• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

How about games that get ported from WiiU and were already running in 1080p?

Probably not.

It's the same reason VR requires a graphics downgrade, because you have to render the scene twice just to get to the 3D part of VR, (and then you need to do it at 90hz minimum to not cause sickness - but the double render already hits you for a lot)

With 4K, a 1080p native game needs to render 4 times as much to the screen. That's a lot. That's even more than you have to push to VR in total. It's technically possible, but not likely in a market where Nintendo aims for 300$ price points.

There's also the fact that in terms of adoption, it's still

720p/1080i >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1080p >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4k 30fps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4k 60fps capable sets.

Even ESPN, the driver of most HD TV sales, still masters broadcasts in 720p because it's the majority of the market. 1080i comes along for the ride since you get 1080i "for free" out of a 720p source since 1080i is technically 540p, so most TV shows are broadcast in 1080i at most.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It can be the most powerful console ever but if there's no market for it, it won't sell. Pretty straightforward, actually.

Coming off the Wii U, Nintendo's biggest worry isn't power. It's whether or not there are enough people who actually want their home console offerings to justify developing dedicated home console hardware. NX will tell all. We shouldn't assume that if NX is powerful it'll get a tonne of third party support and do better than Wii U. I'm actually surprised at how often I've seen this mentality in some of the NX rumour threads. It's a tad naive.

That because screwed up the Wii U on, all levels if they had continued the traditional generation cycle as in a reasonably powered console and ditched the gimmick they would have been in a much better position than they ended up with the Wii U, Free online comparable specs to the PS4, ability to be cheaper than the PS4 a year headstart and 3rd party ports.

It's a rut entirely of their own doing.

X360 took those same advantages and came out winning. Nintendo fumbled significantly.

georly

actually sounds kinda boring conceptually (and doesn't match what Nintendo has said about 'new gaming concepts'.

this just sounds like "Wii U, but totes better!" *yawn*

We know theoretical hardware specs and game ports. We know zero about anything that may make this unique or about any of the brand new games for it. You may be right, but until we know more, I don't think you can make that assessment.

positive word of mouth from the core fanbase will help

certainly worked for PS4

They come out of the gate with a good system, great features, and maybe ever sell their STILL FREE online?

They have options

It's not impossible, but the odds are stacked against them. And I don't believe they won't make a fuck up somewhere. Whether it be with their online, the third party support or the pricing.

Regardless, it's an uphill struggle.

ec0ec0

This sounds suicidal.

[...]

I'm home again.

Regarding my post, i'm sorry? :p

I mean, i thought that those kind of post were ok on gaf, no? Big "subtle" satirical post. I had read multiple of those on gaf in both gaming and sales related threads. Some were great.

I put real effort into it :\

ozfunghi

Probably not.

It's the same reason VR requires a graphics downgrade, because you have to render the scene twice just to get to the 3D part of VR, (and then you need to do it at 90hz minimum to not cause sickness - but the double render already hits you for a lot)

With 4K, a 1080p native game needs to render 4 times as much to the screen. That's a lot. That's even more than you have to push to VR in total. It's technically possible, but not likely in a market where Nintendo aims for 300$ price points.

So, you're saying NX won't be 4x more powerful than WiiU? If the GPU rumor is true, it will push 10x more flops than the WiiU.

I'm talking about a straight port of a 1080p WiiU game such as Smash.

georly

I'm home again.

Regarding my post, i'm sorry? :p

I mean, i thought that those kind of post were ok on gaf, no? Big "subtle" satirical post. I had read multiple of those on gaf in both gaming and sales related threads.

I put real effort into it :\
Poe's Law man, you wen't too far.

Instro

It can be the most powerful console ever but if there's no market for it, it won't sell. Pretty straightforward, actually.

Coming off the Wii U, Nintendo's biggest worry isn't power. It's whether or not there are enough people who actually want their home console offerings to justify developing dedicated home console hardware. NX will tell all. We shouldn't assume that if NX is powerful it'll get a tonne of third party support and do better than Wii U. I'm actually surprised at how often I've seen this mentality in some of the NX rumour threads. It's a tad naive.

Well yes this is all true, no one should suddenly expect a huge turnaround just because it is appropriately powered. However if the goal is to make hardware that is actually appealing, power is clearly a factor. The idea that it has no bearing on the success or failure of a console is just as naive.

It's not impossible, but the odds are stacked against them. And I don't believe they won't make a fuck up somewhere. Whether it be with their online, the third party support or the pricing.

Regardless, it's an uphill struggle.

Pricing and Value will be huge this cycle

Lots of Core games going to be strained for cash and have tough choices this year

They come out the gate with something thats a great value propostion?!

Could be big

WiiU was NOT that system. Instead they had to downplay the ridiculous cost add on of the Gamepad which in turn made them make dumb concessions in every other aspect of the system

Caleones

Banned
Sony should have always been bigger than Nintendo. Nintendo is just a game company whereas Sony has a lot of different divisions like Sony Interactive Entertainment, Sony Pictures, Sony Music, Sony Mobile, etc etc. That Nintendo was able to surpass them was impressive in itself.

It will be interesting what will happen with Nintendo in the next 10 years as they are branching into the mobile smartphone business, make deals using their branch like the one with Universal Studios and will probably be going into the movie business (albeit with other partners).

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is always the worst argument imo. Don't expect Nintendo fans to buy gimped ports that are better on other consoles.

It's a chicken and egg situation. And one that's very unlikely to change with the NX. Proper ports or not, third party games by and large sell like garbage on Nintendo platforms compared to the others.
Or are we all still in this hype-fuelled dream scenario where all future third-party NX ports will be amazing AAA ports now? Because that's got to sound fucking preposterous even to the most diehard of fans.

Again, no-one is going to be gambling away huge sacks of cash for perfect NX ports just to bolster Nintendo's NX launch lineup. Third parties will probably dip their toes in the water, discover that the NX version of the game is selling <10% compared to the PS4/XB1 versions and that'll mean the end of the 'unprecedented partnership'.

Expect the above and you'll likely be less disappointed in the long run. The odds of Nintendo revitalising third party relations are certainly not in Nintendo's favor seeing how fast Wii-U support dried up.

georly

Is it actually reasonable to expect near-future consoles to be outputting games at 4K?

Some games, yes, but no big technical showpieces, like uncharted/god of war/etc. Smaller indie/budget titles that aren't resource heavy.

Interesting. Can I finally look forward to an HD monster hunter?

Day one if so.

Yes please. MH3U was so good. I put in so many hours on my Wii u ;_;

Breakage

Ok. But is this really significant anymore? It'll end up being outclassed by PS4K and Microsoft's Xbox upgrades. So it will still be the least powerful home console at the end of gen 8.

Rodin

Is it actually reasonable to expect near-future consoles to be outputting games at 4K?
Considering that 1000$ GPUs like the Titan X still struggle with that resolution and current gen graphics... I'd say no. Maybe for less demanding games, like for example Frozenbyte said that Trine 2 could run at 4K 30fps on the PS4.

Ok. But is this really significant anymore? It'll end up being outclassed by PS4K and Microsoft's Xbox upgrades. So it will still be the least powerful home console at the end of gen 8.
Why do people think that Sony and Microsoft will retire PS4 and Xbox One to leave only their much more expensive versions on the market...?

If there's something that isn't significant when discussing NX's performances, it's the fact that PS4K and a beefed up Xbox One (if it does exist) will be more powerful, because they will be premium versions of existing machines that will release at a much higher price point.

Raide

Interesting. Can I finally look forward to an HD monster hunter?

Day one if so.

That is IF they move away from the Mobile focus or IF the NX has some handheld version that can do decent graphics this time around. Nintendo has such a stranglehold on the MH series, it will always be held back by handheld tech.

First of all, you don't know if it's getting "outclassed", second, the PS4K has no userbase, developers are still going to aim for the >50.000.000 PS4+XBO users, because they can't ignore them.

Therefore, even the PS4K isn't that significant.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Probably not.

There's also the fact that in terms of adoption, it's still

720p/1080i >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1080p >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4k 30fps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4k 60fps capable sets.

Even ESPN, the driver of most HD TV sales, still masters broadcasts in 720p because it's the majority of the market. 1080i comes along for the ride since you get 1080i "for free" out of a 720p source since 1080i is technically 540p, so most TV shows are broadcast in 1080i at most.
It's definiately feasible on current PC hardware the only issue is playing the latest games with all the bells and whistles at that resolution. Nintendo games due to their focus on performance generally, tend to use work arounds and shortcuts, even if it graphically ends up looking worse. It's certainly feasible for them to pull of 4k with reasonable equipment. Just don't expect them to be looking like the most graphically intensive multiplatform games.

That is IF they move away from the Mobile focus or IF the NX has some handheld version that can do decent graphics this time around. Nintendo has such a stranglehold on the MH series, it will always be held back by handheld tech.

We need 3ds to die first

Its overdue

-Horizon-

It would be a major problem for the nx if every dev abandons the OG ps4 and x1 yeah

Yup, it's classic Underpants Gnome logic.

1. Nintendo makes powerful console
2. ???
3. Gamers of all stripes flock to support first- and third-party software on NX, PROFIT

Competitive specs won't do much to expand the audience for Mario games. Competitive specs won't convince any current PS4/XB1 owner to buy AAA multiplatform games on NX instead.

Bolivar687

Banned
Your move, Sony.

checkmate1.gif.cf.gif

This is one of those topics where it's good to post when it starts dying off lol. Usually by that point the only people left are those who want to think everything through from all perspectives.

All of what 10K said is great news!

2. ???
3. Gamers of all stripes flock to support first- and third-party software on NX, PROFIT

Competitive specs won't do much to expand the audience for Mario games. Competitive specs won't convince any current PS4/XB1 owner to buy AAA multiplatform games on NX instead.

Sure

but it doesnt matter. They are still going to be sourcing base components from the current market selection provided by their partners

Many of which have been broken down by posters like Thraktor. EITHER WAY NX should be a competitive system unless they deliberately source the weakest options available to them

They are more like going to go with contracts that make the most sense at volume though.

FyreWulff

It's definiately feasible on current PC hardware the only issue is playing the latest games with all the bells and whistles at that resolution. Nintendo games due to their focus on performance generally, tend to use work arounds and shortcuts, even if it graphically ends up looking worse. It's certainly feasible for them to pull of 4k with reasonable equipment. Just don't expect them to be looking like the most graphically intensive multiplatform games.

Yeah, that's possible. Much like how 60fps titles now take a graphical hit to keep that 60fps mark (Halo 5, Call of Duty)

I would also expected sub-4k to be a thing, much like sub-720 and sub-1080 have been. Where a game is somewhere between 1080p and 4k, where they're just feeding as many unique pixels to the 4k scaler as they can or letterboxing while keeping appearance and performance where they want it.

Agreed. 3DS needs to die and ASAP. NX handheld and I am all aboard IF MH appears. Would love a MH Home console and handheld version though.

Ever since Toukiden was cross play with Vita/PS4..... I was like

Holy shit why cant Capcom do Monster Hunter this well in a cross play environment

They need to follow Sony's footsteps and do it better than Sony did

pooh

Question is, what's the gimmick?

My guess:

1. A combined platform across NX devices that would allow for synced cloud saves, as well as digital and physical (cartridge) crossbuy.

2. The use of SCDs in streaming and/or boosting power from the home console to lower end devices, such as the portable unit.

3. Multi-screen local multiplayer using more than one gamepad/portable device.

4. Free-from displays that allow for more options to implement UI elements on the controller, which could be either a gamepad/portable unit or something more similar to the Wii U pro.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
First of all, you don't know if it's getting "outclassed", second, the PS4K has no userbase, developers are still going to aim for the >50.000.000 PS4+XBO users, because they can't ignore them.

Therefore, even the PS4K isn't that significant.

PS4 is a big questionmark if it really does end up costing like $500. Namely how much of that 40 something million userbase is willing to shell out that kind of money for a console they already shelled out $400 on. It's a pretty big ask, for a userbase that's not used to that.

georly

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to stick that on PS4?

Or at least make it multi-plat.

If it's MHX HD, or MH5 HD, where MH5 is on NX portable, then no. If MH is finally just going to go 'console as the main version,' then yes, but considering MH's popularity on handheld in japan, I'd say not likely.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is one of those topics where it's good to post when it starts dying off lol. Usually by that point the only people left are those who want to think everything through from all perspectives.

All of what 10K said is great news!

Likely the funniest post in this thread right here.

Raide

Ever since Toukiden was cross play with Vita/PS4..... I was like

Holy shit why cant Capcom do Monster Hunter this well in a cross play environment

They need to follow Sony's footsteps and do it better than Sony did

If all 3 consoles are at a similar level, it would be a perfect time to have a cross-play MH game and help push the mainline version back to consoles and leave the spin-off stuff to mobile.

We are talking about Capcom though...

Furyous

Are there any leaks about their online infrastructure? That makes or breaks this system IMHO. I hope Nintendo execs are in a room with a PS4 and Xbox One copying down every detail using as "inspiration" to evolve their online infrastructure to catch up. Nintendo has enough money to rapidly catch up the feel of the competition. My hype level is increasing with every leak.

Schnozberry

2. ???

It's not magical thinking to believe that this will solve some of Nintendo's problems. The Wii U was a big swing and a miss from Nintendo because the concept was already outdated the moment it released and porting games over to it was not only complicated, but the hardware was anemic on top of it.

NX is already rumored to be a much more developer friendly system than Wii U, and now we've heard from numerous sources that it's powerful enough to get ports from major publishers. If Nintendo's differentiating features on NX are forward thinking enough that people immediately find them novel and useful, it would be a complete 180 degree turn from the Wii U's major failures.

Are there any leaks about their online infrastructure? That makes or breaks this system IMHO. I hope Nintendo execs are in a room with a PS4 and Xbox One copying down every detail using as "inspiration" to evolve their online infrastructure to catch up. Nintendo has enough money to rapidly catch up the feel of the competition. My hype level is increasing with every leak.

All we have is the current Nintendo Account system and confirmation of Cloud Saves

Breakage

Why do people think that Sony and Microsoft will retire PS4 and Xbox One to leave only their much more expensive versions on the market...?

If there's something that isn't significant when discussing NX's performances, it's the fact that PS4K and a beefed up Xbox One (if it does exist) will be more powerful, because they will be premium versions of existing machines that will release at a much higher price point.

Yeah, but ideally Sony and MS will want gamers to migrate over to their upgraded hardware. The current PS4 and X1 will be seen as inferior models regardless of how well they are supported.

THE:MILKMAN

I'm sure this has been asked, so sorry if a repeat.

If NX is more powerful across the board than PS4 doesn't it mean, given Nintendo always seem to do compact consoles, that to achieve this it would have to be a 14nm chip/APU?

I can't see 28nm/small box/more power than PS4 going together. Some have said 14nm is a no go this year for a console because of the volume needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom