• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamario

Banned
Well considering we don't know how much more powerful, are you saying it should be less? People seem to read "More powerful than the PS4" as "Slightly more powerful than the PS4" for some reason
It's not going to be drastically more powerful, costs will dictate that. But coming in mid gen against a very successful Sony console is a huge mountain to overcome

ec0ec0

Even if the info turns out to be bogus, 10k shouldn't be banned.

If most turns out to be false, he should absolutely be banned. *edited* (it's quoted later so whatever xD)

If someone has real info, then he/she has nothing to worry about. You want to talk? ok, no one is forcing you. But if you "leak" info from your sources, and then it turns out to be fake, then you never had "sources" in the first place.

If this turned out to also be fake, it would be fair to say that GAF has been a huge time waster latelly.

Someone 3D-prints a controller. To make think worse, one "insider" comes out and outright says that it may actually be real (ShockingAlberto), another one makes cryptic comments (Rösti). I still love you Rösti :p

By commenting on that thread, they added legitimacy to the rumor. It turned out to be a huge waste of time. Was all that story ok just because it was fun? I don't think so.

Then we've this thread. People have been discussing this rumor for 100+ pages. If most turns out to be fake, then there was nothing to talk about.

I know that this is a gaming forum. People like to talk about this stuff, but we should make a distinction between people that help the discussion with real info, and people that don't.

I don't think that it's ok to post fake info without consequences. Someone passing info shouldn't be safe just because:

They've made it abundantly clear that they're just passing along info that should be treated with scepticism at nearly every turn.

He trusted his sources enough to show the info to the mods, he got verified, and now people are listening to him.

If only part of the info turned out to be false, then that's fine. But why should someone be able to write all that, have people talk about it, and then be fine if most turns out to be false?

I think that only "insiders" should be able to make those kind of claims, and you're not one simply because you got verified. You're one once what you said (at least partly) turns out to be true.

I don't have anyhting against 10k really. I appreciate the effort. I understand that he has put a lot of time into this thread.

By the way, when an insider gets banned for posting incorrect info, do they get banned for some months? or do they get perman-banned!? Does that change if they had posted real info in the past?

Explain to me how it is not different, please? When you use the Wii remote as a pointer, the typical button to accept are A and B. When you use it sideways, the typical button to accept and cancel suddenly become 1 and 2.

Because a dev isn't going to have to account for the user wanting to operate it both ways. It's it a pointer game it's never going to be held sideways so why would they need to come up with a separate controller scheme for that?

And then you list a bunch of pro controllers that all have the exact same buttons on them as if each one needs special consideration made for it.

MK_768

I know that this is going to be an unpopular opinion (sorry), but i'm going to try anyway.

If most turns out to be false, he should absolutely be banned. Anyone who makes us waste our time with fake leaks, "insider knowledge" or whatever, should be banned.

I stopped reading here. Please. Nobody here is making anybody read anything.

MuchoMalo

Banned
This may have already been addressed, but is being more powerful than PS4 sufficient?
We're heading toward the console's 3rd anniversary, with some classics already released, excellent 3rd party support and great potential for the future. We're now talking about VR and possible hardware upgrades. By the time NX comes, it may already be underpowered and lacking quality 3rd party support. Are Nintendo likely going to repeat the same mistakes again but now with two well established consoles to face.

If you're expecting PS4k to be anything close to a new generation, you're in for a very rude awakening.

I doubt that Nintendo even saw it coming, honestly. The only way out would be to delay NX for a year just to match an upgrade, and that might make things even worse. They can either charge ahead or drop out of consoles. That's just about all there is to it.

I feel like the Gamepad 2.0 idea is another overture towards trying to get Japan to buy the console since that country has shifted so hard towards portables/mobile devices. Plus, their average connection speed isn't complete shit.

Because a dev isn't going to have to account for the user wanting to operate it both ways. It's it a pointer game it's never going to be held sideways so why would they need to come up with a separate controller scheme for that?

why-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-is-the-wii-u-game-you-ve-been-waiting-for...-1108569.jpg

*COUGH, COUGH*

And then you list a bunch of pro controllers that all have the exact same buttons on them as if each one needs special consideration made for it.

They have the same buttons, but they're not the same in the system's eyes, and you can't refer to one as being the other. If the user disconnects the Pro Controller, it's not the same as the user disconnecting a Classic Controller. They don't go through the same API loops, you can't have the same message for both, etc, etc. Go develop a Wii U game that supports all controllers, then we'll talk.

ReyVGM

For a console releasing this year, things have being really quiet, in terms of leaks and also official info from Nintendo.

But this has been the leakiest Nintendo console ever.

In April of 2013, we've already known the exact specs, online strategies, etc for Xbox One and PS4.

That's the same year those consoles came out. It's still april, there's the fiscal meeting later this month, the same meeting where they announced the Wii back then. So expect some news by then.

This combined with talk of 14nm adoption, 2x PS4 gpu power, makes me suspect a 2017 launch for NX.

It comes out this year, you can bet your yarbles on it.

Peru

releasing a bog standard box that's just a bit more powerful than PS4, from their current market position halfway into the generation when their competitors have a 40-50 million lead probably isn't going to end well, nor is it going to offer anything very interesting. Sure I'd buy it to play Nintendo IP, and if it is indeed more powerful and I'll probably get the NX port of the odd third party release. But I wouldn't really care either way if I had to buy the next Mario and other Nintendo releases on WiiU for the next few years instead and keep getting PS4 versions of third parties. And I doubt they'd be able to attract many new customers, or third parties that way. So instead I want to be surprised, do something odd and something interesting. Even if it doesn't end up become the future of all video games, and even though I'm a very traditional gamer and unlikely to really care for it, it'll still be interesting. I guess the gimmick could be mostly software based but it still needs to be something heavily integrated into the console to really warrant a system.

Its power relationship with ps4 or xbo is not the interesting thing, though. I don't think it needs a crazy gimmick reason to buy it - but it needs more software than the wii u. If you buy the box and you get all the nintendo software on it, what would be handheld and console libraries, then that's a 'gimmick' strong enough, and would set it apart from any other games console or PC library.

Pinky

Banned
10k shouldn't be banned or harshly criticized. He coulda kept this shit to himself, and to be honest I think he should've. Only cause some people here are massive twats about this crap lol. They bitch and moan about not having leaks or rumors and whatnot...but the second one comes around they are thirsty to slit the throat of the messenger. 10k is the messenger and we've already seen people get bitchy and condescending towards or about him.

Sometimes quenching the thirst of Gaf is a waste of time.

Well said. Agree 100%.

MK_768

That's the same year those consoles came out. It's still april, there's the fiscal meeting later this month, the same meeting where they announced the Wii back then. So expect some news by then.

Err, only if these rumors are real lol. C'mon. Rumors =/= leaks

why-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-is-the-wii-u-game-you-ve-been-waiting-for...-1108569.jpg

*COUGH, COUGH*

Okay...your point? It's not a POINTER game. The left scheme is to use the nunchuk. Notice I didn't say the wiimote+nunchuk was a repeat skew?

They have the same buttons, but they're not the same in the system's eyes, and you can't refer to one as being the other. If the user disconnects the Pro Controller, it's not the same as the user disconnecting a Classic Controller. They don't go through the same API loops, you can't have the same message for both, etc, etc. Go develop a Wii U game that supports all controllers, then we'll talk.

No one expects a wii u game to support wii controls. At most devs only had to account for the gamepad + pro controller, and maybe the wiimote + nunchuk if they were making a pointer game. The fact that some devs CHOSE to support all the controllers didn't make it, by any means, a requirement or even an expectation

The part in 10k's rumor where it says

“And you can quote me on this on GAF too: “I think NX software output is going to blow away Wii U. There’s a LOT of games in development. I don’t know if we’ll see all of them at E3, since a lot of Wii U projects weren’t announced until January 2013, but I’m very impressed so far with what I’m hearing.”

Kind of piggybacks off of what Emily Rodgers said a few days ago when she said the NX first year lineup of games would be better than the lifetime of the Wii U. I know this was only from one source so they could've copied off of Emily or its true and I expect this E3 will be flooding with games. I want Nintendo to go all out and talk about the games releasing when NX launches all the way to like next holiday.

MK_768

“And you can quote me on this on GAF too: “I think NX software output is going to blow away Wii U. There’s a LOT of games in development. I don’t know if we’ll see all of them at E3, since a lot of Wii U projects weren’t announced until January 2013, but I’m very impressed so far with what I’m hearing.”

Kind of piggybacks off of what Emily Rodgers said a few days ago when she said the NX first year lineup of games would be better than the lifetime of the Wii U. I know this was only from one source so they could've copied off of Emily or its true and I expect this E3 will be flooding with games. I want Nintendo to go all out and talk about the games releasing when NX launches all the way to like next holiday.

Eh. Not all of them of course. A couple, sure. Keep the surprises coming in directs throughout the year.

beril

It's not really a big deal and Nintendo lotcheck is much less strict about controller management than Sony/MS (at least in the PS3/X360 days)

Eh. Not all of them of course. A couple, sure. Keep the surprises coming in directs throughout the year.
I kind of forgot about the Nintendo Directs lol. Yeah, they should save some games to announce in their directs like first party games.

I think third party multiplat games they should talk about until next holiday or however long if they're allowed to. I think they'll want to show gamers they will have third party support and the big casual games like FIFA, Madden, Call of Duty, etc.

Okay...your point? It's not a POINTER game. The left scheme is to use the nunchuk. Notice I didn't say the wiimote+nunchuk was a repeat skew?

Go check the Wii U's OS menu. You can operate it with both.

No one expects a wii u game to support wii controls. At most devs only had to account for the gamepad + pro controller, and maybe the wiimote + nunchuk if they were making a pointer game. The fact that some devs CHOSE to support all the controllers didn't make it, by any means, a requirement or even an expectation

It is expected. Gamers will complain whenever any control method is not supported. It doesn't change the essence of what I was saying: It was a needlessly complex system to support in most cases. Prior to the Wii U, never had a game needed to display two completely different buttons simultaneously for a the same action at the same time. It's just generally more work than any other platform. Stop trying to find meaningless exceptions in what I'm saying to try and invalidate it.

Prior to the Wii U, no game in existence ever needed to display this kind of atrocity:

maxresdefault.jpg

Tell me that's not more work than having a single controller to support.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
10k shouldn't be banned or harshly criticized. He coulda kept this shit to himself, and to be honest I think he should've. Only cause some people here are massive twats about this crap lol. They bitch and moan about not having leaks or rumors and whatnot...but the second one comes around they are thirsty to slit the throat of the messenger. 10k is the messenger and we've already seen people get bitchy and condescending towards or about him.

Yep, I totally agreed. It was really confusing when few people called him out and want him to be banned if he's wrong when he's not the leaker. He's just a messenger, like some people here who leaked via as messengers.

What if it's a quote from Emily Rodgers. There are few people that believed that it's Emily Rodgers who said the quote.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

In what parallel universe do you live in? Seriously, compare 2011's Wii U pre-announcement rumours / screens / reliability / amount of sources (around April 2011) to what we've had for NX so far. The difference is enormous.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Next week should hopefully be the advent of some information (venue, time etc.) of Nintendo's FY 2015 Financial Results Briefing on April 28 and the news conference on April 27.

I would assume this information is already available to certain institutional analysts, but I've seen nothing communicated to the public yet.

LordOfChaos

My thought is that the NX SDK would have the same graphics API as the Wii U. After years of buildup and documentation, that'd be a good place to start. Would require a lot less code changes to get games up and running from Wii U titles. This would be the library devs are using to get their games up and running. And it also works just fine in released Wii U titles.

They would have had initial vulkan implementations develop as the spec was standardized. Vulkan is NOT always the way to go, but it's quite crucial for middleware developers. Nintendo would have realized the strength of being vulkan ready and jumped in once NX proto hardware starting becoming available.

This was my thought, Vulkan is great for broad industry use, but Nintendos current developers have used GX and GX2 for years. The NX could possibly use a "GX3", just alongside Vulkan, like the PS3 used LibGCM but also a higher level OpenGL based wrapper for ease of use, or GNM vs GNMX.

Except in this case rather than high level/low level, it would be broad industry/Nintendo industry.

Liamario

Banned
If you're expecting PS4k to be anything close to a new generation, you're in for a very rude awakening.

I doubt that Nintendo even saw it coming, honestly. The only way out would be to delay NX for a year just to match an upgrade, and that might make things even worse. They can either charge ahead or drop out of consoles. That's just about all there is to it.
I'm suggesting that NX needs to be competitive specs wise. But even if it is, there are many more challenges for it to makes its stamp. I almost feel like they should weight till this cycle comes to an end before taking another swing.

GAMERG0D

I see people mentioning a 2017 launch for this thing, I don't think that's a smart idea. PS4 and XB1 were going to launch Winter 2013 whether they were done with the software or not. Hell just recently PS4 got friend notifications. Nintendo will release NX this year whether the software (system and games) is finished or not, they cannot, cannot miss the Holiday season where people will be spending all their money. If they launch in Q1 they will miss a lot of sales they otherwise would have gotten due to Black Friday and Christmas. They can launch with Zelda and Smash if that's ready.

I really really hope Smash has GC adapter support, it's already programmed into the game, they just have to adjust it for the NX software, which the NX will assuredly have USB ports.

Yep, I totally agreed. It was really confusing when few people called him out and want him to be banned if he's wrong when he's not the leaker. He's just a messenger, like some people here who leaked via as messengers.

What if it's a quote from Emily Rodgers. There are few people that believed that it's Emily Rodgers who said the quote.

Yeah, I said this source could've just copied off of Emily Rodgers. I hope it's true of course. I want to see Nintendo have a system to where they can get third party games like MS and Sony.

MK_768

I see people mentioning a 2017 launch for this thing, I don't think that's a smart idea. PS4 and XB1 were going to launch Winter 2013 whether they were done with the software or not. Hell just recently PS4 got friend notifications. Nintendo will release NX this year whether the software (system and games) is finished or not, they cannot, cannot miss the Holiday season where people will be spending all their money. If they launch in Q1 they will miss a lot of sales they otherwise would have gotten due to Black Friday and Christmas. They can launch with Zelda and Smash if that's ready.

I really really hope Smash has GC adapter support, it's already programmed into the game, they just have to adjust it for the NX software, which the NX will assuredly have USB ports.

Yeah, America is getting it this November. I can see Europe and Japan getting it in December. Maybe Japan gets it later but I don't see it to be honest.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I'm suggesting that NX needs to be competitive specs wise. But even if it is, there are many more challenges for it to makes its stamp. I almost feel like they should weight till this cycle comes to an end before taking another swing.

Can the really afford to go another 3-4 years like this though? The longer they wait, the more their brand will be damaged and the harder it'll be to get third-parties on board. Also, this is competitive spec-wise, is it not? PS4k is a premium product. Matching it does nothing for Nintendo other than increasing the price. PS4k isn't going to get exclusive games or anything, even from Sony itself (unless Sony has gone insane).

Luschient

Just read a rumor of Luigi's Mansion 3 being developed for NX. If this is even remotely true, we'll pick it up day 1. Wife and I still regularly play LM on gamecube. Sucks they never ported dark moon to WiiU.

LordOfChaos

I'm getting so much flashbacks of those Wii U rumors and then turns out it was pretty underpowered.

I know, that's my main fear in getting hyped up.

The Wii U will be 600Gflops, worst case. Based on the Power7, it *must* be powerful. Err, 300, absolute worst case, we know it this time, they can't even order a part less powerful...Aaaand its sub 200.

There were NX rumours that said it would be Power8, lol. It would actually be suboptimal for a game console, as great as it is for extreme throughput datacenters and mainframes (invests a whole lot of transistors into ILP to a degree that games would find very hard to come close to saturating)

Neiteio

So according to these rumors, the NX's gimmick is a GamePad 2.0 that can connect to Wi-Fi hotspots anywhere, access your NX remotely while it's on a standby (maybe even turn it on remotely?), and stream your games so you can play them anywhere?

That's great, although something I probably wouldn't use often since I tend to buy current-gen games at retail, so they wouldn't be loaded on the console for me to access. I buy retail this gen because games are getting too big to keep on my console all at once.

I guess I could leave the game I'm currently playing in the drive and remote play it that way. It's a cool concept, especially for Japan since they prefer to play on the go, anyways.

Best news is Luigi's Mansion 3. Dark Moon looked insane on 3DS, so I can't even begin to imagine how amazing LM3 would look on allegedly PS4K-like hardware in full HD.

ec0ec0

Yep, I totally agreed. It was really confusing when few people called him out and want him to be banned if he's wrong when he's not the leaker. He's just a messenger, like some people here who leaked via as messengers. .

So, even if the info turned out to be fake, the "messenger" would be ok. And i understand that the sources (which had previosly been verified) would be "banned", in the sense that the messenger wouldn't be able to use those same sources again. Is that it?

Meesh

Truth, it's sad really. Sometimes I just can't handle how toxic the comments or atmosphere gets, so I just start avoiding certain threads altogether...too bad as this was one of my fave NX threads.
Here's my write up on these rumors:

NX is more powerful than the PS4: It's doable, and I think it would be smart.
If that turns out too expensive for most consumers, the handheld can be their choice. It's perceived value that Nintendo need to go after.

Wii U remasters: This is something they obviously should do. Not sure if I agree with the rumored choices, but at least Zelda U, Smash, and Mario Maker make sense.

Luigi's Mansion 3: The last game sold very well, I believe there as a rumored LM game for the Wii U, it's probably that like many of the first year titles will likely be.

x86: Don't think so. Nintendo coder wouldn't of mocked the speculations if it was true.

Nobody knows about the handheld: Western 3rd parties never do anything for the handheld so if anyone has it it's probably japanese devs like Namco and Square Enix. It could arrive at a later date as well, but they're not dumping the handheld and putting all their apples into the NX console especially with quotes from Iwata like the systems being "brothers" (can't be brothers if there's only one).

Gamepad 2.0: The gamepad is a great concept, streamlined with better screen tech would result in one of the best controllers out there. Being able to stream anywhere like the Vita could prove to be somewhat of a selling point, but I'm not sure it's worth bundling it in. If it's better tech than the Wii U gamepad then it's likely more expensive. Sell it as an add on later on. If the streaming tech is good enough you could potentially make the handheld like a portable OnLive type device that plays the handheld games. That could maybe work?

NX using fancy cutting edge tech with 14nm thingamabobs: I doubt it. Don't even understand it, but it seems unlikely. Being more powerful than the PS4 is one thing but this sounds like the tech isn't even out yet and it's super expensive. Probably wouldn't even be ready for mass production yet.

NX using Vulkan: I'd hope so. They're part of the group supporting it.

FFXV coming out for the NX: The timing might not add up unless they're content with a late port. They also teased at a special PC showcase, maybe they can use that?

Dev kits not being common until reveal: Sounds about right.

NX launching in different regions at different times: They've done it in the past and Iwata mentioned catering to each region's needs.

Lots of games in development/New IPs: After Splatoon that sounds likely. They also need to make this console work so they need to put in a lot of effort into selling it so hopefully it's true.

Mostly doubt the 14nm thing.
Pretty much how I feel on the rumours as a whole, the voice of balanced reason lol.

If PS4K is announced before the launch of NX, being equal or below PS4 is underpowered compared to the market.
Announced or released? Also wouldn't PS4K be an outlier or only cater to enthusiasts that would rather build a PC (assuming Sony doesn't cut off support for the PS4)?

Wait. Why would Luigi's Mansion 3 mean 3D Mario is further away?
I can't imagine Nintendo releasing/launching with LM3 and 3D Mario at the same time, that's all. I suppose they could launch with 3D Mario and push LM3 back but that doesn't make sense in my mind.

Mory Dunz

No, assuming NLG makes Luigi's Mansion now.

What might make 3D Mario farther away is Zelda releasing in November, and Nintendo potentially wanting to space out 2 heavy hitters. Personally I hope 3D Mairo and Zelda are there for launch.

Then the ports like Smash and Splatoon or whatever can be in the random 2017 months.

Concern that Nintendo wouldn't want to cannibalize sales by putting out a Luigi's Mansion game right next to a Mario platformer. They'd probably rather space them out so that Luigi wouldn't get overlooked.

Kouriozan

The devs won't stop supporting the PS4 1.0 huge userbase, so the NX should be at the very least at the same power as it and be easy to port, otherwise Nintendo will have an hard again.
When Sony will release PS4.8 in 3 years, Nintendo will be able to follow up with NX 1.5.

Edit : yes, I believe generational leap every 5/6 years are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom