• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualS

X86, more powerful than PS4, easy to port to (x86), all logical moves and by no means extraordinary. Nintendo NEED third parties and thus they require hardware that they demand.

PS4K may indeed be in part a pre-emptive reaction to NX.

Shiggy

What the hell...? What rumour is in this tweet? I was just commenting on something.

Such a bogus phony. He first treats it like a factual statement but then reverts to saying it is another guy's rumor. The they guy being completely untrustworthy.

Not at all lol
Where does he make it sound like he has any knowledge about it? And you know that you just quoted him, just wondering as you call him "they guy".

I'm starting to believe that maybe the NX actually will end up in the ballpark of PS4, which is more than I expected.

But the idea of dumping a few Wii U ports seems sort of lazy and un-Nintendo like. Doesn't matter either way really, I'm not rebuying any of those games though I'm definitely on board for the sequels.

X86, more powerful than PS4, easy to port to (x86), all logical moves and by no means extraordinary. Nintendo NEED third parties and thus they require hardware that they demand.

Would be funny NX launched with a Polaris 11 and PS4k with a Polaris 10 GPU.

AntMurda

Not at all lol
Where does he make it sound like he has any knowledge about it? And you know that you just quoted him, just wondering as you call him "they guy".

Did you see Robertson's video on "Metroid secrets"? He practically says he snuck into Sakamoto's bedroom and read his diary divulging all the Metroid Dread secrets from Japan.

A lot of it contradicted what Sakamoto revealed about the project during a candid GDC interview.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I feel like it's been a while since Nintendo's dropped a fuckton of bombs all at once. Maybe I'm remembering my history wrong since I didn't pay that much attention to it, but I've associated Nintendo with blue balls for a while now. It would be nice to blow a huge load at E3 sometime.

LiamR

Such a bogus phony. He first treats it like a factual statement but then reverts to saying it is another guy's rumor. The they guy being completely untrustworthy.

I sincerely don't even know what you're talking about, man. I was just commenting on TiLMEN's rumour. Chill.

Shiggy

Did you see Robertson's video on "Metroid secrets"? He practically says he snuck into Sakamoto's bedroom and read his diary divulging all the Metroid Dread secrets from Japan.

What's the relation to the tweets above? He doesn't say he has knowledge about Retro working on Metroid.

georly

You do realize the person you're quoting *IS* the person who made that tweet, right? Unless you're talking about TiLmen, in which case, yes, you're correct, he's a bogus phony.

Sort of lazy kinda sounds Nintendo-like to be honest.

Then I guess you haven't played many Nintendo games outside of Amiibo Festival lately. Their first party games are generally amongst the most polished and content packed out there. Maybe you don't like them, but calling them lazy is a pretty lazy thing to do.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Another rumour by Liam Robertson:

Since Retro is apparently working with Yoshio Sakamoto, I wouldn't doubt that they're doing Metroid, but, I mean... it's a TiLMEN rumour.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/720163007452573696

I don't know if I should trust this guy. I trust Emily, but I've heard Liam does not have a good rumour reputation.

Lmao that's a TiLMEN rumour. He's been banned from this very board. Don't give him the time of day. Nothing to do with Liam.

Jaymageck

I just can't imagine this being true. It'd be such a huge 180 for Nintendo as this is a decision that would have been made while Iwata was still alive.

I also can't see this happening with Genya Takeda still at the helm of hardware development (I assume).

I figure NX's power will be in a ballpark where downgraded current gen ports are possible.

AntMurda

Sort of lazy kinda sounds Nintendo-like to be honest.

Out of all the things to be critical about, porting that selection of games is definitely a good idea. They could be publishing trash like Sing It Party and the Lego City Stories as filler instead.

SONy ported their entire digital catalog and several of their big PS3 games over instantly.

Actually, I thought of something incredibly important Nintendo need to do for their next system to do well; repair relations with retailers. In the UK, dedicated game stores are the only places you can buy Wii U or 3DS games at retail. Supermarkets and even HMV don't seem to carry them at all. From what I hear, it's a similar situations in other parts of the world also.

I can understand them being reluctant to stock Wii U games, but the Nintendo 3DS is doing very well. And they don't even stock amiibos, yet the shelves are full of Skylander figures. No way Skylander figures sell better than amiibos at present.

Obviously Nintendo seems to have lost value as a whole in their eyes, so Nintendo need to convince them to support them again.

I just can't imagine this being true. It'd be such a huge 180 for Nintendo as this is a decision that would have been made while Iwata was still alive.

I also can't see this happening with Genya Takeda still at the helm of hardware development (I assume).

I figure NX's power will be in a ballpark where downgraded current gen ports are possible.

Low-spec burned Nintendo with the Wii after the casuals moved onto the iPhone, and it burned them out of the gate on Wii U. No one's going to do the same thing three times in a row and expect it to work. Suddenly.

All the same people at Nintendo were against mobile and online, before their positions shift. They're not permanently set in stone.

z0m3le

Banned

The new CEO could probably have changed specs. Console specs change and the actual die would not have been fabricated yet. Most modern GPUs are very modular, adding more CU on an AMD GPU isn't going to turn it into something completely new, neither is upping the clocks.

Ganondolf

I'm expecting the NX and the PS4K to have similar/same specs. But I'm half expecting the NX will not be 4K and as such will be able to use the extra gpu grunt to make games look better than PS4K games.

Akki

First, the idea that using the concept of the game pad HAS to be the full thing, and doom the NX, is wrong. They just need a tactile screen in the pad. Which will always be an advantage cause it's still better than simply the tactile pad on PS4. it can be used in varied ways for popular multiplatform titles. It wouldn't be an advantage if the console was underpowered, cause those gamers will prefer the nicest version, but if it's equivalent, it can be. Also the off tv play is what made the gamepad on WiiU expensive and a mistake. You don't need that to emulate the tactile UI aspect of the WiiU. A cheap screen with no wireless vid will do.

My analysis was just based on the leak. Im sure theres more and love to be wrong.

Now about the priority to the home console. That wouldn't mean they are making it more important than the portable. That would mean they want to give it an independent chance, by separating them clearly, while the 3DS has still good sales among it.

I feel this is a major miss conception across the whole board. This FY (April 2015-March 2016) will most likely have the lowest amount of hardware sales (handheld and console combined) since the release of Pokemon in 1996. The numbers certainly wont grow this year. Nintendo needs to react and release new hardware + new AAA-games.

Yes the 3DS has a great support for the remaining year but its mostly just localizations and niche games besides Pokemon. These games wont move hardware or sell million copies.

I've always said, Nintendo has 2 options regarding that connection. They can basically fuse both of them, or they have to make them really different and stop having their home console a repeat of the portable. That rumor would tell us they chose the later.

Right, but this doesnt solve any of Nintendo´s problems.

I'm expecting the NX and the PS4K to have similar/same specs. But I'm half expecting the NX will not be 4K and as such will be able to use the extra gpu grunt to make games look better than PS4K games.
No system is going to run games in 4K and to me it doesn't make sense either (production cost vs. amount of potential customers).

4K is probably more about movies (Netflix, etc.) than games.

I'm having a hard time believing this. Sony probably doesn't know more than us about NX.
Sony also has no reason to fear the NX at all. They're doing fine.

That just wouldn't make sense. They would be in the exact same position.

Out of all the things to be critical about, porting that selection of games is definitely a good idea. They could be publishing trash like Sing It Party and the Lego City Stories as filler instead.
Well, that was one of the very best Lego games so...

AntMurda

The controller is one of the biggest X factors for Nintendo. A screen on the controller can work, it just needs to be much smaller and not effect the ergonomics of the controller.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This does not make sense. The rumor was that ps4k would cost 400 or even 500. Nintendo launching a 400 machine is the end and they are not going to loss lead. None of this adds up to me!

Taker666

Lego City Undercover is anything but trash. I'd rate it higher than the majority of Nintendo's in-house games this gen (only negative was the loading times). I'd also be more likely to buy a NX port of that than either Smash Bros or Mario Maker (as ther extra power would do far more to improve that visually).

Ganondolf

No system is going to run games in 4K and to me it doesn't make sense either (production cost vs. amount of potential customers).

4K is probably more about movies (Netflxi, etc.) than games.

I expect the PS4K will be upscaling games and the OS to 4K. if they have parts of the OS running at 1080 and videos running at 4K they will need to do a resolution switch on the tv which looks terrible.

z0m3le

Banned

PS4k will not be 4k, 4k is 4x as many pixels as the PS4 pushes, in order to do that, they would need more than 2x the GPU (it would need to be 4x)

Shiggy

Then I guess you haven't played many Nintendo games outside of Amiibo Festival lately. Their first party games are generally amongst the most polished and content packed out there. Maybe you don't like them, but calling them lazy is a pretty lazy thing to do.

Taking a look at their VC titles, online system, Miiverse implementation with all the loading, the Miitomo app, ports such as Wind Waker HD where the best part (Tingle Tuner) was left out, or even some of their recent 1st party titles makes me think they often prefer going the sort of lazy route.

It's sadly not 2007 anymore when they created lots of innovative and novel titles. Even their eShop output has dried up compared WiiWare and DSiWare. Call me bitter, but I actually enjoyed Last Window, Jam with the Band, Wario Ware DIY, or Elite Beat Agents. Not too interested in playing More Zelda, More 2D Mario, and the like, and thus I totally see why the 3DS sales are lagging far behind those of the DS. Well, at least I got boxboy, the Pullbox games, and NES Remix out of it.

I seriously wonder what happened after the DS/Wii success. Going from one of the most successful consoles with lots of creative titles to "just more of the same" systems with 3DS and Wii U.

Funny side note: The developers of Sing Party don't even list the game on their website anymore, must be too ashamed.

One thing that interests me is how much they're going to push their digital business, since it's getting stronger and stronger.

30.5 billion Yen is 279 million dollars.
31l.jpg

Probably one reason why My Nintendo only offers digital discounts / games.

*Consider that half of the digital revenue in this fiscal year is generated by DLC.

I expect the PS4K will be upscaling games and the OS to 4K. if they have parts of the OS running at 1080 and videos running at 4K they will need to do a resolution switch on the tv which looks terrible.
Yes, that's also a possibility.

Skii

This really is an arms race for Sony anyway. They can't allow any other console system to be more powerful.

It's good to see we'll be getting some really beautiful Nintendo games. It's taken them long enough but finally!

Ganondolf

This does not make sense. The rumor was that ps4k would cost 400 or even 500. Nintendo launching a 400 machine is the end and they are not going to loss lead. None of this adds up to me!

PS4K will probably have parts of the VR inside increasing costs and also having a 4K blu ray player increasing costs again. Nintendo wont have them and will have a new design which could be more cost effective (like no hard drive or even disc drive etc)

LordOfChaos

But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottlenecked

Echoing what I said in the last thread that was closed, Cerny readily admitted the PS4 was slightly skewed towards extra GPU CUs, such that you'd have extra GPU compute power even if the graphics side was limited by the CPUs submission rate.

So for "balance", the 15-30% stronger CPU may not necessarily be paired with a much better GPU than the PS4, maybe about the same or better but under the 15-30% from the CPU side.

That would be enough to make me enthusiastic though, matching the GPU while topping the CPU of the PS4.

Curious what memory technology they'll be using. Hopefully not spending die area on eDRAM/eSRAM a la Wii U/Xbox One and just having a fast memory pool, saving GPU die area for GPU stuff a la PS4.

z0m3le

Banned

You can build a more powerful console than PS4 for under $300 or they wouldn't sell the PS4 for that price.

14nm, ARM, lpddr4 and no disc drive would all help with this, also polaris if it is cheaper. This might be one of those situations where NX is out of stock like the Wii, mostly because they didn't/couldn't make enough. These technologies would quickly show the price drop as well.

Jinketsu

4K is probably more about movies (Netflix, etc.) than games.

I was under the assumption that the better hardware was more to give the PSVR the resources it would need to play games as involving as, say, multiplayer shooters. More of a "2K" device as it would be able to throw up two 1080p screens at 60fps under heavier loads.

Nikodemos

The PS4+, if it will exist in roughly the shape described by the rumours, will most likely be a pre-emptive reaction to not being able to squeeze any more VR blood out of the PS4 turnip. It's no secret some games simply can't hold a stable 60 fps (cert req for VR) and still maintain decently high LOD on it. Sony is basically competing with themselves with it.

I'm still concerned about what Nintendo is going to do when a PS5 comes out. They are still out of sync in the console race.

The NX could be out for 3 more years and the PS5 could then come out.

I'm talking about upscaling not native.

Upscaling cost almost nothing performance wise

And why would they upscale to 4K when most people are limited to 1080p?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
The return of the king , The Sony evil years are done

giphy.gif

Seriously , NX needs to be more powerfull than PS4 so developers like Rockstar and From put their games on nintendo s console
Someone is in for a rude awakening if they think power is the sole reason those games aren't on Nintendo platforms.

Taker666

One thing that interests me is how much they're going to push their digital business, since it's getting stronger and stronger.

30.5 billion Yen is 279 million dollars.
31l.jpg

Probably one reason why My Nintendo only offers digital discounts / games.

*Consider that half of the digital revenue in this fiscal year is generated by DLC.

Yes, that's also a possibility.

I won't be that surprised if Nintendo go all digital with NX. Removing that bulky disc drive has got to be a tempting move for them when they consider the additional costs involved.

Banned
Embrace it Kevin. This isn't your daddy's Nintendo!

Blues1990

I'm still concerned about what Nintendo is going to do when a PS5 comes out. They are still out of sync in the console race.

The NX could be out for 3 more years and the PS5 could then come out.

I wouldn't mind the current console cycle to go on just a bit longer, but you've made an excellent point.

leeh

Someone is in for a rude awakening if they think power is the sole reason those games aren't on Nintendo platforms.
Well it is a large factor of that considering that completely different architectures and huge power deltas means a large increase in porting costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom