• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

goomba

Banned
Regarding the ARM, x86 bit talk in the OP:

ARM has full 64 Bit chipsets.

x86 is actually 32 Bit but x64 (xbone and ps4) are 64 bit

I don't think it to be more powerful than PS4 because that implies it will be more expensive specially if it includes a gimmick controller. More expensive than PS4/X1 means DoA.

goomba

Banned
from this rumour NX sounds too much like a next gen Wii U.

Nintendo stated NX would feature a brand new concept, so I doubt these rumours.

Gleethor

I would welcome a Smash 4 NX that gets regular updates every year. Make it like Street Fighter V except that the foundation is an enormous game with loads of content.

jonjonaug

from this rumour NX sounds too much like a next gen Wii U.

Nintendo stated NX would feature a brand new concept, so I doubt these rumours.

Wii U's software sales compared to the number of Wii U's sold are incredibly good. The problem is "number of Wii Us sold". If Nintendo can put out a console with comparable third party support to the PS4 and X1, then re-releasing Wii U games for the people that never picked up a Wii U would be a good idea.

Ahab

Banned
I would welcome a Smash 4 NX that gets regular updates every year. Make it like Street Fighter V except that the foundation is an enormous game with loads of content.

Fuck that, Smash shouldn't be a game that's used as a "service" platform. The NX needs a proper Smash 5 with it's own brand new features, characters, and style.

KeRaSh

I'd double dip for Mario Maker. I bought the Wii U bundle on day 1 and haven't bought any other Wii U games since then and I only feel slightly bad about that investment. :p

I can definitely see Splatoon, Zelda, and Smash being NX remasters but why Mario Maker? Isnt the whole core of the game dependent on the gamepad so unless they rebuild it from scratch it doesn't make sense.

Also I would love to see remasters of Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 2 happen since it could reach a wider audience now with the NX and possibly encourage more games in the series.

Tizoc

All i wanna know is if the dang console will use the same or similar account and region free structure that the ps3 and ps4 use

antonz

Jesus Christ people say Nintendo fans are bad. PS4K this PS4K that. Sony is not going to abandon 40+ million PS4 owners and the kind of power people expect would completely divide the userbase. a 3.8-4+ Teraflop GPU completely shits over anything the PS4 could ever dream to accomplish.

Fess

The ~13 million who have bought Wii U so far are some of Nintendo's most loyal consumers, we need new content too, not just 0-2 year old Wii U ports which will probably be full price again.
New content will come, don't worry, I'd say that it's always better to have nice remakes of old fan favorites than having to wait for years to get new games.

Think of it this way. Zelda Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Master Chief Collection, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, The Last of Us Remastered, Nathan Drake Collection, Gear of War Unlimited Edition et etc...

Hasn't those games been great to have while waiting for the new Zelda, Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider, next TLoU, Uncharted 4, Gears of War 4 etc?

Personally I'd be quite disappointed at the current gen without those games to be honest. And if I'm not mistaken some Nintendo dev teams has been silent long enough to possibly have proper new games releasing in the not too distant future.

udivision

Tl;DR
-NX is more powerful than PS4
-Splatoon and Mario Maker ports are in development (though might not get released)
-Smash and Zelda ports are also things but this isn't new information
-NDAs are tight
-Architecture is also under NDA
-Handheld isn't the main focus if there is one

m6Jagwq.gif

Jesus Christ people say Nintendo fans are bad. PS4K this PS4K that. Sony is not going to abandon 40+ million PS4 owners and the kind of power people expect would completely divide the userbase. a 3.8-4+ Teraflop GPU completely shits over anything the PS4 could ever dream to accomplish.

My console power is bigger than yours.

atbigelow

splatoon, mario maker, smash brothers, second/touch screen... sounds exactly like wii u to me

whats the new concept then?

Wii U was a totally different "concept" than the Wii, yet it received a handful of ports from the GCN and Wii. Knowing a handful of possible ports does not a concept make.

And there was no mention about a second/touch screen.

Anth0ny

WHAT!?! There is no dpad, analog sticks, or buttons on a smart phone (usually). Having to make the stage on a phone and then pick up a controller to test it, then use the phone to adjust, then controller to test again repeatedly sounds like an absolute nightmare. Why are people always trying to ruin what Nintendo gets right....

The alternatives that I can think of are:

1. Traditional controller only, which means you'd design the stages on your TV screen alone instead of having the second touch screen.

2. The rumored NX handheld can speak to the NX console and act as a Wii U gamepad. This would be great but also hella expensive.

3. They realize the idea is too well suited to the Wii U and gamepad and say fuck it, which I think would be a shame.

I can't imagine the Wii U gamepad will be compatible with the NX. Besides the fact that it is a toxic brand, it's not even sold separately in stores. They sure as fuck won't start selling it when NX is the new console to push, nor will they include a controller with a screen in the box.

Pretty sure that the console will be much more successful if it includes a "maker" as the pack in game.

Hopefully we get a NES maker at some point. Free game development for Nintendo!

Striek

Literally LOL'd at this latest development. All of this is plausible, and indeed, nothing new, but I'm 100% sure 10k isn't an insider based on nothing more than his history on gaf, and the fact the post quoted in the OP is exactly the verbiage drivel of a non-insider.

Literally LOL'd at this latest development. All of this is plausible, and indeed, nothing new, but I'm 100% sure 10k isn't an insider based on nothing more than his history on gaf, and the fact the post quoted in the OP is exactly the verbiage drivel of a non-insider.

Hey why don't you read the rest of his posts and find out that he, while not an insider, actively got in touch with the various sources (incl. Emily Rogers who then backed up his port-related findings) in order to find out about this?

I just want that new main Mario game...

Any idea when you guys think it'll release? I wonder how it'll be.

Hmm... Before, I'd have said launch, but I'm not sure on that. I think it could easily be saved for a holiday 2017 title.

Zelda, Pikmin 4 (as hinted by Miyamoto), and a Smash deluxe edition are three solid ways to start things off as it is. Mario might be overkill.

The alternatives that I can think of are:

1. Traditional controller only, which means you'd design the stages on your TV screen alone instead of having the second touch screen.

2. The rumored NX handheld can speak to the NX console and act as a Wii U gamepad. This would be great but also hella expensive.

3. They realize the idea is too well suited to the Wii U and gamepad and say fuck it, which I think would be a shame.

I can't imagine the Wii U gamepad will be compatible with the NX. Besides the fact that it is a toxic brand, it's not even sold separately in stores. They sure as fuck won't start selling it when NX is the new console to push, nor will they include a controller with a screen in the box.

Option one is fine especially if you have some sort of finger tracking cursor touchpad thing on the controller, doesn't need to be a screen.

The point of the ports is to get non Wii U owners to check them out and eke more money out of their investment. Hell, I hope they port the entire library over--Lego City, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta...all the awesome games people skipped over.

I fully expect a handful of new games from Nintendo at launch as well. New 3D Mario, new social-multiplayer game, a reboot. Who knows.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

Yeah it's pretty silly. As soon as you leave GAF I doubt you'll find most fans will want a New 3DS upgrade for PS4 that can maybe play some simplistic 4k indie titles and UHD Blu-rays. NX is essentially up against PS4, not PS4.1

Lumyst

I assume they're working on third party support as well.

It'll be interesting to see how they proceed! It's the third year of the PS4 and XB1 and I'm increasingly feeling that the foundation of those consoles are an audience who gets sports games, shooters, and a AAA Western M-Rated game each year. Nintendo's flagship series have afforded them the opportunity to create HD imagery that wouldn't usually be seen, and I'm certainly excited to see some more of that on NX! I have a PS4 but I got it thinking this gen would be like previous gens. And even without certain series having their entries being released yet for it, people are now thinking that PS4 specs are unworthy and there needs to be another generational leap?!? Really, it's taught me something about human nature to see how people's opinions about hardware power and specs started out with "enthrallment," "craving" for next gen, that games made for specs below PS4's are unworthy; to, now just two years later, angst that it's not good enough :p

Nanashrew

Banned

Well, 10k never said he was. He just did some investigative stuff to seek out answers and was verified by mods. But everything said is the same to what other leakers have been saying too.

Malus

Hey why don't you read the rest of his posts and find out that he, while not an insider, actively got in touch with the various sources (incl. Emily Rogers who then backed up his port-related findings) in order to find out about this?

Well, what's the difference between an insider and someone who gets in touch with sources anyways.

Striek

Hey why don't you read the rest of his posts and find out that he, while not an insider, actively got in touch with the various sources (incl. Emily Rogers who then backed up his port-related findings) in order to find out about this.
Well, 10k never said he was. He just did some investigative stuff to seek out answers and was verified by mods. But everything said is the same to what other leakers have been saying too.

Saying you're not an insider while claiming to have sources you've "pressed for info" is highly redundant. Also, as someone who has been on gaf for a very long time, the batting rate on "verified leakers" actually divulging anything provably new and exciting here is very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom