• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

meanspartan

It is weird that a lot of people's first thought about a new console is can it play games from the old console...the console they already own and can play those games on right now if they like. It's sure convenient but it couldn't be further from a deal breaker for me.

I guess Nintendo will just port a few big games over and leave it at that.

I dont care with Ps3 to Ps4. With Wii U, I and a lot of people care because we skipped Wii U as it has had the stench of death on it for a while, but it does have about 5 or so games on it I REALLY want to play and would be enough to get me to buy into NX early on.

E-phonk

Banned
Does that mean they are NOT doing backcompat? If so, seriously disappointing. I would be day 1 on NX if it plays Wii U games.

They've done backcompat for the last two gens and even further back on handhelds, all the way back to the 1980s in fact lol. I hope they don't abandon it here.

N64 > GC didn't have it. And from GC on they have been using the same tech (powerPC). It's that same tech that hold them back with WiiU: no one is developing power PC anymore (except for some smaller server side business), for a console it's a dead tech. IBM stopped actively developing power PC quite soon after the WiiU release.

So it would always have been very unlikely they'd have (wiiU) BC. 3DS BC is still possible.

vazel

Banned
NOOOO, if they're making ports of Wii U games then that means the NX has no backwards compatibility, which means Bayonetta 2 and TW101 are stuck for the foreseeable future on the Wii U until Nintendo decides to create a Wii U emulator for its VC service. :(

Nibel

NOOOO, if they're making ports of Wii U games then that means the NX has no backwards compatibility, which means Bayonetta 2 and TW101 are stuck for the foreseeable future on the Wii U until Nintendo decides to create a Wii U emulator for its VC service. :(

...or maybe there will a Platinum Collection on NX

Does that mean they are NOT doing backcompat? If so, seriously disappointing. I would be day 1 on NX if it plays Wii U games.

They've done backcompat for the last two gens and even further back on handhelds, all the way back to the 1980s in fact lol. I hope they don't abandon it here.

It doesn't really mean anything in that regard. It could go either way. Xbox One is loaded with remasters and we're still getting backwards compatibility, including every 1st party game Microsoft has remastered.

The biggest indicator of whether or not we're getting it is the hardware architecture. We got it two generations in a row on Nintendo home consoles because Nintendo's been iterating on the architecture they developed for the GCN each time (basically the same thing for the GBA/DS/3DS, and the GBA just plopped in the GBC CPU because it was cheap). The consoles have been backwards compatible simply by default. If Nintendo goes to x86 instead of another PowerPC-based system, then there's a chance they drop BC. However, if the hardware is anywhere near as powerful as we think, Nintendo could absolutely get backwards compatibility running through emulation, like Microsoft. PowerPC emulation on x86 is far from a foreign concept, and if Microsoft could get 360 running on Xbox One, Wii U on NX should be a comparative walk in the park.

Again, no it doesn't.

Backward compatibility and remasters serve different purposes.

Kaisos

With Wii U, I and a lot of people care because we skipped Wii U as it has had the stench of death on it for a while.

I've never understood this logic. Who cares about whether a console is a market failure if it has games you want to play? Are you afraid of being judged or something?

Wouldn't mind giving splatoon a spin with a normal controller and without the "my first online game" restrictions.

Have you played Splatoon?

...or maybe there will a Platinum Collection on NX

Given how those games sold it's never going to happen.

tzare

I've never understood this logic. Who cares about whether a console is a market failure if it has games you want to play? Are you afraid of being judged by your mates or something?

maybe people do no have unlimited money and have to choose. I'd like to play QB but i won't spend +250€ to buy a console for one or a few games. NX may be 3rd party friendly so that could justify buying it in some cases.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
If you dont have one by now, you wouldn't have got one anyway.

I was honestly waiting for Zelda and that game alone can push me to buy a WiiU (and the great first party titles already available) but if it's coming to NX and with a console with good specs and easy to develop for (if rumors are true) then better to wait.

Banned
As long as I can play Double Dash online Nintendo have my money already.

It will never happen, but if NX launched with a digital library complete with a majority of their old games there would be no one who wouldn't think about buying one.

KORNdoggy

power isn't it's problem. it's late arrival and third party support are it's problem. if nintendo can somehow secure a couple of MASSIVE third party exclusives it might make them a more attractive prospect (we're talking GTA big here, not something niche like BG+E2).

but if it's just ports of Wii-U games and NX only mario and zelda yet again, using the same gimmick as the Wii-U (second screen gaming) 3 years too late, who exactly is going to rush out to buy that?

Futaba

Imagine if Nintendo revealed at E3 that NX is actually just the vitality sensor for WiiU, the chaos would be awe inspiring.

I still don't see who Nintendo's expanded audience is, even given a console a bit more powerful than PS4.

This is something i have argued in the past, and i still sort of believe it now. I'm still one foot and a half feet in the nintendo need to offer something different camp.

But i been kind of looking through the games available on the PS4/X1 are noticed there is a severe lack of games aimed at young people and younger teenagers. I mean there are the lego games and Minecraft, and Sony are releasing the seemingly excellent Ratchet and Clank , but there isn't much else.

But it is something that Nintendo offer, and if they combine that with what third parties offer, they could initially position themselves as the machine for everyone again.

Despite the roaring success of the Lego games and Minecraft (and pokemon) i find it odd and sad that no one else other than nintendo offer that PG rated experience. The 3DS pillar in a way as singly handedly offer that experience to some success.

Also it feels like there isn't much variety on each console, each are kind of shoe horned into different audiences, so offering a console that as more variety in software could be really appealing.

Kaisos

but if it's just ports of Wii-U games and NX only mario and zelda yet again, using the same gimmick as the Wii-U (second screen gaming) 3 years too late, who exactly is going to rush out to buy that?

Nobody, but that's most likely what we're going to get.

Shin-chan

Just release with a 3D Mario and I will buy the console. I don't need anything else.

I'd rather see a sequel to Splatoon though. The game has an awesome foundation but it felt a bit lifeless to me. I know it's focus is the multiplayer but I'd love to see a more robust single player and more local options. Multiplayer shooters don't hold my attention anymore and I found Splatoons "campaign" pretty dull.

power isn't it's problem. it's late arrival and third party support are it's problem. if nintendo can somehow secure a couple of MASSIVE third party exclusives it might make them a more attractive prospect (we're talking GTA big here, not something niche like BG+E2).

Part of me would be fascinated to see Nintendo pull a massive coup, like getting the next Red Dead six months early or something (and with the enhanced power, bragging about having the best edition), but the majority of me knows Nintendo would never try it.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
It's Monolith Soft's style tho. Monolith soft seems to go for more density than Nintendo themselves. Though Zelda could also go in that direction too.

But you are right for the most part. A majority of their games are simple by design giving you clear, clean images. Been a focus of theirs sense the NES to keep it simple, keep it clean.

It's the artstyle and I love it.. Skyward Sword is an amazing looking game and that's on the Wii.

Bumping my post as im curious to get others thoughts and conclusions on this.

So Nintendo are going to release a $300 - $399 dollar console, with all the cutting edge spec that is being speculated?

Big old gamble, the people that buy PS4 and X1 in the majority don't care about Nintendo or its first party, are locked into an ecosystem into which they have 3 years of investment and have to deal with the not exactly mature looking or refined methods of system interaction, OS or online infrastructure of kid friendly Nintendo.

Nanashrew

Banned

It's not going to be just ports. there will be new games. The ports are just there to fill in gaps. No hardware manufacturer launched without a couple of ports or remasters and they even had major 3rd party support.

I do agree though that they do need to secure some 3rd party games coming soon and not have late "definitive edition" ports. If the system is easy to develop for, then they need to have more frequent negotiation with 3rd parties to get their game on their system. Easy to develop for is only 1 step in a long line of steps they need to accomplish in fixing their relations.

leeh

It will be atractive depending on a number of factors:
-price : except for a few that buy all consoles regardless of the price, and nintendo fans
-power : it has to offer enough improvement over current consoles to be atractive to the PS4/XBO owners for multiplatform games. And this has direct impact on price too, unless heavily subsidised, and that is not how Nintendo has done things in the past.
- Nintendo has AAA IP, but Sony and MS also have their own, Halo, Uncharted etc.... so people that can only afford one console, or maybe two will have to chose: Mario, master chief, nathan drake??? And considering many of them have already chosen and own a ps4 or an XBO, may wait until their successors are released to buy again and well, ps5 and XB2 may have again the power advantage that implies better multiplatform games.

If i were nintendo i'd launch closer to ps5/XB2 presumible launch, to match them in specs/price instead of midgen

As for ports from WiiU it makes sense , as it made sense to release Uncharted or TLOU remastered for those ps4 owners that owned a 360 and not a ps3.
Exactly, so it will be sat along side the current-gen consoles what we have now. Exactly why I made the point that I feel like its one of the main contributing factors to the incremental upgrades from both MS/Sony.

This is something i have argued in the past, and i still sort of believe it now. I'm still one foot and a half feet in the nintendo need to offer something different camp.

But i been kind of looking through the games available on the PS4/X1 are noticed there is a severe lack of games aimed at young people and younger teenagers. I mean there are the lego games and Minecraft, and Sony are releasing the seemingly excellent Ratchet and Clank , but there isn't much else.

But it is something that Nintendo offer, and if they combine that with what third parties offer, they could initially position themselves as the machine for everyone again.

Despite the roaring success of the Lego games and Minecraft (and pokemon) i find it odd and sad that no one else other than nintendo offer that PG rated experience. The 3DS pillar in a way as singly handedly offer that experience to some success.

Also it feels like there isn't much variety on each console, each are kind of shoe horned into different audiences, so offering a console that as more variety in software could be really appealing.

Kids don't buy Nintendo, the 3DS numbers are way off the DS (the kids all want smartphones / tablets) and they certainly don't buy Nintendo home consoles.

Nintendo haven't made a console for everybody, take the Wii out (an anomaly whose success was built around mainstream interest around the control gimmick) and the console for everyone thing doesn't fly, unless everyone is around 25 - 30 million who likes Zelda.

trugs26

I'm okay with a Mario Maker port, since it's once of those games you just continually build upon like Minecraft. But I'd rather them work on Splatoon 2 than a port of Splatoon.

E-phonk

Banned
Where? Why is it that the only things we've heard about this system involve WiiU ports and vague promises of Being Powerful? Why has nothing actually significant leaked?
Because new nintendo first party games rarely get leaked (before E3 week).
Also there is the beyond good & evil 2 rumour. We also had a gaffer talking about a "big" multiplat AAA online game that he alpha/beta tested that was running on NX.

Shiggy

Which 3rd party games would Nintendo realistically secure exclusivety deals for? BG&E2? That would pretty much be like Bayonetta 2, nobody would care about it. What about bringing their characters into 3rd party games? Sounds more likely, but certainly won't improve sales by much.

antonz

Where? Why is it that the only things we've heard about this system involve WiiU ports and vague promises of Being Powerful? Why has nothing actually significant leaked?

Significant Nintendo news is never going to just randomly fall from the sky. Especially when it comes to games and the like. Ports are easy to talk about especially if 3rd parties are handling them. No one within Nintendo itself is going to leak the next Mario game etc.

Ubisoft Casablanca was a significant source of Wii U information and people within Casablanaca did a piss poor job of covering their tracks. This time around those mistakes are not happening again.

Nictel

Which 3rd party games would Nintendo realistically secure exclusivety deals for? BG&E2? That would pretty much be like Bayonetta 2, nobody would care about it. What about bringing their characters into 3rd party games? Sounds more likely, but certainly won't improve sales by much.
HGDpVoC.gif

Big old gamble, the people that buy PS4 and X1 in the majority don't care about Nintendo or its first party, are locked into an ecosystem into which they have 3 years of investment and have to deal with the not exactly mature looking or refined methods of system interaction, OS or online infrastructure of kid friendly Nintendo.

Those people only care about NBA 2K, FIFA, Madden and COD. If the NX gets ports of those, Nintendo will win big as they will be able to capture a piece of that market in addition to its current child-friendly fanbase.

TheJoRu

Ports may be worked on by outsourced companies in the West, and is as such more prone to leaks, whereas new games are probably kept hidden at internal studios in Japan and perhaps to select people at NoA/NoE.

Nanashrew

Banned

Well... Do you really expect Nintendo to release a new system with just up ports of their own games and nothing else? No one would do that, not even Nintendo.

We won't hear about Nintendo's 1st party line-up for NX for awhile. So many things are still being held close to their chest.

Busty

Banned
I still don't see who Nintendo's expanded audience is, even given a console a bit more powerful than PS4.

This. If the technology is cheap enough then sure, but the Nintendo die hards and the younger audience aren't going to give a shit about textures and what not on a title like Mario Kart.

I honestly don't know why Nintendo would even bother with any sort if 3rd exclusivity this time around. They don't 'move the needle' anywhere but on GAF threads so what's the point? At this point Nintendo know their audience and are able to market and cater for them perfectly.

Maybe there were just no more Gamecubes to duct tape.

*pours one out for the Gamecube*

Goodnight sweet prince .

Wont improve sales at all, if people who don't care about first party Nintendo, why would they care about Nintendo characters in 3rd party games?

Nintendo's style (like Miitomo) is cutesy and distinctly Japanese, and for the majority of gamers, especially in the West, those that buy PS and Xbox, this is unappealing.

That is why their consoles have been selling to the same Nintendo fanbase since the SNES.

I would want a more refined, grown up OS, up to date and modern feature set, competitive network features, good hardware and full 3rd parry support.

Anything less is a downgrade from the existing platforms.

I heard rumors about the NX being around $400. If that is the case, even IF it is more powerful than PS4, I think it will be seriously detrimental to the console. I don't care how powerful it is, after the Wii U, it should be around $299-$349 and even $349 could be pushing it.

Those people only care about NBA 2K, FIFA, Madden and COD. If the NX gets ports of those, Nintendo will win big as they will be able to capture a piece of that market in addition to its current child-friendly fanbase.

But kids are not buying Nintendo, child friendly did nothing for the Wii U.

Actually, has anyone talked about what API NX will be using? Obviously it won't use DX12, but I wonder if Nintendo will go with Vulkan or Mantle? Or maybe a custom version of OpenGL/OpenCL? I like to see them adapt to Mantle or Vulkan.

E-phonk

Banned
Which 3rd party games would Nintendo realistically secure exclusivety deals for?
Stuff like Yokai Watch NX, Monster Hunter NX, Exclusive Lego Game NX, Final Fantasy Spinoff NX, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Shovel Knight II and who knows, Mega Man NX

Actually, has anyone talked about what API NX will be using? Obviously it won't use DX12, but I wonder if Nintendo will go with Vulkan or Mantle? Or maybe a custom version of OpenGL/OpenCL? I like to see them adapt to Mantle or Vulkan.

We know they are part of the VULKAN Khronos Group. So my guess would be Vulkan and openGL

Nanashrew

Banned
Back in the NES days, Nintendo had a thing that if you make a game for their system it needs exclusive new content. I wonder if they should go back to that. It is something the rest of the industry adopted from Nintendo.

AniHawk

realistically? it really depends on what the nx is. if there's a shared library, i can imagine a monster hunter spinoff (like monster hunter stories or monster hunter x), yo-kai watch, sonic the hedgehog, games from atlus, and maybe a remake of dragon quest ix, a new dragon quest monsters, or some other square-enix stuff.

in the west, probably nothing. beyond good & evil 2 is simply a fantasy for it to even be in development at this point. beyond that, it would have to be something like scribblenauts or lego city undercover.

that said, it's really not like third-party exclusives happen anymore. if nintendo did secure the above, it would differentiate their platform from the competition.

And yet these people care about money. If Nintendo act cleverly, they will aggressively target the big upcoming online titles of the next five years, and give gamers a platform to play these games for free.

If I'm Gary gamer, I am most likely completely uninvested in Sony's lacking first party efforts this generation, If I can pick up a more powerful gaming system and save myself £50 a year by doing so, then why wouldn't I?

After all, Nintendo's online systems are only getting better.

Nanashrew

Banned
I heard rumors about the NX being around $400. If that is the case, even IF it is moe powerful than PS4, I think it will be seriously detrimental to the console.

There's no way anyone would know the price of the system before officially being revealed. That stuff is far more confidential than anything in the rumors we're hearing.

Reddit threads always brought up price or the "official" name of the system. Both things, no one would know about at all until its unveiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom