• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK_768

Even if the info turns out to be bogus, 10k shouldn't be banned. They've made it abundantly clear that they're just passing along info that should be treated with scepticism at nearly every turn.

10k shouldn't be banned or harshly criticized. He coulda kept this shit to himself, and to be honest I think he should've. Only cause some people here are massive twats about this crap lol. They bitch and moan about not having leaks or rumors and whatnot...but the second one comes around they are thirsty to slit the throat of the messenger. 10k is the messenger and we've already seen people get bitchy and condescending towards or about him.

Sometimes quenching the thirst of Gaf is a waste of time.

MuchoMalo

Banned
10k shouldn't be banned or harshly criticized. He coulda kept this shit to himself, and to be honest I think he should've. Only cause some people here are massive twats about this crap lol. They bitch and moan about not having leaks or rumors and whatnot...but the second one comes around they are thirsty to slit the throat of the messenger. 10k is the messenger and we've already seen people get bitchy and condescending towards or about him.

Couldn't agree more.

Completely agree.

bachikarn

I just can't believe Nintendo would be cutting-edge after 10 years of being left in the dust.

I just can't.

After one of the worst failures in its history, it is not unreasonable for Nintendo to do something way different than they have in the past. I def don't expect them to do it, but I won't be surprised if they do.

The things I buy:

- The 4 ports, especially Zelda and Smash. Multiple sources have been saying this.
- Final Fantasy XV on NX. Just makes a lot of sense for Square to port it.
- Good specs. By "good" I mean PS4-ish. I don't think they're going to release a 400-dollar beefcake though.
- The "lots of NX games in development" part. Nintendo's big teams haven't been silent for no reason.
- Luigi's Mansion 3 seems likely considering how well 2 sold.

Everything else seems iffy to me.
~PS4 spec sounds about right. Not sure if Nintendo would go super high spec even if we've heard from a few people it's more powerful even if it's not by much.
Where is this 10k post? I've been digging and digging but have given up because I'm lazy.
In the OP http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1207224&page=1

XPE

In the first post

I wonder if Zelda will take advantage of the nx horse power or will it be like the twilight princess port to the wii?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The spec portions of 10k's posts throw up a lot of red flags. Biggest one is Nintendo using GNMX. That belongs to Sony and it custom coded for low level access on the PS4.

The giant discussion of a single hardware feature is another. I've seen this happen a lot in rumors, especially when something actually less powerful than expected. There's a lot of extrapolation to find some kind of "secret sauce". This happened after the XBO spec leaked and there was an added focus on display planes and such.

Mokujin

The NX will use a custom Polaris-like GPU ~ Likely will be on a FinFET 14nm fabrication node ~ "marginally better than the PS4" ~ "2x the power of PS4 GPU" ~ "Theoretically it could be close to the PS4K rumored specs"

Sooo, we have already entered the Mountains of Madness, thread has now the potential to backfire harder than WUST, brace yourselves!!

I could see Nintendo having a Ps4-X1 performance level, maybeee even better balanced, but outside of that Nintendo doesn't really need the system to be much more powerful, reaching those levels could open easiness for developers to port games (something that both Wii and WiiU lacked and was a great mistake) but ouside of that I see no benefits pursuing greater specs.

Rodin

In the first post

I wonder if Zelda will take advantage of the nx horse power or will it be like the twilight princess port to the wii?

It's a cross gen game, so it probably will be like MGS V, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, etc.

In the first post

I think at the very least it should be 1080p.
Even if it turns out to be X1 power or Above PS4 power
Uncompressed textures thanks to considerable RAM increase is a possibility too.

Am I the only who doesn't see Nintendo selling the NX for $300? As much as it would help the console fly off shelves, The Wii U is already officially priced that much, and I don't see Nintendo slashing the Wii U's price by $100 or more. I can see Wii U priced at $250 this holiday season, and NX at $350, if it turns out to be a stronger PS4, with 14nm GPU, and with that wireless second screen thing that 10k rumored about.I don't see the NX making a profit with that all of those combinations either, but I think its a loss they could take. Also, I don't think a $50 discrepancy between NX and PS4/Xbox1 wouldn't be that big of a deal at launch, as long as the leaks are true and they have a real solid launch.

However, if X1 and PS4 were sold at $250, even just for the holidays, then Nintendo would kind of be screwed.

It's a cross gen game, so it probably will be like MGS V, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, etc.
Yeah, kind of hoping for a MGSV situation.
On PS3 it's 720/30fps while on PS4 it was 1080p/60fps.
Am I the only who doesn't see Nintendo selling the NX for $300? As much as it would help the console fly off shelves, The Wii U is already officially priced that much, and I don't see Nintendo slashing the Wii U's price by $100 or more. I can see Wii U priced at $250 this holiday season, and NX at $350, if it turns out to be a stronger PS4, with 14nm GPU, and with that wireless second screen thing that 10k rumored about.I don't see the NX making a profit with that all of those combinations either, but I think its a loss they could take. Also, I don't think a $50 discrepancy between NX and PS4/Xbox1 wouldn't be that big of a deal at launch, as long as the leaks are true and they have a real solid launch.

However, if X1 and PS4 were sold at $250, even just for the holidays, then Nintendo would kind of be screwed.
I'm guessing they'll go for $350 at most. Sony can under cut them if they want, which could be a problem.
Being >PS4 at $300 would be ideal. Don't include the gamepad and eat the cost for the time being.

Azoo

Neo Member
I imagine that the Wii U won't be on the market whatsoever by the end of this year (didn't some place say production was halting on them this year?). If it is at all present, it'll probably have a severe price cut to compensate.

Also I can see them making a $350 bundle with a new gamepad, but a lighter bundle without it for $299. It sounds ultimately optional this time around thanks to focusing on off-TV play, and they got a lot of flak for it last time, so I see the 'optional' path being their best.

Neoxon

I imagine that the Wii U won't be on the market whatsoever by the end of this year (didn't some place say production was halting on them this year?). If it is at all present, it'll probably have a severe price cut to compensate.

Also I can see them making a $350 bundle with a new gamepad, but a lighter bundle without it for $299. It sounds ultimately optional this time around thanks to focusing on off-TV play, and they got a lot of flak for it last time, so I see the 'optional' path being their best.
But again, where does that leave games like Splatoon & Super Mario Maker? Both heavily rely on a second screen &, in the case of the respective ports, are rumored to interact with their Wii U counterparts.

Banned
One thing about the rumor that I want to clarify is the use of GMNX. As far as I know, that's a Sony proprietary API and there's no way Nintendo would be able to use it. If it isn't, could someone please send me a link with more info?
Something similar to GMNX not actually GMNX. The dev wouldn't specify which API it was.

Consolidating their console and handheld line up should mean an increase in profits since their software should sell considerably better than if it was just on say Wii U.
Adds value to the console which would make the high price more reasonable.
With mobile being a thing, potential licensing for movies/TV shows, amiibo, etc they're in the best position they've ever been to eat the cost of the system.
Every NX buyer is a new potential amiibo collector, so that's one way to make money.
If the handheld makes a profit and outsell the console like it has in the past, that's another way to make money.
Hope Nintendo handles it well.

Azoo

Neo Member
But again, where does that leave games like Splatoon & Super Mario Maker? Both heavily rely on a second screen &, in the case of the respective ports, are rumored to interact with their Wii U counterparts.

Not sure. Maybe that's the reason they're having porting troubles, if any?

If NX is anything above $300, I reckon it'll fall flat on its face unless it has a hook as new and fresh as the original Wii. Well, after the initial core fan/holiday rush.

big_z

Consolidating their console and handheld line up should mean an increase in profits since their software should sell considerably better than if it was just on say Wii U.
Adds value to the console which would make the high price more reasonable.
With mobile being a thing, potential licensing for movies/TV shows, amiibo, etc they're in the best position they've ever been to eat the cost of the system.
Every NX buyer is a new potential amiibo collector, so that's one way to make money.
If the handheld makes a profit and outsell the console like it has in the past, that's another way to make money.
Hope Nintendo handles it well.

smartest way to make nx both console and portable while cutting cost is to release it with a dumb controller that has an expansion slot on the back. Nintendo could then release the hardware expansion for the controller that makes it into a portable at a later date.

So let me get 10k's rumors straight...

Nintendo is going to follow up on its failed attempt at a confusing, expensive console/tablet hybrid by following it up with another console/tablet hybrid that is way more expensive than the first since now the console is 2x more powerful than a PS4?

And since it was very complicated and troublesome for developers to have to deal with the myriad of different control options available on the Wii U, coupled by the dilemma of having to decide whether to aim for a full two-screen experience that can't be played off-TV, or aiming for a watered down two-screen experience that can be played off-TV, now they're going to make this even more complex by having the tablet controller be optional and strongly promoting remote play? Meaning that what, the console normally ships with a standard controller? And there's going to be a bundle that includes both? And you expect all of this to be sold at a mass-market price?

Yeah. I'm not buying any of it. You guys are just delusional.

smartest way to make nx both console and portable while cutting cost is to release it with a dumb controller that has an expansion slot on the back. Nintendo could then release the hardware expansion for the controller that makes it into a portable at a later date.
Would require you to own the NX to do that. Not sure if they'll go through with that

Banned
It appears the crazy started happening after I went off to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Seems that was the right choice, in my view.

I'd say only 11 million consoles by the end of the Wii U's run is a fairly substantial reason for Nintendo to buck design trends of the past.

Considering Xbox One is a non-factor basically everywhere that isn't North America, and isn't even doing so well there, I'd say there's room for one more when one console dominates 2 out of the 3 market regions almost completely.

Considering how even selling on all available platforms, 3rd-parties aren't recovering their development and marketing budgets on a fair number of titles? Yeah, they need as many platforms as they can. It's up to Nintendo to keep their platform viable, and that's not going to be up for debate until the thing actually launches.

Also, multi-platform games have eroded the notion of multi-console ownership and people weren't buying 3rd-party games for very specific identifiable reasons that aren't inherent to Nintendo as a company and therefore can be shaken off.

I think the part that we still need to know is this: is the 2nd-screen really the selling point, or something they chose to add because they could at a better cost than they could with Wii U?

10k's sources may be saying it's THE gimmick because it's the only thing they have seen to this point that differentiates NX from other devices.

So, while 10k may be able to elaborate on this and state otherwise, his sources may actually be conflating the presence of this feature as being THE feature that they market it for.

So people talking about Nintendo "doubling down" seems premature. It's a thing they added because it worked in a number of examples, allows the handheld that's coming to be 2-screen without breaking compatibility between them and not much more beyond that.
Correct. Perhaps this is just a feature and not "the gimmick" NX really has. Maybe there is something else. I hope there is because extended remote play is not my thing.

MuchoMalo

Banned
If NX is anything above $300, I reckon it'll fall flat on its face unless it has a hook as new and fresh as the original Wii. Well, after the initial core fan/holiday rush.

If software and power can't decide the fate of the system, neither can price. It's really just going to depend on what it offers overall and how quickly they can drop the price. That's why I think that allowing AMD to use the custom APU as an actual PC part if possible would be genius move if they could somehow protect it from being able to be used to create a "HackNX" of sorts. The economies of scale in the first year mean that they could drop the price rapidly in the first couple of years. Add that in with something 40-50% more powerful than PS4 and proper marketing, and $350 could work.

In all honestly, NX can't be a smash hit at this stage no matter what they do other than catching lightning in a bottle with a super cheap console again. That's unfortunately not a sustainable strategy. do you know what potentially could be sustainable though? Making the focus of this gen reviving third-party relations with a moderately successful console and depending on the handheld and mobile games to pick up the slack. The NX successor should release no more than two years after the PS5 and XBox Nanny Boo Boo, so using NX as a way of setting up long-term plans and sustainability might be the best strategy in the end. If you focus too much on short-term success, that's likely all that you'll ever get.

Peru

Correct. Perhaps this is just a feature and not "the gimmick" NX really has. Maybe there is something else. I hope there is because extended remote play is not my thing.

I don't know why people wish for some crazy gimmick or think it needs it

MK_768

So let me get 10k's rumors straight...

Nintendo is going to follow up on its failed attempt at a confusing, expensive console/tablet hybrid by following it up with another console/tablet hybrid that is way more expensive than the first since now the console is 2x more powerful than a PS4?

And since it was very complicated and troublesome for developers to have to deal with the myriad of different control options available on the Wii U, coupled by the dilemma of having to decide whether to aim for a full two-screen experience that can't be played off-TV, or aiming for a watered down two-screen experience that can be played off-TV, now they're going to make this even more complex by having the tablet controller be optional and strongly promoting remote play? Meaning that what, the console normally ships with a standard controller? And there's going to be a bundle that includes both? And you expect all of this to be sold at a mass-market price?

Yeah. I'm not buying any of it. You guys are just delusional.

lol okay buddy. Sorry we are speculating about the rumors. Also...50 dollars more isn't "way more expensive" lmao.

Nzyme32

In terms of the idea of NX using Vulkan, I think that could be legit as discussed in a previous thread.

Basically the timeline is that back in September 2015, Nintendo joined Khronos as a contributor, however they were not a part of the Vulkan working group at that time, as shown by the subsequent slides of the presentation:

dRtqUTG.png

Fast forward to Feb 2016, when Vulkan had its spec released, the presentation was updated to include Nintendo as part of the Vulkan working group. So in some form Nintendo will be using Vulkan. It could be part of their mobile efforts, portable, NX or both.

xpYUyJM.png

Finally, something I pointed out ages ago as a crackpot theory, but still could be a thing - back when the vision for NX was laid out by Nintendo, this slide showed up. I feel that the colouring of RGB used here is no mistake. The WiiU and Tablet appear as the same light blue, 3DS as the dark blue and NX seemingly being the mix / in between. Meanwhile PC and Smartphone represent completely different colours / use cases, who knows. Would not surprise me to see NX encompass both the handheld and the console that work together, and perhaps even some use for tablets with the system along with WiiU stuff.

nx%20slide.jpg

Finally, something I pointed out ages ago as a crackpot theory, but still could be a thing - back when the vision for NX was laid out by Nintendo, this slide showed up. I feel that the colouring of RGB used here is no mistake. The WiiU and Tablet appear as the same light blue, 3DS as the dark blue and NX seemingly being the mix / in between. Meanwhile PC and Smartphone represent completely different colours / use cases, who knows. Would not surprise me to see NX encompass both the handheld and the console that work together, and perhaps even some use for tablets with the system along with WiiU stuff.

nx%20slide.jpg

Lol the Wii U and tablet aren't the same color

Banned
Where? Because mentioning a price discredited other "leakers" in the past and I don't see why 10k should not be if he stated any price. We all know that the price is not by the people who could leak info. Not at this moment in time. So where did he mentioned the price?

Polaris based GPU slightly better than PS4 (and assuming matching CPU and memory) is impossible at $299. And anything above $299 is a huge gamble for Nintendo.
Whoa whoa whoa, the price I posted was my speculation, not rumor. Guys, if this thing hits $399 it's close to DOA. I'm hoping $399 will be for the screen controller sku and some extra storage space or having a game that uses the touchscreen be bundled.

I want the basic sku to be $299-349.

LordOfChaos

My brains been itching since yesterday lol, I wonder, if you got Polaris out of your T1 guy, would he possibly be able to tell us a shader count, Tflop range, anything like that? Polaris can be scaled up or down to any degree.

We have one of their estimations of being 30% ahead of the PS4s CPU, but since the PS4 was readily admitted by Cerny to be overly GPU-heavy compared to what the CPU could push (to have extra GPU compute performance), 30% on top of the CPU may not mean 30% on top of the PS4 GPU to retain balance.

People calling for 10k's ban should be banned, publicly flogged, and finally tarred and feathered.

Being irrational is fun!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'd love to see Thraktor, blu and other good techGaf guys to make guesses on the kind of price we would be looking at just for the console itself with the (small, I know) amount of (supposed) infos we have right now. If it's possible, of course :p

It was???

Was it not? Instead of having to deal with just one standard controller, now you had to deal with:

- Wii U GamePad.
- Wii remote pointer.
- Wii remote sideways.
- Wii remote + nunchuck.
- Pro Controller.
- Classic Controller.
- Classic Controller 2.

- Your menus must be made to be navigatable with standard controller buttons, Wii remote pointer, and GamePad touch at the same time, which can sometimes interact all at once simultaneously.

- You must sometimes display different and/or multiple buttons dynamically depending on the controller in use (which varies between different players simultaneously).

- You have to handle the disconnection of all or parts (Nunchuck, etc.) of controller types and provide error handling for all cases.

- You have to provide controller settings/control schemes (and according graphical assets, screens, loading pages, etc.) for all of the above.

Unless you limited your game to only one control method (which made you look a bit foolish), it was such an immense logistical nightmare to get all of this in and past Lotcheck unscathed. But what do I know, right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Whoa whoa whoa, the price I posted was my speculation, not rumor. Guys, if this thing hits $399 it's close to DOA. I'm hoping $399 will be for the screen controller sku and some extra storage space or having a game that uses the touchscreen be bundled.

If it's just your speculation, then fine. The guy I quoted was using it as it was a given because you said so.

Edit: the guy who told you about Polaris has access to the devkit?

Was it not? Instead of having to deal with just one standard controller, now you had to deal with:

- Wii U GamePad.
- Wii remote pointer.
- Wii remote sideways.
- Wii remote + nunchuck.
- Pro Controller.
- Classic Controller.
- Classic Controller 2.

I like how you added controllers that were exactly the same and extra skews (wiimote sideways) for no reason other than to pad the list

Liamario

Banned
This may have already been addressed, but is being more powerful than PS4 sufficient?
We're heading toward the console's 3rd anniversary, with some classics already released, excellent 3rd party support and great potential for the future. We're now talking about VR and possible hardware upgrades. By the time NX comes, it may already be underpowered and lacking quality 3rd party support. Are Nintendo likely going to repeat the same mistakes again but now with two well established consoles to face.

This may have already been addressed, but is being more powerful than PS4 sufficient?
We're heading toward the console's 3rd anniversary, with some classics already released, excellent 3rd party support and great potential for the future. We're now talking about VR and possible hardware upgrades. By the time NX comes, it may already be underpowered and lacking quality 3rd party support. Are Nintendo likely going to repeat the same mistakes again but now with two well established consoles to face.

Well considering we don't know how much more powerful, are you saying it should be less? People seem to read "More powerful than the PS4" as "Slightly more powerful than the PS4" for some reason

Noi_

Banned
I'm interested in what medium the games will be distributed. Discs? Cartridges? Digital? Physical versions with digital codes?

atbigelow

My thought is that the NX SDK would have the same graphics API as the Wii U. After years of buildup and documentation, that'd be a good place to start. Would require a lot less code changes to get games up and running from Wii U titles. This would be the library devs are using to get their games up and running. And it also works just fine in released Wii U titles.

They would have had initial vulkan implementations develop as the spec was standardized. Vulkan is NOT always the way to go, but it's quite crucial for middleware developers. Nintendo would have realized the strength of being vulkan ready and jumped in once NX proto hardware starting becoming available.

I like how you added controllers that were exactly the same and extra skews (wiimote sideways) for no reason other than to pad the list

Explain to me how it is not different, please? When you use the Wii remote as a pointer, the typical buttons to accept and cancel are A and B. When you use it sideways, the typical button to accept and cancel suddenly become 1 and 2.

I can see it now.. $299 for 75GB SSD, and $349 for 120 GB SSD. XD

MK_768

Yes, we've had this conversation many times. A lot of Sony fanboys have swung by to drop the same comment that you did.

There's a belief that the new iterations of the PS4 won't be a focal point for developers for a couple years. By then NX's fate will be easy to figure out I feel. It's tough to say developers will screw over 50M people ya know?

But also, it will be extremely expensive to get the VR and the new iteration. Just throwing that out there. Nintendo could compete, we'll see.
Well considering we don't know how much more powerful, are you saying it should be less? People seem to read "More powerful than the PS4" as "Slightly more powerful than the PS4" for some reason

Because it's Nintendo.

Here's my write up on these rumors:

NX is more powerful than the PS4: It's doable, and I think it would be smart.
If that turns out too expensive for most consumers, the handheld can be their choice. It's perceived value that Nintendo need to go after.

Wii U remasters: This is something they obviously should do. Not sure if I agree with the rumored choices, but at least Zelda U, Smash, and Mario Maker make sense.

Luigi's Mansion 3: The last game sold very well, I believe there as a rumored LM game for the Wii U, it's probably that like many of the first year titles will likely be.

x86: Don't think so. Nintendo coder wouldn't of mocked the speculations if it was true.

Nobody knows about the handheld: Western 3rd parties never do anything for the handheld so if anyone has it it's probably japanese devs like Namco and Square Enix. It could arrive at a later date as well, but they're not dumping the handheld and putting all their apples into the NX console especially with quotes from Iwata like the systems being "brothers" (can't be brothers if there's only one).

Gamepad 2.0: The gamepad is a great concept, streamlined with better screen tech would result in one of the best controllers out there. Being able to stream anywhere like the Vita could prove to be somewhat of a selling point, but I'm not sure it's worth bundling it in. If it's better tech than the Wii U gamepad then it's likely more expensive. Sell it as an add on later on. If the streaming tech is good enough you could potentially make the handheld like a portable OnLive type device that plays the handheld games. That could maybe work?

NX using fancy cutting edge tech with 14nm thingamabobs: I doubt it. Don't even understand it, but it seems unlikely. Being more powerful than the PS4 is one thing but this sounds like the tech isn't even out yet and it's super expensive. Probably wouldn't even be ready for mass production yet.

NX using Vulkan: I'd hope so. They're part of the group supporting it.

FFXV coming out for the NX: The timing might not add up unless they're content with a late port. They also teased at a special PC showcase, maybe they can use that?

Dev kits not being common until reveal: Sounds about right.

NX launching in different regions at different times: They've done it in the past and Iwata mentioned catering to each region's needs.

Lots of games in development/New IPs: After Splatoon that sounds likely. They also need to make this console work so they need to put in a lot of effort into selling it so hopefully it's true.

Mostly doubt the 14nm thing.

beril

I don't know why people wish for some crazy gimmick or think it needs it

releasing a bog standard box that's just a bit more powerful than PS4, from their current market position halfway into the generation when their competitors have a 40-50 million lead probably isn't going to end well, nor is it going to offer anything very interesting. Sure I'd buy it to play Nintendo IP, and if it is indeed more powerful and I'll probably get the NX port of the odd third party release. But I wouldn't really care either way if I had to buy the next Mario and other Nintendo releases on WiiU for the next few years instead and keep getting PS4 versions of third parties. And I doubt they'd be able to attract many new customers, or third parties that way. So instead I want to be surprised, do something odd and something interesting. Even if it doesn't end up become the future of all video games, and even though I'm a very traditional gamer and unlikely to really care for it, it'll still be interesting. I guess the gimmick could be mostly software based but it still needs to be something heavily integrated into the console to really warrant a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom