• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not really sure if believe these rumors or not. It reminds on of the WiiU rumors when the WiiU was suppose to be noticeably more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, but that didnt happen. However, i think there is a chance that Nintendo saw the lack of 3rd party support due to the big hardware power difference, so who knows. But then again, there is also the price to concider. Hard to say.

Balb

No they are highlighting my point Nintendo is wasting time on ports for the hardcore that will do nothing for them. Neither of those audiences really buy Nintendo. I remember need for speed as well on WiiU and it had shit sales too. Let's encourage Nintendo to waste another generation on ports or things that won't really sell be it big or small sales vs getting things people want on their platforms. If even some of the worst Turok games on n64 outsell Cod you have problem in reaching your audience or understanding them. Until Nintendo does this well and third parties try to give a shit don't see how you get a healthy platform.

It's possible to change the negative "third party on Nintendo" image, but it'd take a lot of effort on Nintendo's part to do that.

Wildean

Does anybody have any statistical evidence that the bolded demographic actually went to "mobile" gaming or did they just drop out of gaming all together. Everybody on the internet says this but I yet to see any definite proof that mobile gamers are the same gamers that would actually buy dedicated gaming hardware.

Well regardless of whether they are gaming on phones or not, Wii and DS style gimmicks brought them onboard, but what possible gimmick is left that can do the same, because they sure didn't buy Wii U?

Persona7

Banned
Splatoon and MM? holy shit...I will buy the NX day one instead of year two if these are available at launch or shortly after launch. I really hope this pans out because those are two of my favorite games.

MK_768

I can agree to that.

I think we will see a new 3D mario but no date. I think we will see pikmin 4 for a launch window not day one I think Zelda is a day one for the system. Smash port I think is a launch window. I think we will get lots of 3rd party support from up coming games from EA UBI Square. I just want to be surpised

I think this would be a mistake tbh. As for Pikmin 4 I think that could slide in as an early December game.

Kurt

The most important part in selling a system is marketing.
It's the main reason why the ps4 is selling so well.

Hardcore gamers are only a small part of the gaming population.

Game Examples :
Mainstream games like Fifa x (a lot of ps4 hype commercials) and games like Gta x

The media has such a large impact on a lot of people.
This is not something that only apply on the gaming division. But on everything.

So yeah , is x going to be successful? it depends on those factors.

Peterc

Lol Nintendo, releasing a more stronger PS4/XB1 just as both of those consoles are about to upgrade their power...

They aren't gonna win this fight..

They better have a shiny new gimmick as backup

They have already shoulder buttons, rumble, 3d stick, but you mean something new?

Malakai

Well regardless of whether they are gaming on phones or not, Wii and DS style gimmicks brought them onboard, but what possible gimmick is left that can do the same, because they sure didn't buy Wii U?

More likely than not, I will wager that they don't even know that the Wii U even exists...

MK_768

Not really sure if believe these rumors or not. It reminds on of the WiiU rumors when the WiiU was suppose to be noticeably more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, but that didnt happen. However, i think there is a chance that Nintendo saw the lack of 3rd party support due to the big hardware power difference, so who knows. But then again, there is also the price to concider. Hard to say.

Wasn't there also a report that the Wii U saw a power decrease within a year of launch? I see that get thrown around here but I know how GAF likes to creates facts lol.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Be content with Wii U sales. Get the other revenue from wheverver else.. amiibo, theme parks whatever.

That is the absolute worst case scneario as in stop bothering scenario. They ended production of the Wii u this year. that's how happy they are with those sales. i doubt they ever made any money off the hardware ordinanilly. They simply shifted excess stock and completey wound down production. Wii u was a disaster completely unsustaniable sales. These companies work off ecconomies of scale for a company like Nintendo they'd be bettr off leaving consoles completely.

Balb

Game Examples :
Mainstream games like Fifa x (a lot of ps4 hype commercials) and games like Gta x

This is not something that only apply on the gaming division. But on everything.

Marketing is a huge factor, but Nintendo has to bring the goods too. If Nintendo wants to cast a wide net, it's time for them to finally embrace games like GTA on their consoles.

Eradicate

NX gimmick brainstorm:

pico-projector - play your console games on any wall. no tv needed.

VR - mobile-style ...use your phone/2nd screen in dummy goggles that talk to NX.

AR - combination of projector/goggles to make games that play in your enviroment.

Toys2Life x 10 - Taking T2L to the next level. Maybe in conjunction with AR.

handheld = console - 1 device to rule them all

smartphone as the controller - instantly gives everyone enough controllers for multiplayer of any size. tons of new 2nd screen stuff Nintendo can do if everyone has their own screen. would also have sticks/buttons/dpad in the form of a regular controller or controller shell for the smartphone. Possible you could also play Nintendo games on your controller when not at the console.

You have a few good guesses here speculating on the gimmick! See, that's again why I'm thinking there'll be a tablet or at least compatibility with tablets/smartphones. You'd have access to a camera for doing AR and/or VR things, a second screen for games (to do Wii U/DS/3DS things they've loved playing with these last many years), access to separate software that you can take with you (again, they mentioned focusing on their NX games and their mobile software as different, yet related), additional processing power and behind-the-scenes oomph (SCD, just as one option), and the ability to do QOL and/or IOT stuff, especially with a dock (for their proprietary tablet or for, say, the latest iPhone and Galaxy).

I think they are responding to the whole "mobile will kill gaming" chatter by not viewing it as a competitor, but by bridging the gaps. Geez, the dock mentioned above could actually be a controller/DS-type shell that is compatible with smartphones and could let you do a reverse SCD thing and play your NX games around the house. I just really feel the NX is going to provide their "response" to the mobile wave and shift in how games are played, consumed, etc., at home and on the go.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wasn't there also a report that the Wii U saw a power decrease within a year of launch? I see that get thrown around here but I know how GAF likes to creates facts lol.
Now that you mention it, i think i remember such a rumor too, indeed. Not sure if it was true or not though.

Griss

The fundamental question here, for me, is: what audience that Nintendo isn't currently reaching is still realistically available to them? Most of us can agree that mobile has the casual audience locked down. The PS4/XB1 audience is already well served by those platforms. What's left?

What's left? The young child audience that has a 3DS but whose parents won't let them get a mobile phone yet because they're 5-12 years old, and people who live in a house/dorms where the TV is often taken and playing real video games on the couch or in bed is appealing.

So, the handheld audience. Whoops.

Seriously though, can't believe the NX isn't a handheld.

Servbot24

Banned
Does anybody have any statistical evidence that the bolded demographic actually went to "mobile" gaming or did they just drop out of gaming all together. Everybody on the internet says this but I yet to see any definite proof that mobile gamers are the same gamers that would actually buy dedicated gaming hardware.

Do kids still ask for consoles for Christmas? I honestly don't know. I feel like they do but I'm pretty out of touch with the 12 and under crowd. :p

Trago

Marketing is a huge factor, but Nintendo has to bring the goods too. If Nintendo wants to cast a wide net, it's time for them to finally embrace games like GTA on their consoles.

No one will take them seriously if they don't get GTA and Bethesda games on their console.

They basically have a huge publisher checklist to get through, and it's gonna be a hell of a fight for them.

Trogdor1123

That is the absolute worst case scneario as in stop bothering scenario. They ended production of the Wii u this year. that's how happy they are with those sales. i doubt they ever made any money off the hardware ordinanilly. They simply shifted excess stock and completey wound down production. Wii u was a disaster completely unsustaniable sales. These companies work off ecconomies of scale for a company like Nintendo they'd be bettr off leaving consoles completely.
They said they didn't cease production

Schnozberry

I think GTA on Nintendo was never an issue of content, and more an issue of Take Two/Rockstar not wanting to spend the resources on it. I mean, Bayonetta 2 has camera angles that probably would have gotten Rockstar dragged in front of Congress.

Peterc

Game Examples :

True,
I'm a digital marketeer, it's about marketing. If you do it well, you can sell even the worst games to the mainstream. Sony is really good in marketing.

Mory Dunz

I'd like to think i'm at least taking Nintendo's past history into account when suggesting something. My ideas are based on that. And honestly, the things i've said about third parties are pretty rational coming from a business perspective. We've also seen the exact scenario play out before. But feel free to refute my suggestions and propose arguments as to how i'm wrong. This is a gaming forum after all.

And sure, it's a lot of fun to close your eyes and imagine a world where Nintendo finally launches a perfect product that fulfills all dreams and does everything right, but I personally think there's way more value in discussing a slightly more realistic and down-to-earth future. Because no matter what people say, Nintendo still has quite an uphill battle ahead if it wants to re-establish itself in the market in a big way.

Yeah, personally I'm not expecting much in terms of 3rd parties. The most I see would be Japan with stuff like ni no kuni, dq11, MH, etc. But the big western games? Don't see it as of yet. (CoD and AC could come back like they did for Wii U to start)

Peru

Funny that this is the tone from some people here now:

Lol Nintendo, releasing a more stronger PS4/XB1 just as both of those consoles are about to upgrade their power...

They aren't gonna win this fight..

They better have a shiny new gimmick as backup

A month or two ago if you polled the forum people would've guessed the NX would be somewhere between the XBO and PS4 power-wise. That was the general assumption in the NX speculation threads. Now that we have pretty solid insider info on it being more powerful, I'm not sure if it's because people are defensive or what, but suddenly this better-than-expected horsepower is 'lol but soon it won't be the fastest anymore'.

Thing is this is beyond expectations because the NX is not competing directly for the same market share as those two and Steam. The goal has been pretty clear from the start: Make a system that's supported enough by Nintendo and their Japanese friends to be successful INDEPENDENT of (western) third parties.

We know the market for Nintendo games is there. We know the 3DS is still pushing software in big numbers. We know that if the NX systems share a library across handheld and console there will be many tens of millions of customers you can realistically depend upon buying it - and that the company's greatest strengths in the Japanese market and the western market will be combined.

So not only is a 'shrug' reaction to what seems to be a more graphically up-do-date Nintendo than in a long time odd, it's also missing the point: Nintendo should not go for the same experiences as the overcrowded PC-like one other consoles do.

Trogdor1123

Game Examples :

Kids ask for tablets and phones, any parent with a young child will tell you that.
Consoles are still super popular, I got kids and them and their friends want them. They want tablets too though 100% agree

bachikarn

Be content with Wii U sales. Get the other revenue from wheverver else.. amiibo, theme parks whatever.

I'm not against that strategy but I think they can still do better than Wii U. A lot of Nintendo fans are still core gamers and would appreciate better graphics and don't need expensive gimmicks. The Wii U was generally unappealing so fix those issues and make a competitive box and they'll do better. I still maintain my theory there are a sizeable amount of Nintendo fans who skipped on the Wii U, especially when it was apparent it was going to be killed early.

Balb

I think GTA on Nintendo was never an issue of content, and more an issue of Take Two/Rockstar not wanting to spend the resources on it. I mean, Bayonetta 2 has camera angles that probably would have gotten Rockstar dragged in front of Congress.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about content. I just meant popular Western third party games like Fallout and Minecraft (not having this game for the longest time is one of the biggest blunders in recent Nintendo history).

Ultimately it's up to Nintendo to get third party publishers on board, even if they aren't initially interested. Microsoft had a similar uphill battle but overcame it with the Xbox 360 by being developer-friendly.

Schnozberry

Kids ask for tablets and phones, any parent with a young child will tell you that.

Depends on what's available. My daughter (She's 5) loves to watch Netflix on the iPad, but when she wants to play games she's on Yoshi's Wooly World or Mario 3D World. She even takes the gamepad with her to the bathroom like all Wii U Gaffers.

Schnozberry

Yeah, I wasn't talking about content. I just meant popular Western third party games like Fallout and Minecraft (not having this game for the longest time is one of the biggest blunders in recent Nintendo history).

Ultimately it's up to Nintendo to get third party publishers on board, even if they aren't initially interested. Microsoft had a similar uphill battle but overcame it with the Xbox 360 by being developer-friendly.

I agreed, engaging developers and placing something in front of them that isn't maddeningly frustrating to develop for and underpowered like the Wii U is a good first step. They should also engage third parties to develop marketing strategies and take their input to heart.

Anth0ny

NX and PS4K and putting us into an unprecedented time in gaming history. Something like this has never happened before, so it'll be really interesting to see how it shakes out. I honestly don't think PS4K will do all that well, but I have no idea of knowing if that's true or not. I only see it being appealing to a subset of a subset of gamers. NX has the nintendo stigma that they've been building for nearly 20 years now, so It'll be interesting to see if they can overcome that. Exciting times ahead.

I see it the same way but once the Sony marketing machine revs up and the new COD looks THAT MUCH SICKER on PS4K, who knows.

Isn't Nintendo prepared to deal with that, though? I mean, based on everything we know about the NX, isn't the entire point of the NX to allow Nintendo to build a shared gaming library that can be accessed and played on numerous devices, even when new systems with hardware improvements are released?

Sure, but going into this year I saw a decent situation where they'd leapfrog the competition, at least by a little bit, until the next generation of consoles start. Now that PS4K is a thing, they're still playing catchup, even with a brand new console launch. It's tough to ALWAYS be playing catchup. Is Nintendo to release an upgraded NX that is as/more powerful than PS4K next year? I don't know how plausible that is.

bachikarn

Even if you set aside current PS4/XB1 owners: what exactly will make NX a more compelling upgrade path for PS3/360 gamers than those platforms? Is it slightly better specs, Mario, or what?

Nope. They need to do more. Like have good graphics, good online, achievements and other features that gamers expect.

More importantly they need to make exclusive games that would appeal to that audience. I think Zelda is such a game, but it never came out on Wii U which I speculate was a big deal. They also need Retro to make games that appeal to Western gamers. Fund other third party projects that do, but don't just do niche stuff like Bayonetta or Devil's Third. Get something truly good like Resident Evil 4.

I'm not saying this will be easy but I think it is a lot more likely to make an impact then betting big on whatever new shitty gimmick they come up with.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nope. They need to do more. Like have good graphics, good online, achievements and other features that gamers expect.

More importantly they need to make exclusive games that would appeal to that audience. I think Zelda is such a game, but it never came out on Wii U which I speculate was a big deal. They also need Retro to make games that appeal to Western gamers. Fund other third party projects that do, but don't just do niche stuff like Bayonetta or Devil's Third. Get something truly good like Resident Evil 4.

I'm not saying this will be easy but I think it is a lot more likely to make an impact then betting big on whatever new shitty gimmick they come up with.

Free online good online and third party exclusives, are probably the only major ones.Won't blow skirts but a big new gimmick is just as likely to turn them off as it is to get them on board.

Matbtz

Wat? I doubt they can accomplish this for such a low price, would be nice but still i somehow doubt it (maybe i'm wrong and technology is already cheap enough for this)

What if the NX's gimmick was sort of based on Johnny Lee's experiment with headtracking ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw ). But maybe this will just be like the 3D effect from the 3DS on the TV, I don't know if they really could do something more with that gimmick...

Ahab

Banned
Thing is that's the only and I mean only confirmed information we have about the NX, straight from Iwata himself.

He never said there would be cross libraries, he said they might share similar architecture to allow ports between the two to fill gaps in their respective lineups. Not fully shared libraries that shittons of people here misinterpreted that statement as.

Neiteio

If they can get a Splatoon port to work and feel like adding extra content to entice people to upgrade, I suggest:

- New single-player content that lets you play as Callie and Marie: Many Splatoon fans would LOVE this and be all over it like stank on shit (and the players with good taste would naturally choose Marie)

- A ton of new gear, exclusive to NX, but visible to WiiU users. And the plazas in the WiiU version would always include a mix of NX players, so the new gear would be continually advertised to WiiU players. "If ya wanna look fresh, ya gotta go NX!"

- Beyond that, the expected audiovisual upgrades. Most notably, native 1080p to go with the locked 60 fps, and anti-aliasing out the butt for the crispest IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom