• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

Rumors and speculation are usually vague, especially when the information comes from another person. If they inject opinion - like "good specs" could be opinion of the source, it creates chaos...as we can see in this very thread.

In as of so far the only thing we've ruled out from Emily's tweet is an outright super-GPU sporting Polaris in its full spread, and, potentially, the much doubted and highly unlikely 14nm. Which, in and of itself, was never part of the original rumor but it does bring up issues of the original unless Nintendo and AMD have designed a very, very unique split-gen GCN GPU rather than using a more standard GCN 1.2.

Said rumor came from a dev, who seems to be... a real dev.

I'm quite happy with how little we know for certain. I'd hate to be spoiled on the important stuff. Knowing about cross-gen games or ports is fine. Exciting information but not megaton, reveal-ruining information. Recently too much from Nintendo has been leaked.

Hydrus

So you guys think this will be the week where we get an announcement about an reveal event or is the reveal really looking like its gonna be E3 only?

Did you ever consider that she may not know specifics and that her source just said "good?"

Guess not.

Or she does know the specifics but is concerned about protecting her source so instead she gives enough information to debunk the alleged leaks in this thread.

Pokemaniac

So you guys think this will be the week where we get an announcement about an reveal event or is the reveal really looking like its gonna be E3 only?

They will probably show something before E3. Whether or not we get word of that this week is up in the air.

Now, next week, on the other hand...

cordy

Banned
Man...people need to chill on the specs for the NX. Tbh, all I'm worrying about is if it'll have games, if it'll be fun and if developers will jump on the platform. As long as the specs are comparable and/or better we'll be good. I can understand why some would be upset but look at the other side, it's gotta have some titles.

I'm fine with it personally. I just wanna know if this thing will be fun.

MK_768

Or she does know the specifics but is concerned about protecting her source so instead she gives enough information to debunk the alleged leaks in this thread.

That too.

People are too quick to go out of their way to bash someone. I don't know if it's a sense of entitlement or lack of ability to think.

Malus

Surprise NX reveal at PAX East on Friday. Playable behind closed-doors for media only.

"DEV FROM PAX EAST GIVES INFO ON SECRET NX REVEAL"

"It was good."

Gaf:

latest

Meesh

Man...people need to chill on the specs for the NX. Tbh, all I'm worrying about is if it'll have games, if it'll be fun and if developers will jump on the platform. As long as the specs are comparable and/or better we'll be good. I can understand why some would be upset but look at the other side, it's gotta have some titles.

I'm fine with it personally. I just wanna know if this thing will be fun.
Pretty much where I'm at, although competent secs may equate to some decent ports and it's rumoured to be supported with plenty of games so...I still don't know lol

NateDrake

"DEV FROM PAX EAST GIVES INFO ON SECRET NX REVEAL"

"It was good."

Gaf:

"Exclusive NX Details from PAX East"

Developer: "The NX was delivered with a Polaris. We drive the Polaris around the office with the NX and showoff the NX with Polaris to everyone. Specs are good on both."

MoonFrog

The thing is: the reason I have trouble waiting is the uncertainty after Wii U. If all was well, I'd be excited and enthused but waiting would be much less tense. My own desires are mostly for software and I expect those to be thwarted in the particular sense but I do think Nintendo will have a decent showing. The thing with the hardware is I want some sign that NX has a path to success. I really want to know that.

TheJoRu

I hate how cryptic her tweet is too. Like, fucking expand on what you said. What are you talking about? What is "good" in terms of specs?

Calm down. Would it kill you to be respectful and not greedy? This may be all she was told, or she was told more but as any good human being would she doesn't want to put her sources in too much of a risky situation. It's when the details come, and when they are accurate, that heads begin to roll.

Malus

Can you honestly stand that much more time of rumours and spec? Lol I dunno if I've got the stamina to make it....burning out here...

I'm good. It's baseball season :D

And worst case scenario, I could actually play my videogames instead of being really opinionated about them on the internet.

"Exclusive NX Details from PAX East"

Developer: "The NX was delivered with a Polaris. We drive the Polaris around the office with the NX and showoff the NX with Polaris to everyone. Specs are good on both."

Wait all of this already happened.

The reception, say insiders, was positive.

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor...rd-parties-about-nx-at-e3-positive-reception/

Meesh

I'm good. It's baseball season :D

And worst case scenario, I could actually play my videogames instead of being really opinionated about them on the internet.
Well, it's true it's something I should b doing, TPHD needs some more love...
I'm cool with the rumors and speculation. Makes the wait more entertaining.
You're a stronger man than I, I tip my hat to you fellow brother :)
Yasss, I play video games to pass the time.
I should learn from you, sensai :3

Pif

Banned
Why are the NDAs so tight? Why so much secrecy, what could be stolen by competitors?

Last time we saw Nintendo being like this, it was because of the Network features of the Wii u, and turns out, the big killer app the competition couldn't see was... Eh, miiverse.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why are the NDAs so tight? Why so much secrecy, what could be stolen by competitors?

Last time we saw Nintendo being like this, it was because of the Network features of the Wii u, and turns out, the big killer app the competition couldn't see was... Eh, miiverse.

There is a new secret killer app in development. It involves an Italian character with mustaches and his dumb brother. There are pipes and mushrooms too

Nictel

Ok real stuff incoming:

Official name is WiiMii.

• Miitomo app build-in
  • Camera similar to Playstation one
  • Asks you to take picture of what you are eating/drinking to share with friends
  • Asks other stuff like 'would you rather have Pespi or Coca-cola with this game?'
  • 900 page EULA
  • BG&E2 exclusive

Yes I have listened to the last Bombcast

Hydrus

You know, Nintendo is a lot like Metallica. NES, SNES, N64 , GC is like 80's Metallica records where they were cool as hell, made legendary music and kicked ass. Then Wii came along and it was like the black album that sold a shit load but many felt like they sold out. Wii U is load era - st. anger/ lulu where fame and ego got to them, and they felt they can do anything. 3ds is death magnetic, its just there. And now NX is the new album that everyone has been waiting for forever and most people are hoping it will be a return to form but probably know it's gonna be a let down.

NES = Kill'em all
SNES = Ride the lightning
N64 = Master of puppets
Gamecube = And justice for all
Black Album = Wii
Load/ Reload/ St.anger/ Lulu = Wii U

AzaK

Nintendo will not likely showcase the specs, though, and even that Wii U Zelda demo impressed fans. The real test will be the support.

You may have answered this before, but what are your expectations?

My expectations, or desires? I expect something that's probably going to be a bit less than XBO, hitting the $200-$250 price point with some Nintendo "hook" like controller or some such. Basically something that's in the ballpark of this gen, barely, so they can possibly get some ports but still primarily a Japanese and Nintendo console.

Oh my this thread delivers. Rumours ahoy.

I shall not believe anything until it comes from Nintendo. My blood pressure can't take it,though it's fun watching the hype train

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
From Emily since doesn't have an account

Here is what multiple sources close to Nintendo are telling me about 10k's hardware rumors: The gimmick is made up. GPU is wrong. Power level is wrong." "The specs on NX are good, but a lot of the information being shared in this thread is incorrect.

I was told that NX has good specs, but the info in this thread on the GPU and power level is just not correct. Sorry to burst everyone's hype.

I think somebody had to do that, Nintendo N10k console was about to close on that $1000 going by the day/day increase in power.

Everything you guys have been hyping over have been fake leaks. Wait for the official reveal, this is getting childish and out of hand now...

AzaK

Basically. And to no surprise whatsoever, one of the first to take the swing at thin air was AzaK.

You must constantly have a nosebleed from the heights you have to climb in order to look down on people in this thread all the time the way that you do.

Thing is, my expectations are grounded in historical statistics. Nintendo has never consciously gone for a high-tech console. Nintendo has consistently had less and less market share every gen (Apart from Wii). Nintendo has consistently stated they want gaming to be for everyone and they want to bring new things to gaming. Nintendo has almost always had consoles for $250 or less. (And yes as I demonstrated sometime ago, inflation doesn't have a 1:1 relation to price and affordability)

As I have also said, ANYTHING can happen but when we look at Nintendo's history, one has to be blind to the last 30 years to think they are going for a high-end console.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So deflating. :(

I'm out guys.

See you at NX reveal.

Oh, come on now. You managed to overhype a lot of people including yourself. Own it.

Better to deflate now than at the reveal. We can actually enjoy the reveal with decent expectations.

Malus

When 10k started talking about how it's highly possible that Polaris will be used in the next handheld, that's when I stopped listening.

Funny enough Thraktor was talking about Polaris in the handheld long before 10k.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199620196&postcount=694

There is, however, the outside chance of Polaris in the handheld. If Nintendo are really serious about unifying development for their home console and handheld, then using the same GPU architecture (i.e. GCN) for both would be by far the best way of going about that. Attempting to squeeze a 28nm GCN-based SoC into a roughly 2W handheld thermal envelope would give you very little performance to work with on the handheld, but a Polaris chip on a 14nm process could give them the power they need to close the gap between handheld and home console (and the smaller the gap between handheld and home console the more they save in development costs over the life of the system). It's also less risky for them to commit the handheld to 14nm, as the small die would be less yield-dependent, and the continued sales of the 3DS would make a delay less of a blow. AMD would also be very happy to have a showcase for the power efficiency of their new Polaris architecture.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When 10k started talking about how it's highly possible that Polaris will be used in the next handheld, that's when I stopped listening.

I never listened in the first place.

But that's because I haven't enabled a text to voice narrator on my browser.

Pure, 100%, grade-A bullshit.

Nintendo 64
Gamecube.

The n64 was highly gimped, they majorly cheaped on vram and other aspects of the system...

The GameCube is the only exception, and even that was only "moderate" hardware at the time, that was quickly and harshly trumped by the original xbox the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom