• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the lack of need to install games lets Nintendo do the Wii U approach of starting out with not much storage and letting the user expand that as necessary.

Guys... Just imagine what Nintendo can do with game cards as a media for HD gaming if they managed to squeeze everything from Blu-ray regarding read speed, thus making their games run directly from the disc.

takriel

At this point, the no gimmick rumor might just be true, because if there was a huge gimmick, wouldn't we have heard of it by now?

Nictel

At this point, the no gimmick rumor might just be true, because if there was a huge gimmick, wouldn't we have heard of it by now?

How long before the announcement was the Wiimote / WiiUPad known? I don't think the not-knowing is any indication.

Took long enough to shut down that Polaris 14nm PS4K insanity, maybe now we can start being realistic. I wonder if Emily was also referring to 15-30% better than PS4.

Doubt it, since that's been bouncing around for a while now. I think it's probably "the theoretically Outperforming PSK" stuff. That still doesn't preclude the gpu from having some features from Polaris.

OmegaDL50

The N64 was difficult to develop for and had some serious bottlenecks, but it was still powerful for 1996. Using it as an example of an underpowered console makes even less sense than the GameCube, even if the GameCube was easier to develop for and didn't have equivalent crutches.

You can't just take Gunpei Yokoi's quote about Nintendo using "withered technology" as always gospel. This is a man who worked on Game & Watch models and the Game Boy, which was certainly that, but he had less of a hand in their console designs.

I think the biggest handicap to the Gamecube was it's optical medium and it's limited storage capacity (1.5GB max I believe as opposed to the 8.5GB max for PS2 and Xbox Dual layer DVDs)

If the Gamecube had opted for standard sized DVD-Rom, as opposed to Mini-DVD, I think that would have maybe made it more viable for more ports being made, especially from Japanese devs which the PS2 era was particularly strong for. Of course the controller itself was also....unique, so making an appropriate controller scheme for the 'Cube controller would also need to be considered as well if any ports were to happen, but that is just wishful thinking on my behalf.

Zalman

I think the fact that a "gimmick" hasn't been leaked yet suggests that the console might be more traditional this time. If there was something new for developers to consider, then the word would have been out there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Took long enough to shut down that Polaris 14nm PS4K insanity, maybe now we can start being realistic. I wonder if Emily was also referring to 15-30% better than PS4.

I don't think, she didn't react to that. Even more, she commented on the SMM and Splatoon rumours without dismissing anything. Only the latest "leak" with Polaris 14nm 2xPS4 insanity got her to react.

SuperSah

Banned
I think the fact that a "gimmick" hasn't been leaked yet suggests that the console might be more traditional this time. If there was something new for developers to consider, then the word would have been out there.

Hard to really say. NDA's have been tight as hell, it could be that Nintendo is really cracking down on leaks.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What did she say?

This:
Emily Rogers said:
Here is what multiple sources close to Nintendo are telling me about 10k's hardware rumors: The gimmick is made up. GPU is wrong. Power level is wrong." "The specs on NX are good, but a lot of the information being shared in this thread is incorrect.

I was told that NX has good specs, but the info in this thread on the GPU and power level is just not correct. Sorry to burst everyone's hype.

Nightbird

I agree. Either that or the gimmick is a very small one this time around.

beril

The medium wouldn't make that significant of difference in terms of price. replacing an optical drive with a cartridge medium with a storage capacity required for todays games definitely is not going to be $150 price difference with the PS4's $350.

And even if Nintendo uses cartridge format, it most likely will be a proprietary physical casing (like the Vita cartridges) but based on Secure Digital format (i.e SDXC / MicroSDXC at 64GB being likely) that would be the only sensible solution to compare to the 50GB dual layer capacity of Bluray.

A physical drive would probably still be likely if we consider things like firmware updates, DLC, and digital content. Of course external might be an option like the Wii U had, but that is debatable.

Closer to $300 seems likely. $50 less than the PS4, but again this is ultimately speculation.

PS4 probably has a decent profit margin by now. It also has some extra hardware for the pointless share gimmick that you can skip.

Hardware teardowns put the disc drive and HDD in PS4/Xbox One at about $70. Add maybe 10$ for a small amount of internal flash; enough for some patches DLC, a few indies and VC games. But without mandatory game installs you won't need a massive HDD and they can force the all digital minority to buy an external drive, like on Wii U.

Then you get a much smaller box and simpler design, which lowers manufacturing costs, as well as shipping costs. You get fewer moving parts which undoubtedly leads to more durable hardware and less repair and support costs down the line

I wouldn't be surprised if it could chafe of at least 100$ from the price. Yes it would hurt the profit margin on software (how much is unknown), but unless they can move hardware they can't sell any software anyway

nikatapi

Making a console that plays cardriges makes a lot of sense at this point, especially if the system will have the capability to play the handheld games (cross compatibility). It will probably keep the system a lot smaller and hopefully cheaper.

E-phonk

Banned
The medium wouldn't make that significant of difference in terms of price. replacing an optical drive with a cartridge medium with a storage capacity required for todays games definitely is not going to be $150 price difference with the PS4's $350.
Not needing the capacity for game installs and no optical drive can take 70-80$ off the price. They can still sell a version with larger storage for people who prefer digital.

I like the idea of cards, because if you look at how games work on ps4 (buy bluray > games get copied to your HD > game gets 2gb patch on launch) the blu ray obviously became the delivery method instead of the game medium.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think, she didn't react to that. Even more, she commented on the SMM and Splatoon rumours without dismissing anything. Only the latest "leak" with Polaris 14nm 2xPS4 insanity got her to react.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. That + her talk of good specs makes me think we're good in the PS4+ territory.

And that makes me...satisfied.

Also, the controller can still have a screen in it. Just, no remote play OR not the only thing.
#teamfusionofgamepadandwiimote

AzaK

Not to rain on your doomed rhetoric, but using this logic Nintendo could very well put out something more powerful than a PS4. Your claim is that the only reason the GCN and N64 were graphically comparable or superior was because they came out after Sony's offering...which is exactly what will be happening with the NX.

I have NEVER said they wouldn't do a PS4 level machine, although I do expect something a bit less than XBO. What I said, is that people who are getting excited for some beast machine to knock the socks off the PS4 are likely setting themselves up for disappointment given Nintendo's history.

Jacobs

Wii U was supposed to have good specs as well.. So what does good specs mean? Could be on the same power level as xbox one. Would be more Nintendo like than above ps4 levels.

Peterc

So you're hoping for the console to fail? Okay then.

Why would it fail?, I think if they don't do it it could fail.
everyone could still buy the 299$ version, so you can target both public.

Few things if the console will cost 299$
- power equal to xbox or a bit more
- Nintendo has always something special beside traditional playing that will cost money

==

WIIU flashback

==

Console could fail.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't believe in tight NDAs as easily as some people. It could as well means that few people have actual dev kits.

It doesn't necessairly mean everyone has dev kits, but the tight-as-hell NDAs are true, it's impossible to doubt them. Just ask Rosti, who has (partial) access to the new Nintendo Development Portal.

TLZ

Banned
Not needing the capacity for game installs and no optical drive can take 80 euro off the price. They can still sell a version with larger storage for people who prefer digital.

I like the idea of cards, because if you look at how games work on ps4 (buy bluray > games get copied to your HD > game gets 2gb patch on launch) the blu ray obviously became the delivery method instead of the game medium.

Can the game carts be used to have patches and dlcs downloaded to them, so this way we have everything in the game's cart altogether?

Wii U was supposed to have good specs as well.. So what does good specs mean? Could be on the same power level as xbox one. Would be more Nintendo like than above ps4 levels.

from the very beginning (Cnet rumors I think) we were told that the project café was around 360 specs.
Then some people went crazy and WUST happened and it all ended as we know it.

But The first and more credible rumours back then were about a around 360 power level.

Eolz

I don't care if some people like to pay 299$ and get a sh*t console.
I only hope they will bring a console for 499$ that has allot of power for the core public.

The "core public" doesn't buy 499$ consoles, even more if it comes from Nintendo after their last two consoles.

Can the game carts be used to have patches and dlcs downloaded to them, so this way we have everything in the game's cart altogether?

I remember Jam with the Band for Nintendo DS using the cart memory to download new tracks. You actually needed several copies of the game to download everything.

E-phonk

Banned

Perfectly possible. But for save games it's better to put it on the consoles storage/cloud, as SD technology has a limit to how many writes it can perform (around 100.000 writes, but still)

Mr Swine

Banned
How fast can read only speeds be for flash cards if NX uses them? How fast are the ones on the 3DS? How fast is Blu-Ray drive on PS4 and Xbone?

beril

technically yes; same way that you have saves on 3DS carts. Have one part ROM and one part flash. But you'd have to decide on a cap for how much DLC/patches you can do when you release the game, and it'd increase the cost of the cart

E-phonk

Banned
How fast can read only speeds be for flash cards if NX uses them? How fast are the ones on the 3DS? How fast is Blu-Ray drive on PS4 and Xbone?

PS4: Technically, the PlayStation 4 Blu-ray speed is rated at 6x, for maximum read speed of 27 MBs per second
SD UHS-1 can do maximums of 50 MB/s and SD UHS-II has a theoretical maximum of 156 MB/s (full duplex) or 312 MB/s (half duplex)

Sources: wikipedia

ec0ec0

So... could changing the "verification" process help with cases like this?

isn't it a bit silly that those sources got verified for nothing?

edit: ok, it appears that 10k didn't got the "standard" vefirication.

Malus

So... could changing the "verification" process help with cases like this?

isn't it a bit silly that those sources got verified for nothing?

10k never quite got the full on verification from bish. Nirolak...did something but said it wasn't as in-depth as what is usually done. I dunno, it's somewhat vague.

Forkball

Now that Emily Rogers has debunked those obviously fake rumors, I've decided to share my own. I have ranked them via Pokemon games.

T-HeartGold/SoulSilver

Mario will continue to have an M on his hat: There's been a lot of discussion about changing the letter. X, S, and Q have been talked about. Sources tell me that they've decided to stick with M and the Q guy is no longer at Nintendo.

T-Pokemon Snap

NX will use an "Antimatter Omega Drive" as its CPU

Kimishima has been rumored to have dove into the heart of the universe itself to secure this ancient artifact beyond our comprehension. No word on if it can do 4k.

T-Pokemon Dash

NX will have Western third party support

Trust me.

ec0ec0

10k never quite got the full on verification from bish. Nirolak...did something but said it wasn't as in-depth as what is usually done. I dunno, it's somewhat vague.

aaaahhhhh...

I had read something around those lines, but i didn't quite understand what happened.

Pittree

Would you guys think that removing the hdd, disc drive, and psu from a PS4 would be around half the volume for it? I was just playing with the idea and if so, theoretically, (not so much practically) you could fit a unit with those things stripped in a 13cm cube... so nx confirmed 4 OUYA's duct taped together =/ ...

I am obviously joking, but being serious, the more I think about the idea of using cartridges the more I like it, IMO the advantages quite make up for the cons.

Going by Emilys wording, I'd put it between PS4 and PS4K, which is fine with me.

But if I have to guess the reactions, most people don't even know how the hardware transfers into the visuals,
but they're going to be upset because it isn't some theoretical amount of numbers which they probably don't understand anyway. :p

Most important part for Nintendo is to achieve easy porting.

Even the PS4K has the big problem that there are already >60.000.000 PS4-Bones on the market,
therefore I don't see the problem if NX has lower specs than PS4K from this standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom