4/Xbone to begin with.

It doesn't make a lick of sense.

The_Lump

Banned
Logically Polaris makes sense.

I think about a 2014/15 Nintendo approaching AMD to discuss their next project. If I'm AMD I sure as shit am going to try and push technology that is only 2 years away from release and that is planned to form the basis of my GPU business for the next half a decade*. Even if NX doesn't sell amazingly well, it's a sure fire multi million unit contract to kick off the road map of Polaris. Win-Win.

From Nintendo's perspective; I'm looking for the most efficient way to compete without busting the silicon budget and potentially for the most power efficient solution to allow direct scale between handheld/console. I'm also trying not to produce a device which will become irrelevant within a couple years of it's launch when Sony and MS are likely to start promoting their next console. Assuming the price is right, why wouldn't I take this easy solution that AMD is offering?

Of course, you could look at the above and think "That's too obvious, so of course Nintendo wouldn't do that" but I'm leaning the other way. I've been speculating Polaris and 14nmFF from the start,and now I'm quietly confident.

*or whatever AMDs road map says.

Anyone seriously expecting a GPU architecture that releases this year to be in a console must be patently insane. Come on.

If anything expect 2014 maybe 2015 hardware, which would already be ahead of what's in the PS4/Xbone to begin with.

It doesn't make a lick of sense.

It's releasing to consumers (ie you and me) this year. That puts us perfectly within the realms of possibility for it (or certain features of it, as per 10K's rumour) to be part of a contracted piece of hardware this year too.

Painguy

I don't see how they will manage to make this thing like $299. Has gamepad, between PS4 and PS4K, using polaris which has narly yields. They'd have to take a pretty chunky loss yo. This thing def needs to be $299 or less.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We went from under X box one to between Xbox one and PS4, then around PS4 followed by above PS4 and now we're talking about meeting the hypotetical PS4K specs.

Sorry. I was reading the WUSTs back in the days.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
imo, just a PS4 level would be great

It's not really hypothetical PS4 specs, it's PS4 specs at top end, so some reasoable assumption be somewhere between PS4 and PS4k which what was orginally implied. It's more a question of how close. And honestly they're both rumoured to be coming out the sam time so it's not that strange for them to have comparable specs outside of intent.

I don't see how they will manage to make this thing like $299. Has gamepad, between PS4 and PS4K, using polaris which has narly yields. They'd have to take a pretty chunky loss yo. This thing def needs to be $299 or less.

Gamepad being an optional separate sku is the obvious smart way to do it as it's functionality isn't system selling in the slightest.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't mean to discredit 10k, but I just don't see why I should believe these rumours more so than those fake leaked controller images.

Whilst I can understand the excitement of this hype train, this is all starting to sound very Jay from Inbetweeners.

I am not saying that these rumors are true but the difference is that 10k went through the same verification process here on GAF with mods that Trev did before leaking pokemon rainbow and other stuffs while the fake controllers leaks were from Reddit, never verified by GAF mods and lead even to some bans

Logically Polaris makes sense.

I think about a 2014/15 Nintendo approaching AMD to discuss their next project. If I'm AMD I sure as shit am going to try and push technology that is only 2 years away from release and that is planned to form the basis of my GPU business for the next half a decade*. Even if NX doesn't sell amazingly well, it's a sure fire multi million unit contract to kick off the road map of Polaris. Win-Win.

From Nintendo's perspective; I'm looking for the most efficient way to compete without busting the silicon budget and potentially for the most power efficient solution to allow direct scale between handheld/console. I'm also trying not to produce a device which will become irrelevant within a couple years of it's launch when Sony and MS are likely to start promoting their next console. Assuming the price is right, why wouldn't I take this easy solution that AMD is offering?

Of course, you could look at the above and think "That's too obvious, so of course Nintendo wouldn't do that" but I'm leaning the other way. I've been speculating Polaris and 14nmFF from the start,and now I'm quietly confident.

*or whatever AMDs road map says.

It's releasing to consumers (ie you and me) this year. That puts us perfectly within the realms of possibility for it (or certain features of it, as per 10K's rumour) to be part of a contracted piece of hardware this year too.

Too many hypotheticals to be honest, when they could just as easily and more likely use 2014 2015 tech that is proven to be reliable and powerful enough for a console.

It simply would be too much of a risk.

AzaK

It appears the crazy started happening after I went off to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Seems that was the right choice, in my view.

I'd say only 11 million consoles by the end of the Wii U's run is a fairly substantial reason for Nintendo to buck design trends of the past.

Considering Xbox One is a non-factor basically everywhere that isn't North America, and isn't even doing so well there, I'd say there's room for one more when one console dominates 2 out of the 3 market regions almost completely.

Considering how even selling on all available platforms, 3rd-parties aren't recovering their development and marketing budgets on a fair number of titles? Yeah, they need as many platforms as they can. It's up to Nintendo to keep their platform viable, and that's not going to be up for debate until the thing actually launches.

Also, multi-platform games have eroded the notion of multi-console ownership and people weren't buying 3rd-party games for very specific identifiable reasons that aren't inherent to Nintendo as a company and therefore can be shaken off.

I don't think 20,000 extra sales on a Nintendo console is make or break. At the moment the Wii U and Nintendo are basically sunk as far as developer's attitude towards them. Sure there are 1st party and some choice third party Japanese titles but the rest are non existent. Some titles sold in the 10's of thousands. That's appalling.

Why would a developer risk putting a "core" title on a Nintendo console anymore? Seriously? It costs them about a mill to do so, and they might sell 10k copies. Sure, things can change and Nintendo can pay to have those games etc etc, but really I think Nintendo are basically the bottom of the heap when it comes to places to put games. Maybe just above ouya.

ec0ec0

the thread tittle doesn't reflect that there's new info.

A mod should absolutely add "updated" or something to the tittle.

just above my post :p

Wait..

10k updated the thread?!

Did he put the new info in the OP?

people can't tell unless they enter the thread.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Now if you'll excuse me, two well dressed Japanese men are at my door.

I find this the most believable part of this all.

Because everything seems a bundle of speculations and rumours already posted around the net, including here. It's a nice summary round-up though.

And most of all because this sounds like a console too expensive for Nintendo.

un1que

If all these rumours are true I really hope that the wii-u games aren't just ports. I hope they utilise the extra power. Zelda looks amazing now, imagine how good it could be if they use the extra (rumoured) power! Wow.

Hope they add new stuff to smash bros as well. All the dlc, extra characters, backgrounds and a stable online.

Peterc

I find this the most believable part of this all.

Because everything seems a bundle of speculations and rumours already posted around the net, including here. It's a nice summary round-up though.

And most of all because this sounds like a console too expensive for Nintendo.

I hate people saying this "to expensive".
First, Nintendo almost got the most powerful console out there. Only wii and wiiu did not deliver the power of current gen.

Console shouldn't be cheap. It just need to be price worthy. Vr and ps4/k are also expensive.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And yeah, this really sounds like a wishlist from the old 10k (the one before becoming an insider).

I hate people saying this "to expensive".
First, Nintendo almost got the most powerful console out there. Only wii and wiiu did not deliver the power of current gen.

Console shouldn't be cheap. It just need to be price worthy. Vr and ps4/k are also expensive.

What price did Gamecube have at launch?

Top VR is a niche market. Mass market VR is $99. Sony and Microsoft (and 3rd party pubishers) has worked for so many years to create the premium image that allowed for the PS4 and Xbone launch prices. That's why bullshots exists, that's why Watch Dogs and The Divison E3 trailers exists. The whole marketing that creates the illusion of premium. Nintendo needs a lot of time and money spent to construct themselves the image that will allow them to sell an expensive console.

Loris146

What titles?

cinqpesetas

Neo Member
With the latest rumors brought by 10k, there is something that i don't get
If the Nx GPU is based on polaris and is 2x the power of PS4 GPU and as long as "Nintendo hates their bottlenecks", how the Nx CPU could only be 15% to 30% more powefull than the 8 jaguar core of PS4 ?
Shouldn't the CPU be also twice as powerfull as PS4 ?

I am not saying that these rumors are true but the difference is that 10k went through the same verification process here on GAF with mods that Trev did before leaking pokemon rainbow and other stuffs while the fake controllers leaks were from Reddit, never verified by GAF mods and lead even to some bans

I don't think that's true from what Nirolak said.

Holy shit at the latest info

Guess they really dont want to give up on a controller with a screen

I suppose its fine but they REALLY need to get all the costs down. I imagine they only considered this idea again because they made some deals to do just that

Still with all the stuff combined its looking like a very expensive machine

aeroslash

I just don't understand it.

If NX gets outpowered again from the start up, why bother?
I understand it will have other things and the first party games but with those rumors i just don't see why i should even look at buying it.

I understand it will have other things and the first party games but with those rumors i just don't see why i should even look at buying it.

The rumor is pointing to power parity

Or at least close enough to be in line with the rest

Eolz

I don't believe the new tier 1 part at all (whether it's 14nm or ffviir being an exclusive, both for various reasons), but the rest is not that surprising.
Enhancing the WiiU streaming tech makes sense, Luigi Mansion 2 was a huge success, and from previous rumors, big third parties have few reasons to not be there at launch.

geordiemp

What if Nintendo got a big volume of chips to reduce the overall price?

How ? People keep going on about AMD being needy, but they are just the designers / license tech.

All the console manufacturers will be lining up with everybody else under the sun for Samsung 14 nm and TSMC 16 nm. all offering them 15 million units per year.

I think we will get 3 new 14 nm consoles, but lets be realistic here, its cutting edge fab, we are not going to get 2 x Ps4 without a 399 - 499 price tag from anybody.

It is not logical from a business perspective unless 2017 gen is heavily subsidised consoles again and loss leaders.

All of this 2 x Ps4 and expecting 299 is not realistic and just sounds like a leg pull, the only people who could do that and not care for taking the loss is Microsoft.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Well obviously when Nintendo were designing this thing they weren't expecting a PS4k (TBF most people weren't). But really this whole console sounds like Nintendo's first attempt to get meaningful third party support. It's not supposed to sell gangbusters especially after the failure that was the Wii u, but more of course correction.

omonimo

Banned
I woke up, and had to go 12 pages backwards to read 10k's new post. The hype is real. The thirst is real.

I really wish NX to be close to PS4K, this way disaster is less likely to happen. I hope that single source is right.

And best of all, it looks like the 3rd party support will finally happen. This time there will be many games. I hope this does not happen only at launch windows, like in Wii U.
How? Ps4k it's supposed to be a deluxe machine (in case it really exists). It could cost 499 bucks. Realistically talking, how Nintendo can put in the market such hardware at lower price? I understood the hype, but I don't think Nintendo has a powerful machine how main target. We can come back to the earth for a second? We have passed to slightly more powerful of xbone to like ps4, slightly more powerful of the ps4, more powerful of the ps4, new Polaris console based and so on. Why people can't be rational and think to what to expect realistically?

gogogow

How ? People keep going on about AMD being needy, but they are just the designers / license tech.

All the console manufacturers will be lining up with everybody else under the sun for Samsung 14 nm and TSMC 16 nm. all offering them 15 million units per year.

I think we will get 3 new 14 nm consoles, but lets be realistic here, its cutting edge fab, we are not going to get 2 x Ps4 without a 399 - 499 price tag from anybody.

It is not logical from a business perspective unless 2017 gen is heavily subsidised consoles again and loss leaders.

All of this 2 x Ps4 and expecting 299 is not realistic and just sounds like a leg pull, the only people who could do that and not care for taking the loss is Microsoft.

Where'd you get that from? Obviously they care, otherwise they wouldn't have released an underpowered console, so that they could include the kinect.

nikatapi

While i find it surprising to see Nintendo using cutting-edge technology (besides the streaming stuff), it does fall in line with the previous rumor for "industry leading" chips, so maybe it's not that far from the truth.

WiiU ports just make so much sense, these games are great and need a new audience, even though i'm sure most of the early adopters will probably have played them on their WiiU.

I really don't know what to think.

It used to be pretty easy to read Nintendo and what they'll do next, but pretty much all bets are off regarding NX.

I'd love a small efficient and decently powerful Nintendo system that gets most bigger-ish japanese games. I really think they might be onto something if they manage to leverage their portable stronghold in japan and get some of the Western AAA support back.

Cho choo, motherfuckers !

Eolz

It used to be pretty easy to read Nintendo and what they'll do next, but pretty much all bets are off regarding NX.

I'd love a small efficient and decently powerful Nintendo system that gets most bigger-ish japanese games. I really think they might be onto something if they manage to leverage their portable stronghold in japan and get some of the Western AAA support back.

What? It has never been easy to predict Nintendo on the hardware side since a good 15 years.

Donnie

With the latest rumors brought by 10k, there is something that i don't get
If the Nx GPU is based on polaris and is 2x the power of PS4 GPU and as long as "Nintendo hates their bottlenecks", how the Nx CPU could only be 15% to 30% more powefull than the 8 jaguar core of PS4 ?
Shouldn't the CPU be also twice as powerfull as PS4 ?

The source says the GPU is marginally better but theoretically could be twice as powerful. I think the only way that makes any sense is this. The GPU is around 20-30% more powerful than PS4's GPU in raw numbers. But theoretically based on efficiency improvements assumed for Polaris it could perform to a level that's closer to twice PS4's GPU.

So it could be that they've gone for 20-30% raw performance improvement on both CPU and GPU. But a newer architecture could make either or even both bigger improvements in real terms.

Just my speculation of course.

AzaK

This is NOT what I wan't but what I expect.

What? It has never been easy to predict Nintendo on the hardware side since a good 15 years.

Thats pretty true, I was mostly refering to software (it's been quite the predictable 5 years, which is not necessarily a bad thing, mind you).

It's exciting to say the least.

v1oz

For a console releasing this year, things have being really quiet, in terms of leaks and also official info from Nintendo.

In April of 2013, we've already known the exact specs, online strategies, etc for Xbox One and PS4.

This combined with talk of 14nm adoption, 2x PS4 gpu power, makes me suspect a 2017 launch for NX.

To continue my point earlier on about Nintendo's timings with console reveal and release:
Gamecube was revealed in 2000, released in 2001.
Wii was revealed in 2005, released in 2006.
Wii U was revealed in 2011, released in 2012.

It makes too much sense. Nintendo could shit out a console in 2017 and have it be the cheapest, smallest, coolest, and the most powerful on the market.

You can argue Nintendo has a new CEO who is trying to set a new precedent and cement his own legacy. Apparently he was very critical of the Wii U, which he thought was too safe and wants to take Nintendo in a new direction. And also historically, if we exclude the Wii U (which had its own unique set of problems), coming late to market has never helped Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom