• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

ika

Even if these rumors about NX being clearly more powerful than PS4 are true, everybody should be careful and not expecting (to avoid disappointments):

-Nintendo trying to make games that looks better than PS4 best efforts (Uncharted 4 and the like)
-Nintendo giving its developers (like Retro Studios, MonolithSoft) millions and millions to make graphic intense games that competes with studios like Square-Enix, Bethesda,....
-Third Parties actually trying to make the NX version of a game the "definitive version" (best graphics, physics, ai, etc)

Sure: the jump from Wii U to NX will be massive and Nintendo's games will probably look stunning, but stunning comparatively to Wii U games, not PS4 ones. I can't see Nintendo bleeding money just to please "graphic whores" and squeeze 100% of NX's power. For them, artistic direction comes first.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot: Zelda U won't look that much better on NX even if this rumor is true (same reasons as above). I'd love to, but I just can't find any reasonable argument for it. People expecting Zelda U on NX being a next-gen graphic showcase will end up disappointed, IMO.

AniHawk

Zelda.

I don't see the point in these ports. By 2017 they could have a brand new Mario Kart and Splatoon out. Smash is the only one that makes sense and if those games didn't sell Wii U's, they're not going to sell NX's.

mario kart is probably late 2017 at the earliest. i imagine it would slot in really well as a holiday title. spla2n could be done in two years, but i think that'd be rushing things. they might wind up adding more stuff to splatoon instead and make it more of a service/platform than going out with a sequel right away, and have the group focus a bit more of their efforts on animal crossing anyway.

Mory Dunz

tbh, Smash is one port I'm not really excited about.

I feel like it'd have the smallest graphical improvements compared to like a Zelda U, MK8, Splatoon, etc. Since it's already 1080p/60, a resolution bump wouldn't do as much, as it would for the 720 games. It would need new models and shaders which won't happen (and touched up BGs for Brawl Stages).

MK8 in 1080p would be pretty amazing, but for Mario Kart, it's smarter to just make mk9 eventually imo.

Zelda U will be great in 1080 (i'm assuming 720/30 wii u and 1080/30 for NX. Seems the logical chocie).

For Smash? It's harder to improve without a lot more work.

Meesh

Man... How much longer do we wait for any official morsels? Something this week? A Nintendo direct just before E3? Oh dear gawd satiate my NX thirst!!!

Instro

Indeed, and Macronix expecting major second half gains. It adds up....but who would pay more for 16-64 GB cards?

Nintendo could eat the cost for 3rd parties I suppose, given the savings they would make on not needing a disc drive and the related costs from that. For their own games it wouldn't be much of an issue given their file sizes are usually quite small.

Regarding NX software, they should really be looking to replicate what they managed in the first year of the Wii. Zelda, Metroid, and Mario all in the first year along with stuff like FE, Strikers, Super Paper Mario, etc.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Even if these rumors about NX being clearly more powerful than PS4 are true, everybody should be careful and not expecting (to avoid disappointments):

-Nintendo trying to make games that looks better than PS4 best efforts (Uncharted 4 and the like)
-Nintendo giving its developers (like Retro Studios, MonolithSoft) millions and millions to make graphic intense games that competes with studios like Square-Enix, Bethesda,....
-Third Parties actually trying to make the NX version of a game the "definitive version" (best graphics, physics, ai, etc)

Sure: the jump from Wii U to NX will be massive and Nintendo's games will probably look stunning, but stunning comparatively to Wii U games, not PS4 ones. I can't see Nintendo bleeding money just to please "graphic whores" and squeeze 100% of NX's power. For them, artistic direction comes first.

I think I can agree with all of this when it comes to realistic graphics. I do think that Nintendo might employ stylized graphics that won't require the same texture work and whatnot as the top PS4 games but will result in some top-looking cartoony stuff.

AdanVC

At this point I'm just going to go ahead and say that NX will be a pyramid-shaped gamecube and will be bc with neo geo games.

I can't handle this rumors anymore. I need Bill Trinnen to reveal this officially now !!

SuperSah

Banned
Not buying any of this until the real reveal.

I still just cannot imagine a day where Nintendo's current hardware could compete in power alone.

Kurt

It's not like Devs want Nintendo consoles...

Because they were always hard to develop for & less powerfull.
So when creating multiple platform games == problems.

Let me ask you another question : how many games are there that only plays on the new 3DS? /case

2 different consoles (spec wise) on the same gen is not done.

Honestly I dont trust any of these rumours.

My issue is Nintendo always end up hobbling their hardware in some manner, the Wii U was downgraded last minute, especially it's GPU, so these rumours don't mean much yet.

To get some traction in the console space that it has ignored since the gamecube, it's going to need to be the most attractive console anyone has put out in years.

Nintendo first party does not have a widespread appeal among a majority of those that play CoD and GTA, Battlefield etc. Also if the third party output is just as good as the others then why not just stick with the others?
Especially when users of PS4 and X1 have bought into the ecosystem over the past three years, with the transition to X86 backwards compatibility moving forward is locked down.

Nintendo simply might be a generation or two late to get those kind of users back

Meesh

I cant wait until this is revealed and a LOT of people change their Day 1 tune. Can we get a NX day 1 "show me the receipts" thread. this will be glorious no one stirs up the industry and GAF in particular like Nintendo.
I'd be down.

Nanashrew

Banned
Indeed, and Macronix expecting major second half gains. It adds up....but who would pay more for 16-64 GB cards?

Nintendo could bite the bullet. Most of Nintendo's own games don't even use the full disc outside of Xenoblade and maybe Zelda U (just a guess on my part) for a majority of their games. So Nintendo would be buying much of the smaller sized carts for cheap.

As for 16GB, I'm expecting the handheld carts to increase as they tend to do. 8GB to 16GB will likely be the norm on handheld. Unless they've gotten even cheaper, it could even be up to 20GB.

Overall, if they do go with same format across systems it would make logistics easier, and mitigate most of the cost of buying carts, even the bigger sized ones.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nintendo could eat the cost for 3rd parties I suppose, given the savings they would make on not needing a disc drive and the related costs from that. For their own games it wouldn't be much of an issue given their file sizes are usually quite small.

Not to mention they wouldn't have to deal with including an HDD if games could be read quickly. It'd be very Nintendo to have a 64 GB eMMC.

As for 16GB, I'm expecting the handheld carts to increase as they tend to do. 8GB to 16GB will likely be the norm on handheld. Unless they've gotten even cheaper, it could even be up to 20GB.

20 GB solid state memory chips are not really a thing I believe. The jump is a doubling from 16 to 32, which must come with an associated cost. If you go over 32 GB compressed then the associated cost could be even higher.

//DEVIL//

Part of me hope this is not true about ports being under development for nx from the wiiu.

1- i want new a sequel. Not a port
2- this kinda confirms the NX wont be backward with the WiiU and i kinda wish it's.

Thr WiiU has so many great games many people are missing out because they dont have the console. If the NX will be able to play those WiiU gamss then its more sales profits for Nintendo

Zalman

Part of me hope this is not true about ports being under development for nx from the wiiu.

1- i want new a sequel. Not a port
2- this kinda confirms the NX wont be backward with thr WiiU and i kinda wish its.

Thr WiiU has so many great games many people are missing out because they dont have the console. If the NX will be able to play those WiiU gamss then its more sales profits for Nintendo
Smash and Mario Maker make sense, but I think Splatoon could benefit from a sequel. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe they aren't just simple ports.

Man once Nintendo goes public with NX, nothing will be the same again I guess...

Rumors sound nice, but somehow I'm sick of all the rumors! We want answers and information!

Mokujin

As much as I would like this to be true, I'm not going to believe those rumors, no matter it's three years after ps4 release Nintendo screwed hard last two times they had a very good chance to at least deliver much more competitive hardware with little effort.

I will be the first in line if they manage to get decent hardware again (and I really want to know what kind of memory system they go for) buuuuut I will wait for something more official.

cordy

Banned
And as for Smash, I sold my Wii U maybe 3 months after I got Smash because I needed the money for rent so I haven't played anything on that console since. This is a great for me considering my money situations aren't as bad as they were a while back. I hope the price is acceptable but it is what it is. I've been on the PS4 for the longest and I plan on getting the X1 for Gears so if maybe I can pick this up I'll be good. Hit me with that Zelda, Mario Maker, Smash and Splatoon and I'm cool.

Nightbird

Nonsense, there were insiders, sources and devs quoted all over back then talking about how powerful the Wii-U was supposed to be.

When I remember correctly the WiiU lost quite a bit of power before launch didn't it?

Had something to do with electricity consumption or something like that.

Nonsense, there were insiders, sources and devs quoted all over back then talking about how powerful the Wii-U was supposed to be.

I remember this as well, as a lurker.

We where getting a 4870 radeon equivalent, loads of ram and a processor out of this world, from "verified" ninsiders.

Turned out to be a lot of bollocks.

Ryoku

I just remember we all thought Wii U would blow away the PS3 360.

Most of that was pure speculation, though. The solid rumors that were out there were vague stuff like, "the GPU is better, but..."

I was part of those WUSTs :p

I don't remember solid rumors like these about power for the Wii U. The few ones that were solid (Arkham, for example) were widely challenged by GAF.

I remember this as well, as a lurker.

We where getting a 4870 radeon equivalent, loads of ram and a processor out of this world, from "verified" ninsiders.

Turned out to be a lot of bollocks.

4870 was something GAF speculated on after the whole "GPU is of the R700" family. There were quite a few that even said it was probably going to be closer to a 4830.
And to be fair, devkits had like 3GB of RAM, so compared to the 360's 512MB, 2-3GB was a lot. Of course, it ended up being 1GB for games.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nintendo games are no where close to 64GB, though it could be a potential issue for third-parties
lolol
I suppose

Xenoblade Chronicles X is over 20 GB though, as is the Nintendo-published Lego City Undercover. I'm not sure what Smash is with DLC but it was already something over 10 GB. So Nintendo could easily use 16 and 32GB even with Wii U ports.

I'm mainly thinking about thirds, but if Nintendo can cover it without increasing the fee then it will be fine. Only Nintendo and select partners know what's going on right now but I'm really interested to see what Nintendo does for physical media.

Jackano

Even if I tend to believe in Smash/Mario Maker/Splatoon being choose as ports, I don't believe Emily/Dr_Cupcake/others that (for now) looks just like "it seems we're going there, I'll take some buzz by just retelling what is believed as GAF concensus, and if it ends up wrong, it would be everyone else fault anyway so it's a win-win".
After the 3D printed hoax, the community sounds like finding some comfort in following this trend.

Luigiv

Well if the console is as "easy to port to" and "noticeably more powerful" as 10k says, then devs might not even need to try to make the NX version definitive. Assuming the rumour means the NX is running an AMD APU, just like the other 2, then very little extra optimisation would be required and we could see the system simply brute strength it's way to a measurably more stable framerates at the same settings as PS4. It wouldn't be huge but it would be something.

The only reason that wouldn't be the case would be if the NX introduced a new bottleneck, not present in the PS4, that devs would have to actively program around. But, again given the rumour, that doesn't seem particularly likely but this all speculation.

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see.

marmoka

Banned
Smash Bros port's graphics should be drastically improved. Wii U version looks like a PS2 game upscaled to HD, only the character models are more updated. But the game runs in 1080p 60fps, it was worth it. But still should be improved drastically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom