• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
If PS4K is announced before the launch of NX, being equal or below PS4 is underpowered compared to the market.

One console that's a premium product for improved VR and most likely won't get any exclusive games = the market.

That's not how I was taught that it works but ok

It's a timeline thing. Both coming out simultaneously would cause huge implications to the lore.

The darkest timeline

Go check the Wii U's OS menu. You can operate it with both.

It is expected. Gamers will complain whenever any control method is not supported. It doesn't change the essence of what I was saying: It was a needlessly complex system to support in most cases. Prior to the Wii U, never had a game needed to display two completely different buttons simultaneously for a the same action at the same time. It's just generally more work than any other platform. Stop trying to find meaningless exceptions in what I'm saying to try and invalidate it.

Prior to the Wii U, no game in existence ever needed to display this kind of atrocity:

maxresdefault.jpg

Tell me that's not more work than having a single controller to support.

I don't even understand your point anymore.

1. No SHIT Nintendo are going to make an effort to support all their controllers.
2. 3rd parties weren't expected to support more than the Wii U's controllers. Supporting the Wii ones was a nice plus, but by no means an expectation

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Announced or released? Also wouldn't PS4K be an outlier or only cater to enthusiasts that would rather build a PC (assuming Sony doesn't cut off support for the PS4)?

Announced, because it will be a known entity. And if it's announced it means it will also release quite soon. As for the second part, see below.

One console that's a premium product for improved VR and most likely won't get any exclusive games = the market.

That's not how I was taught that it works but ok

I'm talking only about being underpowered, not if it will be successful or not. There will be a new standard on the market that will be targeted by the developers. And premium is still within the console market restrictions.

MK_768

I can't imagine Nintendo releasing/launching with LM3 and 3D Mario at the same time, that's all. I suppose they could launch with 3D Mario and push LM3 back but that doesn't make sense in my mind.

okay okay lol. I understand that. I should've elaborated in my first post. I totally get not releasing both LM3 and 3D Mario close together.

My thing was that I dont understand why anyone would think 3D Mario was coming soon where as we can see LM3 be released at launch or in the launch window, ya know? Maybe that's just me. I expect 3D Mario late 2017. I should've made that clear in the post. My apologies.

I thought there was a misconception that the LM3 and 3D Mario was being made by the same developer lol.

Actually LM2 and 3D Land debuted at E3 2011 (technically they first unveiled 3D Land at GDC, but it was fully shown at E3 2011). Only 3D Land came out in Nov where as LM2 came out almost TWO YEARS LATER (after E3 2011)! :p

But yeah, also LM and Sunshine were like 9-10 months apart. I dunno, I kind of think LM3 would be ready for launch where as a 3D Mario might be a mid-late 2017 title? I think putting them out at the same time would be a bad idea, but still...

MuchoMalo

Banned
Announced, because it will be a known entity. And if it's announced it means it will also release quite soon. As for the second part, see below.

I'm talking only about being underpowered, not if it will be successful or not. There will be a new standard on the market that will be targeted by the developers. And premium is still within the console market restrictions.

Will it be the standard or targeted, though? Will third-parties really risk making their games run badly for 60 million people just because there's a shiny new toy on the market that they won't even be allowed to make exclusive games for? I'm not too sure about that, especially if they want their games to have a VR focus.

Mory Dunz

But if Mario is Nov 2017, which it very well may be, what are the big launch games?
Just Zelda U/NX?

I guess Zelda, Pikmin, and Luigi, and the new IP they make, can be a launch lineup.

It's not a gamechanging one though.

okay okay lol. I understand that. I should've elaborated in my first post. I totally get not releasing both LM3 and 3D Mario close together.

My thing was that I dont understand why anyone would think 3D Mario was coming soon where as we can see LM3 be released at launch or in the launch window, ya know? Maybe that's just me. I expect 3D Mario late 2017. I should've made that clear in the post. My apologies.

I thought there was a misconception that the LM3 and 3D Mario was being made by the same developer lol.
lol Don't apologize, my friend. I think my hopes before LM3 was rumored were that Nintendo would have a brand new 3D Mario to launch with the system, just like with the N64 launch. Although I bet Luigi's Mansion could demonstrate some new tech/graphics and really wow people. Personally I loved both Luigi's Mansion games to death.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Will it be the standard or targeted, though? Will third-parties really risk making their games run badly for 60 million people just because there's a shiny new toy on the market that they won't even be allowed to make exclusive games for? I'm not too sure about that, especially if they want their games to have a VR focus.

Most of the games won't target VR though. Especially the AAA games. At least for the next 3-4 years. And when they will target VR, PS4K won't be enough.

But if Mario is Nov 2017, which it very well may be, what are the big launch games?
Just Zelda U/NX?

I guess Zelda, Pikmin, and Luigi, and the new IP they make, can be a launch lineup.

A new Zelda will have a very big impact on a launch console. It's not a game you get every year, it is something special and one of the few game series everyone is waiting for.

Just Zelda U/NX?

Zelda, Pikmin 4, Luigis Manson 3, Smash Bros NX at launch would be a great 1Party-linup. There will be definitely some 3party ports or exclusives too.

Thraktor

It is expected. Gamers will complain whenever any control method is not supported. It doesn't change the essence of what I was saying: It was a needlessly complex system to support in most cases. Prior to the Wii U, never had a game needed to display two completely different buttons simultaneously for a the same action at the same time. It's just generally more work than any other platform. Stop trying to find meaningless exceptions in what I'm saying to try and invalidate it.

Prior to the Wii U, no game in existence ever needed to display this kind of atrocity:

maxresdefault.jpg

See that guy two posts above you who says it's not really a big deal? He's actually released a Wii U game which supports 5 different control types, so I'd be inclined to believe him on that front.

Luigi's Mansion 3 would be one of the best games to showcase this fake 3D tech Nintendo has a patent on, the diorama like rooms would lend themselves to lean left or right to see things from a different angle !

Edit: And I just remembered: The old Iwata asks revealed that NLG supposedly had "another games worth of gameplay ideas".

Luigi's Mansion 2 sold gangbusters for what it was, another one is definitely happening.

Mory Dunz

A new Zelda will have a very big impact on a launch console. It's not a game you get every year, it is something special and one of the few game series everyone is waiting for.

True, I'm just hoping that the extra year has allowed them to "catch up" in performance, IQ on the NX version. I'm expecting the Wii U one to be 720/30. The NX one should be 1080/30. And hopefully it will look like its reveal on the NX.

But even more than the launch is the next 12 months. If that have that launch I specified, and the next year has Smash Port, Splatoon Port, 3D Mario, JP 3rd Patry games like DQ11, maybe a FF, and some western third parties, it could do well enough.

MK_768

lol Don't apologize, my friend. I think my hopes before LM3 was rumored were that Nintendo would have a brand new 3D Mario to launch with the system, just like with the N64 launch. Although I bet Luigi's Mansion could demonstrate some new tech/graphics and really wow people. Personally I loved both Luigi's Mansion games to death.

I would love for a 3D Mario to be launched with a console. Unfortunately, Zelda is coming at launch and Nintendo wouldn't be that crazy lol. Although, I think a lot of people would be hyped about it.

Mory Dunz

Zelda, Pikmin 4, Luigis Manson 3, Smash Bros NX at launch would be a great 1Party-linup. There will be definitely some 3party ports or exclusives too.

I dunno about the selling power of Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion. I'm still not sure what Pikmin's audience is. Does it appeal to Animal Crossing people, or platformer lovers, or more action adventure lovers? Or maybe the more hardcore nintendo fans? Even so, I don't see it as a mover of consoles. And for Luigi's Mansion, it's hard to tell if its exceptional performance on the 3DS was due to the 3DS itself and timing/advertising, or if the IP got a large boost in popularity/noteriety for some reason. I mean, pulling over 1 million in Japan is no small feat nowadays. I'm not even sure FF15 will outsell LM2 in Japan.

True, I'm just hoping that the extra year has allowed them to "catch up" in performance, IQ on the NX version. I'm expecting the Wii U one to be 720/30. The NX one should be 1080/30. And hopefully it will look like its reveal on the NX.

But even more than the launch is the next 12 months. If that have that launch I specified, and the next year has Smash Port, Splatoon Port, 3D Mario, JP 3rd Patry games like DQ11, maybe a FF, and some western third parties, it could do well enough.

Yeah, hope they do it that way and release the NX version in a better resolution, no frame drops and maybe good AA and better effects.
When TP released on GC and Wii the new console wasn't really a performance jump so they weren't really able to make the game visual more impressive. Hope that will change this time.

Nintendo should avoid the same barren months after launch like they had for the Wii U. It was horrible that u had to wait nearly half a year until you got new games which were expected at the launch in the beginning. So they need some third party games to fill the gaps these time or it will be over soon again for their next console.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm getting so much flashbacks of those Wii U rumors and then turns out it was pretty underpowered.

I will never forget those discussions. I think people just need to remember to have zero exception then we wouldn't have to worry about any outcomes.

Right now, I'm just enjoying the discussion and riding on hype train to whatever it take us to. I had no expectation for games and console(s) so I'm pretty excited about where we would stop at our final train station. Would most of us survive the train wreck? Hell, I know I would. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry about double post. My bad!

So, even if the info turned out to be fake, the "messenger" would be ok. And i understand that the sources (which had previosly been verified) would be "banned", in the sense that the messenger wouldn't be able to use those same sources again. Is that it?

Well, we don't know who were the sources so how could we ban those sources? It's impossible when it came from other sites. It's pointless to ban those sources because by the time when we found out about Nintendo NX is when the rumors are going to stop hopefully. Well, there would be rumors about inner console informations but that's all.

I would love for a 3D Mario to be launched with a console. Unfortunately, Zelda is coming at launch and Nintendo wouldn't be that crazy lol. Although, I think a lot of people would be hyped about it.
Imagine this - NX launches on Halloween with Luigi's Mansion 3, then Zelda Wii U/NX for November, and finally Mario Galaxy 3 for the holidays in December.

Then a complete drought until mid-summer 2017.

Woah woah woah, if this is about what I said earlier, I'm not calling for 10k to be banned if this is all bullshit. I'm saying that expect him to be treated harshly if it is. Hence why I said '10k will be toast if this ends up not being real'.

Chill y'all.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The primitive discard accelerator as a major feature seems kind of suspect to me. Most graphics cards have the ability to toss out triangles that are too small or are invisible. They also discard primitives and do depth culling. These have been around for years. If this was going to change the game by allowing software to run better on lower powered graphics cards, why wasn't a bigger deal made out of it at AMD's Polaris reveal? I'm wondering if this is one of those things that sounds good on paper but doesn't amount to much in practice. It's like Nvidia's extra tessellation units that they encouraged developers to use in situations where they offered a very small benefit to the end user but crippled AMD cards to the point that it was a marketing victory.
You're right in assuming techniques to discard primitives have been around since, well, a long time. Degenerate triangles aside, hierarchical z-buffer is the oldest know such technique which can discard full primitives, and it's been with us (occasionally broken and disabled) for more than a decade. Then we've had depth queries (also for quite some time), which further refine primitive discard - actually they can discard arbitrary aggregations of drawings, not just on a primitive level. I'm not familiar with what Polaris brings to the table with its new primitive discard circuitry, so I cannot comment how efficient that can be, but it surely can be useful if not borked somehow.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Most of the games won't target VR though. Especially the AAA games. At least for the next 3-4 years. And when they will target VR, PS4K won't be enough.

And yet you think they'll target PS4k immediately just because it's more powerful...

Or, they could just use PS4k to double the framerate for a better experience in PSVR, which also means less development resources and no risk if screwing over their entire fanbases. Which sounds more likely to you?

I'm not seeing how Wii U and NX are the same thing. The Wii U was Nintendos first HD console and Iwata admitted it caught them off guard so it took time for their own games to release.

The NX is their second HD console and they're way more prepared 4 years later (guess you could say a few years later). Plus, look at the small side games they've made for Wii U like Animal Crossing and Mario Ultra Trash. You have a remake in TPHD and a smaller game in Star Fox Zero (compared to their other bigger franchises). Pokken Tournament was made by Namco. All that leaves is Paper Mario Color Splash which releases later sometime.

I'm very excited and very hyped for NX. I expect Nintendo to come out with a bang of big to mid range games at E3!

Taker666

As long as it's easy to port games at a decent standard from PS4/XB1 to NX..that's all I'd say they need in regards to power. It's not suddenly going to sell to PS4/XB1 owners (or non-owners) because it's 20% more powerful than the PS4...or 20% more powerful than the PS4K for that matter.

The right games, the right gimmick, the right price and the right marketing is what will sell it....and if it sells well, then the right ports will continue to be released... provided it's easy enough to bring them across.

Well, two of those can be played on the Wii U though.

I think what will make this launch strong will be games we don't know about.

Not everyone has a Wii U.

Twilight Princess did better on Wii than on Gamecube. A lot of PS4/XB1 games from 2013 and 2014 were cross-gen, but they all did better on the new hardware.

Zelda will likely be pushed as an NX game with the Wii U version being a consolation prize. In fact the NX version might even be launched first to further seal the deal, as TP was.

But yeah, i'm sure there are unknown games, of course. It's important also not just to have a good launch, but solid momentum. Wii was awesome because it had two great launch games in TP and Wii Sports, and then AMAZING support throughout 2007 with WarioWare, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem 10, Wii Play and Mario Party 8 (maybe not a big deal for hardcore players, but big for casuals), Battalion Wars, numerous other third-party games, and then culminating in Mario Galaxy.

Neoxon

Go check the Wii U's OS menu. You can operate it with both.

maxresdefault.jpg

That still doesn't change the fact that multiple control methods are sometimes necessary, especially with Smash where you need a wired controller like the GameCube controller to be competitive.

Mory Dunz

As long as it's easy to port games at a decent standard from PS4/XB1 to NX..that's all I'd say they need in regards to power. It's not suddenly going to sell to PS4/XB1 owners (or non-owners) because it's 20% more powerful than the PS4...or 20% more powerful than the PS4K for that matter.

The right games, the right gimmick, the right price and the right marketing is what will sell it.

They also have to convince third parties to port those games. Even if the power is there.
I'm not in the backrooms, so I have no idea how that works. Money?

Imagine this - NX launches on Halloween with Luigi's Mansion 3, then Zelda Wii U/NX for November, and finally Mario Galaxy 3 for the holidays in December.

Then a complete drought until mid-summer 2017.

Sure there's some leeway with ports from Wii U to come out at launch, but Nintendo has announced 1st party AAA games in the past coming out in the same quarter(the Wii), but it never happened.. It honestly makes a lot more sense NOT to put all your golden eggs in one basket.

I can see Zelda U, Smash 4(or another port straight from wii u) Personally I think another AAA game would be a bit much to release on the same quarter. Nintendo sure as hell didn't release more than one AAA first party game at launch with the Wii and Wii U.

sfried

They also have to convince third parties to port those games. Even if the power is there.
I'm not in the backrooms, so I have no idea how that works. Money?

A shitload of money. And maybe a threat to sic the ninjas on them.

At this point they need to build a huge install base ans secure exclusivity deals.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Luigi's Mansion is fantastic, but not really a surprise.

Luigi's Mansion/Luigi Mansion shipped 3.33 million

Lmbox.jpg

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon/Luigi Mansion 2/Luigi's Mansion 2 (yes it has a different title in every major region) has sold through 4.75 million units

Luigi's_Mansion_Dark_Moon_(Boxart).png

It's a rather prominent seller, if you count the Pokemon games as 1 title, it's the 9th best-selling 3DS game! Give it the #5 slot on GameCube. Granted, that is assuming that no 3rd party title sold that many units on those systems alone.

Mory Dunz

Luigi's Mansion is fantastic, but not really a surprise.

Luigi's Mansion shipped 3.33 million

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Lmbox.jpg[/IMGs]

[URL="https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html"]Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon/Luigi Mansion 2/Luigi's Mansion 2 (yes it has a different title in every major region) has sold through 4.75 million units[/URL]
[/QUOTE]

Was LM1 bundled at all?

FyreWulff

Was LM1 bundled at all?

Nope, I believe the first ever official bundle for the GameCube was the Mario Sunshine bundle.

I remember that shit because the Platinum came out right after that as a "limited edition" which I bought (first console bought with my own money!) and then they re-released it later as a Melee bundle : p

Peterc

The current ps4?
'Both NX and PS4K are gonna be expensive' - Tenkay23 on Reddit.

Current ps4 price was 399$ maybe even more at launch. Still cost 344$ so if nx is better why should it be cheaper? 399$ is 3y ago. Everything getting more expensive. Iphone 6plus was about 800$. Think 399$ will be a good price.

Gizuko

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/...e-broken-planet-juego-que-huele-nx-18149.html

Revogamers is also seemingly reporting the Raiders of the Broken Planet on NX rumor, but it's in Spanish so I can't tell if they're sourcing 10k or if they have their own source, or anything.

Anyone that can read Spanish be willing to summarize this article please? :)

Edit: Found it on Go Nintendo BTW.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/256049-rumor-mercurysteam-s-raiders-of-the-broken-planet-heading-to

They are sourcing MercurySteam. I'll read it more carefully in a bit, BT the very first sentence basically says MercurySteam has claimed to be developing RotBP for the NX.

Edit: apparently they aren't. It says a bit further that "their sources claim". Damn, this isn't loading properly in my tablet, I'll give it a careful read in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom