• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

imjust1n

Banned
I think this would be a mistake tbh. As for Pikmin 4 I think that could slide in as an early December game.

It could be but they prob cant put all hands on the table if they dont have alot to work with when 1st party comes to mind smash is a big deal.

georly

Agree. Better Bayo 3. Why buy the same game again? Bayo 2 works perfectly, and the graphics are cool, no graphic update is needed.

Why not both? The more people that get to play bayo 2 the better. I'd personally take 3 over a 2 port, of course, but a criminally low number of people played 2.

I think Bayonetta 2 will be re-released in some form, but the question will be if it's in its own disc, in a collection of some sort, or a straight-up Virtual Console, digital-only thing.

But yeah, ideally, straight-up making Bayonetta 3 would be a great way to go.

In a perfect world there'd be a "best of PlatinumGames" collection that includes Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 and 2, and maaaaybe Starfox (though that one's expendable). That's wishful thinking though.

Instro

Wasn't there also a rumored FF6 remake exclusive to NX? Hyrule Fantasy is something I remember hearing about too...
Verendus may have hinted in that direction but I think that's mostly speculation based on his FF6 comments, and his comments regarding Nintendo getting a SE exclsuive. Maybe someone can clarify on this though.

ffdgh

That would be pretty damn good if Nintendo got FFXV and FF7 remake on NX. That would mean that KH3 wouldn't be out of the question considering it runs on unreal engine 4 and would probably sell alot better than the XONE version.

I wish. Oh how I wish lol.

ozfunghi

I'd like to think i'm at least taking Nintendo's past history into account when suggesting something. My ideas are based on that. And honestly, the things i've said about third parties are pretty rational coming from a business perspective. We've also seen the exact scenario play out before. But feel free to refute my suggestions and propose arguments as to how i'm wrong. This is a gaming forum after all.

You're basically assuming Nintendo will not do anything to change their 3rd party connections. Sure, in that case 3rd parties won't be coming back. Hard to argue with that. However, they could do plenty to change their situation. Bigger cuts, better deals, offer adverts... And again, you're the one making the assumptions based on no actual info but what you think you know from Nintendo's history. In case you didn't notice, Nintendo is very aware they need to change something. So that's why i responded. Other posters shouldn't assume too much according to you, but for you, it's ok to make assumptions about stuff nobody knows anything about.

And sure, it's a lot of fun to close your eyes and imagine a world where Nintendo finally launches a perfect product that fulfills all dreams and does everything right, but I personally think there's way more value in discussing a slightly more realistic and down-to-earth future.

Please, spare me this crap.

Koozek

First I've heard of it. I know Verendus has mentioned such a thing for Playstation though.
You're referring to this, but Verendus never said those were all Sony. He added the FFVI remake right around the time when others were tweeting rumors about Nintendo just having scooped a crazy exclusive title for NX, btw.
I've deleted the ones you don't need to worry about anymore since they've been announced.
Here is his list:

JRPG #1
JRPG #2
JRPG #3
JRPG #4
JRPG #5
New Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
New Parasite Eve
Monster Hunter PS4
DMC5
New Capcom TPS IP (Because we need more TPS)
New Prince of Persia
New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
New Sega Action/Adventure IP
New Marvel Action/Adventure title
New Soul Calibur
New Rockstar IP

P.S: We only have one title confirmed btw
Now which are the two I wasn't sure about out of the italicized? It's going to be hilarious coming back to this list next year. More hilarious when people realise what an obvious thing they missed from that initial post.

Neoxon

Because it's not strongly tied to the NX. No cross-libraries or any of that shit.
Iwata made it clear before he died that the next console & handheld will be "like brothers", citing iOS as an example. How tied the two devices will be to one-another is the main question. But considering the software droughts that both the Wii U & the 3DS faced, it wouldn't be wise to completely split the libraries of the two devices.

That would be pretty damn good if Nintendo got FFXV and FF7 remake on NX. That would mean that KH3 wouldn't be out of the question considering it runs on unreal engine 4 and would probably sell alot better than the XONE version.

FFVII Remake is never coming to NX b/c Sony is footing a decent chunk of the dev bill, just like w/ SF5.

KH3 could maybe see a port though. Unless NX is severely underpowered (which the rumors don't seem to suggest) there's more reasons it could get one than reason it can't or won't.

Dont know if this has already been posted, but someone on reddit compiled the rumored games in an image.

X0h7BJq.jpg
Other than Pikmin 4 those are all available on other platforms. So either some of them are gonna have some crazy good system-exclusive features or there isn't going to be a big incentive for those outside of the Nintendo hardcore to jump in at launch.

FFVII Remake is never coming to NX b/c Sony is footing a decent chunk of the dev bill, just like w/ SF5.

Unlike SFV, FFVII was never confirmed to be an exclusive, just that it will first debut on PS4.

Yeah but when you're a big multi-national corporation like Nintendo, your products have to be globalized.

I don't think Nintendo needs to prioritize something like Monster Hunter for the launch of their home console in the West, but they absolutely do for their handheld in Japan.

Likewise, I don't think Nintendo needs to prioritize western third-party support in Japan or on a handheld, but they absolutely do need to in the West and on a console.

KH3 could maybe see a port though. Unless NX is severely underpowered (which the rumors don't seem to suggest) there's more reasons it could get one than reason it can't or won't.

FFVII is only so far confirmed first on PS4 so that doesn't mean its console exclusive like SFV. Unless SE confirms its console exclusive on PS4 then its not out of the question that it could be released for other systems as well.

pastrami

By the way, has anyone discussed the possibility that these early devkits could be using stock components that are not representative of final hardware?

For example, the Durango prototype devkit had Intel CPUs (dual Xeon I believe) and Nvidia cards. And wasn't a 7950 used as well (possibly for PS4, despite the PS4 GPU being more equivalent to a 7850)? This could explain some of the discrepancy between x86 and ARM rumors.

Edit: This also led to a lot of rumors that the Xbox One would be better than the PS4, before they were revealed.

georly

You're basically assuming Nintendo will not do anything to change their 3rd party connections. Sure, in that case 3rd parties won't be coming back. Hard to argue with that. However, they could do plenty to change their situation. Bigger cuts, better deals, offer adverts... And again, you're the one making the assumptions based on no actual info but what you think you know from Nintendo's history. In case you didn't notice, Nintendo is very aware they need to change something. So that's why i responded. Other posters shouldn't assume too much according to you, but for you, it's ok to make assumptions about stuff nobody knows anything about.

With the wii U gen alone, nintendo built a ton of NEW bridges with japanese third party by letting them work on their IP. KT and BN are huge buddy buddies with nintendo now. MH did really well on 3DS also, so they're solid w/ capcom as well. SE did well on 3DS also. I fully expect those 4 JP publishers to at least make really solid attempts with nintendo for NX. Hopefully their support also encourages western 3rd party support, but who knows. Ubi adopts any new hardware, period, but if ubi actually puts forth a solid effort instead of throwing their D-teams at the NX, it might pay off this time.

I do not see EA, Bethesda, WB, or 2k/TT getting in on NX until it can prove itself as a viable console to port to. And that's all I ever see from them, ports. I see zero exclusives from those pubs for any reason, ever.
Also, Cloud is a playable character in SSB, which confirms FFVII.

Oh right, lol Capcom, SE, and BandaiNamco got reps in smash bros. Those 3 will 100% be on board w/ NX.

tr1p1ex

It's not really their culture. They just went with it when Gamecube flopped. Wii was a big hit, but after that their strategy of trying something "different" didn't work.

Why shouldn't Nintendo try to compete? Their market is people who want to play videogames on their tv. That's the same market as the one Playstation is going for.

IF doing their own thing wasn't in their culture then Nintendo would have quickly released a new controller for the GC that mimicked the controller standard of MS and Sony. They would have switched to DVDs. And they would have jumped onto online play.

Nintendo does its own thing.

And arguably the Wii U wasn't different enough. And neither was the 3ds. Even the CEO of NIntendo says he thought the Wii U wasn't different enough when it launched.

I don't think Nintendo can win by competing on price/features of the same box. That isn't their strength. And there isn't room for 3 of the same consoles. There is barely room for 2.

And making the same box is no guarantee of making money. Ask Sony last generation. I think they lost billions. ASk MS if they've made a dime overall since they entered the videogame business. I don't think they have.

Ivan 3414

Agree. Better Bayo 3. Why buy the same game again? Bayo 2 works perfectly, and the graphics are cool, no graphic update is needed.

It's not about having gamers buy the same game twice; it's about introducing her to a new audience. Bayonetta had renewed interest among gamers when she was included in Smash. A Bayonetta 2 port would make total sense for NX.

Instro

You're referring to this, but Verendus never said those were all Sony. He added the FFVI remake right around the time when others were tweeting rumors about Nintendo just having scooped a crazy exclusive title for NX, btw.

It would be super amusing if somehow Nintendo ended up with exclusive FF6R, and Sony had exclusive FF7R. What year is it??

Sony also footed the bill for Cloud to be in Smash too. Did you know that?

The FFVII talk confuses me. It's a timed exclusive on PS4, we know that much. And it's in chunks. Is the whole trilogy of games being released on PS4 first, then PC/NX as a complete collection, or will each game release first on PS4 then afterwards on other platforms?

Either way, it's pointless speculating this because it's at least a good few years away. If it is coming out for NX as well, it isn't going to be announced until the first game is close to being finished, if not on store shelves. FFXVI is far more likely.

Kurt

Dont know if this has already been posted, but someone on reddit compiled the rumored games in an image.

X0h7BJq.jpg

In this list, there are no new games listed from nintendo. Like the next 3D mario (which should already been about 3years or more in development...) there are going to be a few new 1st party titles at least...

The FFVII talk confuses me. It's a timed exclusive on PS4, we know that much. And it's in chunks. Is the whole trilogy of games being released on PS4 first, then PC/NX as a complete collection, or will each game release first on PS4 then afterwards on other platforms?

Either way, it's pointless speculating this because it's at least a good few years away. If it is coming out for NX as well, it isn't going to be announced until the first game is close to being finished, if not on store shelves. FFXVI is far more likely.
Its probably gonna be like the cod DLC

Peterc

Marketing is a huge factor, but Nintendo has to bring the goods too. If Nintendo wants to cast a wide net, it's time for them to finally embrace games like GTA on their consoles.

Yes, but xbox has and still we see that ps4 is blowing MS away.

This is a good example of a really important match that is playing now:

2016-04-13_2057.png

Every match thats played, it's always playstation, also at the commercial breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9RbxcA0sH8

Same with this video, mostly doesn't have allot to do about the game, but mainstream loves this.

What about MS, Nintendo, they have almost nothing.

So i really hope nintendo bring again some cool commercials again. They need to create the hype like they did on wii, but more like sony does.

This thing has to sell first and a few Japanese games not going to cut it .
When we start hearing rumors of western 3 rd party then i know nintendo on the right rack .

Oddduck

In this list, there are no new games listed from nintendo. Like the next 3D mario (which should already been about 3years or more in development...) there are going to be a few new 1st party titles at least...

Isn't Pikmin 4 a new first party game?

Josh5890

Yes, but xbox has and still we see that ps4 is blowing MS away.

This is a good example of a really important match that is playing now:

Every match thats played, it's always playstation, also at the commercial breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9RbxcA0sH8

Same with this video, mostly doesn't have allot to do about the game, but mainstream loves this.

What about MS, Nintendo, they have almost nothing.

So i really hope nintendo bring again some cool commercials again. They need to create the hype like they did on wii, but more like sony does.

Well, isn't Microsoft low in Europe? Sony seems to own that market although I could see Nintendo fighting for it. To me it seems...

East Asia- Nintendo easily on top. Sony is doing worse than past generations console wise. The Vita is doing fine. MS is well, yeah.

Europe. Sony dominates. Nintendo and MS pick up the scraps.

USA- Sony is winning the consoles. Nintendo is winning the handhelds. MS is doing fine at number 2 in the console race.

Other than Pikmin 4 those are all available on other platforms. So either some of them are gonna have some crazy good system-exclusive features or there isn't going to be a big incentive for those outside of the Nintendo hardcore to jump in at launch.

The BGE2 rumour is that it will be NX exclusive.

dcx4610

All I want from Nintendo at this point is a powerful system with 1st and 3rd party support. As much as they act like they are not, they are in competition with Sony and Microsoft and have to do better.

Hardcore gamers will flock to Nintendo if they actually deliver the best play experience just like we did with Sony this round.

Give me power and cutting edge like the SNES. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Just make a great video game system.

tr1p1ex

You have a few good guesses here speculating on the gimmick! See, that's again why I'm thinking there'll be a tablet or at least compatibility with tablets/smartphones. You'd have access to a camera for doing AR and/or VR things, a second screen for games (to do Wii U/DS/3DS things they've loved playing with these last many years), access to separate software that you can take with you (again, they mentioned focusing on their NX games and their mobile software as different, yet related), additional processing power and behind-the-scenes oomph (SCD, just as one option), and the ability to do QOL and/or IOT stuff, especially with a dock (for their proprietary tablet or for, say, the latest iPhone and Galaxy).

I think they are responding to the whole "mobile will kill gaming" chatter by not viewing it as a competitor, but by bridging the gaps. Geez, the dock mentioned above could actually be a controller/DS-type shell that is compatible with smartphones and could let you do a reverse SCD thing and play your NX games around the house. I just really feel the NX is going to provide their "response" to the mobile wave and shift in how games are played, consumed, etc., at home and on the go.

I have a similar feeling about Nintendo bridging mobile and dedicated gaming platforms.

I think it comes from a few places.

1) Nintendo is all about being creative with old/cheap tech.

2) From the get go, people wished everyone had their own 2nd screen on the Wii U. 1v1 local multiplayer Madden or ZElda 4 Swords etc.

3) I bought Jackbox for the PS4 a few months ago which is a multiplayer party game whose only controller option is smartphones and it works quite well. My mind went right to Nintendo and what if the much better financed Nintendo could utilize this concept and make it work for their games.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ports... *yawns*... wake me up when they have a brand spanking new actual 3D platforming Mario game and then we'll talk.

Look I get why Nintendo would want to do some ports to fill out the lineup. Plus a port like Smash makes sense as Smash 5 wouldn't be even be close without the port. Plus it's a perfect game that could have a "goty" like rerelease with all of the DLC included.

That being said the idea that Nintendo suddenly needs to port their whole lineup from the Wii U is frick'n stupid.

Ahab

Banned
what would you do if the nx was free and all the games. But you had to pay $29.99 a month for it?

That would be retarded and would never catch on. The majority of sales still come from physical games, third parties would never agree to a service like that, publishers would be undermining the value of their IPs/games, I could go on.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yup, still my favorite gif, especially because it works twice. One for how bad we were at guessing Wii U and again for NX speculation - we'll see if it rings true this time, lol.

We will see. I remember LOTR GIF actually came true like a year later or so.

Do kids still ask for consoles for Christmas? I honestly don't know. I feel like they do but I'm pretty out of touch with the 12 and under crowd. :p

I'm pretty sure they did. I heard few tales from my friends.

georly

That would be retarded and would never catch on. The majority of sales still come from physical games, third parties would never agree to a service like that, publishers would be undermining the value of their IPs/games, I could go on.

It'd get a ton of phone games trying to port over and cash in on some sweet subscription money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom