• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clefargle

I'd rather discs since they got them smooth-rim technology.

image.php

Just another day on GAF!

Rodin

Doubt it, since that's been bouncing around for a while now. I think it's probably "the theoretically Outperforming PSK" stuff. That still doesn't preclude the gpu from having some features from Polaris.

I don't think, she didn't react to that. Even more, she commented on the SMM and Splatoon rumours without dismissing anything. Only the latest "leak" with Polaris 14nm 2xPS4 insanity got her to react.

Ok, thanks guys.

Going by Emilys wording, I'd put it between PS4 and PS4K, which is fine with me.

But if I have to guess the reactions, most people don't even know how the hardware transfers into the visuals,
but they're going to be upset because it isn't some theoretical amount of numbers which they probably don't understand anyway. :p

Most important part for Nintendo is to achieve easy porting.

Even the PS4K has the big problem that there are already >60.000.000 PS4-Bones on the market,
therefore I don't see the problem if NX has lower specs than PS4K from this standpoint.
I think that's a bit optimistic, i'd put it anywhere from on par with Xbox One to slightly more powerful overall than PS4. But i agree, having lower specs than PS4K won't be an issue outside of some forums and youtube's comment section of Digital Foundry.

Depending on the size I may place it between the PS4 and PS4K on my TV stand too.
lol

I don't think they'll go with carts.

I'm expecting a conservative console, similar to their competitors in most respects, but benefitting from a better CPU and whatever minor efficiency upgrades releasing later will bring. If there is a gimmick, I expect (or perhaps more accurately, hope) it won't be so significant in tech terms that it bumps the price past £250 / $299.

Let the software do the talking; that's a good enough USP for Nintendo. For too long now the factors that differentiate their home consoles have actually become a barrier to many. Whilst I've loved each and every one for their idiosyncrasies, the pool of people (barring the Wii) willing to look past them has been decreasing steadily. The boom of the Wii won't be repeated with a good enough gimmick, those people have migrated to mobiles and tablets.

A CPU better than the XB1 would place it nicely (I'm assuming to avoid the bottleneck some said the PS4 had on that side) in terms of power, as well as price. Anything more would be overkill right now. I doubted we'd see the benefits of a PS4k, and it makes even less sense for Nintendo - who need a competitively price machine - to follow that route.

A good box, that gives me Mario, Zelda, etc., eases the path to third party support and doesn't break the bank just makes too much sense.

Jackano

It was already crazy to compare with the ps4 when we do not know a damn thing about NX, now there is comparisons with the ps4k which we don't know a damn thing about either.
What a time to read GAF :)

I think that's a bit optimistic, i'd put it anywhere from on par with Xbox One to slightly more powerful overall than PS4. But i agree, having lower specs than PS4K won't be an issue outside of some forums.
Going by LCGeek's statement we already have a better CPU. Edit: than XBO/PS4

Their memory system should be at least on par, since they always invested in this department.

The GPU is the wild card, no idea.

orochi91

Going by LCGeek's statement we already have a better CPU.

Their memory system should be at least on par, since they always invested in this department.

The GPU is the wild card, no idea.

NX is rumoured to have a better cpu the
an the ps4k?!

Nintendo going all out it would seem.

o_O

Mr Swine

Banned
PS4: Technically, the PlayStation 4 Blu-ray speed is rated at 6x, for maximum read speed of 27 MBs per second
SD UHS-1 can do maximums of 50 MB/s and SD UHS-II has a theoretical maximum of 156 MB/s (full duplex) or 312 MB/s (half duplex)

Sources: wikipedia

It would be nice if they went with flash cards like he 3DS it could have insanely fast read speeds if it could reach up to half duplex on that SD card.

3ds does not use flash memory for it's games.

It's not using cartridges so it's a flash based medium

It would be nice if they went with flash cards like he 3DS it could have insanely fast read speeds if it could reach up to half duplex on that SD card.

It's not using cartridges so it's a flash based medium

It's Mask ROM, but it doesn't matter since you can run games from SD card.

Taker666

I wonder how big their on-board storage/HDD will be this time.

I'd assume it'll be more than 8 or 32GB this time....but I'm not convinced they'll go to 500GB/1TB.

120GB-250GB would be my guess...largely because Nintendo's own games tend to have pretty small file sizes compared to third parties (most of their Wii U games were under 5GB).

I could see that being something they'd save a bit of money on to try and keep the hardware cost down.

jerry5278

Neo Member
I'm not getting hyped for anything now until the actual reveal. All these rumors are getting way out of hand. Nintendo needs to say something about NX soon though. Before E3

Jethro

I'd assume it'll be more than 8 or 32GB this time....but I'm not convinced they'll go to 500GB/1TB.

I like the idea having cartrigdes with internal memory like in good old times (or like on Nintendo's handhelds)

And for all the downloads just plug in something external.

KingBroly

Banned
I wonder how big their on-board storage/HDD will be this time.

120GB-250GB would be my guess...largely because Nintendo's own games tend to have pretty small file sizes compared to third parties (most of their Wii U games were under 5GB).

I could see that being something they'd save a bit of money on to try and keep the hardware cost down.

If it's a cart based system, they wouldn't need a big hard drive.

Akki

The Wii-U gamepad 2.0 is also wrong? It is a T3 rumour, if this is wrong i guess everything is made up and more a reasonable prediction than a real leak.

Great news.

KrawlMan

I'm not getting hyped for anything now until the actual reveal. All these rumors are getting way out of hand. Nintendo needs to say something about NX soon though. Before E3

Same. This thread is a testament to just how thirsty us Nintendo fans are for news.

The Wii-U gamepad 2.0 is also wrong? It is a T3 rumour, if this is wrong i guess everything is made up and more a reasonable prediction than a real leak.

Great news.

You don't inow that...spme rumors we heard earlier and now are coming again with a little bit more details. To be honest I think every rumor this time has some true elements and some fake shit. We will soon enough what is true and what not.

Pittree

Imagine smooth-rim cartridges.

That is actually not a bad idea. It would be just a nice little touch to add to the experience. For all their cons, I loved the mini discs on Gamecube, and those rounded edges on Wii U games will never be acknowledged enough

Luigiv

technically yes; same way that you have saves on 3DS carts. Have one part ROM and one part flash. But you'd have to decide on a cap for how much DLC/patches you can do when you release the game, and it'd increase the cost of the cart
Yeah, one of those ideas that sounds good at first until you actually think about it. Personally, I reckon if they go with carts, they should should be ROM only and should be treated the same as optical discs. I guess they could go the Vita route and make included save memory optional, but honestly I don't think it's worth the extra engineering expense, given how ignored it was on the Vita.

Kouriozan

I encourage people that overhyped themselves to read the Wii U Speculation Threads, we have gone through this before :p
Anyway, thanks Emily, that should limit the meltdowns.

Pittree

On the topic about Emily "debunking" 10 k rumors. It seems to me that we should read more in to the exact information he claims to have received:

So far I know this: Polaris architecture as a base, mixed with Fiji, low power consumption, raw power numbers are modest increase, performance for optimized games for NX would be easily 2x PS4 performance.

It nowhere says it's specs are 2x beyond of PS4. in fact it clearly states that raw power numbers are a modest increase. I read the part about performance for optimized games being 2x PS4 as he is refering to features inherent of a newer gpu. And I think we should know by now that the x metric is quite subjective.

I remember when IM used that precise metric when talking about Wii U and his impression was based on knowing the console was capable of rendering two screens with 360-like graphics, so for him it was 2x 360.

Pif

Banned
You know, Nintendo is a lot like Metallica. NES, SNES, N64 , GC is like 80's Metallica records where they were cool as hell, made legendary music and kicked ass. Then Wii came along and it was like the black album that sold a shit load but many felt like they sold out. Wii U is load era - st. anger/ lulu where fame and ego got to them, and they felt they can do anything. 3ds is death magnetic, its just there. And now NX is the new album that everyone has been waiting for forever and most people are hoping it will be a return to form but probably know it's gonna be a let down.

NES = Kill'em all
SNES = Ride the lightning
N64 = Master of puppets
Gamecube = And justice for all
Black Album = Wii
Load/ Reload/ St.anger/ Lulu = Wii U

Then which console is Tool and Megadeth?

Joqu

I just want a console that's slightly above the PS4 in terms of power, although preferably it should be as close to the 4k as possible. Even that could still not pan out, but I'd say that it at least has more signs pointing towards it, not just 10k's stuff. I'm definitely inclined to believe LCGeek's comments on the CPU.

Servbot24

Banned
NX is rumoured to have a better cpu the
an the ps4k?!

Nintendo going all out it would seem.

o_O
They're rumored to have the equivalent of a $1200 PC for a $200 price tag.* Nintendo is going to completely clean up. It's already over.

*Source unverified/nonexistent

Rodin

I was thinking about how Nintendo could implement offtv and dual screen gameplay (for games based on it, e.g. Mario Maker, Splatoon and cross titles with the portable assuming it will have a dual screen setup, or others that may benefit from it, like Zelda, Xeno etc) while still being able to build a console around PS4 specs and sell it for 299$ tops, and i had a crazy idea.

Nintendo treated the gamepad on the Wii U as mandatory, but it was actually optional in most titles, and they must have realized that this "discrepancy" in their message hurt them, especially considering how the gamepad was a huge factor in raising Wii U's cost but it didn't really convince people to buy the console. Now, multiple sources talked about the NX being able to connect to smart devices, but they didn't explain how or why.

What if Nintendo sells the NX with a standard controller (say, an evolution of the Wii U Pro Controller with wheel buttons and other improvements), but also includes in the package two "horns" with the same buttons layout, that you can attach to a slot where you put your phone (or something like those things you can already buy that add buttons for your smartphone, but universal, that works well and with the same layout as the new Nintendo controller). You have it in different sizes (small, medium, large), just like the slot on the Pipboy of the Fallout 4's collectors edition, and you can put any Android/iOS(/W10?) phone in there, to use it for offtv or additional functions. This would basically be smartglass done right, and while it wouldn't add any cost to the console SKU, it would still let you enjoy some of the WiiU's unique features without spending extra money. The only problem with it is that phones don't have the chip built in that allows for zero latency on the Wii U, and i'm not sure if this can create problems with offtv (e.g. not being able to display games at 60fps, like the Vita with PS4 games iirc).

They can also sell a Gamepad 2.0 standalone or bundle it with titles that require it, for people who don't want to drain their phones batteries or those who liked the original gamepad and would welcome a better version of it (or even to those few people that still don't own a smartphone but want to take advantage of the second screen). Think Super Mario Maker, they can sell the standard remaster for 39$ and the bundle with the controller for 89-99$, depending on how much it costs them. They can of course let you use the next portable too.

Obviously i'm not suggesting that this will be the NX gimmick, but rather one of the features of the console that would be offered without raising the cost of the machine like another controller with a screen (plus the new gimmick) would. Do you think that something like this is possible, and that it would work better than the mandatory Wii U gamepad?

We are at the same place as with the Wiiu threads now. Weaker than ps360, same, much stronger!!!!

Where did Wiiu end up exactly in the end?
A CPU a bit weaker at some tasks and better at others, better RAM subsystem, slightly better and more modern GPU.

maxcriden

So... could changing the "verification" process help with cases like this?

isn't it a bit silly that those sources got verified for nothing?

edit: ok, it appears that 10k didn't got the "standard" vefirication.

I may missed this--which of 10k's rumors were debunked?

Are there people who think that NX will be more powerful than PS4K? How long does it take us to declare that NX will literally be a Dragon Ball Z character?

Are there people who think that NX will be more powerful than PS4K? How long does it take us to declare that NX will literally be a Dragon Ball Z character?
No and never.

Just relax. If these rumors are getting into some of your heads so much then step away and just come back when Nintendo has their Investors Meeting.

maxcriden

Thank you. So, no dummy controller gimmick, then. IIRC the gimmick she's debunking is the one where the controller can be taken around as a HH to stream remote play-style but doesn't have the full functionality of a HH. I think that could be been interesting but I'm skeptical how well the remote play would've worked, so I suppose I'm not too surprised if it's not the gimmick for the NX console.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. That + her talk of good specs makes me think we're good in the PS4+ territory.

And that makes me...satisfied.

Also, the controller can still have a screen in it. Just, no remote play OR not the only thing.
#teamfusionofgamepadandwiimote

I agree that the controller still has a high likelihood of having a screen in it. If so, I hope for it to be sleeker than the GamePad (perhaps with freeform tech) and surely with different messaging or less emphasis than the GamePad has had.

Here is what multiple sources close to Nintendo are telling me about 10k's hardware rumors: The gimmick is made up. GPU is wrong. Power level is wrong." "The specs on NX are good, but a lot of the information being shared in this thread is incorrect.

I was told that NX has good specs, but the info in this thread on the GPU and power level is just not correct. Sorry to burst everyone's hype.
Then I'm out of this thread, see you all after the investor meeting.

Peterc

It's kind of funny how people still discussion the power level in detail of the nx.
If the console is a bit more powerful as ps4 aor double the ps4?
"But the price have to be low."

While the question is,
- what it can do on screen
- if it does something new/unique.
- Why would we buy a NX (games, new experience?)

Thats what I"m searching for :)

I may missed this--which of 10k's rumors were debunked?

Technically none of them.

Emily Rogers said that the remote play "gimmick" and GPU/Polaris rumors were false, said that the NX had "good specs" but didn't elaborate beyond that. Basically a rumor vs another rumor, really depends on who you want to believe.

The typical fearmongers have been running around like the sky is falling, completely ignoring the fact that none of this is confirmed or official and we still know shit about the NX.

Greddleok

Honestly, this is all I care about. If it's HD and has a bunch of new, interesting games made by Nintendo, I'll probably buy it at some point.

My poor WiiU. It's such a great console, shame its life had to be cut short.

It's kind of funny how people still discussion the power level in detail of the nx.
If the console is a bit more powerful as ps4 aor double the ps4?
"But the price have to be low."

While the question is,
- what it can do on screen
- if it does something new/unique.

Thats what I"m searching for :)

I'm not sure what's so funny about it. Its specs and the gimmick (specifically, the technology it houses) are the two main factors that'll affect its price. And price is a major concern for a mid-gen console up against competition that will likely release refined, cheaper SKUs in the next year to eighteen months.

What it does, how unique it is, and the quality of first party titles will fade into the background - as will third party support - if it's dead in the water due to a high price point.

Piers

Probably below PS4 now :(

I don't know why people buy into rumours that happen to reference exactly what GAF users have wished for from Nintendo. All that reads to me is someone who lurks the forum and wanted to pander to the specific wishes from hardcore fans, in hopes of riling up a topic with a high page-count.

ozfunghi

That was Arkam. He definitely got ganged up on in the WUSTs too because he was dropping information people didn't want to hear or refused to believe.

The problem with Arkam was that he came across more like a troll than a dev in his first posts. He was very adamant to "rub it in". Unlike Lherre who was always more neutral (yet basically said the same thing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom