• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterc

I'm not scared but I can't imagine a third party is going to do much to take advantage of that horsepower given the lackluster track records of third party games on Nintendo hardware.

Anyone who buys a Nintendo system for anything other than first party games is a bit foolish in my opinion.

Was a bit foolish.

Why can't nintendo be the first console for 3rd party games?
Why not having one console that can have it all:

- best gfx
- best exclusive
- best first party
- 3rd party support.

Snes was like that.

Wishful thinking ofcourse, but it would be stuppid to say that they can't do it.
With Nintendo everything is possible.

I believe sony will have a bad year in first party games, because they need to support Vita and VR too.
But I could be wrong.

Neoxon

It sold approximately 100 million systems less than the DS, another dedicated Nintendo handheld would probably sell half of the numbers of the 3DS. What good will that do their properties? It's time to move away from dedicated handhelds.
Also consider that the 3DS had quite the rocky start. While mobile gaming may take a bit out of a future handheld's sales, it won't be quite as big as what it was from the DS to the 3DS. Even despite that, handhelds still do great business for Nintendo. And if they play their cards right, the successor (the NX Handheld or otherwise) can have a minimal drop compared to what happened going into the 3DS. To quote Joe...
Removal is not preserving.

Even to this day, 3DS games are doing amazingly. Look at Pokémon, Yo-kai Watch, Fire Emblem etc., and that's in the height of smartphone gaming.
There's still demand for a Nintendo handheld, & it would be foolish for Nintendo to cut off their most successful business.

Zoon

It sold approximately 100 million fewer systems than the original DS. Another dedicated Nintendo handheld would probably reach of the numbers of the 3DS. It's time to move away from dedicated handhelds.

Which would still be twice the Wii U.

Even if 3rd parties aren't there, I would really want to see what Nintendo can do with that much power.

benedictm

Banned
It sold approximately 100 million fewer systems than the original DS. Another dedicated Nintendo handheld would probably reach of the numbers of the 3DS. What good will that do their properties? It's time to move away from dedicated handhelds.

The Japanese gaming situation now is all about handhelds. No one is buying home consoles there. Thats why they need to cater to it. Also that's where the lions share of their revenue comes in. They would be mad to throw that away.

Nintendo did some things right during NXlike the release of Splatoon.

But everything else must be redone with NX. They aren't at all satisfied with it's sales so hopefully a lot of it's weaknesses like poor third party communication, poor online or poor marketing are dealt with. At least one of them.

Oh and poor strategic thinking. Whoever the fuck thought NinrendoLand was a premeir/killer app/console seller for Wii U was hopefully fired.

Also consider that the 3DS had quite the rocky start. While mobile gaming may take a bit out of a future handheld's sales, it won't be quite as big as what it was from the DS to the 3DS. To quote Joe...

So you don't think Nintendo will make an effort to get those 100 million gamers back? Do you really think their investors wont want them to exceed the numbers of the 3DS?

JoeM86 said:
Removal is not preserving.

Even to this day, 3DS games are doing amazingly. Look at Pokémon, Yo-kai Watch, Fire Emblem etc., and that's in the height of smartphone gaming.

Neither is doing nothing to adapt to modern handheld gaming.

I don't really understand your point with Pokemon, a mobile Pokemon title would easily break 50 million, if not double.

Peru

It sold approximately 100 million fewer systems than the original DS. Another dedicated Nintendo handheld would probably reach of the numbers of the 3DS. What good will that do their properties? It's time to move away from dedicated handhelds.

This is nonsense, no offense. The DS is the best selling console of all time. The 3DS still outsells the SNES. ANY company would be happy to keep a console selling 60 million alive. And Nintendo would even if the follow up sells less. The 3DS has been the dominant games console in Japan with some of the biggest hits there - ever - released on it. To have this kind of success story and give up for a quick buck on a Pokemon mobile title? Throwing both money and your business out the window. Can't be argued for in any capacity.

benedictm

Banned
Was a bit foolish.

Why can't nintendo be the first console for 3rd party games?
Why not having one console that can have it all:

- best gfx
- best exclusive
- best first party
- 3rd party support.

Snes was like that.

Wishful thinking ofcourse, but it would be stuppid to say that they can't do it.
With Nintendo everything is possible.

I believe sony will have a bad year in first party games, because they need to support Vita and VR too.
But I could be wrong.

That would be awesome but they have don;t have the install case. Most console owners have made their decision what to go for and thats the platform 3rd parties will always develop for. The one with the biggest install base.

JoeM86

That's not fair. The DS came and hit the mainstream like mad before smartphones.

It's irrational to just say that because it didn't do as well as the DS, they shouldn't bother. 60 million during the age of smartphone gaming is phenomenal.

As for the Nintendo properties, on the 3DS for the most part they've done as well as the DS ones, except the casual games which bombed as that's the market that didn't jump in.

geordiemp

Also bring s up an interesting question in that how will Nintendo deal with people who DID buy the wiiU and games. Will they allow you to buy the NX versions at a discount? Although mynintendo seems to suggest a bit more customer friendliness this time it's not like they haven;t fucked customers over on this before with the Virtual Console.

Also if they fuck over their hardcore - the WiiU faithful - there will be hell to pay,

I think Nintendo do not get as much backlash as most others in the industry, I mean look at N3ds, if that was MS they would of been roasted.

Nintendo can do whatever they want and will be accepted by the day 1 fans anyway imo.

Its what they do for the non Nintendo console owners that is fascinating. ...who knows. Will they really abolish region locking, introduce X party chat, friend invites and the like and be a player again....

When it comes to Nintendo handhelds they inflate the numbers by releasing multiple variants and limited editions. I'd be more interested in seeing total software numbers by year to have a better picture of the overall market.

Neoxon

The Japanese gaming situation now is all about handhelds. No one is buying home consoles there. Thats why they need to cater to it. Also that's where the lions share of their revenue comes in. They would be mad to throw that away.
This. Handhelds are guaranteed money for Nintendo, albeit to varying degrees. To sacrifice what will likely be a success to focus exclusively on what could be a success is a needless risk.

All excellent points. Also bring s up an interesting question in that how will Nintendo deal with people who DID buy the wiiU and games. Will they allow you to buy the NX versions at a discount? Although mynintendo seems to suggest a bit more customer friendliness this time it's not like they haven;t fucked customers over on this before with the Virtual Console.

Also if they fuck over their hardcore - the WiiU faithful - there will be hell to pay,

I am the hardcore the WiiU faithful, I bought one at lunch and have about 30 physical and tonne of digital games, while it would be nice never in a million years would I expect them to do discounts on the ports

Ganondolf

Here's what I meant :

Those with 4k TV will have their games upscaled to 4K and everything else in native 4k.

For everyone else, the ps4k is just a more powerful ps4 that wil render at 1080p. No upscale.

Sony would need to reserve some of the resources for 4k. if a dev made a game using all of the extra resources with the assumption that it would be played on a 1080p tv then what happens when the person on a 4k tv plays it (as there wont be enough resources available).

There is the option to boost framerate on not 4k output but I don't think any devs are going to make two separate graphics profiles for their games (outside of sony studios).

E-phonk

Banned
Nintendo can outperform PS4 at 299 with modern technology.
An ARM-A72 based system with a decent modern gpu and 8GB ram isn't that expensive, interfaces cost nothing these days (usb/hdmi/wifi). Question is what they'll do with storage and disks.

JoeM86

So you don't think Nintendo will make an effort to get those 100 million gamers back? Do you really think their investors wont want them to exceed the numbers of the 3DS?

Neither is doing nothing to adapt to modern handheld gaming.

I don't really understand your point with Pokemon, a mobile Pokemon title would easily break 50 million.

Having 50 million downloads is pointless. Smartphone games don't make money for the most part. Unless they go for the whales, they just don't make a lot of cash. Just look at Miitomo.

You've got an investor's view of mobile. You're just seeing it as a huge cashcow without seeing how that market truly is.

Banned
Nintendo can outperform PS4 at 299 with modern technology.
An ARM-A72 based system with a decent modern gpu and 8GB ram isn't that expensive, interfaces cost nothing these days (usb/hdmi/wifi). Question is what they'll do with storage and disks.
That's what I'm going for. 8 A72's at 2.0Ghz, 8GB GDDR5X (Nintendo spends money on ram usually) and a 2TF range GPU.

I have nothing against the other excitement. But expect NX will be such powerhouse hardware is not that realistic. I don't think will be crazy difference in performance from the ps4. To be optimistic.

I doubt it'll be a HUGE difference power wise compared to the PS4 but let's not act like the PS4 is some sort of powerhouse even when it first launched and now it's two years later.

I don't think it's outrageous to think the NX will have better specs.

thefro

I think people are much more skeptical than fearful. Nintendo's recent history certainly doesn't lead one to believe that they'd do something like that. Like people have already brought up, before the Wii U launched there are numerous rumors about how it was going to be significantly more powerful than the PS3/360, and we all know how that turned out. If it turns out that it's true then that's fantastic. But I don't see why it's surprising that people would be skeptical because doing what's being described would require a big strategy shift from Nintendo.

I think the Wii U being a failure clearly would be a reason to shift strategies.

Also keep in mind the PS4 wasn't a super-powered console even when it came out and had relatively modest specs. Nintendo beating that 3 years later shouldn't be a shock.

It makes logical sense to create a machine that can get easy ports of games from PS4 in order to secure third party support. The casual market's moved on to mobile. You could do a "Vita TV" version of the future portable to capture the late adopters market.

I expect there to be another hook or two to the NX console besides just being a Nintendo PS4+.

Remember the first goal for Nintendo should be to increase their market share with the NX and build off that. The NX doesn't have to outsell the PS4 to be a success.

I'm more scared to the Nintendo fan expectations.
Riiiiiiiiiight, I bet that's it... *eye roll*

4068392-6030428698-wario.jpg

I'm fully aboard the hype train. A powerful Nintendo console is something we haven't seen since the Gamecube.

Can someone please put a Mario hat on my avatar? I'll do anything...

Hubble

The real question: Will it be more powerful than PS4 4K?

Ah good ole console competition. Sony knows what they are doing if the NX is more powerful than PS4. I feel bad for Nintendo.

jahasaja

Getting tired of the rumors especially the port ones. They are inflating the hype. Give us something Nintendo!

I hope we get something after StarFox is out.

I think Nintendo do not get as much backlash as most others in the industry, I mean look at N3ds, if that was MS they would of been roasted.

Nintendo can do whatever they want and will be accepted by the day 1 fans anyway imo.

Its what they do for the non Nintendo console owners that is fascinating. ...who knows. Will they really abolish region locking, introduce X party chat, friend invites and the like and be a player again....

This is what's called selection bias.
They will still retain their family friendly image btw. There are already things like friend invites in place

It'll be so good seeing Nintendo games with high end console visuals again.

For perspective, the last new Zelda game which last made a graphical generation jump was The Wind Waker over 13 years ago.

Having 50 million downloads is pointless. Smartphone games don't make money for the most part. Unless they go for the whales, they just don't make a lot of cash. Just look at Miitomo.

You've got an investor's view of mobile. You're just seeing it as a huge cashcow without seeing how that market truly is.

I reject the idea that Nintendo's intellectual properties couldn't make money on mobile.

Peru said:
This is nonsense, no offense. The DS is the best selling console of all time. The 3DS still outsells the SNES. ANY company would be happy to keep a console selling 60 million alive. And Nintendo would even if the follow up sells less. The 3DS has been the dominant games console in Japan with some of the biggest hits there - ever - released on it. To have this kind of success story and give up for a quick buck on a Pokemon mobile title? Throwing both money and your business out the window. Can't be argued for in any capacity.

I think you make a really good point, but only 20 of 60 million of 3DS systems sold, were sold in Japan. Let's say Nintendo's next dedicated handheld does well in Japan but tanks everywhere else (not unreasonable). Would Nintendo be happy with their next handheld hitting 25 million worldwide?

Nintendo would be better off trying to change attitudes towards premium mobile titles, than creating another dedicated handheld.

Neoxon

You underestimate the success of the 3DS. Most of those DS sales were a result of the casual gamer. While getting them back would be ideal, it's not likely. It's not exactly fair to compare DS sales to future Nintendo handhelds. Like the Wii, the DS was lightning-in-a-bottle.

georly

All excellent points. Also bring s up an interesting question in that how will Nintendo deal with people who DID buy the wiiU and games. Will they allow you to buy the NX versions at a discount? Although mynintendo seems to suggest a bit more customer friendliness this time it's not like they haven;t fucked customers over on this before with the Virtual Console.

That's probably why the rumor of transferring online/services to NX is there. If you can't transfer your splatoon rank/progress or your mario maker stages, people will be upset.

As for those who already bought on Wii U? Ideally these will all be enhanced ports, not just in graphics, but in content also. New characters for smash, new features for Zelda. Not sure what to do about Mario maker/splatoon - especially if cross-play is a thing. Maybe if you bought the old ones digitally you get some sort of discount on the new one. Don't know what they can do for physical customers, though. It's a precarious balancing act - attracting new customers while pleasing your veteran customers. You can't please one without upsetting the other, usually.

That's not fair. The DS came and hit the mainstream like mad before smartphones.

It's irrational to just say that because it didn't do as well as the DS, they shouldn't bother. 60 million during the age of smartphone gaming is phenomenal.

As for the Nintendo properties, on the 3DS for the most part they've done as well as the DS ones, except the casual games which bombed as that's the market that didn't jump in.

Yeah and also I must tie in poor marketing. You guys remember Brain Training right? Ads, ads everywhere. Catered to an audience that didn't game.

Probably not...but here's how I see it- Nintendo will be able to develop exclusive games tailored to NX's specs while Sony wont be able to take advantage of 4K specs other than resolution, AA, AF, framerate, since there's 40 million regular PS4 owners who need all future games playable on them as well

On Demand

Banned
I don't know why power or the ridiculous PS4K is being bought up. Nintendo doesn't have to worry about either. What they'll have to really compete with is the current PS4 and a possible 50 million+ installed base this holiday.

thefro

Probably not...but here's how I see it- Nintendo will be able to develop exclusive games tailored to NX's specs while Sony wont be able to take advantage of 4K specs other than resolution, AA, AF, framerate, since there's 40 million regular PS4 owners who need all future games playable on them as well

Sony's also spending a lot of software development resources on VR, which is going to be a niche audience to start just because of the price tag.

Ah good ole console competition. Sony knows what they are doing if the NX is more powerful than PS4. I feel bad for Nintendo.

The PS4 was a success because it was perceived as a better value than XB1.

Power was only one factor.

Historically having the most powerful system on the market certainly hasn't been a guarantee of being the market leader.

I'm more interested in how Nintendo would price it. Their strategy of underpowered hardware sold at a profit makes it tough to shift to a more high powered hardware while still being Prime competitive.

Raide

Interesting rumour. At least graphically it won't have any issues, it just getting 3rd Parties on board to give a damn about a Nintendo console again.

Launching with Zelda NX and Splatoon/Mario Maker ports would be really damn good. Front load the launch a little to get people hyped and then keep making quality games. 3rd Parties are crucial for their ultimate success of course.

Neoxon

I think you make a really good point, but only 20 of 60 million of 3DS systems sold, were sold in Japan. Let's say Nintendo's next dedicated handheld does well in Japan but tanks everywhere else (not unreasonable). Would Nintendo be happy with their next handheld hitting 25 million worldwide?

Nintendo would be better off trying to change attitudes towards premium mobile titles, than creating another dedicated handheld.
But that's just it, the next handheld wouldn't sell like shit everywhere else since worldwide demand for a new Nintendo handheld still exists.

mejin

It's ridiculous.

"Yeah but PS4K LOL Nintendo."

You would think out of all the damn forums online, GAF wouldn't give a fuck about console allegiance and just enjoy playing good games.

Guess some people never grow out of that shit.

No one is losing their mind. It's a new console coming up and people like playing video games, of course people are excited. People were excited for the PS4 and Xbox One just as much.

People were excited and made a lot of presumptions with Wii U. I don't get what do you really expect. We're just talking about it rumours.

Kimawolf

So tech Gaf. those Supplemental Computing Device patents seem to be getting more attention from Nintendo. the patent says it can use local network or daisy chaining physical devices together to increase performance or networked from other devices.

realistically what could be done with such daisy chaining? could we expect it to function like those razor laptops you can connect a desktop gpu?

Kindekuma

Banned
I really, really, want to see hardware specs now. Nintendo, don't gimp out on storage this time either if you're going for this kind of power in a console.

I'm guessing backwards compatibility ends with Wii U since ports for that system are being developed?

But that's just it, the next handheld wouldn't sell like shit everywhere else since worldwide demand for a new Nintendo handheld still exists.

I disagree, I think the 3DS is the last Nintendo handheld that will do well outside of Japan. Unless they produce something that is crazily innovative, which of course I cannot reasonably imagine.

JoeM86

I reject the idea that Nintendo's intellectual properties couldn't make money on mobile.

Well let's take Pokémon shall we?

In the last 12 months, it has had multiple smartphone products get dropped because they don't make money

Pokémon Style
Pokémon Bilingual Scope
Pokédex for iOS

Two of these were less than a year old when they shut down.

Pokémon Shuffle Mobile has been out almost a year now, globally, and has only been downloaded 7 million times, and has never been a top grossing game.

This is Pokémon, the second best selling video game franchise of all time. It's still the biggest franchise in Japan (despite Yo-kai Watch's success). If those apps can't make bank, then it's most definitely not as easy as you make it out to be.

BuggyMike

I just can't imagine this being true. It'd be such a huge 180 for Nintendo as this is a decision that would have been made while Iwata was still alive.

I also can't see this happening with Genya Takeda still at the helm of hardware development (I assume).

I figure NX's power will be in a ballpark where downgraded current gen ports are possible.

You cant imagine Nintendo doing a 180 after getting their asses handed to them with the Wii U and watching the PS4 be the market leader? I dont understand how this is that shocking, its not like Nintendo's last console was successful with the "casual" strategy, it didnt work, and every generation before the Wii Nintendo took a more traditional approach.

Gross

I like my dedicated handhelds. Buttons and joysticks and dpads will always win. I don't wanna use up precious phone battery playing games. Etc etc

If there is a day with no dedicated handhelds there is a day I don't play portable games

Would be a shame too. 3ds is arguably the best handheld library of all time. Really hoping I get more portable animal crossing

mejin

I don't know why power or the ridiculous PS4K is being bought up. Nintendo doesn't have to worry about either. What they'll have to really compete with is the current PS4 and a possible 50 million+ installed base this holiday.

Nintendo really doesn't care either way. If NX goes Wii U route they will just have another device before 2020.

This was a point I was trying to make earlier in the thread.

Should the NX be notably more powerful, devs will be able to take full advantage of the extra power. Whilst PS4K games will always be made with the PS4 in mind - the ps4 having the much larger install base.

Mario Kart 8 was a game that blew my father away when he first played it; can't wait to see him react to future nintendo games should these rumours be true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom