• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, thank you for that - much appreciated. :)

Kinda gathered this was too good to be remotely true.

The lesson here is; keep expectations in check, and from what I can tell, the most trustworthy folks seem to be Emily and LCGeek.

Emily has leaked numerous things in the past, most recently Paper Mario Wii U, which was announced merely a month after that came up. And I think she pointed out that she leaked a Direct the same day it was announced.

LCGeek, now this is just what folks here have said but I've not seen proof first hand, is that he's leaked Nintendo's CPUs before (Maybe Wii and Wii U's?), and he's said that Basically in CPU order it's from best to worst = NX>>XBO>>PS4 something like that. Surprisingly XBO actually has a better CPU than PS4, I guess PS4 just outclasses it in every other aspect?

So I'm leaning towards what they said and things are actually encouraging. :)

Emily's reported the port rumors (Zelda, Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon) but some like at least one NintendoWorldReport writer (Neal?) has said he's head both positive and negative info about the latter two, but everyone (Emily, Neal, and even 10k) said that those two always seemed uncertain. Also NateDrake (I think he's an insider) also says I think all are happening as well?

I dunno. I'm comfortable leaning towards the above, but I just want the damn thing to be unveiled already! XD

Edit: One more big leak Emily showed that can be proven true at any point is Mother 3 coming to the west (surely on Wii U VC). The unveiling can be basically at anytime between now and at E3. I personally think April 20th is perfect as that's the game's 10th anniversary in Japan.

Schnozberry

Ah, thank you for that - much appreciated. :)

Kinda gathered this was too good to be remotely true.

I'm not sure what elements of 10k's Information she was refuting. Polaris isn't exactly some guarantee of 2x PS4 performance, which seemed to be what 10k was trying to say would be the result of the architectural advantage.

There's a chance, albeit a small one, that NX is 14nm and has a Polaris GPU but still isn't markedly more powerful than a PS4. It just depends on what they customized and how they decided to clock everything to reach their target thermal envelope.

DrWong

So according to Emily Rogers we can expect different spec' than a polaris arch @ 14nm?

Good.

Team 10nm + 20GB DDR6 + gamepad 3.0 (an amiibo with a touchscreen).

Stay fresh.

Umm no. Those consoles were only what they were comparably because they came out about 1 1/2 to 2 years after their comparable systems; PSX and PS2.

Not to rain on your doomed rhetoric, but using this logic Nintendo could very well put out something more powerful than a PS4. Your claim is that the only reason the GCN and N64 were graphically comparable or superior was because they came out after Sony's offering...which is exactly what will be happening with the NX.

The rumour said

Emily said

So if Emily is correct the NX isn't going to be more powerful then the PS4. So it's either going to be on par of weaker.

Yeah. That's where I am now.

Did you miss the part where people were saying it would be PS4K level? That is the part which is likely pointed to be bullshit.
Don't be so hyperbolic.

Zalman

Releasing something significantly more powerful than the PS4 would be suicide. They need to win the price war. $299 is the sweet spot.

Peru

My first honest to goodness speculation about the NX was that it would be on the Wii U level of power, but that it would represent a new family of systems - so we'd get a TV box and a handheld that shared libraries. Not a jump in power, but the security of a steady flow of software available regardless of your choice of form factor. That would be good enough for me, honestly, but of course we all get excited when hype rumors appear.

Peterc

So on par with current gen consoles confirmed then. Maybe even a little bit less.

I thought the 10k rumours were too good to be true.

How are you so sure?

Why should Emily tell us the true?

If she did know what the nx was, she probablycould tell us the power of NX. What it actually using.

AniHawk

Releasing something significantly more powerful than the PS4 would be suicide. They need to win the price war. $299 is the sweet spot.

$299 is what i'm thinking too. plus if it's prohibitively expensive like $399 then i can't see how the handheld component works.

SuperSah

Banned

This. I think Nintendo learned with the Wii U's pricing game.

Nintendo is all about trying to make affordable hardware. I cannot imagine that they will make a more powerful and expensive console than then rest.

So according to Emily Rogers we can expect different spec' than a polaris arch @ 14nm?

She said this? It's not on her twitter account.

Unless you're just assuming that from what she said earlier. :p

Emily Rogers said:
Here is what multiple sources close to Nintendo are telling me about 10k's hardware rumors: The gimmick is made up. GPU is wrong. Power level is wrong." "The specs on NX are good, but a lot of the information being shared in this thread is incorrect.

I was told that NX has good specs, but the info in this thread on the GPU and power level is just not correct. Sorry to burst everyone's hype.

Terrell

While I understand the importance of price, I'm pretty sure that the mindshare war is the one Nintendo is losing the hardest on, so if they have to win a war, that's the one that they need to fight. Having a good price and still being ignored by gamers wins them another Wii U, quite candidly.

OmegaDL50

So trying to catch up here.
The rumors is: more powerful than PS4 and controller with screen for remote play?
Sounds like atleast 339$ which I think is to much for a Nintendo console.
And a controller like that sounds way to expensive it's that WiiU gamepad all over again.
I hope It's not true myself, I hope we see a cheap console from Nintendo again.

This seems to be a sticking point that always seems bother me.

People want a Nintendo console that power that is comparable to the existing contemporary, but don't want to pay for the costs of hardware to match said contemporary.

Pick one

PS4 or above power with the price expectations of console at that power
Low priced console with the hardware expectations of a low priced console.

It's unrealistic to expect high power at a low cost. Sony, Microsoft aren't exempt from this. Nintendo isn't either.

If Nintendo releases console that slightly exceeds what PS4 is capable but some only want to pay something like $200 for it, undercutting the PS4 price by $150. It's one thing to sell at a loss, it's something entirely else to make a point when manufacturing costs and sale values would coincide to the point that it would always remain unprofitable even factoring software sales. This is an unacceptable expectation for any hardware maker.

Eolz

The rumour said

Emily said

So if Emily is correct the NX isn't going to be more powerful then the PS4. So it's either going to be on par of weaker.

Yeah. That's where I am now.

Not necessarily.
It can be more powerful without the Polaris bullshit. What she meant about power level is more linked to how it's supposed to be "noticeably" more powerful, able to run every port "with room to spare", etc.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Did you miss the part where people were saying it would be PS4K level? That is the part which is likely pointed to be bullshit.
Don't be so hyperbolic.

So if it's not PS4K levels then it's going to be on par with PS4 which is what I said.
Who's being hyperbolic?

Ryoku

You all know how it's going to go down after the meeting on the 27th:

- Basic NX information (really basic) outlined
- Nintendo Direct announced for following Friday
- GAF boards hype train
- Those of us already on the hype train will be the first to die when it eventually runs off course and goes boom toward the end of the Direct
- All aboard the Smash hype train

Roo

People want a Nintendo console that power that is comparable to the existing contemporary, but don't want to pay for the costs of hardware to match said contemporary.

Pick one

It's unrealistic to expect high power at a low cost. Sony, Microsoft aren't exempt from this. Nintendo isn't either.

If Nintendo releases console that slightly exceeds what PS4 is capable but only want to pay something like $200 for it, undercutting the PS4 price by $150. It's one thing to sell at a loss, it's something entirely else to make a point when manufacturing costs and sale values would coincide to the point that it would always remain unprofitable even factoring software sales. This is an unacceptable expectation for any hardware maker.

Stop making sense!

I want my 3TF, 20GB RAM, 10nm, PS6 power levels Nintendo console for only $99.99!!
fucking dammit!

ofvQaJi.gif
ofvQaJi.gif

beril

Pick one

If Nintendo releases console that slightly exceeds what PS4 is capable but only want to pay something like $200 for it, undercutting the PS4 price by $150. It's one thing to sell at a loss, it's something entirely else to make a point when manufacturing costs and sale values would coincide to the point that it would always remain unprofitable even factoring software sales. This is an unacceptable expectation for any hardware maker.

One word: Cartidges!
No disc drive, limited flash storage instead of HDD, small simplified design, PS4 level hardware, $200.

No disc drive, limited flash storage instead of HDD, small simplified design, PS4 level hardware, $200.

I've thought if they can pull off a Vita TV-style device with PS4+ power, I think they'd have something pretty good.

For those who don't know, it does play Vita carts, uses memory cards, Ethernet, and has one USB port.

Ryoku

If PS4k = 2xPS4 and NX < PS4k and NX power level = "good" ...

could mean NX = 1.5x PS4 or 1.1x PS4 or 1.85x PS4.

Not enough multipliers, man.

It's somewhere in the realm of "not as powerful as 'PS4K' and weaker than XBO".

My personal opinion is that it may be around the level of PS4. A little bit more or less powerful.

I've thought if they can pull off a Vita TV-style device with PS4+ power, I think they'd have something pretty good.

For those who don't know, it does play Vita carts, uses memory cards, Ethernet, and has one USB port.

Look at how big the PS4 is in comparison. Do you honestly think a PS4+ console would not require anything more than passive cooling in a tight case?

v1oz

Umm no. Those consoles were only what they were comparably because they came out about 1 1/2 to 2 years after their comparable systems; PSX and PS2. They were better in some cases, worse in others but as I said, they came out quite a while after. If you read what I said I was stating that I do not think Nintendo has ever consciously gone for "POWA". If they make a system and it falls in the ball park, 1.5-2 years after the competition then that's just happenstance.
That's not true. The Gamecube hardware was finished in 2000 a year before it's release. It could have come out in 2000 and still be much more powerful than the PS2. The only reason it came out a year later was to complete the launch titles. Same deal with the N64 - it could have launched 1995 but it was only delayed because of Mario 64 which was taking a lot of time.

Sony and Microsoft tend to bring their consoles alot sooner to market - usually right after the hardware is finished. For example the Xbox was released in the exact same year when Nvidia finished designing the chipsets. The Gamecube came out in that same year but it's chips were designed a year earlier. Which is why the Xbox had shaders (which was brand new tech at the time) and the Gamecube had a colour combiner TEV - the Xbox was based on newer technology.

Look at how big the PS4 is in comparison. Do you honestly think a PS4+ console would not require anything more than passive cooling in a tight case?

Without a disc drive, who knows? Isn't the disc drive a major factor in the heat produced?

Besides, it doesn't have to be THAT small, but not that far from it if they can manage it.

beril

It wouldn't be that small since it would need a heatsink and a fan, but yea I'm liking the idea of a small cart based box. It's completely unfounded, but at least it's more fun to speculate about than which exact CPU architecture it will use and if it will be 23.14% more powerful than console X

OmegaDL50

The medium wouldn't make that significant of difference in terms of price. replacing an optical drive with a cartridge medium with a storage capacity required for todays games definitely is not going to be $150 price difference with the PS4's $350.

And even if Nintendo uses cartridge format, it most likely will be a proprietary physical casing (like the Vita cartridges) but based on Secure Digital format (i.e SDXC / MicroSDXC at 64GB being likely) that would be the only sensible solution to compare to the 50GB dual layer capacity of Bluray.

A physical drive would probably still be likely if we consider things like firmware updates, DLC, and digital content. Of course external might be an option like the Wii U had, but that is debatable.

Closer to $300 seems likely. $50 less than the PS4, but again this is ultimately speculation.

Ryoku

Without a disc drive, who knows? Isn't the disc drive a major factor in the heat produced?

Besides, it doesn't have to be THAT small, but not that far from it if they can manage it.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost 100% certain that the CPU and GPU, especially, produce far more heat than a disc drive. The removal of the disc drive would, however, play a major role in reducing the size of the box.

Peterc

I don't care if some people like to pay 299$ and get a sh*t console.
I only hope they will bring a console for 499$ that has allot of power for the core public.

Rodin

Took long enough to shut down that Polaris 14nm PS4K insanity, maybe now we can start being realistic. I wonder if Emily was also referring to 15-30% better than PS4.

Pokemaniac

The medium wouldn't make that significant of difference in terms of price. replacing an optical drive with a cartridge medium with a storage capacity required for todays games definitely is not going to be $150 price difference with the PS4's $350.

And even if Nintendo uses cartridge format, it most likely will be a proprietary physical casing (like the Vita cartridges) but based on Secure Digital format (i.e SDXC / MicroSDXC at 64GB being likely) that would be the only sensible solution to compare to the 50GB dual layer capacity of Bluray.

A physical drive would probably still be likely if we consider things like firmware updates, DLC, and digital content. Of course external might be an option like the Wii U had, but that is debatable.

Closer to $300 seems likely. $50 less than the PS4, but again this is ultimately speculation.

Cart slots (which is the only part that matters for the console itself) are far cheaper than optical disc drives. Also, the lack of need to install games lets Nintendo do the Wii U approach of starting out with not much storage and letting the user expand that as necessary.

There is literally no reason to not allow external storage. Sony really needs to step up their game in this area.

The N64 was a powerful system for it's time full stop. Just because they didn't go full on Silicon Graphics Workstation on it doesn't mean it's another underpowered consoles in line with the Wii.

And as some have explained over and over again, the Xbox was by no means far ahead of the GC, they both have their individual strengths and weaknesses, the GC is definitely far closer to the Xbox than the PS2.

Moving the goal posts on both fronts... Neither the n64, nor the GameCube were power houses... Need I remind you the n64 was emulated full speed in 1998? Yeah, it was recent tech, but it was cheap and stripped down recent tech. Impressive coming off SNES... But this was the era of voodoo graphics which killed the n64 and ps1.

Once again, it was not that Nintendo used stronger tech, it was that Nintendo's competitors also used cheap tech.

Ryoku

I don't think Nintendo has a reason to stay away from a $300+ console.
The problem with Wii U wasn't the price itself. It was the value. The gamepad--which is what Nintendo was completely banking on--did not prove to bring as much value to the console as the company had hoped.

If the value is there, and the market is "feeling it," then a $350-$400 console would be fine. I feel like $350 is the sweet spot. You also have to take into major consideration that NX would be launching mid-generation.

I don't care if some people like to pay 299$ and get a sh*t console.
I only hope they will bring a console for 499$ that has allot of power for the core public.

People who want a lot of power and consider half a grand to be an okay price for a gaming system are generally not interested in console gaming.

OmegaDL50

Cart slots (which is the only part that matters for the console itself) are far cheaper than optical disc drives. Also, the lack of need to install games lets Nintendo do the Wii U approach of starting out with not much storage and letting the user expand that as necessary.

There is literally no reason to not allow external storage. Sony really needs to step up their game in this area.

There would still be an internal storage solution required for software updates for games as well as DLC / digital games.

I don't even want to get into the impracticality of NX Cartridges having their own built in storage for saves. I'd rather they be a read-only format so it doesn't run into the issue of writes / rewrites wearing it out if it's based on some derivative of the secure digital format.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The N64 was difficult to develop for and had some serious bottlenecks, but it was still powerful for 1996. Using it as an example of an underpowered console makes even less sense than the GameCube, even if the GameCube was easier to develop for and didn't have equivalent crutches.

You can't just take Gunpei Yokoi's quote about Nintendo using "withered technology" as always gospel. This is a man who worked on Game & Watch models and the Game Boy, which was certainly that, but he had less of a hand in their console designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom