• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galang

Banned
Sure, but I'm putting my money more on the "later" side of things. If the port has enough new content then it basically WILL be Smash 5 anyway.

Agreed. Anyone expecting Smash 5 anytime soon is in for a disappointment. I don't even see the point to launch a completely new one on NX when they can just keep adding characters and tweeks. Sooner or later people will get tired, but I don't think the jump in power is enough to justify a new game just yet. The follow up would have to be more than just the same game because there's no way they would be able to match the amount of content as 4. I'd say 5 is the game where they take the series in an entirely different direction

Banned
200flops is not what you would call a decent increase .
If it suppose to be noticeably better it should at least be how PS4 is comapre to X1.
Which should not cost that much to tell the truth .
Like I said, I'm not a dev, I just forwarded information I was given from people who want to remain anonymous or couldn't post due to risking their jobs.

10K, could you ask your sources when exactly TimeSplitters 4 and Beyond Good & Evil 2 will release?

Thanks
When Trump comes to Obama's defences.

bman94

If true it'll be real shitty to have the majority of launch games a bunch of remasters that we've already played. And it's not like those remasters would really have new content either.

They outsourced parts of smash to Namco Bandai

Parts? Brawl and Smash 4 were both developed by Sora, Sakurai's dev house/contract firm who hired Bandai Namco for the actual development. Even Melee and 64 were developed by HAL. Smash has always been outsourced

If true it'll be real shitty to have the majority of launch games a bunch of remasters that we've already played. And it's not like those remasters would really have new content either.

What? We know nothing about the other potential launch titles. You realize the Wii U launched with 20+ games in the US and Europe and 11 in Japan. 2-4 titles is no where near the majority of any potential console launch

TheFatMan

Considering how few people purchased the WiiU, Nintendo would be stupid to NOT port half there previous game lineup to the NX. It just makes sense financially.

Shauni

I'm not sure how to respond to this, really...

I mean, if you're not seing why Nintendo investing a ton of R&D, budget, and physical capital (on Sakurai's part), Sakurai openly expressing that he's getting old, can't work on the series forever, and the sheer amount of content both at and post-launch, plus himself expressing how much he dislikes starting from scratch each time because it's such a waste of time from a development point of view and leads to popular things getting cut miiight be putting the state of this model into question a bit, then to be honest I really have no idea what to say. Sure, they could ignore that and press on, but I just don't think that'd be smart considering how long that'd take compared to just working with what they have. I simply think it's best for the series to evolve instead of thinking they have to waste time and resources reinventing the wheel every time, and there are reasons I believe that.

Let me try and find another analogy... Compare Square Enix's woes last gen when they insisted on starting from scratch and developing FFXIII and Versus XIII with their own custom engine, to now when they're just doing everything in Unreal. Which worked out better for them in terms of public perception and the ability to put out games on a reasonable timeframe?

I think this post works well for why you personally think Smash (and games in general, I suppose?) should become a service, but I don't think it really adds much to why you think it actually is, which seems to be what you've been arguing. Unless I've just totally misread what you've been saying and this has all been what you personally want to see happen.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177810233&postcount=3241

okay so at least i got the mario maker, splatoon, and smash parts right.

oh and zelda of course. zelda was confirmed the moment they announced the delay.

You were right about it getting the 2016 Assassin's Creed game too! :D

I think this post works well for why you personally think Smash (and games in general, I suppose?) should become a service, but I don't think it really adds much to why you think it actually is, which seems to be what you've been arguing. Unless I've just totally misread what you've been saying and this has all been what you personally want to see happen.

It's what I think should happen. I'm not sure if it will. But it'd be dumb if Nintendo simply put out a straight port and nothing else, and I don't see a ground-up Smash 5 any time soon. That's all.

nron10

Neo Member
Hey all - I'm the guy who backtracked on the NX ports after agreeing with most of what was first said.

First off, was never confident in Splatoon/Mario Maker, for the reasons 10K cited (bringing the user base over). Second, as this started blowing up after Emily Rogers/10K posted about it, I was contacted by a source that said, in so few words, that none of these ports were locked in. Doesn't mean they won't happen; just that they aren't absolutely positively beyond-the-shadow-of-a-doubt happening. Sorry if it came off "fishy" or anything.

Personally (and this isn't backed by sources or rumors)? I think Zelda NX will totally happen. I also think Smash Bros NX is too good of an idea for Nintendo to pass up. I'd rather see Splatoon/Mario Maker sequels on NX than ports.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I can't wait for 6 months of ports before we consistently get new games :(

AzaK

But that doesn't sit with what you said,

How better CPU, GPU and RAM than PS4 but only 8gb ram and 2tf?

This is the important thing. If it's 20% faster I don't think it'll help them at all; especially with PS4K coming.

It needs to be 50+% to not only look amazing but to keep pace with 4K imaginings that are going on in people's heads right now.

If they're legitimately releasing a console noticeably better than the PS4 this year, then it will be north of $300.

Or, they can eat some of the costs and launch this baby at $299, which would be a megaton.

I think if they want to see Wii-like sales again, it needs to be $299

Banned
Hey all - I'm the guy who backtracked on the NX ports after agreeing with most of what was first said.

First off, was never confident in Splatoon/Mario Maker, for the reasons 10K cited (bringing the user base over). Second, as this started blowing up after Emily Rogers/10K posted about it, I was contacted by a source that said, in so few words, that none of these ports were locked in. Doesn't mean they won't happen; just that they aren't absolutely positively beyond-the-shadow-of-a-doubt happening. Sorry if it came off "fishy" or anything.

Personally (and this isn't backed by sources or rumors)? I think Zelda NX will totally happen. I also think Smash Bros NX is too good of an idea for Nintendo to pass up. I'd rather see Splatoon/Mario Maker sequels on NX than ports.
Interesting. My sources were very adamant on Zelda and smash. They weren't 100% on Mario maker and Splatoon. But Zelda was almost certainly delayed for NX and smash is too big of an investment and amiibo seller to die on the Wii U. And Sakurai is in no condition for a smash 5, which wouldn't be ready any time soon anyway.

Reading some of these posts and seeing the revisionist history is fascinating. It's only been 2.5 years since PS4's shit tier launch with its killer apps being Remasters, Knack and Killzone.

Props to Xbox One for having OS features working from day one like friends online notifications, appearing offline, and a killer launch lineup of exclusives at the time (Ryse, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3).

Shauni

It's what I think should happen. I'm not sure if it will. But it'd be dumb if Nintendo simply put out a straight port and nothing else, and I don't see a ground-up Smash 5 any time soon. That's all.

Okay well, that's fine then. You've not done the best in representing that, because I was under the impression the whole time you were convinced this was happening. I disagree that it's dumb for the reasons I posted before, but you ignore those so I'm assuming you disagree with them. I also don't think 4-5 years after the last entry is soon for most, but that's subjective I guess.

Neiteio

Interesting. My sources were very adamant on Zelda and smash. They weren't 100% on Mario maker and Splatoon. But Zelda was almost certainly delayed for NX and smash is too big of an investment and amiibo seller to die on the Wii U. And Sakurai is in no condition for a smash 5, which wouldn't be ready any time soon anyway.
So from the sounds of it, Smash NX is just a straight port of the WiiU version?

Thanks for the heads-up, it's appreciated.

Hmm. Yeah, I still think Zelda and SSB are definitely happening. Mario Maker would make sense. Splatoon can go either way.

Okay well, that's fine then. You've not done the best in representing that, because I was under the impression the whole time you were convinced this was happening. I disagree that it's dumb for the reasons I posted before, but you ignore those so I'm assuming you disagree with them. I also don't think 4-5 years after the last entry is soon for most, but that's subjective I guess.

Fair enough then, je pense.

I have a WiiU but never got around to getting Splatoon. It looks like an amazingly fun game, but for me, the truth is I didn't want to spend money on a platform which was clearly dying (and I realize that attitude wasn't helping the platform).

However, if they have a Splatoon port for NX, I'll be there day one. Same with Mario Maker.

If they made those titles cross-play with WiiU that would be a great gesture and would also really help day one player bases as well as content in Mario Maker. While to some people who have played those both to death, I think it would really help sell the NX to more people since many missed out for one reason or another. Please be real!

Shauni

Smash 4 has been very successful on the Wii U and 3DS (the latter of which everyone seems to forgot exists on message boards), so the idea that it would be dead without a NX port is so silly. Unless we are to think every game now that doesn't get a remaster port is "dead."

AniHawk

This is the important thing. If it's 20% faster I don't think it'll help them at all; especially with PS4K coming.

It needs to be 50+% to not only look amazing but to keep pace with 4K imaginings that are going on in people's heads right now.

seriously, i don't think nintendo can compete with the way i'm imagining ps4k.

nron10

Neo Member

The Mario Maker/Splatoon stuff strikes me as a "let's see if this is easy to do, and then maybe we do it?"

Zelda/Smash make all the sense in the world (for the reasons you cite). I'm just at a spot where, from what I've heard, I don't feel confident in being like "yup. Absolute certainty." I still think both will hit NX, though.

Pretty much everything else you listed adds up with the murmurs I've heard. Just with all the fake shit out there, I'm super wary if there's even a nugget of doubt.

Omzz

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Smash skipped the NX gen and we just get a remaster with additional features. I'm totally fine with that

Anth0ny

I think we'd all rather see sequels than ports, but it's a matter of taking two of the most beloved Wii U games, both barely a year old when NX launches, and putting them somewhere where they can thrive for another few years rather than die with the zombie of a console that is Wii U. More people who blew off Wii U would be exposed to these great games, and it's a great way for Nintendo to pad out their launch (window) lineup, something they've had great trouble with EVERY CONSOLE LAUNCH. Not to mention how cheap and easy it is to port an old game rather than build a new one from the ground up.

I really think they need these ports. PS4 and Xbone proved it's a winning strategy.

The obvious answer is time.

A Splatoon sequel is absolutelly coming at some point.
But in terms of online games they usually only do one per a generation. So if they do a Splatoon port then I'd be worried of no sequel. I guess the sequel could be handheld exclusive tho but I don't see that happening either.

Who says a smash port wouldn't have new characters? Seems like the simplest addition the port could make to add a nice selling point
Well the rumor says port. If it has new characters it wouldn't be a port, but a new game. Thats what I'm basing it on. Obviously if its a new game it would likely be a direct port of the WiiU game with new characters/stages/modes, but if a rumor says "port" that makes me think of a actual port since if it had new characters that would not be a port to me, even if its still mostly a port, but instead I would consider it a new game, even if characters were the only difference.

I'm probably getting too hung up on the use of the word port tho. Best to wait to e3. Hope for new characters since it will...should mean Inklings are a lock.

I'm very pleased with these rumors. I know enthusiasts hate the concept of diminishing returns, but that's about where I'm at with the PS4. PS3/360 generation had a bunch of games that still looked horrible on my television (that's why I found Wii U so technologically disappointing), but I've been a happy camper with PS4. Obviously there are more gains to be had, but if NX can hit and surpass that baseline, I will be set for a generation. In light of Nintendo's rapidly improving infrastructure, I think we're in for a few great years.

-Horizon-

Zelda and smash I think are gonna happen. MM and Splatoon though. Eh. I'd rather get a sequel to Splatoon as well. But I don't think Mario maker will ever get a sequel.

bman94

What? We know nothing about the other potential launch titles. You realize the Wii U launched with 20+ games in the US and Europe and 11 in Japan. 2-4 titles is no where near the majority of any potential console launch

Speaking strictly first party wise. Based solely on the rumors we have none of them has yet to talk about a new NX project. So far we have possibilities of 4 ports of Wii U titles. And if it's anything like the Wii U launch there's gonna be a lot of low effort 3rd party ports at launch.

Considering how few people purchased the WiiU, Nintendo would be stupid to NOT port half there previous game lineup to the NX. It just makes sense financially.

I guess you're right, but buying a bunch of games I already played isn't making me want to buy the NX day one if this is true.

How are you jumping to conclusions?

I'm not, I'm just assuming using the current rumor information that we got.

Wait...how can you believe Zelda's a sure thing if you also believe your source's info is worth reporting on?

If you think your source is wrong, why report it at all?

DigSCCP

In order for the PS4K to be a huge factor, the PS4 is going to need to be displaced - immediately - and everyone that bought one would have to be ignored. This also assumes that developers and consumers are going to embrace an incremental, unnecessary upgrade, and that all future games are going to put in the work to make a PS4K version worthwhile. The only way the NX could be put in a "Wii U situation" with the assumed level of power from the rumors is if Sony outright kills the original PS4 and there is no pushback.

Or basically a fairy tale.

Why?
I see both of them the NX and the 4K as iterations of this generation.
Maybe its a new gen for Nintendo, but is not for the whole industry...
Why people would not embrace the 4K but magically would embrace the NX?
They will share the same games - probably some will skip the NX - as the PS4.
PS4, PS4K and NX belong to the same gen.
People will choose wich one fits better based on: price, power and games.
Price is already on PS4 OG hands.
Power will be at PS4K hands.
And games is a hard discussion I prefer not enter.

AntMurda

Zelda and smash I think are gonna happen. MM and Splatoon though. Eh. I'd rather get a sequel to Splatoon as well. But I don't think Mario maker will ever get a sequel.

How does Mario Maker need a sequel? All it needs are small dlc updates and access to UGC. There's like a million levels already.

Instro

200flops is not what you would call a decent increase .
If it suppose to be noticeably better it should at least be how PS4 is comapre to X1.
Which should not cost that much to tell the truth .

Realistically you'd also be seeing the benefits from GCN 1.2 in addition to whatever raw power the gpu has.

Nanashrew

Banned
Sony even couldn't go without ports. Nintendo will have ports too and to fill out gaps just like Sony did.

I think we're getting too hung up on that and getting hyperbolic that the NX will be some port machine only.

ozfunghi

What are you expecting from PS4K? Do you expect Sony to split their userbase? Also, as it stands, PS4K is rumored to not upgrade the CPU, which was the bottleneck in the first place. Personally i'd take a +/-30% upgrade across the board, than a 100% upgrade on only the GPU.

Either Sony will treat the PS4K as a PS5 and split the userbase, in which case they have a different problem on their hands. Or they won't and then the basic PS4 will likely be dragging the PS4K down since games need to be made still with PS4 in mind.

Protann

If NX is on par with PS4, Nintendo isn't going to be sweating the PS4K/XBone2, at least for a few years. 3rd party developers are still going to focus on the huge install bases of the regular PS4/Xbones for a good long while before they start focusing on the upgraded machines. If PS4K means they're ditching the idea of 'new consoles' and are just going to keep releasing new PS4 revisions, that means developers are still going to be making games with the regular PS4/Xbones (and therefore NX) in mind for a far longer time than they would have if a PS5 came out in 2018/2019.

They really should not even try.
With PS4K Sony will have two tiers high end and low end .
Nintendo going to be stuck in the middle unless they want out price there self out of the market .
So it's best from them to bring out the system they want and not worry about anything else.

Ahab

Banned
Smash NX better be an ultimate edition with 3DS, Wii U and DLC content all together.

Anyone expecting new content is setting themselves up for disappointment. Sakurai isn't involved with Smash 4 anymore so there's no reason to expect new characters/3DS version content being ported over. It'll most likely just be a straight port of the Wii U version with the DLC included.

Speaking strictly first party wise. Based solely on the rumors we have none of them has yet to talk about a new NX project. So far we have possibilities of 4 ports of Wii U titles. And if it's anything like the Wii U launch there's gonna be a lot of low effort 3rd party ports at launch.

Probably because the biggest new Nintendo games are under wraps, or under even stricter/scarier NDAs. We haven't heard anyone talk about the controller either, but clearly it won't be the same as the gamepad, nor have we heard anyone talk about the handheld, but we know one is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom