• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedictm

Banned
Considering they offered no discount on N3DS for people who already bought the SNES games on Wii U, it seems unlikely to happen, but it *is* possible. Again, all we can do is hope nintendo gets their stuff in order and sorts out all of the ongoing long-term complaints while also surprising and delighting existing nintendo fans. Always easier said than done.

Either way, I'm hopeful for nintendo, and I'm already sold. They own my favorite franchise, and I'll go down with them, if need be.

You are right.

I mean maybe - I'm clutching at straws here, man - the new 3DS was a different sell as it was an upgrade. They really want as many customers as possible so maybe they will try and be Nice Guy Nintendo. It's unlikely.

It seems weird to me as well, they don;t try a limited subscription service for Virtual Console - maybe 6 games available each month (but only for that month) for £10 or something.

About the PS4k>NX>PS4 thing:
All comes down to pricing. PS4 is rumored to be at least 400, could be higher.
NX needs to be less and offer up plenty of exclusives to be seen as valuable.
I think it's doable, but admittedly Sony is going to try its hardest so it doesn't gain market share releasing both PSVR and ps4k

Well, we will see. Their next mobile title (which I suspect will be Fire Emblem), will give us a pretty good idea of which direction they are taking.
The series is now going from strength to strength, Awakening did 2 million worldwide at full price and Fates just had the single best opening the series has ever seen in the US.

Your not making sense, why would Nintendo torpedo a winning strategy ?

MK_768

With NX supposedly being/having a unified OS that is designed to support multiple consoles (console/portable), in a manner similar to iOS (which supports multiple iphones, ipods, and ipads), do you think it's possible nintendo not only adopts the incremental upgrade scenario, but planned for it all along?

Either upgrading the handheld/console every few years, or allowing some other mechanism (external box, power of the cloud, etc), to allow console/handheld upgrades? They've already tested the waters with NN3DS. What if one upgrade gives better performance while the next upgrade is on part with a brand new console, allowing exclusive games while still being mostly backward compatible with old games?

You can skip out on the 'minor' upgrades if you want (or wait for the minor upgrade) but are heavily encouraged to pick up the 'major' upgrade as it's almost like a new console.

So this is the thing, can they develop this external computing device that could be hooked into the system that would allow the system to use a higher GPU or CPU than it already has? I have no clue because I'm no that smart lol.

If they can though then I'm curious about that patent that involves a game system being connected to a computing device. I'd have to find it but I think Rosti has mentioned it.

It seems like Microsoft may be in the weirdest position right now, if both the PS4K and NX come out within a reasonable time frame of each other, especially if MS hasn't prepared for a soonish future (next two years) with a new console. It will be interesting to see how they respond to the NX and PS4K.

It's good to see a possibility that Nintendo may actually make a powerful console, something that should of been done with the Wii U.

georly

So this is the thing, can they develop this external computing device that could be hooked into the system that would allow the system to use a higher GPU or CPU than it already has? I have no clue because I'm no that smart lol.

If they can though then I'm curious about that patent that involves a game system being connected to a computing device. I'd have to find it but I think Rosti has mentioned it.

Yeah, I'm referring to that patent, specifically.

z0m3le

Banned
With NX supposedly being/having a unified OS that is designed to support multiple consoles (console/portable), in a manner similar to iOS (which supports multiple iphones, ipods, and ipads), do you think it's possible nintendo not only adopts the incremental upgrade scenario, but planned for it all along?

Either upgrading the handheld/console every few years, or allowing some other mechanism (external box, power of the cloud, etc), to allow console/handheld upgrades? They've already tested the waters with NN3DS. What if one upgrade gives better performance while the next upgrade is on part with a brand new console, allowing exclusive games while still being mostly backward compatible with old games?

You can skip out on the 'minor' upgrades if you want (or wait for the minor upgrade) but are heavily encouraged to pick up the 'major' upgrade as it's almost like a new console.

Obviously too early to think about since we know nothing about the system - but it's possible nintendo is planning something like this in a more robust way than sony/MS did.

Other than map, what would you need a second screen for? I know tapping on the map to launch after a respawn is a thing, but that can just pop up on the TV.

That sounds like what Iwata meant when he said they wanted to move from a hardware platform to an account based one. He even sighted iOS and Android, said that the console and handheld would become "like brothers in a family of products" < which to me sounds like DS, DSlite, DSi, DSXL or 3DS, n3DS, ect.

Nope.

I think its been widely discussed that to make a game capable of rendering actual 4K as opposed to upscaling would not only be basically impossible on a console size box but also cost at least a grand

No, that depends entirely on the game. Even the PS3 can render in 4K if the game isn't demanding (see Okami). Rendering current PS4 games in 4K is a different story.

I love how power level is the most talked about thing in this thread.

Power level won't matter one iota to the success or failure of NX.

I disagree.

Jackano

Clearly to me that was in Iwata's mind since, idk, at least near the end of Wii U's design (2011), or even way before that (around the DSi release).

It was a factor in the Wii U, among many others admittedly. It matters in the fact that Nintendo needs to have a platform that 3rd parties can have a big presence on.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Out of all the things to be critical about, porting that selection of games is definitely a good idea. They could be publishing trash like Sing It Party and the Lego City Stories as filler instead.

SONy ported their entire digital catalog and several of their big PS3 games over instantly.

"Filler?" That game was amazing.

cacildo

I'll wait for NX 1.5!

Notwithstanding I'm really looking forward to see what comes out of this! Pumped as hell!

Come to think of it, its pretty funny that Nintendo dosent usually work with the "New 3ds/DSi/PS4K" mentality when it comes to home consoles.

The gamecube, as far as i remember, only had that "Panasonic q" released... sold 10 units, nobody needed that (EDIT: i wish i had one)

The wii had only two variations: the black wii (which is nice, but it was the same as the regular wii) and the Wii Mini, which was worst than regular wii.

And the WiiU never had a revision, only different bundles. The best WiiU version still the one that was out at release day

While the Playstation always has a mid-life revision, the 360 also had one, right?

georly

The only thing it matters is for 3rd party development. If NX is inferior by a considerable margin and therefore hard to port to, due to power limitations, then yes, power will matter.

Outside of that, it doesn't matter one bit. Games won't miraculously get better on it because it has a better cpu.

MK_768

Yeah but this is GAF. You got the Sony fanboys who love to shit on Nintendo so they like to bring up the PS4K. Then you have the Nintendo fanboys who are very defensive and just want to be taken seriously.

So power level matters to winning or failing on GAF lol.

I'm just in awe at how much people are taking both rumors and running with it while there still is no official confirmation. The PS4K still has no final word from Sony and neither does this NX rumor along with the many thousands that came with it. I don't understand how this logic works lol.

I'm just in awe at how much people are taking both rumors and running with it while there still is no official confirmation. The PS4K still has no final word from Sony and neither does this NX rumor along with the many thousands that came with it. I don't understand how this logic works lol.

Portable Splatoon makes too much sense.
And the PS4K has pretty much been confirmed by everyone but Sony.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Those super popular games are based on Travian not Ogre Battle.
"Strategy" is a super broad term encomapssing everything from Checkers to Europa Universalis.

My point is strategy or war games aren't niche on mobile. Genres like rhythm and brain games aren't doing anything on mobile, so Nintendo probably would be better off with a Fire Emblem or Advance Wars style game.

georly

What else is there to do in a rumor thread? All of our ideas/conversations are hypothetical *assuming* the rumor is true. I think we all know it's a rumor. If it's not true, then our hypotheticals don't matter, and we know that. You'd rather we not do that at all? And have everyone say "well, it's just a rumor, i'll wait and see. No need to think about possibilities"

Frodo

Where we are going to we need no logic. Get outta here, sis.

-MB-

Nintendo just sold about 12 million Wii U's lifetime. I doubt Sony is shaking in their boots.

Nintendo just sold about 20 million gamecubes back in 2006 lifetime, and Sony was not shaking in their boots either.
And then Wii happened....

Even if the chance is slim, Sony cannot allow themselves to be complacent again regarding competition, regardless of what some forum posters may think.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
"Filler?" That game was amazing.

Yep. I'm still sad to see Lego City Undercover so ignored. A very fun game, a joy to play despite those long loading times. I hope we'll get a sequel some day.

Ad0ve

Banned
The funny thing about the NX splashing into the market is that it won't get much flack if any that Sony and Microsoft will get over incremental consoles. No one outside of the Wii U faithful even realize it's not a Wii lol. So Jane Q. Public is going to perceive it as a new console in nearly a decade.
"Breaking news! After almost 10 years, Nintendo has finally returned to the console market!"

TAS

It actually does tho. Like it or not, we live in a world dominated by the latest and greatest tech. Have a weaker system automatically affects consumer and developer interest.

Yeah but it hasn't been confirmed. The company had the final word. I'm not as gullible as most people on gaf (because of hype) to believe anything at this point. People are getting bent out of shape over rumors that still haven't been confirmed by any parties.

ec0ec0

This sounds suicidal.

Nintendo doesn't want to depend on third parties or anyone else. They don't want to sell expensive hardware and they absolutely don't want to develop AAA PS4 level games.

Nintendo are the platform holders, so, by going with one hardware configuration or the other, they're deciding what kind of games can be done for their platform. If they released a powerfull console, they would have to use said power as third parties would use it. Nintendo doesn't want to enter that game.

Nintendo is a small company, yet they develop many polished, mechanical refined, "nintendo quality" games. A quick look at the competiton will tell you how they do that. Nintendo's games are simple, smaller in scope, "technically unimpressive" and have small teams and modest budgets.

Now you may be thinking about Zelda, the proof that nintendo can have an actually big team developing a more ambitious game while maintaining nintendo's desing philosophies, polish and "nintendo quality". Well, how often do they release one of those? When was skyward sword released? :p

Developing multiple "the legend of zelda level games" would probaby end up in dissaster.

And how would nintendo even compete graphically!? A significant part of nintendo's developers are used to 3ds level games for jesus christ! the rest to wiiu level games.

And what would going with a powerfull console mean for the handheld!? What about the plan of, from now on, going with a single architecture? What about the console and the handheld sharing some of the same games!?

Why wouldn't you base all these decisions on what is better for the handheld, considering that is has always been, you know, what makes the most money?

It seems more reasonable to go with the unified architecture route: both console and handheld to be ARM.

The transition would definitely be easier with a no so powerfull console. Nintendo's developers won't have to suffer another awfull transition like from wii to wiiu. Remeber the first year? lol and people want them to release "ps4 level games".

Develop one version of most games then optimize it to both the console and the handheld.

Keep developing simple "nintendo like games", with relatively small teams. You don't have to release a different game of each franchise to each platform anymore, you simply release one. Take advantage of that to release plenty of " nintendo quality" games. By the way, now that you don't have to release two 3d marios, two mario karts, two zeldas, two smash games etc... maybe now you have time to use other franchises.

And so on.

benedictm

Banned
No, that depends entirely on the game. Even the PS3 can render in 4K if the game isn't demanding (see Okami). Rendering current PS4 games in 4K is a different story.

I disagree.

Well, yes. But do you think Nintendo can release a console now where the games don;'t look as good as a PS4 even if it is 4k?

Even if it did 4k output for less demanding games is a very difficult marketing message.

-Horizon-

That's kind of the point of a rumor. To talk about it until we hear something more concrete.
What this rumor has as opposed to a dozen others is that the sources provided are at least verified by mods here so they're not just "lol random troll leak".

People who are desperate for information and who can't temper their expectations. It's crazy how many people are driving at conclusions and making assumptions with only the tinest inkling of info about any of the upcoming systems.

It's like people judging upcoming albums when all they know are the number of tracks or the name (basically nothing)

SDCowboy

I'm interested, but I'm not going to fully care until I see whether it's a traditional console or not. Hopefully the former.

georly

It actually does tho. Like it or not, we live in a world dominated by the latest and greatest tech. Have a weaker system automatically affects consumer and developer interest.

Anecdotally speaking, you wouldn't believe how many people's FIRST criteria for a game is "are the graphics good?" I heard that EXPONENTIALLY more working at gamestop through 2 console generations than "is the game fun?" The other is "is it better than the last one?"

MK_768

Nintendo just sold about 20 million gamecubes back in 2006 lifetime, and Sony was not shaking in their boots either.
And then Wii happened....

Even if the chance is slim, Sony cannot allow themselves to be complacent again regarding competition, regardless of what some forum posters may think.

Sony wasn't complacent with the PS360Wii generation. They were arrogant. Their arrogance cost them that gen. A $600 system hurt them...

benedictm

Banned
Yeah but it hasn't been confirmed. The company had the final word. I'm not as gullible as most people on gaf (because of hype) to believe anything at this point. People are getting bent out of shape over rumors that still haven't been confirmed by any parties.

This. If a PS4K does come out make my words there will be no different to gaming apart from upscaling existing games. There will be no enhanced games for the new machine. ti will allow 4k streaming for Netflix and the 4k streaming service Sony recently launched

Sony is a company who knows marketing. Marketing a machine with different games available would be suicide.

trixx

I highly doubt that the focus is going to be on console. I mean yeah mobile has been killing handhelds, but their handhelds are still bigger than their home console competition

Also PC's are increasingly becoming popular amongst gamers in the west. The console could very well be more powerful than the ps4 but I still don't see how they'll get gamers beyond the hardcore nintendo fans

The series is now going from strength to strength, Awakening did 2 million worldwide at full price and Fates just had the single best opening the series has ever seen in the US.

Your not making sense, why would Nintendo torpedo a winning strategy ?

Because I do not see Nintendo's next dedicated handheld (if there is one) being successful outside of Japan.

A lot of people own 3DS's, it doesn't mean they'll buy another.

MK_768

Anecdotally speaking, you wouldn't believe how many people's FIRST criteria for a game is "are the graphics good?" I heard that EXPONENTIALLY more working at gamestop through 2 console generations than "is the game fun?" The other is "is it better than the last one?"

Then those people musta loved Assassin's Creed Unity

This sounds suicidal.

Nintendo doesn't want to depend on third parties or anyone else. They don't want to sell expensive hardware and they absolutely don't want to develop AAA PS4 level games.

Nintendo are the platform holders, so, by going with one hardware configuration or the other, they're deciding what kind of games can be done for their platform. If they released a powerfull console, they would have to use said power as third parties would use it. Nintendo doesn't want to enter that game.

Nintendo is a small company, yet they develop many polished, mechanical refined, "nintendo quality" games. A quick look at the competiton will tell you how they do that. Nintendo's games are simple, smaller in scope, "technically unimpressive" and have small teams and modest budgets.

Now you may be thinking about Zelda, the proof that nintendo can have an actually big team developing a more ambitious game while maintaining nintendo's desing philosophies, polish and "nintendo quality". Well, how often do they release one of those? When was skyward sword released? :p

Developing multiple "the legend of zelda level games" would probaby end up in dissaster.

And how would nintendo even compete graphically!? A significant part of nintendo's developers are used to 3ds level games for jesus christ! the rest to wiiu level games.

And what would going with a powerfull console mean for the handheld!? What about the plan of, from now on, going with a single architecture? What about the console and the handheld sharing some of the same games!?

Why wouldn't you base all these decisions on what is better for the handheld, considering that is has always been, you know, what makes the most money?

It seems more reasonable to go with the unified architecture route: both console and handheld to be ARM.

The transition would definitely be easier with a no so powerfull console. Nintendo's developers won't have to suffer another awfull transition like from wii to wiiu. Remeber the first year? lol and people want them to release "ps4 level games".

Develop one version of most games then optimize it to both the console and the handheld.

Keep developing simple "nintendo like games", with relatively small teams. You don't have to release a different game of each franchise to each platform anymore, you simply release one. Take advantage of that to release plenty of " nintendo quality" games. By the way, now that you don't have to release two 3d marios, two mario karts, two zeldas, two smash games etc... maybe now you have time to use other franchises.

And so on.
Are you serious with this post?

The recent Digital Foundry details on the PS4K raised a lot of questions about it. They noted that while they have sources confirming that a prototype does exist in Sony HQ, they can't find any developer that has a kit. And they even noted that well placed sources within Sony didn't even know it existed until the leak. Companies have lots of prototypes that never make it to market.

georly

Then those people musta loved Assassin's Creed Unity

I mean, just because they bought it doesn't mean they loved it, but it was usually enough to sell them on the game. If they hate it, they'd sell it back to gamestop. (I also stopped working there in 2011, my last day was the skyrim launch).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom