• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
4K makes absolutely zero sense for Nintendo at this point. I remember they specifically wanted Wii to be non-HD because the HD penetration into consumer households was so small at the time of release.

Perhaps their philosophy has changed.

udivision

It doesn't seem like it is his info. He references a 'report' that says those things, but I'm not sure which one he is talking about.
He buries the fact that there are rumors. Doesn't mention the word until later in the story, and implies this is all confirmed before that...

Schnozberry

What about fidelity scaling

Wouldnt you just need 4K capability to make very simplistic games at 4K?

Sure, you could always output 4K if you wanted to try and scale up or run titles that don't require a lot of grunt from the GPU. That just requires a decent scaler and HDMI 2.0.

I think pushing 4K for complex titles in the console price range is still quite a few years off. Graphics cards capable of this on PC will still be over $500 well through 2017.

Raide

We are hitting peaks though

The difference will be smaller than it was in the past and it might just need to be "powerful enough"

Hell WiiU might have done better had they threw in an HDD and leaned hard on how well their games ran at 1080p

Among a mountain of other "fixes" WiiU needed

Well, peaks to a certain extent. There is plenty of new tech appearing 2016 and beyond that will harvest some really nice upgrades but if they are merely aiming at current tech, it should still be a nice upgrade.

Personally I thought the Wii-U was a capable machine. Its just the clunky ass controller and the usual Nintendo mismanagement that borked it. A few tweaks to the guts could still produce a decent and capable machine without having to go crazy expensive just o keep up.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You're missing the point by focussing on genre descriptors rather than actual gameplay.
"Strategy games" of the ilk of FE or AW are... what, FF:T? Which even backed by the very recognisable brand name "Final Fantasy" (vastly more recognisable than "Fire Emblem") is punching sales figures in the 200k range on an install base of hundreds of millions of people where "Brain games" (aka logic puzzles) are in the 10s of millions of installs in various flavours of Sudoku / Nonograms / etc.

Here's a brain Training clone punching 5 million plus on Android alone

I only have iOS, so I'm not familiar with what's big on Android. What I'm seeing in the FTP sector, which I'm guessing is the route they'd take is a lot of war themed games. Far more then any "brain" games.

Final Fantasy isn't putting up as many numbers, because they charge a big premium for their games, which very little of the mobile market is willing to pay.

I'm sure they're going to do some sort of brain game, but I don't agree with dismissing a Fire Emblem as niche. Obviously aspects of the game would have to change for mobile, but I think it could be popular.

An upgraded port of Smash 4 makes all the sense in the world. A true Smash 5 would be years and years in the making unless they made it a straight sequel to Smash 4, meaning using the same engine and many of the same assets... at which point, why not just release Smash 4 Complete now and reap the income that it would provide? You can even keep adding DLC over time.

Mario Kart is a totally different animal, as the turnaround on sequels has been about 3 years since Double Dash. We're technically due for another Mario Kart in 2017 anyway, so porting 8 in 2016 would more directly compete with the sequel in a way that a 2016 Smash 4 Complete won't be competing with a 2020/21 Smash 5.

I would still want a MK8 port

its so fucking good.... i would hate to leave it buried on WiiU...

I hope MK9 is equally as good and lets you access all the amazing tracks. I hate how tracks get shuffled and buried

Just bundle em as DLC or something

Even if the NX is stronger than the PS4 it won't matter, as it would be perceived as weaker anyway, case in point, many an idiot proclaimed the 3rd party games in the og. WiiU sizzle reel to look worse than their 360 version, when the footage was in fact from the 360 Version.

Still, this pre announcement phase is always the most entertaining time, and I think that the 3D print fake alone has made the NX speculation the most epic one ever.

Calamari41

41 > 38

I hope MK9 is equally as good and lets you access all the amazing tracks. I hate how tracks get shuffled and buried

I agree completely. What I'm hoping is that they make the next Mario Kart more of a service, and start releasing classic tracks by the bushel.

omonimo

Banned
I think people are forgetting that Nintendo can make a powerful console in the current market at a reason price point

Going with a mass market chipset just makes sense
Based on what? What do you mean exactly for powerful console? Because I don't think it's that simple realize an hardware significantly more powerful of the ps4, with a comparable price point.

Sure, you could always output 4K if you wanted to try and scale up or run titles that don't require a lot of grunt from the GPU. That just requires a decent scaler and HDMI 2.0.

I think pushing 4K for complex titles in the console price range is still quite a few years off. Graphics cards capable of this on PC will still be over $500 well through 2017.

Yes and that goes for ANY system right now

Even current PCs

I think this whole 4K gaming push is going to amount to 4K media and simple games that avoid using heavy resources

Schnozberry

I think we're more likely to see MK9 Holiday 2017. It would be a great title for simultaneous release on the handheld and console.

Daft Punk

Banned
Don't act like yall don't know what I'm talking about. This thread was already starting with confirmation bias. People coming into the thread trying to counter this rumor with another rumor and people using this rumor to basically talk down the systems of this gen that has already done enough to be successful in their approaches. I obviously have no problem with hypotheticals drawn to explain Nintendo strategy of this "system" based on the rumor which lots of people have talking about especially comparing it to the Wii U success and the Financials etc etc...

But the confirmation bias is real and it's a logic I don't understand. You can't counter a rumor with another rumor.

And for the record just to add my two cents on this rumor... I believe that it will be on par with everything that exist today but with Nintendo flare. I don't believe any power rumors from any company until the final confirmation because playing with power is something people all too well fall for way too much and then when it's confirmed, everyone has an issue with it. So I'm not twisting anything to fit a narrative at this point.

Finally someone says it. It's ok to be excited for NX, but people's expectations and hype has now turned that hope into confirmation bias and poo-pooing anyone trying to bring a realistic approach to it. Hell, just on this page we already have snarky ass comments and people acting offended that the NX could very well be outclassed by the PS4K and Xbone 1.5 by the time it comes out. Be reasonable people.

Meesh

Just woke up, took a stroll through this thread and boy did it get salty. I'm just not even sure where to direct my comment...suffice to say the multiple sources make this rumour the most credible we've had. But that's just it, it's still just a rumour...besides I was personally resigned to NX meeting XB1 never mind exceeding PS4 and at the end of the day shit changes all the time, if there's any truth to this at all Nintendo may nerf it a little for cost/or some other bogus reasons because of the gimmick, who really knows??

All I can say myself is if true, if, many hardcore/enthusiast gamers may see value in the box based on what's under the hood, there's bound to be a healthy selection of third party offerings as well if porting is that easy, and the remasteres/definitive versions(?) serve to compliment the new titles Nintendos already working on. Sure this move looks uncharacteristic of Nintendo, but considering the position they're in? They need to make a statement, it's do or die for them and if there's any truth to this I think that's the message to take away from it. Desperate Nintendo is best Nintendo, we know it, the industry knows it, let's see what they've got to bring to the table and with what games.

Raide

Even if the NX is stronger than the PS4 it won't matter, as it would be perceived as weaker anyway, case in point, many an idiot proclaimed the 3rd party games in the og. WiiU sizzle reel to look worse than their 360 version, when the footage was in fact from the 360 Version.

Still, this pre announcement phase is always the most entertaining time, and I think that the 3D print fake alone has made the NX speculation the most epic one ever.

The hype phase is always the most exiting. This year we have all three manufacturers rumouring console updates/new consoles, so E3 should be very entertaining. :D

Schnozberry

Yes and that goes for ANY system right now

Even current PCs

I think this whole 4K gaming push is going to amount to 4K media and simple games that avoid using heavy resources

The rumored specs on the PS4K seem aimed squarely at VR and not at 4K gaming. I think Sony knows that pushing 60+ fps for the PSVR with the current PS4 will become a serious struggle when developers want more complex games.

These remasters hint at the possibility of not being backwards compatible. Sad.

It would matter, except there will be a more powerful PS4 and Xbone soon after. Nintendo is late to the party.

Eradicate

Speaking of amiibo, saw another patent or two showing how they can make it so direction can be interpreted (which way the amiibo is facing). Could make for a neat Mario Party type of game using a tablet (the pictures kind of show this happening) with maybe a console, kind of like what I was talking about earlier.

But, regardless, surely amiibo-support and features are going to be expanded.

The rumored specs on the PS4K seem aimed squarely at VR and not at 4K gaming. I think Sony knows that pushing 60+ fps for the PSVR with the current PS4 will become a serious struggle when developers want more complex games.

Agreed

I still think we will see plenty of 4K media and simple games and tech demos

MK_768

I think we're more likely to see MK9 Holiday 2017. It would be a great title for simultaneous release on the handheld and console.

You really think that? Call me crazy but I think MK9 will be a mid 2018 game. I think the new Mario 3D game will get the 2017 holiday lol. This is just based on the history of the games and an educational guess. Mario Kart Wii came out in April and Mario Kart 8 came out in May.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Smash, Mario Maker, Mario Kart, and Splatoon all need to be Persistent service type games in my mind

Yup. The guts of all four of these games are robust and solid. Just keep refining and adding content, and at the very least the time between sequels can be extended while Nintendo sees increased revenue over time per title.

Raide

This year is going to be one for the ages,good or bad it's going to be huge.

All we need is some crazy game rumours to start surfacing and we are set! I wonder if Sony will pull of another Shenmue style coup this year? I wonder if MS or Nintendo will try to one-up this year as well. Fun fun!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The most hilarious part is calling them a "small company". They're worth as much as Sony.

Sony.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Nintendo isn't small but Sony's first party has been abysmal so far outside a few gems. Takes why to for their higher quality games to hit. So it's not the worse argument in world. No one is cranking out games outside of the usual yearly franchises.

The_Lump

Banned
You're severely underestimating Nintendo's capacity to deliver high production value games. That's not cause it's cartoony that it's not technically amazing. Hell even that Toad game looked like a pixar movie, regardless of teh available power. I'm speaking assets and art there.

Indeed.

It seems a lot easier for people to imagine a huge team working on a "realistic" looking gam - even if it is mechanically very simple. But many folk have a hard time comprehending that a "cartoony" looking game with more complex mechanics might also take a very large team of developers to achieve.

Akki

Akki, as to doubling down on a console vs. a handheld, I do believe it's possible a HH will release this year in JP and a console in the West (I want to say Nintendo has hinted at such a possibility but I don't have the comment handy), or that we get a HH at the same time as the console or perhaps next Spring with the console this year. They may believe this year's 3DS games including Pokémon will be enough to hold off on the HH a bit longer. They may want to attempt to give their console business a huge shot in the arm this year, and to triage 3DS in the meantime as a system to replace soon after. As to doubling down on the screen idea, I agree a refined Wii U is a potentially concerning idea, so hopefully if they include a screen they've got a way to do it in a way that's cheaper and/or much more appealing to consumers.

Agree, if there´s a shared library the gap between console and handheld launch should be relatively close. Releasing the console in november and the handheld in march/april 2017 is reasonable, but im favouring a simultaneous release. Get both devices into the stores and let the customer decide which one they prefer.

I believe the shared library is a great idea and a opportunity how Nintendo can succeed longterm. Thats why its concerning that we havent heard anything about the handheld.

I hope they figure some way to emulate WiiU titles then

Would love to carry my digital library over

Yup. The guts of all four of these games are robust and solid. Just keep refining and adding content, and at the very least the time between sequels can be extended while Nintendo sees increased revenue over time per title.

This guy gets it!

True. Around the PS4 level would be amazing for Nintendo but unless it gains massive traction early on, it is in danger of getting left behind once the Xbox and PS4 successors get announced 2 or 3 years down the line. (If they both don't go down the .5 upgrade path of course)
If the console ever gets left behind they can just release a NX.5. If the market demands it, at least. They can see how the ps4k will be received

The Wii U library isn't too vast, porting key titles is likely the way to go.

Schnozberry

You really think that? Call me crazy but I think MK9 will be a mid 2018 game. I think the new Mario 3D game will get the 2017 holiday lol. This is just based on the history of the games and an educational guess. Mario Kart Wii came out in April and Mario Kart 8 came out in May.

You may be right. I'm not clairvoyant. My thought was that the NX handheld will be released mid to late 2017, and the power of Kart would make it a great launch title.

Raide

This guy gets it!

I really hope this is a thing but Nintendo do love to re-sell games to people over and over, especially stuff VC focused.

If the console ever gets left behind they can just release a NX.5. If the market demands it, at least. They can see how the ps4k will be received

TBH, with the low market for 4k TVs currently, if the NX can do stable 1080p@60, then it will last long enough to need a direct successor. Their own games will look great regardless, its just weather they can sustain the games and not just create a Wii-U style drought.

And unless Nintendo gamers actually start buying third party games instead of the handful of yearly first-party Nintendo titles, that will never happen.

That alone is a way bigger issue than any power concerns.

Exactly. There's some serious leaps of logic here.

17-35 YO Western male gamers, the main audience for AAA multiplatform titles, are already very well served by PS4 and XB1. What incentive will Nintendo give them to buy the likes of CoD and AC on NX, instead of on the hardware they probably already own, platforms with far better-established and more robust online communities? "Um... but now you can play it on the same platform as Mario and Zelda?"

The Wii U library isn't too vast, porting key titles is likely the way to go.

True

and looks like its what is actually happening

I just dont want to have to keep the WiiU around since my family likes to play Mario kart

Maybe Ill leave the WiiU as the family console and keep the NX to myself lol

pastrami

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Main interesting part of the rumour is that Nintendo's focus on 60fps means whe'll like get a a significant amount more 60fps games that are graphically up to snuff, rather than 30fps that your better off owning a PC for.

And unless Nintendo gamers actually start buying third party games instead of the handful of yearly first-party Nintendo titles, that will never happen.

That alone is a way bigger issue than any power concerns.

Well in all fairness, Nintendo gamers haven't really had the chance to buy 3rd party quality ports on Nintendo consoles in a while.

All we need is some crazy game rumours to start surfacing and we are set! I wonder if Sony will pull of another Shenmue style coup this year? I wonder if MS or Nintendo will try to one-up this year as well. Fun fun!
Sony just needs to show TLOU 2 for me to flip out. The Ps4 for me is exclusively used for ND games anyway.

If Nintendo blows the lid on NX i'm already dead

georly

So have you checked the market caps today? Because Sony is now worth approximately double what Nintendo is now. Not to mention market cap is only one basic metric for "company size."

In nearly every way Sony dwarfs Nintendo, from employees, revenue, and assets/liabilities. People should stop parroting around a two year old article.

I was in the process of editing and linking to them. I updated my reply. I'm just saying what that person you were replying to was basing it off of. That said, nintendo WAS bigger than sony 2 years ago, sony turned it around. I don't think anyone would have said SONY was a small company 2 years ago, so why should anyone say nintendo is a small company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom