• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Giant

Banned
It was pretty obvious that the rumoured NLG Wii U game from last E3 was gonna be moved over to the NX, along with Retro's Wii U game.

Josue

Assuming this is true, Nintendo must really be convinced that a secondary screen is the future for consoles for them to try it again.

I'd rather move away from it and instead innovate the controller in a different way but we'll see what happens.

Just give us some fuckin info already 😐

Malus

For a console releasing this year, things have being really quiet, in terms of leaks and also official info from Nintendo.

In April of 2013, we've already known the exact specs, online strategies, etc for Xbox One and PS4.

This combined with talk of 14nm adoption, 2x PS4 gpu power, makes me suspect a 2017 launch for NX.

To continue my point earlier on about Nintendo's timings with console reveal and release:
Gamecube was revealed in 2000, released in 2001.
Wii was revealed in 2005, released in 2006.
Wii U was revealed in 2011, released in 2012.

That was then, this is the New Nintendo. The New Nintendo that releases consoles in 2016 god damnit.

They're discontinuing Wii Us this year according to Nikkei, AMD had talks of new gaming stuff releasing this year, Gamestop mentioned new consoles releasing this year, the Nintendo employee that Trev got a hold of predicted a console launch this year, as did the 3rd party developer Trev got in touch with. The talk of 14nm adoption is probably the shakiest thing in 10k's rumor summary. Rosti has emphasized again and again how incredibly secretive Nintendo is being, and 10k corroborated it.

And most importantly, I want it this year.

Anyways, we should know in less than two weeks when the financial briefing takes place and they make their forecasts.

For a console releasing this year, things have being really quiet, in terms of leaks and also official info from Nintendo.

In April of 2013, we've already known the exact specs, online strategies, etc for Xbox One and PS4.

This combined with talk of 14nm adoption, 2x PS4 gpu power, makes me suspect a 2017 launch for NX.

To continue my point earlier on about Nintendo's timings with console reveal and release:

It makes too much sense. Nintendo could shit out a console in 2017 and have it be the cheapest, smallest, coolest, and the most powerful on the market.

Almost every source is saying released this year.

Mithos

Gold Member
I'm really hopeful that NX has some type of off-screen play, i used it a lot with my WiiU, and having map-item management on the controller is just so intuitive and better.

I just hope its not there at all if not packed in the box. Won't go get (buy) a secondary hardware to get an extra display.

AzaK

Yeah. I don't see a 2x power of PS4 console coming from Nintendo. At best it will be on par.

I agree, it does seem like a stretch for Nintendo. However it's obvious to anyone why lives in the Western gamer territory so maybe just maybe Nintendo has realised this.

Sendou

You don't even have to have any inside information to know that NX's lineup is going to be ridiculous. Wii U was dropped a lost faster than Wii or GC. Nintendo's most important studios have been working on NX games for a long time from what we can see. Which is kind of important because I wonder if they can convince anyone to buy the thing unless it has the software to match up the big words.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It makes too much sense. Nintendo could shit out a console in 2017 and have it be the cheapest, smallest, coolest, and the most powerful on the market.

Times have really, really, really changed in terms of what's the time period necessary between a console's announcement and its release. Bringing up examples from 2000 and 2005 is anachronistic. Plus, tight NDAs.

Again, there are way too many hints for a 2016 release. If it happens to be in 2017, Q1 2017 max. Not outside of that window.

Also, I'd really love to have a deep breakdown of costs for each rumoured component / classic console components. I just want to know if it's possible (assuming Nintendo decides to sell this thing with a loss) to get it with a $299.99 MSRP on the market.

bomma_man

Isn't that onlyrenderwhatsonscreen thing why the rogue squadron games on GameCube look so good? Why isn't that technique used more?

Oddduck

There are a few exceptions.

Nintendo DS was revealed at E3 2004 and then released November of that same year.
Game Boy Micro was revealed at E3 2005 and then released later that same year.

It was pretty obvious that the rumoured NLG Wii U game from last E3 was gonna be moved over to the NX, along with Retro's Wii U game.

Highly unlikely they were ever actively developed as Wii u games. Knowing retros game was likely 3+ years out meant they would be releasing at the end of an already dying systems life and not worth the risk.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I agree, it does seem like a stretch for Nintendo. However it's obvious to anyone why lives in the Western gamer territory so maybe just maybe Nintendo has realised this.
I'd be fine with a PS4 performance console. Add in Nintendos fantastic art direction and you are looking at some incredible looking game.

I find these rumors hard to believe, way too much risk for nintendo, 2x the power of ps4 and screen on the controller, sound like a very expensive console, if this fails which imo has a huge chance of happening, I don't see nintendo making consoles anymore.

Salty and scared. 8)

But tbh I don't believe this rumors this time. To much of a fanboys dream. Sounds like the WUST Thread all over again, sorry 10K.

I worded it poorly.

The screen controller will likely cost $80 or so, it's not going to be the price of a handheld. So it'll be cheaper to use remote play with the NX compared to PS4 and Vita. Will likely perform better too. That was just speculation on my part. It's even noted.

Out of interest, what makes you think the remote play would perform better than the PS4 and Vita combo?

Almost every source is saying it's more powerful than PS4 too but you're only skeptical about one of these things.

I wonder why that is.

Cause I'm being realistic. I can see it being slightly more powerful then ps4, but 2x is gonna be a very expensive console for a brand that's irrelevant in terms of console market share, not to mention major third-party franchises are not established on nintendo consoles as well for over a decade, I assume that's why they want to make a powerful console, because nintendo would be fine with ps4 console spec wise, then you have a screen on the controller and the rumors just seems unrealistic, and makes no sense from a business perspective.

KingBroly

Banned
Almost every source is saying it's more powerful than PS4 too but you're only skeptical about one of these things.

I wonder why that is.

Prepare to be surprised.

If Zelda U wasn't being ported to NX, people wouldn't have talked about it for the last 10 months that it's gonna happen. Along with the other ports, it'd be a year too late for all of them, with the POSSIBLE exception of Mario Maker.

usmanusb

Cause I'm being realistic. I can see it being slightly more powerful then ps4, but 2x is gonna be a very expensive console for a brand that's irrelevant in terms of console market share, not to mention third-party franchises are not established on nintendo consoles as well, I assume that's why they want to make a powerful console, because nintendo would fine with ps4 console spec wise, then you have a screen on the controller and the rumors just seems unrealistic, and makes no sense from a business prospective.

What if Nintendo got a big volume of chips to reduce the overall price?

sony's history in the market is them wanting to look the best. they want the biggest, most cinematic things. they helped make an environment where fmv was a marketable term, allowed for voice acting to expand beyond voice clips in major titles, and started to increase value in what video game consoles were starting with the dvd player in the ps2. sony's never had the weakest platform of their generation or versus their competition. sony's method of revealing their consoles is how they talk about the emotion engine, cell, or 8gb gddr5 as ways to get people excited about power. psp played ps2-like games on the go, and ps vita played ps3-like games on the go. these were supposed to pull handheld gaming out of a sort of 'ghetto' (not my words), as they saw it.

it's possible that microsoft was looking to rebrand everything and have something ready even this year considering what's going on with uwp. sony's ps4k might have been a reaction to that, prompting microsoft to delay the new xbox so that it's a complete refresh. combined with the nx rumored to make the ps4 seem outdated, sony might have wanted to at least stay part of the conversation rather than being relegated to the 'weakest', especially if xbox and nx started looking like a new generation while sony was stuck in the previous one.

i think their hand was forced, a little by their own hubris and a little out of competition.

I agree about most of what you've said except the part about never being weaker than their competition. The PS1 was a lot weaker than N64, it just had larger storage on disc vs cartidge so it had FMV and voice acting. The PS2 was weaker than both the Xbox and Gamecube. The PS3 was only stronger on paper. PS4 is the first time they've actually had the most capable console.

I agree about most of what you've said except the part about never being weaker than their competition. The PS1 was a lot weaker than N64, it just had larger storage on disc vs cartidge so it had FMV and voice acting. The PS2 was weaker than both the Xbox and Gamecube. The PS3 was only stronger on paper. PS4 is the first time they've actually had the most capable console.

PS1 and PS2 were technologically advanced thanks to the cd and dvd drive though. PS2 being a dvd player helped so much. It's not always just about how many polygons can be on screen.

They are never really weaker then there competition when released, they obviously can not be more powerful then there competition when they release a year and a half later, as it's not in there hands. But as a new product being released sony usually wants to be the best.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Nintendo were to learn anything from the Wii U it's that the second screen controller should be optional, and their should be sku sold without it and the consumer able to use it separate. Nintendo barely used it on the Wii U just like the Gamecube controller it should something optional the consumer wish to have not a major buyng incetive which it isn't to most consumers.

I don't see the point of making Wii U games for the NX. Maybe two versions of Zelda would be just about OK if the NX version looked significantly better, but definitely not Splatoon and Mario Maker. Release sequels, not old games. It would be like the launch of the Wii U again with all those old console games everyone had already seen.

The_Lump

Banned
I don't see the point of making Wii U games for the NX. Maybe two versions of Zelda would be just about OK if the NX version looked significantly better, but definitely not Splatoon and Mario Maker. Release sequels, not old games. It would be like the launch of the Wii U again with all those old console games everyone had already seen.

Well that's assuming its only getting remakes, which will not be the case.

Remasters/remakes of WiiU games to fill the gaps between new releases sounds great to me. (Especially considering how few people have played WiiUs fantastic line-up of exclusives)

Peterc

Still wonder how they wil convince people to buy a mid-gen console.

For the mainstream people. Because they already own a ps4.

If they don't add something real unique i doubt they convince the mainstream

Jaagen

I'd be fine with a PS4 performance console. Add in Nintendos fantastic art direction and you are looking at some incredible looking game.

True. Just look at what they've done with the Wii U. Games like Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 look amazing. I wouldn't say no to a sub 100-watt small console that performed like a PS4.

AzaK

Yeah? Not me. I have limited money, and was already burnt on Wii U so i have a PS4 now too where I play most games. If Nintendo comes out with a PS4 level NX, then the only real selling point they have is their games and for a few games I love of theirs, like Zelda, 3D Mario and Metroid I can probably borrow a machine from someone.

Basically for me, Nintendo need to convince me to use the NX as my primary game machine. For that it needs to be powerful or have some amazing feature like SCDs before I'll ever consider them any more.

PS1 and PS2 were technologically advanced thanks to the cd and dvd drive though. PS2 being a dvd player helped so much. It's not always just about how many polygons can be on screen.

I don't disagree with you, but that's not what we were talking about.

They are never really weaker then there competition when released, they obviously can not be more powerful then there competition when they release a year and a half later, as it's not in there hands.

Their competition are the consoles that they were competing against during that console cycle. Or are you also saying that Wii U has an appropriate amount of power compared to it's competition because it came out before PS4 and Xbox One?

Sony has never had the most powerful console of a generation until this gen.

Still wonder how they wil convince people to buy a mid-gen console.

For the mainstream people. Because they already own a ps4.

If they don't add something real unique i doubt they convince the mainstream

There are more than 50 million people out there who wanna buy a console. It is easy...if the NX is the hottest shit and the marketing sells it right, a lot of people will buy it.
It all depends on the reveal and how the press will talk about it.

swatahafa

Banned
There are more than 50 million people out there who wanna buy a console. It is easy...if the NX is the hottest shit and the marketing sells it right, a lot of people will buy it.

It also depends if they can play a great version of FIFA on it. It's a deal breaker for lots of people.

I hope Nintendo learned that from Wii U.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah? Not me. I have limited money, and was already burnt on Wii U so i have a PS4 now too where I play most games. If Nintendo comes out with a PS4 level NX, then the only real selling point they have is their games and for a few games I love of theirs, like Zelda, 3D Mario and Metroid I can probably borrow a machine from someone.

Basically for me, Nintendo need to convince me to use the NX as my primary game machine. For that it needs to be powerful or have some amazing feature like SCDs before I'll ever consider them any more.

See, you're the kind of guy they will never ever reconquer. You just want a PS4 and Nintendo games are bonuses.

Darius

Banned

PS2 was also stronger than DC and the focus lied on beeing far more powerful. Also by the time GC and Xbox arrived it was pretty much established. Besides DVD movie playback which was one of the biggest selling point for the mainstream, it also was considered to be very powerful, dedspite beeing noticeably weaker, most people still think it was more powerful than Gamecube.

Very similar situation in the 32/64bit gen, that the system was more powerful than Saturn was always and constantly brought up and the majority were ignorant enough to think it was more powerful than N64. Especially thanks to the FMV craze.

Looking back it doesn´t surprise me at all that an incredible amount of people still think WiiU is not the successor of the Wii, but just the gamepad.

Their competition are the consoles that they were competing against during that console cycle. Or are you also saying that Wii U has an appropriate amount of power compared to it's competition because it came out before PS4 and Xbox One?

Sony has never had the most powerful console of a generation until this gen.

The wiiu is a different scenario nintendo wasn't going for the best hardware at release, they were trying to be on par with 360/ps3, if Nintendo really wanted to try, they could have easily matched the xbone, since the xbone had to make huge sacrifices for kinect, then it would have been oppropriate power wise.

Lol easy is not the word I would use, ever since playstation launched we only had one generation where Microsoft and Nintendo consoles have been really successful, past the 50 million mark.

chico

and again a controller with a screen. yeah...that worked so well with the wiiu. are they unable to learn from their past mistakes?

JonnyKong

I don't mean to discredit 10k, but I just don't see why I should believe these rumours more so than those fake leaked controller images.

Whilst I can understand the excitement of this hype train, this is all starting to sound very Jay from Inbetweeners.

marmoka

Banned
I woke up, and had to go 12 pages backwards to read 10k's new post. The hype is real. The thirst is real.

I really wish NX to be close to PS4K, this way disaster is less likely to happen. I hope that single source is right.

And best of all, it looks like the 3rd party support will finally happen. This time there will be many games. I hope this does not happen only at launch windows, like in Wii U.

Zoon

I don't think I've read this anywhere else, but I start to think that the "main NX" could actually be the hollow touch-screen thing.In Japan afaik the internet connections are far superior (both in bandwith and availability) than those in the west.

So the regional launch would make sense to be for the 14nm brick, that is actually the SCD.

tl;dr
NX=hollow thing
Japan = hollow thing+cloud
West= hollow thing + SCD(14nm brick)

Not saying that this info is real or fake, but doubling down on off-TV play, a concept that has been thoroughly rejected by the market and which developers have consistently struggled to make compelling, would be utter lunacy, optional or not.

The best case scenario as described would be a Vita-style remote play system with a dumb terminal having the ability to take the place of the handheld if you don't own one, but when your best case scenario is cribbing from the sodding Vita you're in BIG trouble.

Even without going into the specifics of these reveal strategies (we barely knew any more about the Wii than we know about the NX in 2005 apart from the controller reveal towards the end of the year, and the Wii U reveal schedule was a demonstrable disaster that they'd run a mile from if they've got any sense), the fact is that Nintendo's publicity and reveal strategies are poles apart from what they were even in 2012. Modern Nintendo has emphasised a focus on cutting down the time between a product's reveal and its launch- most obviously in the way that both the 3DS XL and the New 3DS were revealed a matter of weeks before release, but also in the multiple times a piece of software has been revealed a couple of months before it comes out- Kirby Planet Robotot is the most recent example, but it's happened time and again. I don't think it can be underestimated how much the Direct strategy has altered Nintendo's reveal campaigns, and as the first new generation of hardware to be revealed in the Direct era, I don't think it's safe to assume that the NX's reveal strategy will bare any resemblance to previous ones.

Setting aside precedence for a second, and ignoring the tangible evidence from multiple sources that it's coming out this year, just look at Nintendo's current and upcoming software roster. On the Wii U post-Star Fox, we've got a late version of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Paper Mario, a late localisation of TMS, and Zelda. That's it. Does that seem like the lineup of a console that doesn't have something else on the way to take up the slack?

Not saying that this info is real or fake, but doubling down on off-TV play, a concept that has been thoroughly rejected by the market and which developers have consistently struggled to make compelling, would be utter lunacy, optional or not.

The best case scenario as described would be a Vita-style remote play system with a dumb terminal having the ability to take the place of the handheld if you don't own one, but when your best case scenario is cribbing from the sodding Vita you're in BIG trouble.

Even without going into the specifics of these reveal strategies (we barely knew any more about the Wii than we know about the NX in 2005 apart from the controller reveal towards the end of the year, and the Wii U reveal schedule was a demonstrable disaster that they'd run a mile from if they've got any sense), the fact is that Nintendo's publicity and reveal strategies are poles apart from what they were even in 2012. Modern Nintendo has emphasised a focus on cutting down the time between a product's reveal and its launch- most obviously in the way that both the 3DS XL and the New 3DS were revealed a matter of weeks before release, but also in the multiple times a piece of software has been revealed a couple of months before it comes out- Kirby Planet Robotot is the most recent example, but it's happened time and again. I don't think it can be underestimated how much the Direct strategy has altered Nintendo's reveal campaigns, and as the first new generation of hardware to be revealed in the Direct era, I don't think it's safe to assume that the NX's reveal strategy will bare any resemblance to previous ones.

Setting aside precedence for a second, and ignoring the tangible evidence from multiple sources that it's coming out this year, just look at Nintendo's current and upcoming software roster. On the Wii U post-Star Fox, we've got a late version of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Paper Mario, a late localisation of TMS, and Zelda. That's it. Does that seem like the lineup of a console that doesn't have something else on the way to take up the slack?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but according to your theory of Nintendo's reveal campaigns, they could very well announce a whole slew of Wii U games for the back half of 2016 instead of an NX lol.

That being said, I'm fully on team #NXin2016 :)

JoeM86

I think you're mistaking off screen play with asymmetrical play. Off-Screen play has been well received. It's not the mass market system seller, but it's not something developers have to make compelling. It's something that is there.

Off-TV Play is a huge thing, and many with a Wii U enjoy it and use it.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but according to your theory of Nintendo's reveal campaigns, they could very well announce a whole slew of Wii U games for the back half of 2016 instead of an NX lol.

That being said, I'm fully on team #NXin2016 :)
True enough, but we generally have a sense of the overall shape of a holiday season well ahead of time, with the odd bit of software here and there to pad out the lineup closer to the time. In this particular case, we can fairly confidently say that, given what's already been announced for the future and the software that Nintendo's been putting out over the past few months, that the internal focus has shifted away from the Wii U.

If they do unleash an onslaught of first-party Wii U content in holiday 2016, you'd have to wonder why they hadn't bothered to put anything out since... Ooh, Mario Maker?
I think you're mistaking off screen play with asymmetrical play. Off-Screen play has been well received. It's not the mass market system seller, but it's not something developers have to make compelling. It's something that is there.

Off-TV Play is a huge thing, and many with a Wii U enjoy it and use it.
I've yet to see any compelling evidence that the market cares about Off-TV play at all- certainly not to the extent that it's worth building in as the core vision of the next console.

It's not something that is just there. It's something that requires a significant amount of materials and cost. If, by some miracle, they were able to include it without adding to the costs, then sure, why not toss it in? If, however, it's at the core of the new console as a differentiating factor and as a key selling point, then they're on a hiding to nothing- people just don't care all that much.

I should have referred to the Gamepad concept as a whole rather than just Off-TV Play, admittedly, but I don't think the two are divisible in terms of the Wii U concept, and if the NX relies on it in the same way they'll have all the same problems again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom