• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
It doesn't make sense to me to be a different architecture than the handheld, which will surely be ARM. It doesn't make sense to me to be more powerful than the PS4 (power is not important to Nintendo's success historically, it increases the dev costs of their games unnecessarily, and it puts technological distance between the handheld and the console). It doesn't make sense to me that the console is their primary focus (the line about the New 3DS shoring up the 3DS for 2016 is really based on what, exactly?).

At least there has been talks from Nintendo (or rumors ?) about changing their state of mind on those matters. Like realizing that having power saving consoles wasn't doing anything for sales.. And it wasn't the good strategy.

Now at least i'm certain of something. In the past, it was possible to say Nintendo wouldn't benefit from a lot of power cause their style and production value wouldn't benefit from it. But not anymore. Nintendo has showed on WiiU an ability and the will to have a LOT of fun artistically with shaders, light etc.. And they'll go crazy with more power. MK8, or even 3D World scream "give us more and we'll go full cgi movie on you"

I need to know now Nintendo!! I like what I hear so far. I'm glad they didn't go out of their way to make it less powerful like they did with Wii U. I'm really hoping Pokken gets ported too. It doesn't even hit 720p on Wii U, it could use a roster bump as well.

They will not remaster every game :)

But there will be a Pokken 2 on NX for sure.

Now suddenly power isn't the problem lol. I thought a couple of years ago people started saying the Wii U didn't get ports because it was teh weak 7 year old ancient hw!!!!
Now it's supposedly powerful enough or even more powerful than the PS4, but it somehow doesn't matter anymore....

Nintendo doomed since 1889.

The main problem with Nintendo from my perspective is that they have criminally underused their IP in the past. That's changing, but it's like turning around and oil tanker - it takes time. You need mind share. They had that with Wii because of the gimmick but Wii was the brand, not Nintendo. I think Nintendo now recognise that - the rebranding, the universal studios deal, rumours of a Mario movie etc. I think they've FINALLY realised that they haven't really had consumer mind share in the west since the N64 days and even then, it was in decline. They have now recognised, thankfully, that they need to get back inside kid's heads and imaginations and make them WANT Nintendo products. To this end, if they carry on using their IP appropriately, I expect NX to be a small bump from Wii U (GC level sales) and the real improvement to come the gen after.

tldr; Nintendo are culpable of gross underutilisation of some of the most recognisable brands in entertainment and they've only just woken up and smelled the coffee and sales won't happen overnight.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think the most disappointing thing is the handheld being on the back burner. I love Nintendo handhelds, and I'm ready for a new platform with all of the recent advances the mobile space has brought us. That seems like a far our project now though. :(

Zalman

I don't agree, personally. The Wii U is obviously a catastrophic failure, but Nintendo absolutely has to protect its real revenue generator and likely the core of its future gaming business, the dedicated handheld market. I'm surprised they are putting so much focus on consoles. I mean, obviously I understand why they want to do it, but it's a market where I feel the chance of them being boxed out is higher and the risk is lower (it's already eroded from their business). The N3DS is not meaningfully prolonging the life of the 3DS, especially in Japan, so I would have thought the handheld would be out first. Prior to this last rumor run, I thought for sure that would be the conventional wisdom.
I was mostly basing it off the fact that the 3DS has big hitters coming this year, such as Pokémon, but you make a good point. For the record, I don't actually think the gap between the console and the handheld releases will be as big as it traditionally has been. I could see them address both at E3, especially if the shared library theory is true.

Ansatz

I don't agree, personally. The Wii U is obviously a catastrophic failure, but Nintendo absolutely has to protect its real revenue generator and likely the core of its future gaming business, the dedicated handheld market. I'm surprised they are putting so much focus on consoles. I mean, obviously I understand why they want to do it, but it's a market where I feel the chance of them being boxed out is higher and the risk is lower (it's already eroded from their business). The N3DS is not meaningfully prolonging the life of the 3DS, especially in Japan, so I would have thought the handheld would be out first. Prior to this last rumor run, I thought for sure that would be the conventional wisdom.

This is exactly why some speculate Japan gets the handheld first while they launch the console first in western territories, both featuring largely the same games perhaps?

I don't know what Nintendo is thinking but ensuring the success of NX handheld in Japan has to be their absolute top priority.

I don't think the New 3DS was meant to prolong the life of 3DS just give people who played games like MonHun a better more accessible way to play the game, what extends the life of the 3DS is the fact that it has at least 2 maybe 3 big titles set for release this year MHGen and PKMN:S&M those will keep it afloat long enough for them to focus on the NX console with the portable getting all the love mid to late 2017.

Type_Raver

So Nintendo are going to release a $300 - $399 dollar console, with all the cutting edge spec that is being speculated?

Big old gamble, the people that buy PS4 and X1 in the majority don't care about Nintendo or its first party, are locked into an ecosystem into which they have 3 years of investment and have to deal with the not exactly mature looking or refined methods of system interaction, OS or online infrastructure of kid friendly Nintendo.

Well it looks like it, i've basically summed up that earlier post based on the most repetitive rumors which seem to circulate, including this latest one.

On the gamble point, thats an interesting thought you raise. In isolation its quite a valid statement, though i think its a bit more complex then that. Third parties didnt bite on the Wii U due to its architecture, meaning no 3rd party games, meaning less of a reason for gamers to commit. Now, based on the grapevines 3rd parties have kits, titles in development and not just yesteryear ports either. So now this console becomes valid and relevant, and add to that Nintendo's IP's and its a 3 horse race once again.

For me to see it become successful, it needs to have the Witchers, Metal Gears, GTA's, 2K/EA sports, racing sims on the console which will be a telling mark of its relevance.

The main problem with Nintendo from my perspective is that they have criminally underused their IP in the past. That's changing, but it's like turning around and oil tanker - it takes time. You need mind share. They had that with Wii because of the gimmick but Wii was the brand, not Nintendo. I think Nintendo now recognise that - the rebranding, the universal studios deal, rumours of a Mario movie etc. I think they've FINALLY realised that they haven't really had consumer mind share in the west since the N64 days and even then, it was in decline. They have now recognised, thankfully, that they need to get back inside kid's heads and imaginations and make them WANT Nintendo products. To this end, if they carry on using their IP appropriately, I expect NX to be a small bump from Wii U (GC level sales) and the real improvement to come the gen after.

tldr; Nintendo are culpable of gross underutilisation of some of the most recognisable brands in entertainment and they've only just woken up and smelled the coffee and sales won't happen overnight.
That's one of the reasons why they have been so successful in the 80s, Nintendo was basically everywhere with their merchandise and IPs.

On the other hand, the market was different back then, anyway, point is still valid, glad they recognized this.

Banned
It doesn't make sense to me to be a different architecture than the handheld, which will surely be ARM. It doesn't make sense to me to be more powerful than the PS4 (power is not important to Nintendo's success historically, it increases the dev costs of their games unnecessarily, and it puts technological distance between the handheld and the console). It doesn't make sense to me that the console is their primary focus (the line about the New 3DS shoring up the 3DS for 2016 is really based on what, exactly?).

There's always going to be a reason.
Well like I said, I just posted what I was told. I actually disagreed about x86 and still think it's ARM for the reasons you listed. The part about the 2016 software catalogue and new Nintendo 3DS was my own thoughts, saying it extended the 3DS's life a bit and allowed Nintendo to focus on the struggling console first.

Kev, please don't shoot the messenger :p

We share the same first name bro.

maxcriden

I see you edited, but I just wanted to say I think he meant Zelda and Smash are certain but the other two are the ones that might not happen.

I think the most disappointing thing is the handheld being on the back burner. I love Nintendo handhelds, and I'm ready for a new platform with all of the recent advances the mobile space has brought us. That seems like a far our project now though. :(

I hear ya, but it's gotta be out by next year at the latest.

psn

Too much speculation imo.
For example:
"The NX will be more powerful than the PS4. "By a noticeable amount". From the CPU, to GPU, to RAM. Sources don't know the clock speeds, or memory type or amount of memory. But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottleneck (Nintendo hates their bottlenecks)."

Sources don't even know the ram setup or clock speeds (do they even know how many cores it has?) But it's faster. Okay. Could be true. But the logic is still flawed.

If the CPU is 15-30% faster, a ps4 comparable gpu wouldn't "bottleneck" the CPU. The CPU could be 100% faster, that would help to up the framerate to 60fps.

A "bottleneck" is always there though. It just depends if the game is CPU or GPU bound.

The GPU could be slower, faster or comparable to the PS4. It's just not possible to tell what it is from knowing the CPU speed.

However, it's 2016, they should at least release comparable hardware.

orioto

Good Art™
This is exactly why some speculate Japan gets the handheld first while they launch the console first in western territories, both featuring largely the same games perhaps?

I don't know what Nintendo is thinking but ensuring the success of NX handheld in Japan has to be their absolute top priority.

If the NX is really more than 2 teraflops, i think we can forget about home games being systematically on the portable.

But we'll probably see more of the VIta/PS4 situation with smaller, Japanese games being dev for the portable and uprezed on the home console for a simultaneous release.

I think they had to choose between really having two consoles super close to each other and almost the same library, and tempting (maybe a last time ?) to conquer the core gamers with a powerful home console.

Terrible mistake, look at your windows now..

Blues1990

I hope to be wrong, but I would say set your expectations pretty low for discounts on these remasters. For example I don't think Sony offered a discount on TLOU Remastered to PS3 owners.

True, but I find it would be a way to en-trice Wii U owners with an offer.

Banned
The scrapping is about the struggling development of bringing over Mario maker and Splatoon. Zelda is coming for sure. Ditto for smash.

Also, just because the handful of people I talked to don't know anything about the handheld or didn't even hear it getting mentioned in talks doesn't mean it's not being worked on. I'm pretty confident Japanese devs got dev kits for that and it'll launch in Japan before coming here while the west gets the console first.

maxcriden

In theory I absolutely agree and I hope it will happen. I think though that Nintendo might know they have many Wii U owners on the hook to begin with though, and as such may not be as concerned with discounts like this. I do think and hope VC discounts are likelier, though, since we got this with Wii to Wii U VC.

TedMilk

The scrapping is about the struggling development of bringing over Mario maker and Splatoon. Zelda is coming for sure. Ditto for smash.

Well, that's one way to move consoles!

13811.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well like I said, I just posted what I was told. I actually disagreed about x86 and still think it's ARM for the reasons you listed. The part about the 2016 software catalogue and new Nintendo 3DS was my own thoughts, saying it extended the 3DS's life a bit and allowed Nintendo to focus on the struggling console first.

Kev, please don't shoot the messenger :p

I'm not shooting anyone. I don't know anything. It's just not what I would have guessed if I was laying out a list of priorities for the new hardware.

Jackano

Especially because this what My Nintendo intend to do too.
We already had offers to transfert virtual console games, a huge ambassador program on 3DS... that was for different reasons but if those ports are confirmed, discounts for people who registered the Wii U games are a given IMO.

maxcriden

Just taking this all in. Amy new info in this thread itself beyond the OP?

1) where's this May 9 date coming from?

2) can someone explain about the HH and exclusives and downporting part at the end and what's meant by all that?

Thank you 10k!!!

One more try. ;___;

P.S. I see the misspelling now. It's a Freudian slip for July 21 when the new Sonic game is announced. Since Amy Rose is a Sonic character.

Especially because this what My Nintendo intend to do too.
We already had offers to transfert virtual console games, a huge ambassador program on 3DS... that was for different reasons but if those ports are confirmed, discounts for people who registered the Wii U games are a given IMO.

I sincerely hope he's right. Just setting my expectations low since there's no specific precedent for improved modern ports being discounted (in part because Nintendo didn't necessarily have the infrastructure to implement this before). LOL, I'm probably setting my expectations lower than I need to here. Personally, I only plan to pick up one version of Zelda unless there are significant differences between the two, and I have no plans to purchase a Smash (not my thing), Splatoon (waiting for the next SP Splatoon campaign) or Mario Maker (purchased, semi-regret, amazing package but not my thing really), so I don't have a ton of investment in these rumored ports and as such am coming from this, selfishly, from a more speculative approach. I'm guessing if it was a DK: TF or 3DW port where I'd be tempted to pick up a second copy, I'd care more about the rumor and would (selfishly) be likelier to be more optimistic and hopeful for discounts. :p XD

KingBroly

Banned
They've had 5 years to think about it. Focusing on the console too much could end up being a grave mistake.

Sure, but I think releasing the console first is more important business-wise because that's where most of the development is putting their games right now, big and small. To even trying to convince those devs/pubs to put their games on said handheld, they need to show them how it's all going to work with their more powerful device first.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well it looks like it, i've basically summed up that earlier post based on the most repetitive rumors which seem to circulate, including this latest one.

On the gamble point, thats an interesting thought you raise. In isolation its quite a valid statement, though i think its a bit more complex then that. Third parties didnt bite on the Wii U due to its architecture, meaning no 3rd party games, meaning less of a reason for gamers to commit. Now, based on the grapevines 3rd parties have kits, titles in development and not just yesteryear ports either. So now this console becomes valid and relevant, and add to that Nintendo's IP's and its a 3 horse race once again.

For me to see it become successful, it needs to have the Witchers, Metal Gears, GTA's, 2K/EA sports, racing sims on the console which will be a telling mark of its relevance.

These 'grapevines' are likely the exact same grapevines we've heard rumors out of during the pre-WiiU era. It sounds like a total Nintendo fantasy scenario that simply doesn't align with how developers and Nintendo have acted now and in the past.

Basically, it all sounds like baseless Nintendo fan speculation and wishful thinking.

Draeter

Banned
With all these rumors this train is going to crash harder than a satellite from orbit even if the NX ends up being a really good console

Akki

Couldnt of said it any better. Only thing im really fucking with is LCGeek stuff right now. The coincidence of "insiders" coming forward based on rumors/leaks dropping is just way TOO convient. Why isnt any of this news popping up on its own? It's essentially ride the wave of the hot new groupthink.

Look if you a insider or leaker drop some real shit that only you know. Whoever piggyback, cross they ass out.

Exaclty, im not buying the whole rumour. But lets assume this leak is real.

1)
3 of the 4 leaked wii u remasters are internally developed at NCL. Did NCL ever leak stuff besides Nikkei? I guess not. Who would know that they are having problems porting Mario Maker and Splatoon? Most likely just a few people at NOA or NOE. Theres no way these guys dont know about the NX, probably not every single detail but definitely the concept behind the NX. Why is there no information about this concept? What are the exclusive games? What about the controller or the handheld?

It sounds more like "Emily said 4 Wii U Remasters, Zelda and Smash are already known, lets add Mario Maker and Splatoon because this makes the most sense, according to LCGeek the NX is powerful, lets say its stronger than PS4, NDA´s are tight, yeah seems obvious, it supports our leak".

2)
Mario Maker and Splatoon imply there´s probably a Wii-U like gamepad. I know its possible that these games can be played with a standard controller but it would require a lot of work and lose accessibility and intuitiveness.

A Wii U 2.0 gamepad has the same weaknesses at their last console. It would be expensive, probably low power and have little benefit. I like my Wii U and the gamepad but there are just a few great uses of this gamepad. Most first party games completely ignore it. Nintendo failed to implement the gamepad as a new way to play. But why would they make a more refined Wii U again? Its by far their biggest failure. They should move as far as possible away from this concept IMO.

3)
No Information about the handheld. According to this rumour Nintendo is doubling down their weak console business and neglect their strong handheld part. They sold 13 Million Wii U´s and 60 Million 3DS but they are focusing on their next console?! It just doesnt make any sense business wise. This sounds more like a huge gamble than a solid business plan i would expect from a multi billion company.

I have my doubs and remain skeptical. (Sorry for the bad english)

I'm very happy if they can get a powerful console out (at least relatively) and absolutely lock in 3rd party support by any means. It would probably make me skip PS4K and get an NX instead.

VariantX

I hope to be wrong, but I would say set your expectations pretty low for discounts on these remasters. For example I don't think Sony offered a discount on TLOU Remastered to PS3 owners

I agree, makes little sense to offer a discount in that situation. You wouldn't expect a discount for re6 on ps4 even if you bought it on ps3 a few years ago. You'd be buying it again because of the improvement in visual fidelity and any upgrades and additions to the game itself. Discounts are usually more of a cross generation release thing from what ive seen where they recognize people are upgrading to next gen hardware and let them buy the next generation release of said title at a discount within a window.

Type_Raver

These 'grapevines' are likely the exact same grapevines we've heard rumors out of during the pre-WiiU era. It sounds like a total Nintendo fantasy scenario that simply doesn't align with how developers and Nintendo have acted now and in the past.

Basically, it all sounds like baseless Nintendo fan speculation and wishful thinking.

True that!

Though there's a little bit of me that hopes it works out and comes true.

Massa

Were there? What games? Im a "mature" gamer and would try to buy on Wii U over PS3 but I can't remember a single game that wasn't old or borked.

We're not talking indie here, right?

Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty. Not indies, the biggest AAA franchises at that time.

With all these rumors this train is going to crash harder than a satellite from orbit even if the NX ends up being a really good console
There will always be some people to shit on the nx
Less powerful than PS4 looool Nintendo morons released underpowered hardware again
As powerful as PS4, lol it's 2016, they went conservative once again
More powerful, well, PS4K...

This thread is already full of this kind of statements, and armchair analysts are once again telling us how Nintendo is doomed whatever power they put in their machine.

It's better to wait a bit, the first official news could drop soon.

orioto

Good Art™
A Wii U 2.0 gamepad has the same weaknesses at their last console. It would be expensive, probably low power and have little benefit. I like my Wii U and the gamepad but there are just a few great uses of this gamepad. Most first party games completely ignore it. Nintendo failed to implement the gamepad as a new way to play. But why would they make a more refined Wii U again? Its by far their biggest failure. They should move as far as possible away from this concept IMO.

3)
No Information about the handheld. According to this rumour Nintendo is doubling down their weak console business and neglect their strong handheld part. They sold 13 Million Wii U´s and 60 Million 3DS but they are focusing on their next console?! It just doesnt make any sense business wise. This sounds more like a huge gamble than a solid business plan i would expect from a multi billion company.

First, the idea that using the concept of the game pad HAS to be the full thing, and doom the NX, is wrong. They just need a tactile screen in the pad. Which will always be an advantage cause it's still better than simply the tactile pad on PS4. it can be used in varied ways for popular multiplatform titles. It wouldn't be an advantage if the console was underpowered, cause those gamers will prefer the nicest version, but if it's equivalent, it can be. Also the off tv play is what made the gamepad on WiiU expensive and a mistake. You don't need that to emulate the tactile UI aspect of the WiiU. A cheap screen with no wireless vid will do.

Now about the priority to the home console. That wouldn't mean they are making it more important than the portable. That would mean they want to give it an independent chance, by separating them clearly, while the 3DS has still good sales among it.

I've always said, Nintendo has 2 options regarding that connection. They can basically fuse both of them, or they have to make them really different and stop having their home console a repeat of the portable. That rumor would tell us they chose the later.

z0m3le

Banned
Anyone think we could get Smash 4 NX in 4k? I mean if it is weaker than the XB1, it would be able to handle it. Being stronger than PS4? I think it could happen.

I have no idea. It's what my source said. I'm still in the ARM camp for NX.

Well he was wrong about ARM being 32bit. A53, A57 and A72 are all 64bit processors.

DrWong

Anyone think we could get Smash 4 NX in 4k? I mean if it is weaker than the XB1, it would be able to handle it. Being stronger than PS4? I think it could happen.

Well he was wrong about ARM being 32bit. A53, A57 and A72 are all 64bit processors.
This was 10k own speculation if I remember well.

Massa

First, the idea that using the concept of the game pad HAS to be the full thing, and doom the NX, is wrong. They just need a tactile screen in the pad. Which will always be an advantage cause it's still better than simply the tactile pad on PS4. it can be used in varied ways for popular multiplatform titles. It wouldn't be an advantage if the console was underpowered, cause those gamers will prefer the nicest version, but if it's equivalent, it can be. Also the off tv play is what made the gamepad on WiiU expensive and a mistake. You don't need that to emulate the tactile UI aspect of the WiiU. A cheap screen with no wireless vid will do.

How will you display information on that screen if it doesn't communicate with the console?

Pyrokai

So, here’s how I see things. Let me know what you guys think….

Oversimplifying things, I basically see two scenarios playing out here. I know there are many factors to this, but I’m choosing a high-level view. Also, a couple assumptions in my logic:

---It’s better than the PS4 but not better than the PS4K, but close, as that’s probably most likely.

---We’re all in agreement that Wii U, PS4, and XBO are in the same (8th) console generation.

---Only talking about the console, not the handheld.

Okay….

1.) Nintendo releases the NX mid-8th generation as a 9th generation console and its competition is primarily to get a head-start on the 9th generation of competing consoles AS WELL AS compete against PS4 and XBO. In 2-3 years when Sony and Microsoft release their 9th generation consoles, NX is vastly outdated (maybe?) but has developed a user-base. Nintendo is thus forced to release their 10th generation machine mid-9th generation and is forever in this weird pickle.

2) Nintendo releases the NX mid-8th generation, but not as a 9th generation console. Meaning, on the advent of the likely PS4K and a rumored Xbox One upgrade, the concept of a console being a set generation is no more. There have also been rumors and speculation that Nintendo wants to go this route as well. If this is the case, parity could potentially be achievable every couple years for Nintendo. Releasing forward and backward compatible devices every 2-3 years MIGHT be something all 3 are interested in.

END

Okay, like I said…very simple….but what do you guys think is the more likely of these two? I personally think Scenario 2 is what Nintendo should be hoping for. Scenario 1 looks like a slow death unless they somehow can pull off the NX as a 8th generation console and pretend the Wii U never existed, so that when the 9th gen rolls around, Nintendo just releases another one along side them.

Jackano

Exaclty, im not buying the whole rumour. But lets assume this leak is real.

1)
3 of the 4 leaked wii u remasters are internally developed at NCL. Did NCL ever leak stuff besides Nikkei? I guess not. Who would know that they are having problems porting Mario Maker and Splatoon? Most likely just a few people at NOA or NOE. Theres no way these guys dont know about the NX, probably not every single detail but definitely the concept behind the NX. Why is there no information about this concept? What are the exclusive games? What about the controller or the handheld?

It sounds more like "Emily said 4 Wii U Remasters, Zelda and Smash are already known, lets add Mario Maker and Splatoon because this makes the most sense, according to LCGeek the NX is powerful, lets say its stronger than PS4, NDA´s are tight, yeah seems obvious, it supports our leak".

2)
Mario Maker and Splatoon imply there´s probably a Wii-U like gamepad. I know its possible that these games can be played with a standard controller but it would require a lot of work and lose accessibility and intuitiveness.

3)

Good post. I agree with most of your points.

1/ We barely got anything on NX since Iwata's first statement during the DeNA deal and the following shareholders briefing. And suddenly what is leaking? Ubi? Indies? Nooo, the only thing we never get leaks about (except recent Nintendo Direct), the holy Nintendo 1st party games. Fakers often goes straight to the sweetest things like a she-wolf on lemon cakes.

2-3/ Interesting points because that's a thing I'm trying to figure out. Between specs and Smash/Zelda NX, people don't discuss the controller anymore since the 3D printed hoax.
The gamepad was a failure, however, we and Nintendo shouldn't make a wrong statement about that. Two screens gameplay proved to be a good thing since the DS.

But how does the handheld come into that picture? Maybe two screens gameplay will only be allowed through the handheld, leaving the default NX home SKU with a more "traditional", and cheaper controller.

That would make the second screen truly optional, as we have seen with the Wii U 3rd parties had hard time dealing with it even for the most basic things.
One last thing, think about the "new concept" if the library is in some extent *shared* and NX home able to stream games on the handheld. Or vice-versa? Who knows.

orioto

Good Art™
How will you display information on that screen if it doesn't communicate with the console?

Communicating doesn't mean having to wirelessly pass a high bitrate video. That screen can be smaller, have a smaller resolution. Also since the WIiU, techs simpler techs are available i think. They had their priority stuff back then. The whole problem came from that.

I mean they can now probably use a cheaper, simpler version of all that.

Even the Xbox One should have no trouble running it at 4K (or even more). So I guess it's a possibility if it's a straight port (and if the console even allows for 4K video output).
Should they decide to implement better lighting, use more detailed models etc. though it'd stick to 1080p I think.

LiamR

Another rumour by Liam Robertson:

Since Retro is apparently working with Yoshio Sakamoto, I wouldn't doubt that they're doing Metroid, but, I mean... it's a TiLMEN rumour.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/720163007452573696

I don't know if I should trust this guy. I trust Emily, but I've heard Liam does not have a good rumour reputation.

What the hell...? What rumour is in this tweet? I was just commenting on something.

AntMurda

What the hell...? What rumour is in this tweet? I was just commenting on something.

Such a bogus phony. He first treats it like a factual statement but then reverts to saying it is another guy's rumor. The they guy being completely untrustworthy.

kyser73

Yeah, because of mobile, but even in that context the X1 is pulling terrible numbers Japan

Concerning Europe: actually Nintendo is doing pretty good in Europe too. It just doesn't look that way because Sony currently has one of their best generations ever and Nintendo one of their worst.
Otherwise Nintendo isn't all too far behind Sony here.

PS4 has sold nearly 4x WiiU WW, possibly more.

Outside of France & to a lesser extent Germany, where is it? Don't even talk about the UK as the WiiU is nowhere there.

On what planet isn't it 'too far behind' anywhere?

This thread needs one of those Obama 'Hope' pictures as its mascot.

z0m3le

Banned
I'm not shooting anyone. I don't know anything. It's just not what I would have guessed if I was laying out a list of priorities for the new hardware.

You're right, Nintendo should focus on the handheld, but the console can be as powerful as they want. All they really need to do is make games for the handheld and up port them anyways, this doesn't require using the entire power available inside the console.

They do have to release a powerful handheld though, I think the best they can do right now is 14nm polaris 128alus @ 600mhz and maybe 8 A53 cores at 1ghz or so. The reason I'm speculating on handheld power is to gauge how much console power is needed, if the handheld is 480p wide screen or 540p wide screen, Nintendo could use up to 1.2Tflops of the console power, while offering the rest for 3rd parties who would complain about performance.

The entire reason the PS4k even exists, might be because at least in part, they feared having a weaker console than Nintendo on the market. (I think it has more to do with being a VR powerup so that they can maintain a level of performance PS4 is expected to have)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom