• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protann

Well according the rumour it's more powerful than PS4, however I am not sure that has any semblance on what developers will do anymore.

Strange of the remasters there's no mention of Mario Kart 8 since that's game that still has an active community and sold very well.

If the powergap between NX and PS4 is as small as the powergap between PS4 and XBone, it probably won't mean much. But wouldn't it be wild to see Nintendo do some crazy shit like doubling the power to make it competitive with the 'next' generation that they might have assumed was coming a few years after NX?

Instro

Ditching the handheld isn't the worst move IMO. Nothing is going to bring people back from smartphones and tablets at this point, It's kind of a lost cause.

I think it's best to assume that a handheld is still coming, just not now. Probably next year sometime. Too many jdevs still rely on that kind of hardware, and it's still a pretty profitable business even at lowered expectations.

Neiteio

Nintendo would need to try really hard to release a system less capable than another system released 3 years ago.
*Shigeru Miyamoto reads this comment and furrows his brow. He rolls back in his computer chair and howlers down the hall to Kimishima, who is playing ping-pong with Reggie*

SM: "Yo Kimi, GAF thinks we can't make a weak-ass console"

*Kimi drops his paddle and turns around, letting the ball whiz past. Reggie fist-pumps in triumph.*

K: "So that's what they think, eh?"

SM: "Yep. They think we'd have to try to make a console weaker than something three years ago."

K: "They think we'd have to try, huh? That it'd be a struggle?"

R: "Uh oh."

K: "Well we'll show them! Quick — call R&D. We're making NX so fucking weak it can't bench-press a q-tip!"

KingBroly

Banned
Just as my own personal guess/prediction, I think Sakurai's working on F-Zero next. He's probably the only person who could get something like that greenlit nowadays. Plus it feels like something he wants to do.

Neiteio

Just as my own personal guess/prediction, I think Sakurai's working on F-Zero next. He's probably the only person who could get something like that greenlit nowadays. Plus it feels like something he wants to do.
are you saying this based solely on one cheeky remark Sakurai made in a Miiverse post asking when Captain Falcon would get a new game

Ahab

Banned
I wonder if they could make a Mario Maker port for NX where your phone or tablet acts as a Wii U gamepad.

I feel like that would be less problematic than actually allowing the NX to be compatible with the Wii U gamepad itself lol.

That flat out wouldn't work nearly as well. One of the best features in Mario Maker is that you can play your levels anytime throughout the design process with the traditional controls on the Gamepad. You could design a course on a tablet (doubt it would work well on a small-ass smartphone screen), but then you'd be dealing with shitty touch controls in replace of buttons and a d-pad, that's pretty awful.

AniHawk

Ditching the handheld isn't the worst move IMO. Nothing is going to bring people back from smartphones and tablets at this point, It's kind of a lost cause.

the 3ds is probably going to outsell the xb1, where they get their actual third-party support, and it's home to several ten million+ sellers. i think they'll want to continue that business.

GamerJM

Banned
What if the Splatoon team actually isn't working on Splatoon 2? I know that seems like a bad business decision considering that Splatoon was a massive success, but think about it for a minute. Nintendo needs more new IPs, especially ones that are fresh and appeal to new markets. The Splatoon team has proven that they can create a successful new IP in that sense, so why not have them work on another new IP to further diversify Nintendo's catalog of IPs? It would also make sense given that the whole purpose of Nintendo's Garage team is to come up with these kinds of new ideas. This would explain the Splatoon port, since a port would extend Splatoon's lifespan so Splatoon fans can still get their fix. It could even have some new content.

Given what we know so far, Nintendo riding out the 3DS for one more holiday and doing the new handheld in spring 2017 or so seems like the kind of thing I wouldn't put past them. They most definitely are not dropping handhelds altogether.

Neiteio

What if the Splatoon team actually isn't working on Splatoon 2? I know that seems like a bad business decision considering that Splatoon was a massive success, but think about it for a minute. Nintendo needs more new IPs, especially ones that are fresh and appeal to new markets. The Splatoon team has proven that they can create a successful new IP in that sense, so why not have them work on another new IP to further diversify Nintendo's catalog of IPs? It would also make sense given that the whole purpose of Nintendo's Garage team is to come up with these kinds of new ideas. This would explain the Splatoon port, since a port would extend Splatoon's lifespan so Splatoon fans can still get their fix. It could even have some new content.
Nah, Splatoon is so big in Japan that they have those creepy-ass hologram concerts for crazy people. They're definitely making Splatoon 2. They're probably jailed in their cubicles at work and only intermittently fed water and slices of ham from that meat slicer Kramer had on Seinfeld.

DangerMan

Banned
I wonder if they could make a Mario Maker port for NX where your phone or tablet acts as a Wii U gamepad.

I feel like that would be less problematic than actually allowing the NX to be compatible with the Wii U gamepad itself lol.

WHAT!?! There is no dpad, analog sticks, or buttons on a smart phone (usually). Having to make the stage on a phone and then pick up a controller to test it, then use the phone to adjust, then controller to test again repeatedly sounds like an absolute nightmare. Why are people always trying to ruin what Nintendo gets right....

Haint

Feel bad for Nintendo cause I bet internally some were real excited about having a power advantage for once and probably big reveals planned, only to have Sony/MS likely unveiling their .5 revisions along side the NX, trouncing it 2 fold or more.

Ahab

Banned
Given what we know so far, Nintendo riding out the 3DS for one more holiday and doing the new handheld in spring 2017 or so seems like the kind of thing I wouldn't put past them. They most definitely are not dropping handhelds altogether.

Yup. There will most likely be connectivity between the NX/the 3DS successor, and they'll probably share the same OS and have shit like cross-buy with VC games/some indie games, but they're not going to share game libraries. The NX might get a couple of HD versions of handheld games, but it's foolish to expect much more honestly.

Protann

The 3DS sold 50+ million units and is still selling, they'd be incredibly stupid to ditch a dedicated handheld device.

Not to mention the death of handhelds means AA/middleware games like Zero Escape and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy flat out wouldn't exist or would be related to smartphones, which nobody wants. That would be horrible.

The DS sold 84 million in the same amount of time it took the 3DS to sell 50 million. The market is shrinking rapidly. It's not stupid, especially seeing as handhelds are even beginning to drop in popularity to smartphones in Japan (which has always been handheld gaming central).

I agree with you in terms of the AA.middleware games, though. It would seriously be a shame to see that stuff go away.

Schnozberry

Feel bad for Nintendo cause I bet internally some were real excited about having a power advantage for once, only to have Sony/MS likely unveiling their .5 revisions along side the NX trouncing it 2 fold or more.

2-fold or more? What are we talking? $600? Or did Sony and Microsoft suddenly get a raging clue for losing money again?

Fess

In order for the PS4K to be a huge factor, the PS4 is going to need to be displaced - immediately - and everyone that bought one would have to be ignored. This also assumes that developers and consumers are going to embrace an incremental, unnecessary upgrade, and that all future games are going to put in the work to make a PS4K version worthwhile. The only way the NX could be put in a "Wii U situation" with the assumed level of power from the rumors is if Sony outright kills the original PS4 and there is no pushback.

Or basically a fairy tale.
This.

I'd say it's more likely that Sony will lose sales to NX than steal sales from NX the day that PS4K gets officially announced.

The bad PR situation gets even worse if Sony tries to really push for devs to add improvements for PS4K in their PS4 games, which they would need to do for PS4K to make any sense. Out of 40 million PS4 owners you can bet that enough will get angry and vocal enough to make any potentially positive PS4K news turn into bad PR within seconds from going public.

The worst thing is that if PS4K surprisingly enough sells well then that will make the future PS5 unveil toxic too in 2-3 years when we'll have millions of PS4K owners ranting about them getting fooled into buying PS4K when PS5 was just around the corner.

And it'll be even worse if Sony looks on NX and decides to add new hardware features to PS4K too to match NX and truly leaves the 40 million original PS4 owners in the dust.

The whole upgrade idea is toxic. Sony simply cannot play catch up with Nintendo this time. And they don't need to either, with 40 million consoles sold it's Nintendo that should be the one who's chasing the leader. Sony is safe as the king of the hill this gen, it really doesn't matter if NX is more powerful, PS4 will still be the lead platform for any multiplat game and we already know that Sonys internal studios can create magic with PS4 as it is.

In short, it would be plain dumb to throw away all the current positiveness surrounding PS4 with an upgrade that basically nobody but Sony themselves want. Which of course means that they'll do it, just because.

AzaK

seriously, i don't think nintendo can compete with the way i'm imagining ps4k.

If NX is on par with PS4, Nintendo isn't going to be sweating the PS4K/XBone2, at least for a few years. 3rd party developers are still going to focus on the huge install bases of the regular PS4/Xbones for a good long while before they start focusing on the upgraded machines. If PS4K means they're ditching the idea of 'new consoles' and are just going to keep releasing new PS4 revisions, that means developers are still going to be making games with the regular PS4/Xbones (and therefore NX) in mind for a far longer time than they would have if a PS5 came out in 2018/2019.

Yeah but there's two things to think about regarding this.

1) Why would someone pick up a NX over the current guys or the established PS4/4K platform.
2) Why would developers bother with NX if it's basically the same and the others have about 60 million install base.

Something needs to get your average gamer (not Nintendo fans that will obviously buy it) to go "Shit, OK, this thing is pretty awesome". Nowdays that would be Xtreem Powa or something like "Free HTV Vive with every NX". That or either Nintendo just keep it average power, cheap as chips, with some quirk to get the mainstream OR they say "We'll resign ourselves to 10-15 million sales per gen until we think of something amazing"

The game became Mario Kartish big, there is no doubt in my mind this is their latest big franchise.

IMO there's no way that Smash 4 stays a WiiU exclusive. They put waaaay too much blood, sweat, and tears in getting the engine up to speed, putting all the features in, meticulously balancing a gigantic roster of characters, putting all the DLC in, and all the guest-IP characters for the whole thing to die this year along with the WiiU. Not to mention there's no real way to iterate on the formula meaningfully. Smash 4 has taken the series to the apex and I simply don't know how they would improve it significantly enough to warrant a new game.

I wouldn't mind a Definitive Edition with all the DLC+DLC Stages (maybe throw in the 3DS stages??), rock solid 60 fps even in pause screens, throw in some anti-aliasing to smooth out the jaggies, make every stage 8-player enabled since power wouldn't be an issue for this game, cross-play online with the existing WiiU userbase, maybe one last rebalance patch, maybe even a couple NX-exclusive characters if they really want to sweeten the deal (ICE CLIMBERS FOR FUCK'S SAKE).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
IMO there's no way that Smash 4 stays a WiiU exclusive. They put waaaay too much blood, sweat, and tears in getting the engine up to speed, putting all the features in, meticulously balancing a gigantic roster of characters, putting all the DLC in, and all the guest-IP characters for the whole thing to die this year along with the WiiU. Not to mention there's no real way to iterate on the formula meaningfully. Smash 4 has taken the series to the apex and I simply don't know how they would improve it significantly enough to warrant a new game.

I wouldn't mind a Definitive Edition with all the DLC+DLC Stages (maybe throw in the 3DS stages??), rock solid 60 fps even in pause screens, throw in some anti-aliasing to smooth out the jaggies, make every stage 8-player enabled since power wouldn't be an issue for this game, cross-play online with the existing WiiU userbase, maybe one last rebalance patch, maybe even a couple NX-exclusive characters if they really want to sweeten the deal (ICE CLIMBERS FOR FUCK'S SAKE).

Smash 4 isn't a Wii U exclusive as is.

Yeah but there's two things to think about regarding this.

1) Why would someone pick up a NX over the current guys or the established PS4/4K platform.
2) Why would developers bother with NX if it's basically the same and the others have about 60 million install base.

Something needs to get your average gamer (not Nintendo fans that will obviously buy it) to go "Shit, OK, this thing is pretty awesome". Nowdays that would be Xtreem Powa or something like "Free HTV Vive with every NX". That or either Nintendo just keep it average power, cheap as chips, with some quirk to get the mainstream OR they say "We'll resign ourselves to 10-15 million sales per gen until we think of something amazing"

Well why wouldn't Nintendo games + most of the 3rd party games other consoles are receiving not be a good incentive? As much as people like to claim Nintendo games ONLY appeal to Nintendo fans, I think it's more of a case that Nintendo fans are the only ones who will buy the console for them, not that they're necessarily the only ones who like them.

Protann

If they threw in some new characters for NX, I wouldn't really feel the need for a new Smash on NX. It was clear that SSB4 was far less packed with content compared to Brawl, and I feel like an entirely new Smash is almost redundant if they're porting SSB4 to NX. It's time for that team to take a break from Smash and it's time for Sakurai to work on new games.

AzaK

In order for the PS4K to be a huge factor, the PS4 is going to need to be displaced - immediately - and everyone that bought one would have to be ignored. This also assumes that developers and consumers are going to embrace an incremental, unnecessary upgrade, and that all future games are going to put in the work to make a PS4K version worthwhile. The only way the NX could be put in a "Wii U situation" with the assumed level of power from the rumors is if Sony outright kills the original PS4 and there is no pushback.

Or basically a fairy tale.

Developers just need to keep embracing the PS4 SDK's. So long as they can scale their games (Which typically means scaling GPU use - just look at PCs) then they will be fine. I would expect Sony to mandate forwards and backwards compatibility for PS4X generation hardware. It'll be an iOS case on consoles - I doubt it's that hard for developers when it's all said and done unless someone has written a highly optimised, concurrent engine that's CPU bound on PS4K level hardware - and we don't know if the CPU is being upgraded anyway so it might be a moot point.

If they threw in some new characters for NX, I wouldn't really feel the need for a new Smash on NX. It was clear that SSB4 was far less packed with content compared to Brawl, and I feel like an entirely new Smash is almost redundant if they're porting SSB4 to NX. It's time for that team to take a break and it's time for Sakurai to work on multiple new games.

Not really, unless you can elaborate or you honestly believe trophies and music count as more significant content than stages and fighters

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Feel bad for Nintendo cause I bet internally some were real excited about having a power advantage for once and probably big reveals planned, only to have Sony/MS likely unveiling their .5 revisions along side the NX, trouncing it 2 fold or more.

I don't think there's a real reason to feel bad for Nintendo after fucking up so massively after two huge hits (the DS and the Wii).

Ahab

Banned

Doesn't matter when nobody, outside of hardcore enthusiasts, are going to buy them and developers are still going to have to cater to the original PS4/Xbone hardware. You think the mainstream consumer, who bought a PS4/Xbone to play their yearly AAA games, is going to fork over another $300-$400 for a slightly upgraded version when their pre-existing console, that they bought only a few years ago, still works fine? Not going to happen. There's a damn good reason why console generations usually last 5+ years.

The NX is going to be a tough sell to the mainstream audience/casuals for sure, but it's definitely a better sell than a PS4.5/Xbone 1.5.

DangerMan

Banned
I don't think there's a real reason to feel bad for Nintendo after fucking up so massively after two huge hits (the DS and the Wii).

3DS and Wii U are great systems, I play my Wii U more than my PS4 and don't even own and Xbox One (which I regret selling) or a Vita anymore.

Ahab

Banned
The DS sold 84 million in the same amount of time it took the 3DS to sell 50 million. The market is shrinking rapidly. It's not stupid, especially seeing as handhelds are even beginning to drop in popularity to smartphones in Japan (which has always been handheld gaming central).

I agree with you in terms of the AA.middleware games, though. It would seriously be a shame to see that stuff go away.

It's shrinking but it's still a highly profitable market, no reason for Nintendo to drop out of it now.

Griss

If NX is on par with PS4, Nintendo isn't going to be sweating the PS4K/XBone2, at least for a few years. 3rd party developers are still going to focus on the huge install bases of the regular PS4/Xbones for a good long while before they start focusing on the upgraded machines. If PS4K means they're ditching the idea of 'new consoles' and are just going to keep releasing new PS4 revisions, that means developers are still going to be making games with the regular PS4/Xbones (and therefore NX) in mind for a far longer time than they would have if a PS5 came out in 2018/2019.

Right, and I don't imagine that '10%-30% stronger than PS4' will mean anything other than 3rd parties saying 'PS4 and NX get the same build, and the NX's extra power can be spent meaning we do less optimising'. And that's fine, and great for Nintendo, because it makes it more likely that they get those third party ports.

When it comes to showing off the NX's unique graphical strengths, they can use a Metroid or a Xenoblade to blow people away and get some pretty footage to plaster all over commercials.

Right, and I don't imagine that '10%-30% stronger than PS4' will mean anything other than 3rd parties saying 'PS4 and NX get the same build, and the NX's extra power can be spent meaning we do less optimising'. And that's fine, and great for Nintendo, because it makes it more likely that they get those third party ports.

When it comes to showing off the NX's unique graphical strengths, they can use a Metroid or a Xenoblade to blow people away and get some pretty footage to plaster all over commercials.

Guys, the CPU being x% stronger (given whatever metric they're using. FLOPS?) doesn't mean the console will be x% stronger...

AzaK

Well why wouldn't Nintendo games + most of the 3rd party games other consoles are receiving not be a good incentive? As much as people like to claim Nintendo games ONLY appeal to Nintendo fans, I think it's more of a case that Nintendo fans are the only ones who will buy the console for them, not that they're necessarily the only ones who like them.

Sure, and we know from sales there's lots of people from the 360/PS3 gen that haven't upgraded yet. However, are those people more likely to look at XBo/PS4 than a Nintendo console? I'd say DEFINITELY. Nintendo has an image problem amongst those sorts of gamers and to get them to pay attention I think they need to be catered to. Of course Nintendo could say "We're going for the mainstream again with some interesting idea" and they might succeed with that but that's not what we're talking about. For Nintendo to succeed with enthusiast gamers and gain back some of what they've been losing since they entered the industry, they need to offer something impressive.

This is why I've always expected NX to be an average console (maybe more powerful, maybe not, depending on best bang for buck for Nintendo) with the aim to be cheap enough that people will pick it up. And this is why I am CHOMPING at the bit for an SCD/patent concept to be a reality. So people like me can spend $500 and get Uber NX but mum and dad can spend $200 for a cheap good, family console.

Red Devil

Maybe too close to Mario kart 9?

Perhaps!

Well, when Captain Falcon was revealed for Smash after Lucina's trailer didn't he say something like "When are you getting a new game?". :O

EDIT: Yes he did: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlc3tVw5Q

KingJ2002

Subscribing.

and if rumors are true about the PS4K and Xbox One refreshes... the NX may end up underpowered or on par with them.

an ARM / x86 console to replace the Wii U and a ARM handheld to replace the 3DS powered by the same OS is my bet. I still think nintendo's trump card will be that they will allow software that will run on both consoles... opening third parties to both markets.

everything else... is everything else.

although it's not surprising seeing those titles get ported over... hell i'd imagine star fox and mario kart to also get ported over also just to keep things consistent.

Protann

Not really, unless you can elaborate or you honestly believe trophies and music count as more significant content than stages and fighters

Ok, content probably wasn't the right word. There's just not a lot of the bonus extra shit that was always prevalent in the other Smash games. It was clear the team had to get the game out quickly and focused mostly on the fighters and stages, because a noticeable amount of the frill around the edges and extra polish was absent in Smash 4.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
3DS and Wii U are great systems, I play my Wii U more than my PS4 and don't even own and Xbox One (which I regret selling) or a Vita anymore.

Didn't say they were bad systems (I play both of them a lot), but they are fuck ups compared to their predecessors. They went from Wii to a system that will sell less than Gamecube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom