• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Nintendo will unveil the NX soon enough. :) So many rumors, I still want to know where that guy on twitter heard this May 9th date for the unveiling.

Anth0ny

This. One thing that killed the Wii U at launch was that it only got a lot of ports and not enough new games. Why should people buy a new, expensive system when they can play those games on a console they can buy for much less money on Amazon, eBay etc?

PS4 and Xbox One launches were full of ports. The new COD sold gangbusters with these new consoles, even though it was available on the much cheaper PS3 and 360.

Cross gen is cheap and it works.

Mario Maker would be really sweet. Wanted to try it but no way I'm getting a WiiU at this point

I'm sure you aren't the only one thinking this.

What if Nintendo anticipated Sony and Microsofts (rumoured) revision consoles,and aligned there's power wise.Wild speculation of course,but that would be a battle royal.

Of course Sony and Microsoft already have there software library, which could be why Nintendo is doing Wii U remasters.

I'm way off probably,but all this news/rumours are very exciting. E3 can't come done enough

swatahafa

Banned
Remind me of all thise Wii ports that were available at launch. Please.
And the reason why their porting Wii U games, is because that console sold like crap and their hoping that more people hop on the NX train. These games will be new to many people if the console sells well.

They used that exact argument when porting Wind Waker to Wii U, because "GameCube didn't sell that well". It ended up doing a lot worse.

For me, ports are only signs of not having enough time developing fresh content.

Nerrel

I just want that new main Mario game...

Any idea when you guys think it'll release? I wonder how it'll be.

It was confirmed not too long after 3D World that the staff was already working on a new Mario for new hardware. That puts the next Mario at about 3 years of dev time by this fall, which is enough time to plausibly make the NX launch. If not, it'll be a first year game.

1. The port talk is really making me uneasy about the launch lineup of the Wii U. If we expect at least 4 ports at launch, I fear that Nintendo might see it as enough to launch the console and not launch anything new and interesting.

2. Am I one of the only people who would actually like to see backwards compatibility?

Zelda U is new and interesting even if you have a Wii U. Pikmin 4 is all but confirmed as a launch game as well, since Miyamoto confirmed it was nearly done last year, and the fact that we haven't even seen a finished game guarantees it's for NX. Also, to reiterate what I said above, a new 3D Mario has a strong chance at being a launch game as well. Whatever Retro has been doing, they'll also have had about 3 years of dev time by this fall. That makes at least 3-4 very strong first party launch games, with a selection of classic ports to pad out the launch, without even considering what 3rd parties will bring. I honestly can't think of a better launch for a Nintendo system in the company's history.

As far as backwards compatibility goes, if it hampers the next system in any way, get rid of it. The Wii U is the best opportunity for a clean break from old architectures that Nintendo will ever get. They really need to modernize and come up with hardware that works well for what they're doing before even considering Wii U compatibility.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ooo, the new mini-DVDs

Nah, cartridges are more plausible now than they've ever been, and they've gotten better than blu-rays because read and write speeds are not fast enough to read the data so those discs plays second fiddle to hard drive installs.

Also Terrell has this post about how logistics are the biggest money hog for any company and Nintendo could mitigate the cost by having the format across both systems.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192728798&postcount=557

Also a cartridge slot means less moving parts, less power consumption, less heat, more ventilation, smaller looking system.

Zalman

I think it's pretty safe to say Smash and Zelda will be there at launch. Multiple rumors seem to point to that. Splatoon and Mario Maker can be released later as schedule-fillers.

However, as nice as quick ports/remasters can be, new content is important too. I expect them to show the new 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 and Retro's new game at E3. They need to bring out the big guns to get people excited.

Metalmarc

I want to be excited at everything, but I'm going to be cautiously optimistic this time round, but damn the OP sounds good.

DeVeAn

So, do they expect the hardcore loyal fans to but a new console with current ports? What is in store for that group of fans?

Meesh

I know Nintendo likes to make a profit of hardware but I really hope they don't intend to make this more the 399$.
Definitely going to be hard on the wallet this time me thinks, we generally go all out at launches in my family. 2 consoles + most of the games offered at launch so she'll be a doozy for sure... For some reason 399$ wouldn't at all surprise me but I'm still praying for 350$ at the most. Ps4 graphics for Zelda is gonna be sick so I'll probably miss a little work at launch to soak up the madness and revel in what's probably going to be the best Zelda yet. I'll buy Splatoon NX if it pans out because we still don't own it, probably cash in on what could be Ssb4 definitive edition too. Not to mention if there's any credence to FF or DQ making launch...man, all I'm missing is whatever Capcom is offering personally and I'm hoping for MH and REsomething. This is gonna be the best launch evah imo.

Kenpa64

If true I'm all in. I would prefer the handheld to release sooner but it's okay if games are coming to console too.

MrV4ltor

They used that exact argument when porting Wind Waker to Wii U, because "GameCube didn't sell that well". It ended up doing a lot worse.

For me, ports are only signs of not having enough time developing fresh content.

Of course a port is going to sell worse than the original. It's still extra copies sold and the ports don't cost that much.

So, do they expect the hardcore loyal fans to but a new console with current ports? What is in store for that group of fans?

Zelda.

I don't see the point in these ports. By 2017 they could have a brand new Mario Kart and Splatoon out. Smash is the only one that makes sense and if those games didn't sell Wii U's, they're not going to sell NX's.

I'm totally fine with older games, but I was playing these in 2015. They wanna port something, give me Luigis Mansion NX. It just depends on of Nintendos focus is leaning on these ports or not. If it's just trying to flesh out a less than compelling launch, I may as well stuck to my Wii U and other consoles for a couple of years.

Yeah, I'd figure the same too. I'd be happy with a discount, but then you have to apply that to disc owners without them getting the shaft and that's harder to do.

It makes sense for them to port Smash, it always takes about 7 years until the next instalment in the series, that would leave the NX without Smash for 5 years, they're never going to do that. So it's best to get Smash out ASAP for NX.

I image they'll add content/DLC to it to differentiate it from the Wii U version and try to resell the game to people who own it already.

SMM makes just as much sense, they'll probably just keep adding content to that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Everybody has information now, nobody knows actually anything. I'm happy for 10k that he found some people to satisfy his curiosity and enthusiasm.

Except for the power part there is nothing in this, two known ports and two best guesses heavily disclaimed.

Is funny how no 3rd party games for NX have leaked, but things developed internally by Nintendo have. Don't Nintendo employees sign the same NDA, the toughest in history since the Inquisition?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nah, cartridges are more plausible now than they've ever been, and they've gotten better than blu-rays because read and write speeds are not fast enough to read the data so those discs plays second fiddle to hard drive installs.

Also Terrell has this post about how logistics are the biggest money hog for any company and Nintendo could mitigate the cost by having the format across both systems.

Also a cartridge slot means less moving parts, less power consumption, less heat, more ventilation, smaller looking system.

No matter what happens, 64 GB game cards in 2016 are a total pipe dream. Still expecting discs, as Panasonic's Wii U ones can essentially be reused if they can be made dual-layer.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Software wise the rumors about nx have been so boring so far. As a wii u owner I dont have a single reason to be interested in nx so far.
And no, graphics are not a reason per sé for me

I'm really hoping for cartridges. I want them in crazy colors, oh, and some transparant ones as well please.

Hoping for information before the E3.

dity

Joke about the size and storage capacity mate, the size and storage capacity.

The Gamecube was one of the more powerful consoles its generation. It was stunted by the mini-DVDs though.

Nanashrew

Banned
No matter what happens, 64 GB game cards in 2016 are a total pipe dream. Still expecting discs, as Panasonic's Wii U ones can essentially be reused if they can be made dual-layer.

To be honest, I find it fishy that the sources didn't bite about if it's using an optical drive or whatever. 10k asked them about the format used but they would not say anything. Which is odd because surely an optical drive is no secret.

But I own a Wii U and can just get it there. What else?

It's just a shame it's PORT WATCH with these leaks. You'd think with all these sources, one new game would get out there.

I was being facetious. Technically, despite Zelda being new, it does also fall into the category of 'Wii U port'. But that doesn't bother me that much because, as I say, it's a brand new Zelda game. It's no different to what they did with TP a decade ago.

Hopefully we get Pikmin 4 at launch at least, and a new 3D Mario.

Hasney

It makes sense for them to port Smash, it always takes about 7 years until the next instalment in the series, that would leave the NX without Smash for 5 years, they're never going to do that. So it's best to get Smash out ASAP for NX.

I image they'll add content/DLC to it to differentiate it from the Wii U version and try to resell the game to people who own it already.

SMM makes just as much sense, they'll probably just keep adding content to that.

The choices of what to port totally make sense, I agree with that. I'm more just concerned that all the leaks have ports in them and not one of them can get a rumbling about a new game. I know, they probably have at least one for launch, but I can't shake the feeling that they'll initially lean heavily into these ports to fill the gaps at launch.

Instro

Software wise the rumors about nx have been so boring so far. As a wii u owner I dont have a single reason to be interested in nx so far.
And no, graphics are not a reason per sé for me

BG&E2? I mean that's top tier megaton if true. Unless you don't care about that franchise.

Nibel

- Still don't believe that it will be much more powerful than current consoles
- Can't imagine them going with a screen-controller ever again
- But you could make Mario Maker work with a basic controller, support the Gamepad or support second screens
- Smash port was afaik confirmed by Serkan Toto, Splatoon makes absolutely sense if they want to appeal to the Japanese market, SMM is very popular as well and Zelda makes sense

So yeah: nothing too crazy here

Oddduck

But I own a Wii U and can just get it there. What else?

It's just a shame it's PORT WATCH with these leaks. You'd think with all these sources, one new game would get out there.

I think it's safe to say that Pikmin 4 will be an NX exclusive.

I highly doubt it gets a dual release on Wii U.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
To be honest, I find it fishy that the sources didn't bite about if it's using an optical drive or whatever. 10k asked them about the format used but they would not say anything. Which is odd because surely an optical drive is no secret.

Indeed, and Macronix expecting major second half gains. It adds up....but who would pay more for 16-64 GB cards?

MCN

Banned
I don't but I'm very disappointed that my older games are stuck on an old box. Now a new PS4 is coming. This shit sucks. Ps one classics stuck on PS3.

You never know, Nintendo might include Espresso as some sort of co-processor that handles OS operations and Wii U backwards compatibility. They could then allow you to use the NX Handheld as a Gamepad, but release the ports for people who haven't bought the handheld.

UrbanRats

Something more powerful than PS4 is what Zelda U needs, to be honest.
The footage from the TGAs had me worried about how much elements on screen the WiiU could handle, because open world games really saw a quality jump in this gen, as far as visuals go.

Hasney

I was being facetious. Technically, despite Zelda being new, it does also fall into the category of 'Wii U port'. But that doesn't bother me that much because, as I say, it's a brand new Zelda game. It's no different to what they did with TP a decade ago.

Hopefully we get Pikmin 4 at launch at least, and a new 3D Mario.

Yeah, I'm totally fine with them doing that with Zelda and I'll get the NX version if there's a reason for me to pick up the console (like a 3D Mario). Just can't help the feeling after the bad Wii U launch that it'll just be some mini game collection, a Zelda port and then a bunch of games we played last year.
I think it's safe to say that Pikmin 4 will be an NX exclusive.

I highly doubt it gets a dual release on Wii U.

Yeah, just hope it makes launch day.

Been a life long Nintendo fan and I'm totally hyped! the NX will most likely be the first Nintendo console (not including the N3DS) I buy on day one even though we still don't have any concrete info on it yet, the moment retailers start taking pre-orders, I'll be throwing my money down! Believe that!

cordy

Banned
Hmm... Before, I'd have said launch, but I'm not sure on that. I think it could easily be saved for a holiday 2017 title.

Zelda, Pikmin 4 (as hinted by Miyamoto), and a Smash deluxe edition are three solid ways to start things off as it is. Mario might be overkill.
A guess pulled out of my ass says it'll be a launch window game.
It was confirmed not too long after 3D World that the staff was already working on a new Mario for new hardware. That puts the next Mario at about 3 years of dev time by this fall, which is enough time to plausibly make the NX launch. If not, it'll be a first year game.

Interesting, so there's a chance. I guess we'll see how this plays out. Just imagine how it would be at E3 to see them announce a new Mario game and then they'll say it announced later this year, who knows though. I really haven't been hyped for a Mario title since Galaxy personally although G2 and 3DW were amazing. Galaxy was the last "fresh" title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom