• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, more checking and these are the right numbers. I was accidentally mixing CPUs and GPUs. My bad (well, IGNs, sort of). But anyway, the Wii U being 352 puts it at 1.47x and 1.6x, respectively. So my point was something approaching 2x isn't completely out of the realm of possibility, especially if Nintendo eases up on their power (wattage) restrictions

Basically FLOPS aren't the best way of comparing architectures

No, the Wii U numbers were definitely right since that's the value seen on a number of different sources, including this one which seems to have pretty comprehensive specs on the GPU

Comparing between GCN architectures should be pretty accurate. 2x PS4 seems really unlikely unless they are using something based on Polaris, otherwise it would just be way too power hungry and expensive. That would basically be a 380X.

They could hit something along those lines with a Polaris-based GPU in the same power envelope as the PS4/XB1, but Nintendo isn't likely to shoot for that. If 14nm and Polaris were a thing for NX, they could make a console easily under 100W with a slight performance advantage over PS4. More reasonable and Nintendo-ish, but 14nm and Polaris are extremely unlikely IMO.

That would be hilariously suicidal.

Eh, I dunno. 2017 new gen would be the same timegap as with Wii U->NX and 2018 would be even longer and I definately think they want to have something out before PS5.

Xbox One is not doing terribly but I also think MS out of all 3 would have most to gain coming out with a powerhouse. I fear XBO will stagnate pretty bad in the next few years when it comes to both software and hardware and new gen hype could do them wonders with the hardcore crowd in the US.

Going head to head with PS5 in 2019 or so I feel is the worst thing they could do.

ethomaz

Banned
Comparing between GCN architectures should be pretty accurate. 2x PS4 seems really unlikely unless they are using something based on Polaris, otherwise it would just be way too power hungry and expensive. That would basically be a 380X.
PS4's APU with 32CUs plus clock increase in 14/16mm will be close or even smaller than actual PS4's APU.

I don't why they can't put twice power.

28nm to 16/14nm is two generation of die shrink.

Malus

Honestly, I think there's something to an underpowered (but not extremely underpowered) console if it doesn't have an expensive "gimmick," (or a gimmick at all) and is easy to develop for. Nintendo could basically market it as a cheaper alternative to the PS4/X1 if it's efficiently designed to keep costs down. I don't know if they'll do this though. I don't know wtf they'll do.

If it's not going for power I hope we at least get a neat gimmick to differentiate it. The sentiment seems to be that there definitely is a gimmick of some kind and Nintendo themselves alluded to as much.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PS4's APU with 32CUs plus clock increase in 14/16mm will be close or even smaller than actual PS4's APU.

I don't why they can't put twice power.

28nm to 16/14nm is two generation of die shrink.

Added that in my edit. I don't think Nintendo will go with 14nm, but it's a possibility if they do. I also don't see a point paying for extra R&D cost for a die shrink of a previous architecture revision, but I guess it's possible.

What "cost?" New is not inherently more expensive. The only significant cost factor is yields, which might be okay. Who knows.

Honestly, I think there's something to an underpowered (but not extremely underpowered) console if it doesn't have an expensive "gimmick," (or a gimmick at all) and is easy to develop for. Nintendo could basically market it as a cheaper alternative to the PS4/X1 if it's efficiently designed to keep costs down. I don't know if they'll do this though. I don't know wtf they'll do.

No one would buy that. I don't know why you guys think there's a market for a cheap alternative. Consoles are already the cheap alternative to gaming PCs, and devs aren't going to develop for a console that causes them to further depress their baseline target platform

ethomaz

Banned
Unless the % good yelds are really bad then the cost is the same.

They pay per 300mm wafers... the size of the chip defines the cost... similar sizes end up with close costs.

300mm2 chip in 28nm will cost about the same than a 300mm2 chip in 16nm since both have good yelds... the difference in cost will be minimal.

Added that in my edit. I don't think Nintendo will go with 14nm, but it's a possibility if they do. I also don't see a point paying for extra R&D cost for a die shrink of a previous architecture revision, but I guess it's possible.
I agree... I just said that because it is a option and it is possible to make a chip in 14/16nm with twice power costing near the same than PS4's APU.

For example I don't believe PS4k's APU will be in 28nm... the only way to make this APU is going lower with 14/16nm... unless they make a 500mm2 chip that will make it a hell of expensive.

Malus

For anyone who missed Emily's comment on 10k's rumors:

Here is what multiple sources close to Nintendo are telling me about 10k's hardware rumors: "The gimmick is made up. GPU is wrong. Power level is wrong."
The specs on NX are good,
but a lot of the information being shared in this thread is incorrect.
I was told that NX has good specs,
but the info in this thread on the GPU and power level is just not correct. Sorry to burst everyone's hype.

:p

Edited for clarity.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unless the % good yelds are really bad then the cost is the same.

They pay per 300mm wafers... the size of the chip defines the cost... similar sizes end up with close costs.

300mm2 chip in 28nm will cost about the same than a 300mm2 chip in 16nm since both have good yelds... the difference in cost will be minimal.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a slightly higher cost baked in for using the newer fabs, but the long term benefits should outweigh that.

Assuming yields are good. If they aren't sufficient they will take a cost hit until they improve.

raw

jnWake

All this back and forth is hilarious. Nintendo speculation threads are so ridiculous that you can't help but love them.

I mean, we got the sweddish tree in the controller leak thread, the Shulk/Little Mac photoshop when Smash leaked and more that I can't remember right now. It's simply glorious.

ffdgh

All this back and forth is hilarious. Nintendo speculation threads are so ridiculous that you can't help but love them.

I mean, we got the sweddish tree in the controller leak thread, the Shulk/Little Mac photoshop when Smash leaked and more that I can't remember right now. It's simply glorious.

That rayman and mewtwo "leak" in smash.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Eh, I dunno. 2017 new gen would be the same timegap as with Wii U->NX and 2018 would be even longer and I definately think they want to have something out before PS5.

Xbox One is not doing terribly but I also think MS out of all 3 would have most to gain coming out with a powerhouse. I fear XBO will stagnate pretty bad in the next few years when it comes to both software and hardware and new gen hype could do them wonders with the hardcore crowd in the US.

Going head to head with PS5 in 2019 or so I feel is the worst thing they could do.

Wii U is the worst flop since Saturn, and people are still complaining that dropping it this year is too early. MS doing it with a successful console is an easy way to kill consumer trust. Besides that, it wouldn't be much of a generational jump anyway. The best they do next year would be Polaris 10, so we'd be look at may 4x PS4 or 2x PS4k... which no third-party is going to take advantage of anyway. I mean, i guess it could be a true 4k machine? XBox isn't a strong enough brand to carry a generation on its own, and I don't see Sony launching PS5 before 2019 (2020 is more likely imo).

pooh

So deflating. :(

I'm out guys.

See you at NX reveal.

Awwww. Hey, for what it's worth, I believe you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that Emily Rogers' sources are at NOA, which is why she's been right on when it comes to Nintendo releases. From Trev's NOA leak, which we now know to be correct, it appears that NOA (at least the marketing folks) are being kept in the dark on hardware specs, which makes sense, because why would they need to know that info?

So assuming her sources are NOA (which I could be totally wrong about), I'd think they wouldn't be very good for information on hardware specifications compared to a developer working on a game for the system.

Anyways, just my two cents.

Brofield

I'm out guys.

See you at NX reveal.

:(

Wish we'd see you sooner, but given how the tides seem to be slowly turning against you I wouldn't blame you in the slightest. I hope to hear your opinions in the future on what may come from NX.

With regards to power, isn't the PS4 more powerful than the Xbone? Or have I been horribly mistaken for the last three years? I'd still say a Nintendo-branded PS4 is quite the claim to make and one I am more than happy with; I mean I still doubt the mainstream appeal of 4K television sets when you have to have screens roughly 70" in size just to see the improved resolution or so, isn't it?

I'm out guys.

See you at NX reveal.

You were specific in your assertion that these were third hand rumours and not facts. Third hand can also be 7th hand or misleading in many ways. Like a game of broken telephone. Don't worry about it.

Peru

Heh.. we've been on quite a ride the past few months with NX leaks. I think we got some really solid info on Wii U ports and even some believable suggestions about power, but this info on the 'gimmick' of the system and the particular GPU was perhaps too specific to be real.

RAWi

I'm out guys.

See you at NX reveal.

C'mon D: , you are still in. Not everything was refuted. And we are still yet to see what it really the truth.

The music keeps on playing, and the circus must go on! Get the hypes, cause we are doing a leap of faith.

Just, let me have a controller with a screen :D.

No, that's not how it works. It means with the new architecture, API, optimizations and higher specs the game could end up doing twice as many things on the screen (double the framerate, or more AA, more particles, longer draw distance, better texture and shadow resolutions, etc.) Nintendo could put out a 2TFLOPS GPU at 14nm and still get 2x the performance of the stock ps4.
Ok, understand what you mean. Still, I could see Nintendo going for a lower clockspeed than the PS4, the using its higher efficiency to push the performance above the current-gen systems. If the CPU is 30% better than the XB1 at most, would it be beneficial to have the GPU with that much more power unless they were going for 4K resolution?

Vena

Holy overreactions by people in the thread.

Well you have a couple of voices stirring the pot with now catastrophic exaggerations and comical wording of phrases to spin Emilie's words into terrible negatives. Its kind of funny to watch them come in when counter rumors flair.

AdanVC

I didn't check this thread the whole day and apparently now some new rumors came up? Wii U all over again why?? omg can't take this rumors anymore but can't help it.

NateDrake

I like how both of you pointed out power instead of the 2nd screen part lol.

She's at least denying the PS4x2 thing by the sounds of it. Maybe the "noticeably better" part too, but then you'd think she would have commented earlier, before 10k's 2nd rumor.

The second screen part wasn't dismissed. The only part of that which was denied was the idea of being able to connect to wifi and play the console anywhere with the controller. Could we see another GamePad type controller for NX? Maybe. Who knows.

Malus

No second screen is probably a good thing :p Probably the worst bit from the rumors.
(Despite my fondness for the gamepad, being bundled in is probably not worth the cost)

Yeah but the gimmick 10k posted isn't about a 2nd screen as much as it's about remote play. Maybe she's talking about both, but I certainly wouldn't assume anything based on those comments.

The second screen part wasn't dismissed. The only part of that which was denied was the idea of being able to connect to wifi and play the console anywhere with the controller. Could we see another GamePad type controller for NX? Maybe. Who knows.

That's what I'm saying.

I hate how cryptic her tweet is too. Like, fucking expand on what you said. What are you talking about? What is "good" in terms of specs?

I'd bet that "good specs" is all her sources would tell her.

XenodudeX

I hate how cryptic her tweet is too. Like, fucking expand on what you said. What are you talking about? What is "good" in terms of specs?

NateDrake

Rumors and speculation are usually vague, especially when the information comes from another person. If they inject opinion - like "good specs" could be opinion of the source, it creates chaos...as we can see in this very thread.

No Kidding but I saw it coming from a mile away tho. That's why I don't really take any rumors serious without a solid evidence that it's actually real.
It was going to happen regardless of the outcome. Some fly around the thread like vultures waiting for bad news to drop, while others drink the rumors like the fountain of youth. There is never a middle. All the information was clearly marked as rumor and came from various sources. No one should have taken any of it as gospel, but here we are with folks claiming it is an N64 in terms of power (that may be an exaggeration).

Would you call something bellow X1 "good specs"?
I imagine that's the line of thinking
Yeah but the gimmick 10k posted isn't about a 2nd screen as much as it's about remote play. Maybe she's talking about both, but I certainly wouldn't assume anything based on those comments.
I think she said it seems made up, or at least enough wrong with it that the source is likely just guessing what it could be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom