• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYIcyCF.gif

Auctopus

I'd love if this was more powerful than the PS4. I love the idea of Reggie bitterly working away on the NX in his garage muttering "You wanna see a console? I'll show you a fucking console"

MK_768

And unless Nintendo gamers actually start buying third party games instead of the handful of yearly first-party Nintendo titles, that will never happen.

That alone is a way bigger issue than any power concerns.

This is always the worst argument imo. Don't expect Nintendo fans to buy gimped ports that are better on other consoles.

Raide

Sony just needs to show TLOU 2 for me to flip out. The Ps4 for me is exclusively used for ND games anyway.

If Nintendo blows the lid on NX i'm already dead

:D

I would say I am a bit more interested in how MS react to everything and they do have a few games I am super interested in seeing more of (ReCore, Crackdown, Scalebound etc) but I am certainly keeping an eye on what Sony and Nintendo do. The PS4K stuff is interesting, as is the NX (NX probably because it might be the only place I can play Monster Hunter lol)

Come on E3!

georly

Oh my god, you found the gif. That's my favorite gif. It's happening all over again.

Unlike Wii u, though, the rumors are that this is a powerful system. For Wii U the rumors were that it was only slightly more powerful than PS3/XB360, so the realistic ones knew PS4/XB1 would crush it in a year. We'll see how it pans out.

And unless Nintendo gamers actually start buying third party games instead of the handful of yearly first-party Nintendo titles, that will never happen.

I will 100% buy 3rd party games on the NX, provided they're not Sony/MS's table scraps, like they have been for the last ~15 years. Give me a good port, and I'll 100% play it on my NX over PS4. Every time. (Assuming NX isn't a pain in the ass to play, for whatever reason - nintendo needs to help out, too).

Calamari41

41 > 38
You really think that? Call me crazy but I think MK9 will be a mid 2018 game. I think the new Mario 3D game will get the 2017 holiday lol. This is just based on the history of the games and an educational guess. Mario Kart Wii came out in April and Mario Kart 8 came out in May.

A lot of it depends on their strategy. They know they need great games quickly... I could see a scenario where they barely change the Mario Kart 8 engine and make an iterative sequel very fast. It's an amazing game, and they don't need to reinvent the wheel here. They are likely going to be adding other Nintendo characters, too, which will differentiate the game big time. Taking this approach, they could have a full Mario Kart 9 ready to go in about the time it would take to make a large DLC pack. If it is the same engine as 8, they could even throw in the MK8 tracks on the disc if they felt so inclined.

Or they could reinvent the wheel, and they would still be on track for a 2017 release date going by the turnaround time for previous Mario Karts.

4K makes absolutely zero sense for Nintendo at this point. I remember they specifically wanted Wii to be non-HD because the HD penetration into consumer households was so small at the time of release.

Perhaps their philosophy has changed.
Read between those lines. It's obvious by now the real reason the Wii ended up being what it was (hardware-wise).

4K makes absolutely zero sense for Nintendo at this point. I remember they specifically wanted Wii to be non-HD because the HD penetration into consumer households was so small at the time of release.

It probably doesnt hurt them to throw in 4K capability

It might just be a forgone conclusion with the components they are sourcing

If they are buying mass market contracts then why not if they are already making capbable chips?

You guys forget that they dont build these things themselves

So have you checked the market caps today? Because Sony is now worth approximately double what Nintendo is now. Not to mention market cap is only one basic metric for "company size."

In nearly every way Sony dwarfs Nintendo, from employees, revenue, and assets/liabilities. People should stop parroting around a two year old article.

Edit: Saw your edit late.
So Sony's around $42 billion now? Impressive if so.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I will 100% buy 3rd party games on the NX, provided they're not Sony/MS's table scraps, like they have been for the last ~15 years. Give me a good port, and I'll 100% play it on my NX over PS4. Every time. (Assuming NX isn't a pain in the ass to play, for whatever reason - nintendo needs to help out, too).

As long as the GPU is at least on par with the XBO (which is what I'm expecting), ports shouldn't be too bad. The biggest issue facing Nintendo and third party support is the SDK and documentation. They've been atrocious with that in the past and it has made ports to their consoles even worse than they should be.

FyreWulff

Read between those lines. It's obvious by now the real reason the Wii ended up being what it was (hardware-wise).

That -was- the real reason.

Sony and MS even stopped including HD connectivity in the box with the 360 and the PS3 after the launch window. Both the PS3 and 360 just came with composite YWR cables for the rest of their run in the standard SKUs.

The Wii U was actually the first console to only include HDMI, standard.

And even within HD, 720p is still the most adopted HD resolution.

MK_768

A lot of it depends on their strategy. They know they need great games quickly... I could see a scenario where they barely change the Mario Kart 8 engine and make an iterative sequel very fast. It's an amazing game, and they don't need to reinvent the wheel here. They are likely going to be adding other Nintendo characters, too, which will differentiate the game big time. Taking this approach, they could have a full Mario Kart 9 ready to go in about the time it would take to make a large DLC pack. If it is the same engine as 8, they could even throw in the MK8 tracks on the disc if they felt so inclined.

Or they could reinvent the wheel, and they would still be on track for a 2017 release date going by the turnaround time for previous Mario Karts.

Yeah I agree about the strategy. I just don't think Nintendo would put Mario 3D and Mario Kart close together hence why I disagree on a 2017 launch. Now they could surprise us and have something for mid 2017 then I see it. Of course if Nintendo gets bold and put Mario 3D at NX launch with Zelda...then all options are on the table lol.

But this is the type of speculation I like lol. I'm not a hardware nerd and ultimately hardware talk is a lot of posturing and dick-measuring. People can't have serious conversations about that.

Literally every decision made when developing the Wii or any of its successful games was predicated on "how can we change what we're doing so we don't leave a bunch of people behind?"

The lack of HD penetration meant that making an expensive system would be making people pay $100s extra for a feature they didn't need. That wasn't going to happen, just like it didn't happen during the first half of PS3's life.

I don't see how there's some secretive "real" reason that isn't consistent with the stuff Nintendo was saying about their strategy with Wii out the gate.

BY2K

Membero Americo

If they are buying mass market contracts then why not if they are already making capbable chips?

PCs are just starting to do 4K gaming with graphic cards that cost an arm and a leg and all 3 major platforms can't do consistent native 1080p gaming.

Come back when all games on all platforms are native 1080p before even talking about 4K gaming on consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

4k support is just going to be for upscaling and UI resolution, not native rendering. Most modern GPUs support it and if they're using the current HDMI spec there's really no point in not including it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

But it's soooo hard. You're telling me to not buy the awesome game and instead buy the not as awesome games.

FyreWulff

I'd only expect a 4K scaler sitting on the video output at most. Native 4K isn't really possible in a console at a price point anybody can afford currently. You're pushing 4 1080p screens worth of data at once.

MisterR

E3 is for that if they don't do it AT E3, people will whine that Nintendo had nothing t show.

No what they should do it introduce the console now at their own thing. Sell us on the console itself and then E3 should be a huge blow out of games that will be coming on it. Trying to do it all at E3 for the Wii U and not even really showing the console, was one of the big early problems with that device. People came out of E3 thinking it was a fucking Wii controller.

PCs are just starting to do 4K gaming with graphic cards that cost an arm and a leg and all 3 major platforms can't do consistent native 1080p gaming.

Come back when all games on all platforms are native 1080p before even talking about 4K gaming on consoles.

Im just saying 4K spec in components might just be a standard feature

I know nothing but its like HDMI specs and shit

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah I agree about the strategy. I just don't think Nintendo would put Mario 3D and Mario Kart close together hence why I disagree on a 2017 launch. Now they could surprise us and have something for mid 2017 then I see it. Of course if Nintendo gets bold and put Mario 3D at NX launch with Zelda...then all options are on the table lol.

But this is the type of speculation I like lol. I'm not a hardware nerd and ultimately hardware talk is a lot of posturing and dick-measuring. People can't have serious conversations about that.

I hear you for sure. Given the fact that 3D World came out in November of 2013 and Mario Kart 8 came out in May of 2014, I could see the same stagger this time. It's been enough time, and I think it's very possible that a new 3D Mario will be ready for launch this Fall and the next Mario Kart will be ready in Q2 or Q3 of next year.

My worthless prediction is 3D Mario, Pikmin, and Smash at launch, with Zelda a couple of weeks after. It's not overkill IMO, as Nintendo needs to hit it out of the park. Throw Retro's game in there too, or launch it in Q1 of 2017 with Mario Kart 9 a couple/few months after. Sprinkle upgraded ports of the top ~10 Wii U games throughout the first couple of years while you're at it.

Stulaw

Actually, I thought of something incredibly important Nintendo need to do for their next system to do well; repair relations with retailers. In the UK, dedicated game stores are the only places you can buy Wii U or 3DS games at retail. Supermarkets and even HMV don't seem to carry them at all. From what I hear, it's a similar situations in other parts of the world also.

I can understand them being reluctant to stock Wii U games, but the Nintendo 3DS is doing very well. And they don't even stock amiibos, yet the shelves are full of Skylander figures. No way Skylander figures sell better than amiibos at present.

Obviously Nintendo seems to have lost value as a whole in their eyes, so Nintendo need to convince them to support them again.

Sainsburys and Tesco both stock Nintendo products, usually being the top 10 games from each console plus amiibo.

They give them no where near the same shelf space as Sony or Microsoft, but that's understandable. This time in the Gamecubes life, only GAME and Gamestation plus a few random local game stores sold GC games.

ozfunghi

I'd only expect a 4K scaler sitting on the video output at most. Native 4K isn't really possible in a console at a price point anybody can afford currently. You're pushing 4 1080p screens worth of data at once.

How about games that get ported from WiiU and were already running in 1080p?

How do you figure?

It can be the most powerful console ever but if there's no market for it, it won't sell. Pretty straightforward, actually.

Coming off the Wii U, Nintendo's biggest worry isn't power. It's whether or not there are enough people who actually want their home console offerings to justify developing dedicated home console hardware. NX will tell all. We shouldn't assume that if NX is powerful it'll get a tonne of third party support and do better than Wii U. I'm actually surprised at how often I've seen this mentality in some of the NX rumour threads. It's a tad naive.

I would really love a Nintendo console on par with current gen consoles, third party titles and a strong support of Sega. I'd probably become single console user again

Make it happen Nintendo!

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That doesn't mean much last gen was technically HD, despite a significant number of it's games being totally not HD. I mean this refresh will be 4K in the same manner. As in really but but marketted as such.

Luigiv

Yup. Wii was SD only because it's GPU was nothing more than a die-shrunk and over-clocked Flipper. Flipper was hard limited to 480p because it only had 2MB of framebuffer and Hollywood had the exact same limitation. Breaking that limit would have required a major redesign of the chip, which would have defeated the whole point of sticking to the same architecture. The "HDTV penetration is low" line was really just a justification for their choice, not the actual decision driver.

If the NX doesn't support 4K it'll be for a different reason to the Wii.

Oppo

actually sounds kinda boring conceptually (and doesn't match what Nintendo has said about 'new gaming concepts'.

this just sounds like "Wii U, but totes better!" *yawn*

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Actually, I thought of something incredibly important Nintendo need to do for their next system to do well; repair relations with retailers. In the UK, dedicated game stores are the only places you can buy Wii U or 3DS games at retail. Supermarkets and even HMV don't seem to carry them at all. From what I hear, it's a similar situations in other parts of the world also.

I can understand them being reluctant to stock Wii U games, but the Nintendo 3DS is doing very well. And they don't even stock amiibos, yet the shelves are full of Skylander figures. No way Skylander figures sell better than amiibos at present.

Obviously Nintendo seems to have lost value as a whole in their eyes, so Nintendo need to convince them to support them again.

You've heard wrong. France, Germany, the US, and Canada are all far more competitive for Nintendo than the UK, and there are fewer issues with brick and mortar stores not stocking Nintendo products in those countries. It's a UK problem.

It can be the most powerful console ever but if there's no market for it, it won't sell. Pretty straightforward, actually.

Coming off the Wii U, Nintendo's biggest worry isn't power. It's whether or not there are enough people who actually want their home console offerings to justify developing dedicated home console hardware. NX will tell all. We shouldn't assume that if NX is powerful it'll get a tonne of third party support and do better than Wii U. I'm actually surprised at how often I've seen this mentality in some of the NX rumour threads. It's a tad naive.

positive word of mouth from the core fanbase will help

certainly worked for PS4

They come out of the gate with a good system, great features, and maybe ever sell their STILL FREE online?

They have options

ozfunghi

actually sounds kinda boring conceptually (and doesn't match what Nintendo has said about 'new gaming concepts'.

this just sounds like "Wii U, but totes better!" *yawn*

Eh... nobody commented on the concept yet. Nobody knows about the hardware. Read the OP.

It also makes literally no sense for them to be ahead of Xbone & PS4 from a resolution perspective. It's not as if 3rd Parties are going to make NX their lead platform unless either a) they're exclusive / money-hatted or b) NX sells like hot cakes and the other 2 tail off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom