• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

omonimo

Banned
I think people should stop to think about the power when we are talking of a new Nintendo console. Really. It has never been the Nintendo target. They need to sell at the lower price point possible.

I'm expecting Nintendo to lock down some kind of big Japanese exclusive, like a Monster Hunter or even something from SE. Probably nothing Western apart from BG&E2, maybe another Lego game.

Lego Legend Of Zelda.

Which 3rd party games would Nintendo realistically secure exclusivety deals for? BG&E2? That would pretty much be like Bayonetta 2, nobody would care about it. What about bringing their characters into 3rd party games? Sounds more likely, but certainly won't improve sales by much.

Hey now, Bayonetta 2 is way bigger name than something like BG&E2.

antonz

Exclusives are great but exclusives are almost an extinct concept as far as 3rd parties go. Nintendo simply needs to be on the tracks to get the 3rd party efforts along with everyone else.

At the end of the day 1st party content is what is supposed to drive your decision making purpose. 3rd party multiplatform titles are simply bonus. I mean afterall if all you are doing s buying consoles for multiplatform titles you may as well just get with the program and buy a PC as consoles adopt the buy new upgrades every so often.

If you do not like Nintendo games then obviously a Nintendo console is never going to be your thing

BG&E2 would be more of a critical darling than a big seller. But it would strengthen their ties with Ubisoft and it could pull people who like bigger budget quirky/indie/art games onto their system.

Maybe Nintendo can resurrect other dead/dormant projects, like Star Wars 1313.

Lego Metroid. With level builder.

AniHawk

I'm expecting Nintendo to lock down some kind of big Japanese exclusive, like a Monster Hunter or even something from SE. Probably nothing Western apart from BG&E2, maybe a another Lego game.

Lego Legend Of Zelda.

my guess on monster hunter is that monster hunter 5 will be multiplatform ps4/nx while nx gets more of the games that aren't part of the main series, while the ps4 main game is there simply to sell better in the west. capcom might be investing a lot in the game to bring it from ps2/psp/wii/3ds levels to nx levels.

i think we'll see japan look at ps4 and nx as a single entity starting in 2017, especially as ps vita dies off. it'll be a lot like how western publishers view microsoft and sony consoles as a single audience.

my guess on monster hunter is that monster hunter 5 will be multiplatform ps4/nx while nx gets more of the games that aren't part of the main series, while the ps4 main game is there simply to sell better in the west. capcom might be investing a lot in the game to bring it from ps2/psp/wii/3ds levels to nx levels.

i think we'll see japan look at ps4 and nx as a single entity starting in 2017, especially as ps vita dies off. it'll be a lot like how western publishers view microsoft and sony consoles as a single audience.
Alternatively, what if Capcom shift MHX2 to PS4/NX console and MH5 becomes handheld exclusive.

Rodin

Not sure if discussed, and not to say i don't believe 10k and his sources, but the reasoning behind NX>PS4 seems a bit silly. Because if Jaguar is a bottleneck for the PS4, then Nintendo could have still used a less powerful (or on par) GPU but with a stronger CPU to avoid bottlenecks.

On the other hand, if they know that it's more powerful all around and threw in that motivation too, then it's a different thing.

Also, seems i got all the 4 ports right :p

EDIT: not sure why people are downplaying NX being more powerful than PS4 (assuming it's true of course) after they spent 4 years mocking the Wii U, shitting on it and asking for a powerful Nintendo console again?

Blues1990

Wont improve sales at all, if people who don't care about first party Nintendo, why would they care about Nintendo characters in 3rd party games?

Nintendo's style (like Miitomo) is cutesy and distinctly Japanese, and for the majority of gamers, especially in the West, those that buy PS and Xbox, this is unappealing.

That is why their consoles have been selling to the same Nintendo fanbase since the SNES.

I would want a more refined, grown up OS, up to date and modern feature set, competitive network features, good hardware and full 3rd parry support.

Anything less is a downgrade from the existing platforms.

You do realize that even if Nintendo did all the above, the PS4/XBO audience are going to outright ignore the Nintendo NX, due to them just being content with what they have, right?

It's a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of situation here.

I'm less interested in the power, and more interested in Nintendo's ability to put together a robust and cohesive online strategy. Simple integration of shop, purchases, friends list, invites, messaging and voice chat. Nintendo games will always be good, no matter the power, but for this to be a modern console I expect an experience that matches the competitors, not just a comparable CPU / GPU.

E-phonk

Banned
I'm less interested in the power, and more interested in Nintendo's ability to put together a robust and cohesive online strategy. Simple integration of shop, purchases, friends list, invites, messaging and voice chat. Nintendo games will always be good, no matter the power, but for this to be a modern console I expect an experience that matches the competitors, not just a comparable CPU / GPU.

I expect everything except voice chat.
Shop and purchases they already did behind the scenes (they now have a web-eshop, you can see all your purchases tied to you nintendo account). They also already have a friend list and invite system.

omonimo

Banned
Not sure if discussed, and not to say i don't believe 10k and his sources, but the reasoning behind NX>PS4 seems a bit silly. Because if Jaguar is a bottleneck for the PS4, then Nintendo could have still used a less powerful (or on par) GPU but with a stronger CPU to avoid bottlenecks.

On the other hand, if they know[/] that it's more powerful all around and threw in that motivation too, then it's a different thing.

Also, seems i got all the 4 ports right :p

It is possible to have a more powerful hardware. But I don't believe for a second Nintendo has the intention to sell it at higher price. It's the only way to have a more powerful machine. I don't know how they could if they want to stay as lower as possible without lose.

You do realize that even if Nintendo did all the above, the PS4/XBO audience are going to outright ignore the Nintendo NX, due to them just being content with what they have, right?

One could say that this is Nintendo trying to muddy Sony and MS's year 4/5/etc of their console's lifespan. The combined sales of the PS4/XB1 are, what - about 60 million at this moment? There's a potentially a lot of sales that can be stolen from them from people who haven't locked down whether they want a PS4 or XB1. Whether Nintendo can do it though...

geordiemp

Those people only care about NBA 2K, FIFA, Madden and COD. If the NX gets ports of those, Nintendo will win big as they will be able to capture a piece of that market in addition to its current child-friendly fanbase.

You really are so far off the mark - those people play in clans online in big parties of 4 to 8

No X party chat = its dead other than to the Nintendo faithful for starters.

I agree, and that's why (and I await to be proven wrong) I believe Nintendo can't get back into the mix in the home console market.

They abandoned the user that carried that market since the early days to chase different things, now that market is gone (to phones and tablets etc) they are now trying to get back in.

Durante

Based off my high school programming skills and some research, it seems like x86 to ARM does require more work, x86 is 64-bit and ARM is 32-bit. But any decent compiler supports 64-bit math on ARM. The dev's mainly recompile the code into ARM, and then the integer values get changed, and fix any errors that come up, recompile again, see if it works, rinse and repeat.
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd like to note that this description is complete voodoo chicken bullshit, start to finish.

Rodin

It is possible to have a more powerful hardware. But I don't believe for a second Nintendo has the intention to sell it at higher price. It's the only way to have a more powerful machine. I don't know how they could if they want to stay as lower as possible without lose.
I believe that a console reasonably more powerful than PS4 sold at 299$ at cost or very small margin is feasible, but that depends on how expensive the new gimmick is.

From what we know Sony wants to sell the PS4K at 499, and that console should have a 2x more powerful GPU, stronger CPU, 4K Blu-Ray drive and possibly GDDR5X if they want to allow simpler games to run at 4K. That's way more expensive than what Nintendo will have, especially the BR should raise the cost quite a lot.

So i think that if Sony can do that at 499, N should be able to beat vanilla PS4 at 299, even if not by a huge margin.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd like to note that this description is complete voodoo chicken bullshit, start to finish.
To be fair that 10k's take on the subject, not something his sources told him. That bit is not that important anyway, although it's obviously incorrect.

Grady

Don't believe this guy. Sources getting worried about what he's going to post. If they were so worried they never would have gave him the info. Also, getting information from sources he doesn't even know. That doesn't even make sense. How many sources does this guy have?

omonimo

Banned
I believe that a console reasonably more powerful than PS4 sold at 299$ at cost or very small margin is feasible, but that depends on how expensive the new gimmick is.

From what we know Sony wants to sell the PS4K at 499, and that console should have a 2x more powerful GPU, stronger CPU, 4K Blu-Ray drive and possibly GDDR5X if they want to allow simpler games to run at 4K. That's way more expensive than what Nintendo will have, especially the BR should raise the cost quite a lot.

So i think that if Sony can do that at 499, N should be able to beat vanilla PS4 at 299, even if not by a huge margin.
299 bucks? I really doubt it. At the best you can have a comparable machine. Maybe.

E-phonk

Banned

He said in the original thread it was his own (faulty) interpretation and not part of the rumour

Don't believe this guy. Sources getting worried about what he's going to post. If they were so worried they never would have gave him the info. Also, getting information from sources he doesn't even know. That doesn't even make sense. How many sources does this guy have?

Other gaffers in the know semi-confirmed most of what he said in the other (closed) thread. That's why a new one got made.

AniHawk

I agree, and that's why (and I await to be proven wrong) I believe Nintendo can't get back into the mix in the home console market.

They abandoned the user that carried that market since the early days to chase different things, now that market is gone (to phones and tablets etc) they are now trying to get back in.

nintendo never really abandoned video game fans who enjoyed the kinds of games nintendo made. that was the perception among people who stopped buying their consoles and games when they became interested in other things.

nintendo's reach is diminished, but still strong within dedicated hardware due to the 3ds. i'd argue that the wii u was more or less a luxury item for a lot of this fanbase and the go-to item for families (meaning, with younger kids) wanting a newer console upgrading from their wii or 360.

KORNdoggy

yup. and a lot of that stems from nintendo's recent habit of releasing consoles mid gen.

if they launched alongside the PS5 and Xboxtwo with comparable/better hardware and similar/lower price then people can weigh up the benefits of the consoles and make their decision. it's still an uphill struggle for nintendo because Sony and MS are super established in the market now and people buy them based on brand alone. but it would give them a better chance of success then releasing mid gen when most people have made a decision and are happy with what they have already.

i think it would help if nintendo themselves paved the way for a more adult audience and adult third party offerings too and developed something that was higher then an E for everyone rating, because on top of everything else they need to shake off some of that kiddy image...not all, since people still love mario and zelda etc...but they need to do something for the people who actually grew up.

Nearly all of my Wii U games are digital copies. If the NX releases and a bunch of superior ports are released for it, then I'm going to be pissed off unless they offer some kind of major discount. I knknew when I bought them that being unable to sell them was a fact I would need to accept, but I expected them not to become obsolete in less time than a single generation, which is hardly fucking unreasonable.

Kysen

All that extra power wont mean shit if the online services aren't up to scratch. Just look at the COD ports on wiiu.

AniHawk

think it would help if nintendo themselves paved the way for a more adult audience and adult third party offerings too and developed something that was higher then an E for everyone rating, because on top of everything else they need to shake off some of that kiddy image...not all, since people still love mario and zelda etc...but they need to do something for the people who actually grew up.

i don't think nintendo needs to cater to the teens of 2001-2005 who were worried about being taken seriously when the 'kiddy' term was originally used to broadly define their library. if anything, those now-20 somethings and 30 somethings are starting families of their own, might be feeling nostalgic, and want something that's different from what's being offered on other dedicated hardware.

of course, speaking in terms like this as though it actually matters to the future of dedicated hardware is rather antiquated. it's not like dedicated hardware is what's moving the industry forward anymore. that stuff is happening on digital storefronts and through peripherals.

antonz

There is no brand loyalty in the console business outside of sites like Gaf etc. Consoles sell based off what they offer and the value of the offer.
If its compelling it will sell. If it is lazy and not compelling it will not.

Nintendo has to make the argument that what they offer is compelling and if they can it will sell. It isn't rocket science. There are no lizard men conspiracies against Nintendo or anything of the sort. Wii U was a disaster in development and offered no compelling reason for its long term existence

Nearly all of my Wii U games are digital copies. If the NX releases and a bunch of superior ports are released for it, then I'm going to be pissed off unless they offer some kind of major discount. I know there are inherent risks when buying digital games, and not being able to sell them is up there, but I expect them not to become obsolete in less time than a single generation.

Obsolete? Come on now. You can still play them. Maybe with fewer if any online players but your Wii U doesn't explode the day after NX comes out. Nintendo need an account system you can tie purchases to but you can still play these games next year and they're not 'obsolete.'

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ok, I scratched my head some over this (and I won't even comment on the voodoo chicken part - 10k commented out of left field there):

I disagreed with them on this but they made some excellent points about how porting from ARM to x86 (handheld to console) and x86 to x86 (current PS4 and XB1 games to NX) is very easy, while it's a bit more tricky to go from x86 to ARM (console to handheld).

How is x86->arm porting more tricky than arm->x86 porting?

I expect everything except voice chat.
Shop and purchases they already did behind the scenes (they now have a web-eshop, you can see all your purchases tied to you nintendo account). They also already have a friend list and invite system.

That's good to know; I really had stopped paying attention to what they'd added in terms of functionality, as I'd long since assumed it wouldn't be my go-to console for online play, other than the odd exclusive. That's the kind of impression I want them to right this time, it's no good adding features that have come to be considered industry standards over the course of a console's life time.

For their sakes, I really hope voice chat is there. I had enough awkward conversations with people when it was half arsed on the Wii U, and the response was always the same, astonishment and the sense that the console was even more antiquated.

AniHawk

There is no brand loyalty in the console business outside of sites like Gaf etc. Consoles sell based off what they offer and the value of the offer.
If its compelling it will sell. If it is lazy and not compelling it will not.

Nintendo has to make the argument that what they offer is compelling and if they can it will sell. It isn't rocket science. There are no lizard men conspiracies against Nintendo or anything of the sort. Wii U was a disaster in development and offered no compelling reason for its long term existence

wii u is probably the biggest clusterfuck i could witness happening in real-time. i thought ps3 was bad (ps vita was kind of... well, it was more like sony just didn't care), but the wii u was like nintendo was actively trying to make something truly unappealing. it's bewildering how much they got wrong at almost every single turn, and how royally it fucked their shit up for so long. that thing was like a bomb that detonated in 2012 with shockwaves that were felt up to early 2014 and as far back as 2010.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Part of me would be fascinated to see Nintendo pull a massive coup, like getting the next Red Dead six months early or something (and with the enhanced power, bragging about having the best edition), but the majority of me knows Nintendo would never try it.

Why would they go after a franchise that's never had any relation to Nintendo hardware or it's fanbase?
And Rockstar would be out of their minds to piss away all of that hard work and money on a fanbase that would ignore it anyway.

Ansatz

nintendo never really abandoned video game fans who enjoyed the kinds of games nintendo made. that was the perception among people who stopped buying their consoles and games when they became interested in other things.

I agree, but it's not a change of interest in the player's part either. It's that in the 90s hardware limited what you could do in video games so Nintendo was cutting edge in the areas people actually seemed to value.

For example now that you can render vast landscapes, photo realistic human expressions, etc. people have naturally gravitated towards those games because this type of AAA experience in their mind has always been the natural evolution of video games. I think interest in Nintendo peaked with Ocarina of Time, that game was the GTA V or TLoU of its time while now people just don't want an abstract puzzle game, it's not why they played Zelda to begin with (unlike me who always thought of them as glorified puzzle games and the dungeon designs being central to the franchise, so Nintendo agrees with me on that)

Obsolete? Come on now. You can still play them. Maybe with fewer if any online players but your Wii U doesn't explode the day after NX comes out. Nintendo need an account system you can tie purchases to but you can still play these games next year and they're not 'obsolete.'

You obviously don't know what "obsolete" means. It doesn't mean something no longer functions; it means it's outdated and has been replaced. And as you just specifically pointed out, it could mean fewer/no online players. How the hell is that not obsolete?

KORNdoggy

i don't think nintendo needs to cater to the teens of 2001-2005 who were worried about being taken seriously when the 'kiddy' term was originally used to broadly define their library. if anything, those now-20 somethings and 30 somethings are starting families of their own, might be feeling nostalgic, and want something that's different from what's being offered on other dedicated hardware.

that stuff would still be there, its nintendo after all, it has to be. i'm simply saying they need to inspire faith in developers that the likes of GTA and other adult games are at home on their system. otherwise it literally looks like you slid in a page of porn into a pepper pig book. lol

Peru

Exactly, the Wii U was mishandled as hell and I think the couple of genuine hits it has produced, even with new IPs, if anything should tell us the appeal Nintendo has, how they in some ways own a niche of their own with in terms of non-western AAA console experiences - even when the console screams flop the core audience for that is there.

And they don't need GTA on their machine, they need more of that unique software, and a promise that it's the place to be for that from the get-go.

i think it would help if nintendo themselves paved the way for a more adult audience and adult third party offerings too and developed something that was higher then an E for everyone rating, because on top of everything else they need to shake off some of that kiddy image...not all, since people still love mario and zelda etc...but they need to do something for the people who actually grew up.

Kiddy image isn't a problem for them anymore, really. That's an old talking point that seems irrelevant today. They also have several high profile teen+ titles, from the jrpgs on wii u, monster hunter , Bayonetta.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Smash Bros will have new characters added - including Haruka Amami from The iDOLM@STER

iDOLM@STER Platinum Stars is one of the rumoured Bamco titles already in development for the system, hence the cross promotion in Smash.

Mystery Costumes of a selection of popular iDOLs will be made available in Mario Maker.

Splatoon will be a sequel rather than a port. Squid Sister crossover concert with iM@S idols will be held to promote it. Platinum Stars will have Squid Sister outfits as exclusive NX content.

Majukun

my opinion is still that it doesn't really matter what the Nx will be..they have no chance of it being a success since they burned bridges with pretty much any demographic on the market right now,AND they are going against two already established consoles...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I thought he said he was verified by mods before making the post, but I may be wrong.

Peru

my opinion is still that it doesn't really matter what the Nx will be..they have no chance of it being a success since they burned bridges with pretty much any demographic on the market right now,AND they are going against two already established consoles...

Such an absolutist statement that doesn't hold up when scrutinized. They're successful - even today! The 3DS is sailing at 60 million, the latest Fire Emblem released on it is the franchise's biggest hit, that system has produced other big hits, even with 3rd party releases and new IPs - and even the mishandled Wii U has a couple of blockbuster winners, despite it all. If there's any truth to the NX delivering both what we look on as console and handheld library in one family - if Nintendo play their cards remotely well - then there is in fact almost no way that it won't be at least a modest success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom