• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnWake

If Nintendo let Tantalus (a western company) port Twilight Princess, I don't think it's inconceivable that they'd get a leaky western company to port Splatoon and Mario Maker in order to free up staff at EPD. Not sure how likely that it would be, but it's possible.

Tantalus never leaked anything other than the fact that they were handling a port so, in the unlikely case you mention, the NDA would be brutal haha.

reKon

Banned
And GAF told me that I'm losing by not buying a Nintendo Wii U immediately because it has games I want to play. Looks more and more like I'm winning. Give me that Smash!

Oddduck

How does Mario Maker need a sequel? All it needs are small dlc updates and access to UGC. There's like a million levels already.

I don't see how Mario Maker needs a sequel either.

They can keep releasing DLC for years and years for a game like that.

I'm down. Drop the date and price Nintendo and I'll be there. The thought of quality Nintendo games with ps4 graphics is mouthwatering.

NateDrake

Mario Maker should come pre-installed on NX and get updates throughout the generation adding new content and features. System-seller and an awesome game that everyone will have.

Instro

seriously, i don't think nintendo can compete with the way i'm imagining ps4k.

I wouldn't expect so. The PS4k has the benefit of additional time, and being able to jump to 14nm which opens up greater performance possibilities. Barring any weirdness with some of those Nintendo patents of course.

bman94

Probably because the biggest new Nintendo games are under wraps, or under even stricter/scarier NDAs. We haven't heard anyone talk about the controller either, but clearly it won't be the same as the gamepad, nor have we heard anyone talk about the handheld, but we know one is coming

I guess you're right. I guess I should say I'm not excited by these rumors. I want new innovative stuff from Nintendo.

Totally. I apologized earlier but this baby is going fast.

I agree; I'm figuring the Wii U version will be 720p and the NX 1080p. Not expecting a framerate increase, but would love if it did happen.

I'd be fine with that as long as we get some upgrades like the LOD distance being pushed further out, maybe higher res textures and shadows, denser foliage and maybe a few extra effects placed on top.

Sterok

Tantalus never leaked anything other than the fact that they were handling a port so, in the unlikely case you mention, the NDA would be brutal haha.

Right, but it's far more believable that a western company working on Mario Maker or Splatoon would leak dev troubles than EPD. But as mentioned earlier it would be very un-Nintendo like for a western company to be handling those two, so who knows where that information would come from.

Sheroking

I guess you're right. I guess I should say I'm not excited by these rumors. I want new innovative stuff from Nintendo.

The problem with "new innovative" things is you need the software support to get anything out of them. The GamePad has very little reason to exist, and the best uses of the Wii Remote were subtle and, honestly, unnecessary.

You can do something new without having it be expensive, forcing them to use cheaper components to sell at a good price. I'd like to see them focus on being innovative on a software level instead of a hardware level.

Sony even couldn't go without ports. Nintendo will have ports too and to fill out gaps just like Sony did.

I think we're getting too hung up on that and getting hyperbolic that the NX will be some port machine only.

Agree. There are still many things we don't know, but what we do know is that many developers in Nintendo are busy. EPD Tokyo is doing a 3D action game that is probably Mario. Animal Crossing / Splatoon team must be working on the next AC or Splatoon. Even Retro is workin on sth for a long time that we still know nothing.

Many leaks are about ports, but this does not mean we are going to only get ports from Nintendo. And most importantly, these three games (other than Zelda which I am not going to judge it is good or not) are damn good games, and I will happily buy them all if they are upgraded or have mew content.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If NX is on par with PS4, Nintendo isn't going to be sweating the PS4K/XBone2, at least for a few years. 3rd party developers are still going to focus on the huge install bases of the regular PS4/Xbones for a good long while before they start focusing on the upgraded machines. If PS4K means they're ditching the idea of 'new consoles' and are just going to keep releasing new PS4 revisions, that means developers are still going to be making games with the regular PS4/Xbones (and therefore NX) in mind for a far longer time than they would have if a PS5 came out in 2018/2019.

Not that I disagree but this argument is made every single cycle when a latecomer arrives with similar / worse hardware. Breaking the cycle has to be the goal.

Ahab

Banned

I would take a fully features sequel with a shitload of new content (e.g. shit from SMB2, the Mario Lands, and the Advance games) than having a slow trickle of new features like they're doing now. Or reinvent the entire wheel with a sequel and make one for the 3D Marios. Anything besides using the game as a "platform" that some people are suggesting.

Aroll

Right, but it's far more believable that a western company working on Mario Maker or Splatoon would leak dev troubles than EPD. But as mentioned earlier it would be very un-Nintendo like for a western company to be handling those two, so who knows where that information would come from.

Considering the ongoing support from the teams those games have had the last year - if those ports are happening it's definitely the teams who created them doing it. And I am guessing for a game like smash, the port job probably isn't hard anyways. But Mario Maker may be a challenge if a touch screen isn't included. Can be done, just have to do a lot of controller tweaks.

Schnozberry

Mario Maker should come pre-installed on NX and get updates throughout the generation adding new content and features. System-seller and an awesome game that everyone will have.

This would be great if it were possible. It seems like it would be a real challenge to port over the controls to something other than a tablet, but I admire them for trying.

I think it would be amazing if anybody could sign in from a tablet for phone and make levels with a My Nintendo account, but the only way to play them would be on NX or Wii U.

imjust1n

Banned
So....this is just going to be a cooler looking wiiU that can do better graphic with a better name? I thought it was going to be a hybrid that made me excited but now that is a "myth" and never was going to happen it makes me sad. What is Nintendo going to do with their 3ds lineup? There really is nothing big coming out of Nintendo from 3ds this year except FEF and BSEL other than those 2 right now thats it. I was hoping for a hybrid so we got a brand new system but maybe it will be coming next year that will work with the NX?

Anyone expecting new content is setting themselves up for disappointment. Sakurai isn't involved with Smash 4 anymore so there's no reason to expect new characters/3DS version content being ported over. It'll most likely just be a straight port of the Wii U version with the DLC included.

He DID say that though he enjoyed his vacation, his next project is lined up..... :O

Anyway there's evidence for both reasons. I do think most feel that a straight port, no questions asked, would be a missed opportunity.

G0523

I hope there will be some incentive for picking up those remasters. Especially those of us who bought all the DLC (Looking at you, Smash Bros.).

KingBroly

Banned

I have a hard time believing Tantalus would be allowed to touch Mario Maker, Smash 4 or Splatoon. They just seem too wrapped up in the Nintendo hierarchy to allow an outside team to be involved with it.

TP being done by them actually makes SOME sense since Zelda is actually popular outside of Japan, like Metroid (although they don't even care enough to develop games for that one anymore). And TPHD was the first Zelda game developed by a western company (barring the CD-i games, but fuck those).

atbigelow

I'd be fine with that as long as we get some upgrades like the LOD distance being pushed further out, maybe higher res textures and shadows, denser foliage and maybe a few extra effects placed on top.

Agreed. Wasn't trying to say that was purely the only update.

If the NX PS4+ level chops, they can do a lot more. Assuming their engine is able to scale up that way.

Griss

Well, one thing's for sure - I won't be buying Splatoon until after E3 to make sure it's not coming to NX.

I already own Smash and Mario Maker, and I'm not sure if I could bring myself to rebuy them again for full price. Smash... maybe.

For Smash, there would need to be some hook. The game already looks great at 1080p/60fps, so it would need to be something like one of the following:
-Better character models (this is very possible, as presumably the models as originally developed would be much higher quality before being scaled down for LoD etc.)
-New characters / stages (less likely, but Nintendo have to know that it would help sell copies)
-A new multiplayer mode, or rejigged Classic mode (this is the one thing that would do it for me. single player in smash wii u was pretty terrible)
-New music, trophies and other side content (very likely)

Pretty much all my Wii U games are digital, so I'd love if they gave us some discount, but I can't see how they could possibly do that without utterly enraging physical buyers.

AntMurda

Considering the ongoing support from the teams those games have had the last year - if those ports are happening it's definitely the teams who created them doing it. And I am guessing for a game like smash, the port job probably isn't hard anyways. But Mario Maker may be a challenge if a touch screen isn't included. Can be done, just have to do a lot of controller tweaks.

Yup. Both games would be ported by the active teams that have continued working on continuous dlc. Just don't expect the art to be redone.

Tantalus could port some Wii / Wii U classic over though in 2017. Maybe F-Zero GX if Nintendo doesn't commission a new one.

Ahab

Banned
He DID say that though he enjoyed his vacation, his next project is lined up..... :O

Anyway there's evidence for both reasons. I do think most feel that a straight port, no questions asked, would be a missed opportunity.

Sakurai needs to work on something new and not Smash for the umpteenth time. Smash 4 is good but could have been significantly better, it's time for a new director to take the helms.

ozfunghi

Not that I disagree but this argument is made every single cycle when a latecomer arrives with similar / worse hardware. Breaking the cycle has to be the goal.

How can this argument be made every single time, when it's the first time a home console gets an upgrade like this, halfway through the cycle? The PS4K is basically a good thing, because it will keep PS4 games relevant for longer while pushing the PS5 back further. If Sony fails on both those accounts, they'd be pissing off the PS4(K) userbase(s).

Crayolan

Fracture? How so?
The rumor states they're working to get the NX port to work with the Wii U version.
If anything, they'll make the pool even bigger.

The way I see it, the more people buy Splatoon on NX, the fewer people buy Splatoon 2 on NX. Sure, they're making the pool bigger, but they're doing it for the wrong game.

Also having a Splatoon game already on the system gives them an excuse to hold off on Splatoon 2 for another year or two when I'd rather they'd already be working on it. >_>

Red Devil

If NX is on par with PS4, Nintendo isn't going to be sweating the PS4K/XBone2, at least for a few years. 3rd party developers are still going to focus on the huge install bases of the regular PS4/Xbones for a good long while before they start focusing on the upgraded machines. If PS4K means they're ditching the idea of 'new consoles' and are just going to keep releasing new PS4 revisions, that means developers are still going to be making games with the regular PS4/Xbones (and therefore NX) in mind for a far longer time than they would have if a PS5 came out in 2018/2019.

Well according the rumour it's more powerful than PS4, however I am not sure that has any semblance on what developers will do anymore.

Strange of the remasters there's no mention of Mario Kart 8 since that's game that still has an active community and sold very well.

Griss

Sakurai needs to work on something new and not Smash for the umpteenth time. Smash 4 is good but could have been significantly better, it's time for a new director to take the helms.

That's one part of the equation. The other is that the last time he did something else, he made a wildly original handheld masterpiece.

Let's see what he can do when set free again.

-Horizon-

Well according the rumour it's more powerful than PS4, however I am not sure that has any semblance on what developers will do anymore.

Strange of the remasters there's no mention of Mario Kart 8 since that's game that still has an active community and sold very well.
Maybe too close to Mario kart 9?

Protann

Ditching the handheld isn't the worst move IMO. Nothing is going to bring people back from smartphones and tablets at this point, It's kind of a lost cause.

SJRB

Gold Member
More powerful than a console that released three years ago is not really aiming for the stars, now is it.

Neiteio

Yes yes YES

I think this is the single most brilliant thing Nintendo could do

Many lapsed or casual gamers still have fond associations of Nintendo as the "Mario Machine," so a system that comes preinstalled with the ability to make levels just like they remember them on SMB1, SMB3, etc, would be mighty appealing

Some might say, "Then why hasn't it helped move WiiUs," but I think the key difference is it would be pre-installed — no extra expense or hassle beyond buying the machine itself

Oh no, I agree I'd love to see Sakurai do something new.

He said he found the DLC experience to be relatively-relaxed compared to the main game and he enjoyed working with the new characters, so I guess there's that. Assuming Namco does the grunt work of porting and programming and he's just there to do the creative side of new content and whatnot, that's probably not so bad a workload, I guess.

I'm thinking at the very least it'll be Wii U with all DLC but I'm hoping for a couple new characters, maybe a stage, some trophies/music/other cosmetics, etc. At least for launch. That should be manageable, I'd think.

That really would be an awesome thing to do. Having Mario Maker as a "pre-installed app" native to every system? BIG perk for a lot of people.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo would need to try really hard to release a system less capable than another system released 3 years ago.

bman94

The problem with "new innovative" things is you need the software support to get anything out of them. The GamePad has very little reason to exist, and the best uses of the Wii Remote were subtle and, honestly, unnecessary.

You can do something new without having it be expensive, forcing them to use cheaper components to sell at a good price. I'd like to see them focus on being innovative on a software level instead of a hardware level.

I agree that you can be innovative on a software level but I don't think their hardware innovation was unnecessary. Kid Icarus Uprising is a thrill with the 3D on full blast on the 3DS. Super Mario Maker would be a cumbersome nightmare without the gamepad. Nintendo Land is a ton of fun with friends because of the Gamepad. Splatoon feels extremely natural with the Gamepad and I really wouldn't want to play it without it. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is also great because if the Gamepad. And I'm totally hyped for Star Fox Zero because of the Gamepad. I haven't had any interest in the series until I saw the Gamepad integration.

I'd be very excited for a Nintendo system that is more powerful. All I want from them is a classic game console like Sony and Microsoft have.

KingBroly

Banned
Ditching the handheld isn't the worst move IMO. Nothing is going to bring people back from smartphones and tablets at this point, It's kind of a lost cause.

It just means that the handheld is either in different hands or not as soon as some would like to think it is.

AniHawk

They really should not even try.
With PS4K Sony will have two tiers high end and low end .
Nintendo going to be stuck in the middle unless they want out price there self out of the market .
So it's best from them to bring out the system they want and not worry about anything else.

basically this. the industry has shown that it only supports either a high end platform or a low end platform and absolutely nothing in between. it's too bad nintendo specced it right between the two, otherwise it would have gotten some third-party support. now, i'm pretty sure developers are scared of putting games on some weird 'middle' platform. they basically have to make a brand new thing from scratch just to hit nintendo's weird target.

Anth0ny

I wonder if they could make a Mario Maker port for NX where your phone or tablet acts as a Wii U gamepad.

I feel like that would be less problematic than actually allowing the NX to be compatible with the Wii U gamepad itself lol.

Ahab

Banned

The 3DS sold 50+ million units and is still selling, they'd be incredibly stupid to ditch a dedicated handheld device.

Not to mention the death of handhelds means AA/middleware games like Zero Escape and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy flat out wouldn't exist or would be relegated to smartphones, which nobody wants. That would be horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom